The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 April 2023, 12:32 AM   #1
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
Got a call...thoughts??

So, on Saturday I got a call from an AD. I have been on their list for about 18 months or so - but for an OP or a Datejust (really want the GMT though - updated my choices with them now since I have acquired a DJ).

Anyway, they have a 36mm Explorer 1 they are offering me. It's not really what I want next - GMT BLRO is my first choice. My wife wants one of the mint green, galaxy bezel Datejust 31s. The Explorer is on my list but it's somewhere in maybe 4th or 5th down my list. Apparently they called me because I was ok with a 36mm Datejust.

Not sure if I should get it to maintain the relationship or just say no and hold out for what I want. I was not on the list to get an Explorer from them, but got the random call. My wife isn't going to be too much more tolerant of me spending this kind of money on watches for much longer - I have four Rolexes at this point. She wants new flooring in the house...priorities ya know...

I will be up there (about two hours from me) on Thursday and can see it in person if it hasn't sold.

Obviously, I would like to maintain the relationship, but if I pass on this am I getting bumped from them forever??

I am on the "list" at another AD for the same two watches.

Thoughts???

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 12:33 AM   #2
Livinlrge
Banned

One thing to consider is you were most likely not the first call so someone else passed on it already.

I passed on a Explorer 1 while waiting for a Explorer 2 white dial. Got the call about 30 days later for what I wanted..September of 2022.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Livinlrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 12:44 AM   #3
Rad22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
Do not buy something you don’t want. I’ve turned down multiple pieces from my AD and it has not stopped me from getting the ones I want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
126710 BLRO
326934 Blue
Rad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 12:44 AM   #4
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinlrge View Post
One thing to consider is you were most likely not the first call so someone else passed on it already.

I passed on a Explorer 1 while waiting for a Explorer 2 white dial. Got the call about 30 days later for what I wanted..September of 2022.

That's what I am hoping. That I can pass on this and hopefully get either of the other ones I really want.

The Mint Green DJ31 is the one my wife said was the most beautiful watch she had ever seen. I would like to get it for her - but she is scared to death to touch any of mine. I almost think she would be scared to wear it if I got it for her.

The GMT I think would really fit perfectly in my collection. I think the Explorer would as well - but just prefer the GMT.

PDG
Old 27 April 2023, 12:46 AM   #5
Livinlrge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari308 View Post
That's what I am hoping. That I can pass on this and hopefully get either of the other ones I really want.

The Mint Green DJ31 is the one my wife said was the most beautiful watch she had ever seen. I would like to get it for her - but she is scared to death to touch any of mine. I almost think she would be scared to wear it if I got it for her.

The GMT I think would really fit perfectly in my collection. I think the Explorer would as well - but just prefer the GMT.

PDG
My first GMT was in 2014 with a discount but I know the waits are longer now. Just general opinion based on other incoming threads, the DJ seem more accessible then the sport watches so I'm sure you'll get a call sooner then you think.

My wife's first watch was a Cartier and that thing gets scratched to hell, her Rolex holds up so much better..she wears her DJ and it does pretty good with wear and tear especially putting the wine glass up and down. Haha

Livinlrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 12:48 AM   #6
doublevanose82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 36mm
Honestly you if want a GMT BLRO, grey might be the way to go.

Buying one or two DJs is not going to move you to the top of the list and this is coming from someone who thinks the DJ is the best Rolex.
doublevanose82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 12:50 AM   #7
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinlrge View Post
My first GMT was in 2014 with a discount but I know the waits are longer now. Just general opinion based on other incoming threads, the DJ seem more accessible then the sport watches so I'm sure you'll get a call sooner then you think.

In late 2021 I was offered a DJ with a Rhodium dial - I had walked into an AD just after they had put it out. I thought about it, but it wasn't the right time for me. I wasn't looking right then - so I passed.

This is the first time I got a call from an AD offering me anything. So that part was kind of exciting - to know that I am still on their list. I figure stopping by there when I am up there isn't going to hurt my chances either.

I have been leaning toward passing on it - simply because it's not the one I want right now.

PDG
Old 27 April 2023, 01:03 AM   #8
espressojoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
So I may have a different perspective on this and I recognize that I don't have a lot of purchase history with my AD. I had several watches on my list (Daytona - of course, GMT, OP) in different sizes and color combinations.

Due to financial circumstances, I can't buy all of them even if I got a call for them, so I adjusted my list according to what I know I can afford and WANT to buy in the next 3-12 months. The Daytona stays on the list, but I now only have the OP with celebration dial on my list. Once I get it, then I will update the list again.

My AD knows this OP is important and I won't waste his time or mine going through long lists. Now...if I get a call on the Daytona, I'll have to figure out how to remove one of my kidneys.
espressojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 01:09 AM   #9
VerticalClutch
Banned

I'm a strike while the iron is hot kind of guy. My SA tells me she'll have me a BLRO this calendar year; I believe her. If I got a call like this for a watch I want eventually, but isn't at the top of my list, I'd buy it. Why not? I'd just make sure getting this watch doesn't hurt my spot in line on the BLRO. I wouldn't burn an allocation on it so to speak.

If finances don't allow, that's a totally different story, but if you want it eventually anyways, I'd snap it up. When you do decide it's the top of your list, you'll have to wait for it and be mad you didn't buy it now.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 01:17 AM   #10
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I would say do not do so. If the AD has any value to you as a customer they will not hold it against you. It’s not your desire or on your list/radar it will never be one that you want given it would be more of a purchase you felt obligated to make and the priorities where they are you mentioned.
Old 27 April 2023, 01:19 AM   #11
VerticalClutch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressojoe View Post
So I may have a different perspective on this and I recognize that I don't have a lot of purchase history with my AD. I had several watches on my list (Daytona - of course, GMT, OP) in different sizes and color combinations.

Due to financial circumstances, I can't buy all of them even if I got a call for them, so I adjusted my list according to what I know I can afford and WANT to buy in the next 3-12 months. The Daytona stays on the list, but I now only have the OP with celebration dial on my list. Once I get it, then I will update the list again.

My AD knows this OP is important and I won't waste his time or mine going through long lists. Now...if I get a call on the Daytona, I'll have to figure out how to remove one of my kidneys.
This made me think of another thing; reality. Has your SA told you the BLRO is a reality? The quote above has two of the hardest to get models on their list without a lot of purchase history with the AD. Not to be rude, but I'd say that's unrealistic. I respect the position, but I'd wager he'll never see a call for one of those unless there is more to the story.

I have a great history with my AD and when I'm told I'll get one this calendar year, I know they mean it. They wouldn't make a promise like that and not follow up. We go back too far for that.

An Explorer 36 is very realistic. You can hold out for Ana de Armas, and I'll respect the determination, but I wouldn't recommend you pass on a really great lady who loves you just in case Ana shows up some day. How likely is Ana to slide in your DM's is something I'd look into.

ETA: I agree the AD won't hold it against you if you pass. I've always felt that to be odd, they understand.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 01:27 AM   #12
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
Simple, if you don't want don't buy it. I have turned down a few PM pieces recently as I don't like them (I collect mainly PM pieces). My AD understood fully, as he said, don't buy anything you don't like. One of them was a RG GMT, which I am kicking myself a bit about, also a RG Daytona which I did not like.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 02:07 AM   #13
waxy88
"TRF" Member

Buy the Explorer I!
It is a kick-ass watch and probably one of the best and most truly traditional watches that Rolex currently has in its line up
I am also waiting for an Exp I and BLRO and I know for a fact if I had both I would wear the Explorer way more than the Pepsi
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 02:11 AM   #14
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

I sincerely appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

I am not sold on the Explorer. I like it, but having watched some videos on it, the bracelet taper down to 14mm seems a bit odd. Maybe I will try it (if still available) and see what I think then.

I am not afraid to go to a gray market dealer - did that to get my TT Daytona. It was unworn and only a few days after the warranty card - so quite happy with that.

Given the option, I would like to buy my GMT from an AD just to have the experience. My other Rolexes were bought on the secondary market. I buy and I keep - I am not a flipper. I intend to pass these on to my kids/grandkids.

I am a big fan of Magnum PI and which watch did he wear? The Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 and the Rolex Pepsi GMT. I have the reissue of the Chronosport ordered, but I don't have the Pepsi. I have the Ferrari 308 (see my screen name) and I wear the Hawaiian type shirts ALL the time. I am known in my circle for wearing them - even down to the same brand and same designs as I can find them.

So, eventually, I will own the GMT - it is simply a matter of time - even if I have to go vintage - I don't care. It's just a part of my formative years that I want to fulfill.

Ideally, I want the Pepsi on a jubilee, but if I find one on the Oyster that works just as well for me.

PDG
Old 27 April 2023, 02:13 AM   #15
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxy88 View Post
Buy the Explorer I!
It is a kick-ass watch and probably one of the best and most truly traditional watches that Rolex currently has in its line up
I am also waiting for an Exp I and BLRO and I know for a fact if I had both I would wear the Explorer way more than the Pepsi
I like it a lot, but am just afraid of potentially overextending myself and not being ready to buy the Pepsi or the DJ for my wife.

I really do think it is a perfect watch - I just don't know if it is right for me right now if that makes sense.

PDG
Old 27 April 2023, 02:43 AM   #16
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Possibly 4th or 5th on the list? Talk about a "relationship builder."

No way I'd buy that.

GMT models are finally dropping on the Grey market. Buy Grey when it crosses your threshold or wait for the AD. Things will get better. Avoid FOMO.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 02:57 AM   #17
triple.lindy
2024 Pledge Member

My experience is be careful what you ask for!

If you give an AD a list of watches they will usually call with the least desirable/easiest to get first and reserve the hard to obtain for down the road. They probably don’t take into account what your priority list is or they know you will buy because you don’t want to hurt your chances for the Pepsi.

Most people walk into an AD and ask for a sub, Pepsi, etc., and throw around a few others like DJ, explorer, or something for the wife. Then they get the call for one of the less desirable on their list.

I’m not one in favor of buying something you don’t want but I also don’t think anyone should put something on their wishlist that they aren’t prepared to pull the trigger on. If it wasn’t something on your list and they offer it, no harm in passing on it. But if it was on your list and now you’re having second thoughts, no problem but they may not take you as seriously IMO. And unfortunately In current times the hard to get stuff is usually only gettable with some purchase history.

The first thing I always tell any Friends and family that I have connected with my AD is “be careful what you ask for because he will call you with one and it usually won’t be your first choice!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triple.lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 03:01 AM   #18
Law52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmmmm
Pass. After you buy enough of what you don’t really want you could just buy Grey and be enjoying the watch you want tomorrow.
Law52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 03:07 AM   #19
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Obviously, I would like to maintain the relationship, but if I pass on this am I getting bumped from them forever??

Thoughts???

PDG
I don't see how declining a watch you never asked for would hurt the "relationship". I've declined at least 5 offers from my AD and she is still sending me offers of Datejusts I don't want lol.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 03:11 AM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Buy your wife the flooring
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 04:04 AM   #21
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Hard pass. Let someone else who really wants the Exp 36 get the call. If AD won't consider you for what you want, it's because they'd rather mIlk you as much as they can. Better move on.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 04:52 AM   #22
Pop Art Suzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Old 27 April 2023, 04:54 AM   #23
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
pass and wait for what you want
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 04:58 AM   #24
theblueblack
Banned

Sounds like you can’t afford it tbh.
theblueblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 05:02 AM   #25
JTL31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Hard pass. Let someone else who really wants the Exp 36 get the call. If AD won't consider you for what you want, it's because they'd rather mIlk you as much as they can. Better move on.
+ 1 to both!!
I find it ridiculous that people are spending $$ for something they DON’T want with the HOPE of getting something they want.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 05:18 AM   #26
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple.lindy View Post
My experience is be careful what you ask for!

If you give an AD a list of watches they will usually call with the least desirable/easiest to get first and reserve the hard to obtain for down the road. They probably don’t take into account what your priority list is or they know you will buy because you don’t want to hurt your chances for the Pepsi.

Most people walk into an AD and ask for a sub, Pepsi, etc., and throw around a few others like DJ, explorer, or something for the wife. Then they get the call for one of the less desirable on their list.

I’m not one in favor of buying something you don’t want but I also don’t think anyone should put something on their wishlist that they aren’t prepared to pull the trigger on. If it wasn’t something on your list and they offer it, no harm in passing on it. But if it was on your list and now you’re having second thoughts, no problem but they may not take you as seriously IMO. And unfortunately In current times the hard to get stuff is usually only gettable with some purchase history.

The first thing I always tell any Friends and family that I have connected with my AD is “be careful what you ask for because he will call you with one and it usually won’t be your first choice!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it wasn't one on my list. They just seemed to think that since I was ok with a DJ36 that the Explorer might just fit the bill.

PDG
Old 27 April 2023, 05:19 AM   #27
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressojoe View Post

Sorry to say this but if you’ve been waiting 18 months for an OP or DJ there is absolutely no chance that you are getting a celebration dial OP.
I'm surprised that the AD has even put this idea in your head
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 05:24 AM   #28
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblueblack View Post
Sounds like you can’t afford it tbh.

Nope, not the case at all - not sure where you seemed to get that idea. The fact is that I budget for everything and try to make sure that I stay within whatever I budget for. Being that way has allowed me to buy my Daytona, Sub, DJ36, and OP.

If I bought this watch ~$8,000, then they turn around and call me next week with the GMT@ ~$12,000 then that puts me beyond what I have budgeted or alloted for that and I end up with a watch that probably won't get worn the way it should.

I can afford it, but I try to be careful when and how I drop several thousand dollars - particularly on a watch that is not my top 2-3 choices. I am not nearly wealthy enough to be a free spender like that.

PDG
Old 27 April 2023, 05:41 AM   #29
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
So, on Saturday I got a call from an AD. I have been on their list for about 18 months or so - but for an OP or a Datejust (really want the GMT though - updated my choices with them now since I have acquired a DJ).

Anyway, they have a 36mm Explorer 1 they are offering me. It's not really what I want next - GMT BLRO is my first choice. My wife wants one of the mint green, galaxy bezel Datejust 31s. The Explorer is on my list but it's somewhere in maybe 4th or 5th down my list. Apparently they called me because I was ok with a 36mm Datejust.

Not sure if I should get it to maintain the relationship or just say no and hold out for what I want. I was not on the list to get an Explorer from them, but got the random call. My wife isn't going to be too much more tolerant of me spending this kind of money on watches for much longer - I have four Rolexes at this point. She wants new flooring in the house...priorities ya know...

I will be up there (about two hours from me) on Thursday and can see it in person if it hasn't sold.

Thoughts???

PDG
Pass. Tell them “no, it’s not what I want”. and it will only increase your odds of them offering something you want down the road.
Old 27 April 2023, 06:17 AM   #30
msu_1972
Banned

Watch: Panda, BLNR
don't buy it if you don't want it. just be honest with your AD and tell them that you prefer to hold out for what you're looking for and that someone else might enjoy this watch more then you.

My AD offer me the milgauss with blue crystal but I turned it down. I told my SA that I rather pass on it and let someone else who really appreciate the watch get it instead. After that my SA thank me for being honest and not just buy it because it was offer to me. Few months later he call me to let me know that he had a Daytona Panda for me.
msu_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote