The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Would you flip 2 ROO's for a Datograph
Yes 42 31.82%
No 90 68.18%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7 October 2017, 01:07 AM   #151
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Well, the issue of the Dato has come back up for me.

I'm eyeing one that's located in Canada (hence huge savings on taxes/duties) at a pretty decent price.

I can say that I'm thinking of getting rid of not only my 44mm, but also the Jarno Trulli to fund it.

Thoughts?
I have the same answer as before. I would do it. I love that watch assuming the 5170 isn't your cup of tea.

I'm surprised it's cheaper in Canada given the exchange rate right now. Are you on the hook for the 13% tax as well?
Old 7 October 2017, 01:14 AM   #152
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I have the same answer as before. I would do it. I love that watch assuming the 5170 isn't your cup of tea.

I'm surprised it's cheaper in Canada given the exchange rate right now. Are you on the hook for the 13% tax as well?
TRF Sales Corner... cash money deal and therefore, no sales tax.

List in Canada is $104,500 CAD while US list is $90,400 USD (about $113,400 CAD) if I'm not mistaken. Even the best AD price I could work out would still be almost 12K USD higher than 2nd hand.

I've debated long and hard between the Dato and 5170. I like the slimmer profile of the 5170 and the fact that well, it's a Patek - even though it seems to get killed on the secondary market. The Lange has much more that gets me excited - including the Big Date, the dial and the movement. The only con to the Datograph is it may be hard to move when I need to, though the 5170 isn't arguably easier to move.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 01:19 AM   #153
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I get it , I don’t think it’s crazy getting rid off those 2 AP’s but my concern is that the Dato might not be as fulfilling for you in the long term. Tough spot you are right now

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 01:21 AM   #154
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 02:29 AM   #155
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

List in Canada is $104,500 CAD while US list is $90,400 USD (about $113,400 CAD) if I'm not mistaken. Even the best AD price I could work out would still be almost 12K USD higher than 2nd hand.

I've debated long and hard between the Dato and 5170. I like the slimmer profile of the 5170 and the fact that well, it's a Patek - even though it seems to get killed on the secondary market. The Lange has much more that gets me excited - including the Big Date, the dial and the movement. The only con to the Datograph is it may be hard to move when I need to, though the 5170 isn't arguably easier to move.
Oh I would definelty be going second hand

Sounds like the right watch popped up at the right time. How can you resist lol
Old 7 October 2017, 03:32 AM   #156
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Have you written this out before Tom? I feel a sense of deja vu. Anyway I would go for the Dato, its small size and thickness is my issue with it but think you will be alright unless you mean the Up/D. The Zeitwerk is more my speed now.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 03:36 AM   #157
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

thats a great comparison. For me the Dato wins though as its less dressy, but i like both the ALS and PP. Im getting the Dato when i move back to the states. I can get a decent discount and a VAT refund on top to I'm going to time it that way. Who knows when that will be though. Well, its either the dato or zeitwork. That one is growing on me in a big way.

The AP Ti is on its way out the door for a 5524G whenever i get the call (probably). RG is a keeper.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 03:39 AM   #158
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
thats a great comparison. For me the Dato wins though as its less dressy, but i like both the ALS and PP. Im getting the Dato when i move back to the states. I can get a decent discount and a VAT refund on top to I'm going to time it that way. Who knows when that will be though. Well, its either the dato or zeitwork. That one is growing on me in a big way.
Just don’t trade your 2 amazing 44’s when you do! Jorge is right though above it isn’t really crazy it is madly insane!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 03:43 AM   #159
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Just don’t trade your 2 amazing 44’s when you do! Jorge is right though above it isn’t really crazy it is madly insane!
im not. edited above. The RG isn't going anywhere for sure.

With a discount and VAT refund the numbers make more sense to just buy it and not trade anything.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 7 October 2017, 03:45 AM   #160
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
im not. edited above. The RG isn't going anywhere for sure.

With a discount and VAT refund the numbers make more sense to just buy it and not trade anything.
Glad to hear Tyler and agree!

But of course I’d keep both if you could.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 03:46 AM   #161
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The AP Ti is on its way out the door for a 5524G whenever i get the call (probably). RG is a keeper.
You sure about the pushers on the 5524? Being on the left and rather large could be an issue? I like big pushers but on the right, like the 44s.
Old 7 October 2017, 04:12 AM   #162
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You sure about the pushers on the 5524? Being on the left and rather large could be an issue? I like big pushers but on the right, like the 44s.
I've got a while to become sure as I'm betting its a year out as far as delivery but the more i see it in real pics, the more i like it. I miss my BP but it was too big for a daily and i want another pilot watch at some point to replace it. The 5524 is my favorite one, and I prefer the dial to the 5522 (not that i could get one anyway). Its the same reason i prefer the 5164 to the 5167 even if i never used the travel time function the dial is more interesting. I suppose i would prefer it without pushers but its not a deal breaker at this point.

Honestly i have more concerns about the shape of the number "4" on the dial than i do about the pushers.
Old 7 October 2017, 04:18 AM   #163
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Glad to hear Tyler and agree!

But of course I’d keep both if you could.
it all depends on the status of the 15407. If that comes though id probably let the Ti go for the 5524. If not, it could stay. I don't buy grey market so it all depends on if AP can deliver one or not. Its more about keeping the collection at a wearable number more than anything. I hate having more watches than i can reasonably wear as I'm not a safe queen collector.
Old 7 October 2017, 07:27 AM   #164
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I've got a while to become sure as I'm betting its a year out as far as delivery but the more i see it in real pics, the more i like it. I miss my BP but it was too big for a daily and i want another pilot watch at some point to replace it. The 5524 is my favorite one, and I prefer the dial to the 5522 (not that i could get one anyway). Its the same reason i prefer the 5164 to the 5167 even if i never used the travel time function the dial is more interesting. I suppose i would prefer it without pushers but its not a deal breaker at this point.

Honestly i have more concerns about the shape of the number "4" on the dial than i do about the pushers.
I agree with you on the 24 over 22 and 64 over 67. Just would prefer the pushers on the right side, but selling one 44 for it makes sense.
Old 13 October 2017, 01:41 AM   #165
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Oh I would definelty be going second hand

Sounds like the right watch popped up at the right time. How can you resist lol
Update: Passing on the Dato for now. Just not the right time for one yet.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 05:31 AM   #166
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Update: Passing on the Dato for now. Just not the right time for one yet.

Makes sense. It’s not a watch you want to get into before you’re 100 percent sure.

Anything else on the radar?