The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 31 December 2017, 04:24 AM   #1
Tarnsman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex, Oris
Icon5 Introduction... and looking for input.

Hello folks!
My first introduction to nice watches was when I inherited my grandfather's Omega Seamaster gifted to him by my father in the 60's. I watched some old movie where the protagonist is stranded and trades his Omega for a boat. A decade ago I bought my own Seamaster with the gorgeous blue wavy dial and have worn it ever since. I am thinking its time for an upgrade to celebrate a milestone, and pretty much had my heart set on a Rolex Submariner. Unfortunately the AD's in my city have low inventory, and not very personable (stand at the counter and show you one at a time sort of deal). Then I walked into an an Omega AD (plus other brands like ORIS, Hamilton, Tissot, etc) and the guy was super personable, spent over an hour with me showing me watches and getting to know what I value (uniqueness, materials, technology, timelessness - weird combo). He offered to order me a GSotM Meteorite (which I love the idea of - I am a big fan of spaceflight) at a discount to put it in the same price point of the Submariner. However, I have not seen the GSotM in person.

My wife and friends (not watch people) are pretty strongly in favor of the Rolex because of its clean looks and brand recognition. That said, my boss wears a cheaper steel rolex, and even though I think the blue two tone submariner is beautiful, I am worried it would be ostentatious.

I would never resell. I would make this purchase a daily wear, and want something I can wear with jeans, on the boat, as well as dress in the office, and then hand down to my son one day. I figured that since this is an Omega section on a Rolex forum I can get some input from those of you who own multiple brands on this once in a lifetime purchase decision. Who knows though, I would love to collect more in the future but it wouldn't be at this level.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Tarnsman
Tarnsman is offline   Reply With Quote