The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 April 2021, 03:40 PM   #31
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
More speculation about what Rolex does ŕegarding speculation.

So they didn't discontinue the Platinum and Green Dial this year, what if it happens next year or the next.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 03:42 PM   #32
Jimmy66
"TRF" Member

Take it with a pinch of salt, but my AD says Rolex is increasing their capacity to build watches.
Jimmy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 04:28 PM   #33
Ihatecheese
Banned

Looks like they've pivoted skilfully into a luxury goods maker Vs watchmaker.
Think Leica Hermes etc. Sure they make good products but the 'value' and demand is associated with the brand by regular public. Even if the products themselves are really very good. Green watch blue. Whatever. People will buy it for the crown. And bonus it's a good watch
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 05:28 PM   #34
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
That’s what having 10 BLNR’s in a safe will do to you.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 09:25 PM   #35
FORTN
Banned

And the only Rolex did wrong is that they didn't play into your predictions and expectations this time.
FORTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 10:29 PM   #36
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberalclown View Post
I agree with the OP.

Maybe in other words, this release was a middle finger to speculative hoarders.
Explorer II hoarders are burned.
116710BLNR hoarders are burned.
36mm pre 2010 Explorer prices will come back to sense.
Rolex allowed WG BLRO owners to change the dial to blue so oyster on BLRO didn't burn the OG WG owners.
The attention from JM Daytona and Platona will move to meteorite dials so hoarders of those will be burned as well.

More options hopefully will translate into less focus on particular models and and impact grey hegamony. I am not against resellers by no means, but greys were adding fuel to the fire alongside auction houses. Watch this video after 8:55 https://youtu.be/8LBy3vYy8oE
I don’t think that owners of the first Batman 116710 on oyster are burned at all. That watch has inherent value as the first of its kind for the bezel color and remains a highly popular, and discontinued reference. You can’t get any more of them. The watch is still worth much more than it’s original MSRP.

People get too focused on the bracelet type as a measure of value. It’s a fashion choice. Those owners are going to be just fine.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 11:10 PM   #37
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
I don’t think that owners of the first Batman 116710 on oyster are burned at all. That watch has inherent value as the first of its kind for the bezel color and remains a highly popular, and discontinued reference. You can’t get any more of them. The watch is still worth much more than it’s original MSRP.

People get too focused on the bracelet type as a measure of value. It’s a fashion choice. Those owners are going to be just fine.

I’d concur with this, but the exp 2 guys who thought Rolex would be foolish enough to put a ceramic bezel on a caving watch, effectively neutering its purpose, whelp they get to lose this one.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 11:19 PM   #38
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Whatever Rolex is doing is working!! This thread, with the so many different opinions is the proof!
People are buying Rolex for many different reasons. Appreciation of the watch, brand history, admiration of watch features, horology hobby, ACTUALLY USING IT, making a quick buck or even long term investment............. the one common factor is that PEOPLE ARE BUYING Rolex. So whatever Rolex’s mission, vision, values and intentions are, IT’S WORKING!!
Old 12 April 2021, 11:36 PM   #39
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary. View Post
My point is that, this week, the two Daytona models which have been the centre of most financial speculation were left alone.

The model which was destined to be the next big thing was given a quiet internal refresh.

A watch whose value has been increasing entirely due to having an oyster bracelet was reduced to the status of being just an older model of a nice watch.

39mm Explorer aside, Rolex seems to have done as much as it can limit the encouragement it could have given to speculators.

I agree with you that the impact of the 2021 introductions has been to slow the speculative nature of Rolex ownership (for want of a better phrase) by minimising the discontinued references (and like you I have no sympathy for anyone “burnt” as a result.

I struggle, however, to convince myself this was by Rolex design.

Historically, GMT masters were available on oyster or jubilee. Returning to that option is arguably nothing more than a nod to the history of the watch.

Reverting to 36mm for the Explorer is arguably nothing more than a return to the original size.

Rolex themselves draw attention to the fact that the subtle changes are a nod to the original proportions (if not size)

Maybe we’re over thinking this and it’s all just Rolex embracing it’s history as a route to the future.

I actually hope it is more than that. That it is Rolex seeking to minimise the speculative side of things. But we will probably never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 11:52 PM   #40
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
ADs have said “Rolex watches are meant to be bundled with high markup jewelry no-one wants”
Hahaha, that does suck. Ran into this for the first time recently and after hearing this is the only way I’ll get a hard to get Rolex, I was so flabbergasted, I asked the SA who am I supposed to buy this jewelry for. She said my wife. I said are you serious, my wife will kill me if I spend money on jewelry for her. Catch 22 imo...
Old 13 April 2021, 12:49 AM   #41
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I offered a seller on C24 $14,500 for one yesterday (selling for $18,500), they declined and did not counter. It will be the best offer they receive, I'm sure of it.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 01:21 AM   #42
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My point is that, this week, the two Daytona models which have been the centre of most financial speculation were left alone.

The model which was destined to be the next big thing was given a quiet internal refresh.

A watch whose value has been increasing entirely due to having an oyster bracelet was reduced to the status of being just an older model of a nice watch.

39mm Explorer aside, Rolex seems to have done as much as it can limit the encouragement it could have given to speculators.
Meaning they did jackshit to make their brand more appealing, desirable, valuable, collectible and some of us think that this is a lazy and stupid strategy in a competitive environment. Increase demand, limit supply and watch people foam at the mouth because they want it and can't get it. Make it boring, 36mm, nothing new that isn't old and throw in one or two novelty faces for chicks who don't dig Rolex yet and I'm not feeling it. At all. Will wait for the blue sky dweller I have on order and after that.......I think I'm done.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 02:23 AM   #43
destr0y26
"TRF" Member

Sir, this is a Wendy's.
destr0y26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 02:30 AM   #44
johntictoc
"TRF" Member

I personally hope prices go down to the retail level. if you bought higher, I dont care about you at all.
johntictoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 02:48 AM   #45
timegradient
Banned

Perfect idea IMO
timegradient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 03:51 AM   #46
ibzk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
" Rolex has said "We make watches, not get-rich-quick schemes". "

Meanwhile all the dealers =
ibzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 03:52 AM   #47
ibzk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntictoc View Post
I personally hope prices go down to the retail level. if you bought higher, I dont care about you at all.
Atleaast not in two years
ibzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 04:00 AM   #48
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
. The Explorer II, the one watch EVERYONE WAS 100% SURE would be replaced by something new and fresh, is happily spelunking along with invisible changes.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 04:01 AM   #49
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...again.

It's obvious. What do the novelties tell us?

Rolex has had enough of speculators, hype, Insta-BS and all that stuff.

So many people were "getting into" platinum Daytonas and green-dial Daytonas thinking they were going to make a killing.
The humble Explorer II- the one true tool watch in the line. The sports watch you could actually buy- was getting harder to find than hens' teeth.
The prices of all those models were going up and up in anticipation of Rolex making them unavailable.

And then.... nothing. The Daytonas are still there. The Explorer II, the one watch EVERYONE WAS 100% SURE would be replaced by something new and fresh, is happily spelunking along with invisible changes.

What does the addition of Oyster bracelets on the GMT-Masters tell us? It tells us that Rolex doesn't care if you have ten old BLNRs in a safe building up your kids' tuition fees.

Rolex has said "We make watches, not get-rich-quick schemes".

Rolex has said "We makes watches for customers, not the Timepiece Gentleman or DavidSW".

Rolex has said "We make watches for people to wear" and I, for one, am here for it.

I'm also here for the Youtubers losing their sugar over it.
I would love if Rolex made watches for the people; watches that people could actually purchase when they save up enough money. Instead, they limit production of the watches everyone wants and keeps producing TT Datejust watches no one wants. I hold Rolex every bit as responsible as those you slam in your post.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 04:12 AM   #50
direwolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I did not see any hate in the OP's post. Actually, your take on the releases makes sense. But did Rolex really reference David SW or the Timepiece Gentleman? That is kind of surprising if that is true.
Old 13 April 2021, 07:46 PM   #51
zengineer
"TRF" Member

The manipulation is all in maintaining the scarcity relative to demand. Without the scarcity, a bracelet change or a new bezel color is just news for a day and has no real impact. Nothing of any significance happened to the Ceramic Daytona other than the demand continuing to outrun supply.

I don't believe the new Explorer II is anything more than a natural evolution of the watch, similar to last rounds Submariner tweaks. Rolex isn't run by a boardroom full of Instagram Influencers in flannel shirts and man-buns. I don't buy that anything they do in the way of product planning is an attempt to skewer speculators.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 10:00 PM   #52
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Lol look at the Patek and AP forums...all the same tune. I imagine it is the case for the likes of desirable Journe and Lange references as well...

This is not an issue unique to Rolex.

Watches are hot...people have money...demand > supply.
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 10:06 PM   #53
jimmytamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, IWC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeysub93 View Post
Lol look at the Patek and AP forums...all the same tune. I imagine it is the case for the likes of desirable Journe and Lange references as well...

This is not an issue unique to Rolex.

Watches are hot...people have money...demand > supply.

The problem is not the demand, it’s the way the AD feeds the grey flippers IMHO

https://www.instagram.com/fliegerb777/
Old 13 April 2021, 10:31 PM   #54
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrankenstein View Post
I offered a seller on C24 $14,500 for one yesterday (selling for $18,500), they declined and did not counter. It will be the best offer they receive, I'm sure of it.
It is a fair offer but I bet he gets about US $16,000
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 04:32 PM   #55
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Rolex manufactures somewhere north of 800,000 watches a year.

OP, you were saying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 07:39 PM   #56
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is a fair offer but I bet he gets about US $16,000
Yeah, it’s no big deal. I’ve offered many a price to many a watch on that site and never received a counter. This makes me have my suspicions about the nature of their pricing model but who knows? I’m sure their margins are tight. Maybe if pieces were consigned the prices would come down?
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 07:50 PM   #57
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Rolex has said "We makes watches for customers, not the Timepiece Gentleman or DavidSW".
Great, can I get a WG Daytona as my watch of choice? I really do not want a SS one. No? Figured.

Can we please stop being salty about market forces at play? Face it, the current environment is simply a result of constant supply and ever growing demand, of course the price will go up. How is that in any way surprising?
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote