The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 September 2017, 08:23 AM   #31
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
The only time I've greased somebody was at the check in counter at a hotel in vegas. I slipped the guy a $20 and asked if there were any available upgrades. I felt like a fool because what if he said no and still kept the $20 lol, but he upgraded me to a suite. It was totally worth it.

If you work at a hotel or restaurant and you get slipped a couple $20s a night, over the course of a year, that's a pretty solid "bonus" and it's all under the table.

When it comes to Vegas, cameras are everywhere. Surely management knows that this sort of thing happens. Do they just not care or do they also take a cut?
I think they expect it, and they identify you as more likely to spend.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 08:34 AM   #32
Boothroyd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Once, in Monte Carlo. Perhaps it was appropriate, perhaps not, but felt right under the circumstances. I was clearly out of my element. Appreciated the consideration for my wife and me.
Old 14 September 2017, 08:39 AM   #33
Dumas1012
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
Its definitely the way to get things done here in Vegas. A $20 tip goes a long way with hotel staff, as well as with Valet, Bellman etc. For a table at a restaurant with no reservations, its more in the $50-$100 and up range.

Its how things are "done" out here in this city of sin!
Club security is no joke in Vegas. I was in Vegas for a bachelor party and we went to a club. Security wouldn't let us in because we didnt have any females with us. They wanted $100 a person from each person (there were 10 of us) to get in and also wanted us to book a 3 bottle minimum table at $500 a bottle...

Not going to tell you if we went in the club or not...
Dumas1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 08:56 AM   #34
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
You know when you go to a restaurant on the weekends, it’s busy, so they start a waiting list? They start calling out names, they say “Dufrane, party of two. Table ready for Dufrane, party of two.”

And if no one answers, they’ll say their name again. “Dufrane, party of two.”

But then if no one answers they’ll just go right on to the next name. “Bush, party of three.”

Yeah, but what happened to the Dufranes? No one seems to care. Who can eat at a time like this? People are missing. You people are selfish.

The Dufranes are in someone’s trunk right now, with duct tape over their mouths. And they’re hungry – that’s a double whammy. We need help. “Bush, SEARCH party of three! You can eat once you find the Dufranes..
.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 09:24 AM   #35
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Ever Tip the Maitre d for a Table?

Yep! Especially if I get seated by the kitchen or at a table location I don't like and especially if the restaurant is packed. I look for the best table IMHO and ask for it, if I get it maître d get a tip.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 09:31 AM   #36
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I used to work at Antoine's Restaurant.

Tipping the maître d' was common practice there. He did quite well. Henri Ange Alciatore was his name.

I've never tipped a hostess or maître d', as I don't dine is that class of restaurant.

I do tip wait staff quite generously when I do eat out.
Wow, Grady.. awesome tribute to one of our own, Henri, in NoLa... I was very good friends with Antoine Alciatore, another family member, who also died about 5 years ago...
these type of practices are not as common as they used to be, but fond memories nonetheless
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 09:38 AM   #37
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Wow, Grady.. awesome tribute to one of our own, Henri, in NoLa... I was very good friends with Antoine Alciatore, another family member, who also died about 5 years ago...
these type of practices are not as common as they used to be, but fond memories nonetheless
The walls of Antoine's could tell some tales, especially from Prohibition, hidden rooms and all.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 10:50 AM   #38
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Funny story on a golf trip with 7 of my buddies in ocean city MD. We just come off our second round (36 holes a day) everyone's tired and hungry we hit an outback steak house (not exactly a quality restaurant) the line is out the door were a party of eight the hostess says an 1 1/2 hour wait and hands me the buzzer my buddy collects $5 from each of us walks back and hands the hostess the $40 5 min later our buzzer goes off and were seated. Only time I've ever done that.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:04 AM   #39
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I used to work at Antoine's Restaurant.

Tipping the maître d' was common practice there. He did quite well. Henri Ange Alciatore was his name.

I've never tipped a hostess or maître d', as I don't dine is that class of restaurant.

I do tip wait staff quite generously when I do eat out.
Small world - I remember him well and tipped him every time I went. My dad and Mr Henri always joked about their handlebars which in N.O. were pretty rare back then.
Old 14 September 2017, 11:07 AM   #40
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
You know when you go to a restaurant on the weekends, it’s busy, so they start a waiting list? They start calling out names, they say “Dufrane, party of two. Table ready for Dufrane, party of two.”

But then if no one answers they’ll just go right on to the next name. “Bush, party of three.”

Yeah, but what happened to the Dufranes? No one seems to care. Who can eat at a time like this? People are missing. You people are selfish.

The Dufranes are in someone’s trunk right now, with duct tape over their mouths. And they’re hungry – that’s a double whammy. We need help. “Bush, SEARCH party of three! You can eat once you find the Dufranes..

This is hysterical.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:08 AM   #41
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwwjd View Post
Oops... I know the feeling of getting the "tourist" table, next to the restrooms, where the waiter may or may not remember to take the order.
We were headed down this route one time while on vacation. We had a reservation and had arrived promptly at the appointed time. As we were taken to our table nearly at the back door of the restaurant next to the restrooms, I asked my wife if this would work. The little squirt taking us to our table piped up and said it was all they had before she answered. I turned and said no problem as I walked towards the emergency exit and opened the door for my wife and we exited the restaurant. Let's just say a little chaos ensured when the alarm went off. I felt bad later for the diners who got the crap scared out of them but the little squirt and his arrogance rubbed me the wrong way. The Uber driver gave us a great recommendation for a really local joint and we enjoyed a fabulous meal and made some new friends so the night wasn't a bust.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 01:01 PM   #42
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
This is hysterical.
Agree. It's a Mitch Hedberg classic joke
Old 14 September 2017, 01:38 PM   #43
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I can't afford to eat in those sort of places because I spend all my money on watches.

However, I have tipped AFTER I've been given a very good table but not before.

The thing with tips is that I only drop them when they're deserved. On occasions when service has been particularly poor, I have not tipped. In establishments where a service charge is automatically levied, I've refused to pay it before now on the basis of crap service (food coming out cold; unacceptable intervals between dishes; seated and then ignored, etc.). Then again, I've tipped over and above the service charge when it's been warranted.

I guess that's a convoluted way of saying that I don't tip automatically.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 02:47 PM   #44
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
No, and I never would. Super-expensive restaurants aren't my thing.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 04:15 PM   #45
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
No, haven't done it. Since it's not the norm here. I think in Finland I would get the 20 back and would have most likely made an uncomfortable situation for the "MD" and myself.

However, I'm very curious as to how well this works at hotels....? Wouldn't mind handing over a hundred at check-in for a proper room upgrade. SPG for example don't do much for their Gold members these days.
Old 14 September 2017, 06:28 PM   #46
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Stavrodos and I have never had a problem securing a table at the best restaurants.

It's who you know I suppose.

I think it's my turn next Steve?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 07:27 PM   #47
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post

Old 14 September 2017, 09:51 PM   #48
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
This is hysterical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
As much as I would love to take credit for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Agree. It's a Mitch Hedberg classic joke
...this guy hit the nail on the head!

.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 10:23 PM   #49
wantonebad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
We were headed down this route one time while on vacation. We had a reservation and had arrived promptly at the appointed time. As we were taken to our table nearly at the back door of the restaurant next to the restrooms, I asked my wife if this would work. The little squirt taking us to our table piped up and said it was all they had before she answered. I turned and said no problem as I walked towards the emergency exit and opened the door for my wife and we exited the restaurant. Let's just say a little chaos ensured when the alarm went off. I felt bad later for the diners who got the crap scared out of them but the little squirt and his arrogance rubbed me the wrong way. The Uber driver gave us a great recommendation for a really local joint and we enjoyed a fabulous meal and made some new friends so the night wasn't a bust.
I love that story!!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 02:01 AM   #50
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Small world - I remember him well and tipped him every time I went. My dad and Mr Henri always joked about their handlebars which in N.O. were pretty rare back then.

Old 18 September 2017, 02:52 AM   #51
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Does anyone send back food and ask for a replacement? I've never had food quite so bad as to do that, I'd rather just get to the next course and not wait or hold up the table. I have a friend who is very discerning and will even send back starters which is just suicidal for her main course. We always tell the servers she's not with us!
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 03:37 AM   #52
BravoOne
Banned

Use to know a guy had a big ski week at Deer Valley every winter. He would give the Concierge desk a cool $1000 and from point forward he was golden. Have no idea what he did while dining, but I sure it worked.

Also watched a guy give $50,000 cash to four of his yacht crew on New Years Eve and tell them each to take $10,000 of it and buy eight bottles of some kind of Champaign along with several tins of Caviar to be placed on the four tables that he did not yet have dinner reservations for on New Years in Aruba. Then 40K left over was for the four restaurant hosts to make sure he had a table should he decide to come in. The best part was that he did not come in to any of them:) Sometimes money doesn't talk, it screams.

I have also seen guys tip by the inch. That is give him an inch or two inches of stacked $20 bills. These guys were not in the drug business, although we were in Acapulco many years ago when it happened.

Yes, I have tipped to get a table and a lot more than $20, or get may car parked here in Las Vegas when the attendant says the lot is full. Works every time without fail $20 usually works for that.
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 10:33 AM   #53
68camaro
"TRF" Member

I grew up in NY, best friends father was right off the boat (mom too), he put his three kids thru college as maitre 'd for very good restaurant. Of course college was much cheaper in 80's, but still they had solid middle class lifestyle.

As immigrants they really sacrificed for the kids to get a college education, nicest people you'll ever meet, all kids were successful in their careers. For easter he bought and butchered own lamb in backyard...
68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 11:07 AM   #54
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Does anyone send back food and ask for a replacement? I've never had food quite so bad as to do that, I'd rather just get to the next course and not wait or hold up the table. I have a friend who is very discerning and will even send back starters which is just suicidal for her main course. We always tell the servers she's not with us!
I don't do it often, but I do send food back if it is not up to my standards.

If I were the kind to drop a few hundred on dinner, I would certainly do the same thing.