The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 14 January 2018, 09:38 PM   #31
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
My guess is the ROO will. I know I took a big hit selling mine (haven't flipped a ROC so no first hand knowledge). The ROC is full PM though and a higher RRP, but i still think the appeal of a smaller RO vs a larger ROO will help long term.
Do you have any feelings of regret since flipping the 44? I have always seen it as a gorgeous piece and still is to this day for me.
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:31 AM   #32
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
Does either the RG44 or ROC RG blue dial depreciate quicker than the other all else constant? Data seems to be meek with the blue dial. I cant be sure if I would regret this trade or not but the value does seem to make it a good deal
ROCs generally fall more than ROOs, esp in RG, my old RG ROC fell by about half, had a few offers even for 40%. The SS 400 might not be a bad idea to get a feel for the bracelet, as while a nice bracelet is great, it really is just icing, the watch head is the cake.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:43 AM   #33
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
ROCs generally fall more than ROOs, esp in RG, my old RG ROC fell by about half, had a few offers even for 40%. The SS 400 might not be a bad idea to get a feel for the bracelet, as while a nice bracelet is great, it really is just icing, the watch head is the cake.
ROO would be in the 30% range if bought new id bet. Flipping for 8K added to the deal for a watch that costs 12k more would cut into some of that depreciation and make it a wash i would think, he would get 4k depreciation for free, so if the depreciation is higher it would help.

I lost more than expected on my RG44. Its not solid on resale at all and the UK market is strong in that regard. Ti was as expected, the RG was a big hit.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 01:01 AM   #34
Xerxes77
Banned

I think Neil and Tyler have right.
All PM even are ROO 44mm or 42 mm,RO, ROC will be a bit hit ar resale.
When we speake about SS this is another disscution.
So in the end it’s what you wish and what you want! If you want PM that’s it!! Don’t think about resale!
I have in the past ROO PM and now have ROC 26331 blue dial!
I can tell you I love it even it’s not PM.
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 01:34 AM   #35
turfmanjon
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My first post here and might help, might not. I’ve had a bunch of Rolex’s over the years, including Daytona RG with ceramic bezel and swapped for Rubber B bracelet. Then decided to purge collection to keep simple, as tend to wear my favorite and others just sit. Then I found AP, and traded my 116515LN for 15400SS black dial and was very happy with the swap. The bracelet was key to me. I had the 15400 for a year while always having my eye on the ROC in rose gold, but had few concerns. 1. Hate the screw down pushers of Daytona and RO and would never use. 2. Not sure if I could pull off a PM. Then I had a revelation. I would just wear my Garmin 935 watch for work (in sales) so don’t have to be self conscious about a PM watch anymore. Then I flipped my 15400 for the 26331or blue dial full bracelet a few months ago, and haven’t looked back! Blue dial is more interesting in different light conditions than the black 15400. Plus the pushers aren’t screw down now so I actually use them. Heft of watch is awesome! And finally I’ve become used to the rose gold and am not as self conscious as when first bought it. Have had few positive comments from friends, but otherwise haven’t noticed any additional glares. Hope this helps and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
turfmanjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 02:03 AM   #36
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
ROO would be in the 30% range if bought new id bet. Flipping for 8K added to the deal for a watch that costs 12k more would cut into some of that depreciation and make it a wash i would think, he would get 4k depreciation for free, so if the depreciation is higher it would help.

I lost more than expected on my RG44. Its not solid on resale at all and the UK market is strong in that regard. Ti was as expected, the RG was a big hit.
30% fall is quite high as you say in this market, but I suppose there have been price increases, so that would compensate older buyers.
Old 15 January 2018, 02:51 AM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
At 55k you’d be paying a 10.9k premium on the SS OW
Old 15 January 2018, 02:53 AM   #38
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
At 55k you’d be paying a 10.9k premium on the SS OW
the voice of reason.

If OP can get SS OW w/ a 3 month wait its not even a question what to do. Pretty sure he waited 3 months for his RG 44, and for an OW, thats nothing.
Old 15 January 2018, 08:31 AM   #39
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How does the ROC compare to the 44 for everyday wear? Is the head of a 44 superior to the head of an ROC? I'd imagine it would just be size difference pretty much since they both offer the same functions. Are the pushers any difference in feel and usage?
Old 15 January 2018, 08:34 AM   #40
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
I think Neil and Tyler have right.
All PM even are ROO 44mm or 42 mm,RO, ROC will be a bit hit ar resale.
When we speake about SS this is another disscution.
So in the end it’s what you wish and what you want! If you want PM that’s it!! Don’t think about resale!
I have in the past ROO PM and now have ROC 26331 blue dial!
I can tell you I love it even it’s not PM.
Usually when I have made a purchase in the past, resell is not an issue to me because I have been able to take hard inspections on the watch before purchasing. AP's are a little more difficult to find for me. I have not flipped a watch yet because I have liked them enough to not flip any.
Old 15 January 2018, 08:36 AM   #41
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmanjon View Post
My first post here and might help, might not. I’ve had a bunch of Rolex’s over the years, including Daytona RG with ceramic bezel and swapped for Rubber B bracelet. Then decided to purge collection to keep simple, as tend to wear my favorite and others just sit. Then I found AP, and traded my 116515LN for 15400SS black dial and was very happy with the swap. The bracelet was key to me. I had the 15400 for a year while always having my eye on the ROC in rose gold, but had few concerns. 1. Hate the screw down pushers of Daytona and RO and would never use. 2. Not sure if I could pull off a PM. Then I had a revelation. I would just wear my Garmin 935 watch for work (in sales) so don’t have to be self conscious about a PM watch anymore. Then I flipped my 15400 for the 26331or blue dial full bracelet a few months ago, and haven’t looked back! Blue dial is more interesting in different light conditions than the black 15400. Plus the pushers aren’t screw down now so I actually use them. Heft of watch is awesome! And finally I’ve become used to the rose gold and am not as self conscious as when first bought it. Have had few positive comments from friends, but otherwise haven’t noticed any additional glares. Hope this helps and good luck!

That is great feedback from someone who has the ROC in question! If you don't mind, would you upload some pics?
Old 15 January 2018, 08:37 AM   #42
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the voice of reason.

If OP can get SS OW w/ a 3 month wait its not even a question what to do. Pretty sure he waited 3 months for his RG 44, and for an OW, thats nothing.
Are you saying the OW is the clear cut decision to make here?

The only issue that is hanging over my head with this move is the loss of PM. Maybe I won't care about it so much once it's done, maybe I will. Is OW the play to make here?
Old 15 January 2018, 08:43 AM   #43
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
How does the ROC compare to the 44 for everyday wear? Is the head of a 44 superior to the head of an ROC? I'd imagine it would just be size difference pretty much since they both offer the same functions. Are the pushers any difference in feel and usage?
I found both very wearable, I'm one of those who soon forgets the watch they are wearing, which is always a good sign. I'd say the 44 has been easier to wear, the RG ROC on slim leather strap was a bit top heavy, and on a bracelet you won't have adjustment so need luck there too. Pushers are easier to operate if they are push down, so both must be similar now, mine was screw down and a bit of a palaver.
Old 15 January 2018, 08:46 AM   #44
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you saying the OW is the clear cut decision to make here?

The only issue that is hanging over my head with this move is the loss of PM. Maybe I won't care about it so much once it's done, maybe I will. Is OW the play to make here?
If you can get it absolutely 100% its the one I would get. Its a Royal Oak with a bracelet, its probably the most attractive open worked dial out there, and its in SS which is actually a big positive with a royal oak.

Openworked in SS> pretty much any PM AP in my book
Old 15 January 2018, 09:20 AM   #45
turfmanjon
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
That is great feedback from someone who has the ROC in question! If you don't mind, would you upload some pics?

Welcome! Since my first post, won’t let me post pics as i just tried to upload. How many posts do I need to make to do this? Sorry about that.

turfmanjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 10:22 AM   #46
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
OW is nice, but a skeletonized dial isn’t > AP rose gold in my opinion.

In a choice between OW or 15202OR, I’ll take the gold every time.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 10:47 AM   #47
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
OW is nice, but a skeletonized dial isn’t > AP rose gold in my opinion.

In a choice between OW or 15202OR, I’ll take the gold every time.
What about a 15202OR vs a 26332OR. Is there no love for the 26331OR on this forum? It seems like most people are in favor of 15202 while I found the 15400or quite nice too, and 26331st fans while I like the 26331or.
Old 15 January 2018, 11:00 AM   #48
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What about a 15202OR vs a 26332OR. Is there no love for the 26331OR on this forum? It seems like most people are in favor of 15202 while I found the 15400or quite nice too, and 26331st fans while I like the 26331or.

I owned both sizes, and preferred 39mm to 41mm. I don’t hate the 15400, and if I had a preference for larger watches, I’d still take the 15400OR over the OW.

In full disclosure, if I wanted an OW movement, I wouldn’t choose AP. I think others do skeletonized better.
Old 15 January 2018, 11:25 AM   #49
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Who would you say does skeletonized better?
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:12 PM   #50
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
On APs I like the thicker RO bracelet more so on the RG I would get the 400 or a ROC. 26331or is a belter and with no inhouse now have at it.
Old 15 January 2018, 12:35 PM   #51
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Who would you say does skeletonized better?

Cartier

RM

Roger Dubuis

There are tons more that I’d prefer if that was the effect I was after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15 January 2018, 12:51 PM   #52
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I’d really consider going to the skeleton. “Skeletons” in general are my favorite watches and the new APs are second to none. The movement is amazing and they are such different watches. I have both the SS and the RG 15407. They are so different that I intend to keep them both.

If i had to have only one AP it would be one of the skeletons. Also- these pieces are special. They have their place, even in a collection of RM.
Old 15 January 2018, 12:54 PM   #53
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cartier

RM

Roger Dubuis

Agree to disagree.

I personally only prefer the RM more than the AP, but it’s not because of the movement and only do to the scratch resistance of the case!
Old 15 January 2018, 01:17 PM   #54
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
Agree to disagree.

I personally only prefer the RM more than the AP, but it’s not because of the movement and only do to the scratch resistance of the case!

Fair enough. I know on the AP forum I’ll be outnumbered. It's just a comment on subjective aesthetics. I’m certainly not arguing that the AP '07s aren’t great watches.

Old 15 January 2018, 01:37 PM   #55
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair enough. I know on the AP forum I’ll be outnumbered. It's just a comment on subjective aesthetics. I’m certainly not arguing that the AP '07s aren’t great watches.

Of course!

I understand where you are coming from as well!
Old 15 January 2018, 01:57 PM   #56
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:

As long as you didn’t say PP (not sure they still do skeletons nowadays) GP, or VC I can see why you chose those brands.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:07 PM   #57
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
every one of those watches will lose money if you sell. The SS 15407 is the only one you will make money on, if you can get it. IMO its a no risk trial period as honestly its hard to judge if you will love a watch or not until some period of actual ownership.

I would buy the 15407 sight unseen as there is zero risk. None of those watches are bad choices though. Ive seen the RG 15407 in person but never the SS.
Old 15 January 2018, 04:09 PM   #58
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
I’d really consider going to the skeleton. “Skeletons” in general are my favorite watches and the new APs are second to none. The movement is amazing and they are such different watches. I have both the SS and the RG 15407. They are so different that I intend to keep them both.

If i had to have only one AP it would be one of the skeletons. Also- these pieces are special. They have their place, even in a collection of RM.
he gets it

Of course RM, i forgot about them in my best OW statement. Different level and id take a RM if i could only have one but the AP holds its own for sure especially given the price.
Old 16 January 2018, 10:12 PM   #59
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On APs I like the thicker RO bracelet more so on the RG I would get the 400 or a ROC. 26331or is a belter and with no inhouse now have at it.
You mentioned having an ROC that did not hold value well. What made you want to sell your ROC?
Old 16 January 2018, 10:15 PM   #60
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cartier

RM

Roger Dubuis

Regarding only to the RD skeleton, the first time I saw it online I drooled a little bit. I happened to pass by an RD AD last month and had time to stop by to check it out. Didn't ask to try it on, but in the display case it did not give me the same feeling I felt when I saw the pictures of it online.

The RM skeleton is fantastic