The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 20 May 2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Hfdcowboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
AD experience today

So I went to my biggest local AD today to look at the Rolex case. When I walked in I got the normal greeting and as I approached the Rolex cases, I glanced over to see a sales person showing a customer a watch at the PP kiosk. As I looked away and focused my attention back to the Rolex case I heard a sound that sounded like something hitting the floor followed by oh sh*t.

Yes the sales person dropped a PP annual calender from the shoulder high wall case to the floor. When I looked back he was bent over picking it up and then quickly starting examining it and stuttering to the customer. He put the watch back and they quickly moved to the estate watch case, and I was able to go look at the watch to which I couldn't see any damage from what little I could see.

I am a Rolex guy who lusts after pp, maybe one day. But my heart sank when I seen this. Then I was impressed that the watch seemed to survive the fall. My girlfriend noted when it happened that I was staring, but I couldn't help myself it was a flood of emotion.
Hfdcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 10:12 AM   #2
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
These things are covered under warranty and insurance, if it was truly broken I am sure they can send back to PP to fix at a small cost or free.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:43 AM   #3
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
These things are covered under warranty and insurance, if it was truly broken I am sure they can send back to PP to fix at a small cost or free.

^^^^this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:57 AM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Perhaps the buyer will find this out.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:01 PM   #5
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I would hope the AD would very very carefully look over the watch.

Old 20 May 2018, 02:38 PM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I would hope the AD would very very carefully look over the watch.

Salesman probably didn’t say
Old 20 May 2018, 06:18 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
im more worried about them not wanting to get fired and putting the watch back into the display case and not mentioning it. Then you buy it and its broken. Petek then denies a warranty claim because it was exposed to "shock" which isn't covered and you are screwed.

I saw the same thing from outside the AP boutique in paris once. A sales associate was putting a watch back into the window and dropped it. Then bent down, picked it up and proceeded to place it into the window again. I was standing outside looking at the window and im positive they didn't think anyone was watching.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 07:09 PM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
im more worried about them not wanting to get fired and putting the watch back into the display case and not mentioning it. Then you buy it and its broken. Petek then denies a warranty claim because it was exposed to "shock" which isn't covered and you are screwed.

I saw the same thing from outside the AP boutique in paris once. A sales associate was putting a watch back into the window and dropped it. Then bent down, picked it up and proceeded to place it into the window again. I was standing outside looking at the window and im positive they didn't think anyone was watching.
Does the warranty actually exclude ‘shock’ damage?
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 07:33 PM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Does the warranty actually exclude ‘shock’ damage?
yes. Its not a manufacturing defect and you were using the watch improperly. Its damage vs a flaw. Insurance would cover it though.

You would have a hard time explaining that you didn't drop the watch when the movement damage would show otherwise. Im not saying they would refuse to fix it for free as a goodwill gesture, but they could say no.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 07:54 PM   #10
SW1
Banned

Probably whete the "sticky date" problem otiginates
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 01:24 AM   #11
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
PP to fix at a small cost or free...I doubt it. Some insurance company will bear the full cost of repair of any traumatic damage which is not covered under the PP warranty.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:51 AM   #12
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
heartbreaking, although my understanding is that most pieces are highly resistant to shock damage. I think the primary concern would be cosmetic damage of some kind.

Insurance would cover either way but I bet the deductible is high for this sort of thing.
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:07 AM   #13
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I saw the same thing happen at a very famous AD in Chicago. Except it was with a Lange and it dropped from standing position to the floor.

The salesman picked it up and just put it back in the case. Didn’t bother to check the timing or if the pusher action still works. Witnessing that really made me not want to purchase anything from them. But hey, what are you going to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:33 AM   #14
EDL7
"TRF" Member

You would be surprised how much this happens..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 05:18 PM   #15
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
It's like buying an egg that's been dropped... crack no crack.. damage inside ?
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 08:29 PM   #16
matbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 & 5167
And then people wonder why their new rolex is a lemon watches are delicate things its best not to drop them, I had a similar experience where pizza was dropped on the floor in restaurant only to be picked up and topped with basil then served to the unsuspecting customer
matbaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 08:34 PM   #17
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Things happen. I bet it occurs more than we think.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote