The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 February 2021, 02:13 AM   #1
CanPam
"TRF" Member

P.9010 Evolution

Yesterday I could took a look at the short internal information sheet of the new movement. Panerai call it in the sheet "P.9010 Evolution" and the only information is that instead of the blue engravings now the engravings are "ton sur ton" and instead of the top plates with horizontal brushed finishing now the plates have a micro sandblasted finishing. The movement looks now grayer.
And the "important note" is that that the new P.9010 does not have anymore the stop second feature and the balance remains in rotation and the second hands continues to move.
Old 1 February 2021, 02:31 AM   #2
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Any photos to share?

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 04:42 AM   #3
CanPam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
Any photos to share?

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Nope. Strictly confidential... lol
Old 1 February 2021, 05:23 AM   #4
56Diver
"TRF" Member

What was their reasoning for doing this!!?
56Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2021, 12:44 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

So all bridges / plates, and other parts have the same decoration as Gen 1 other than what you mentioned? Panerai should do a nice video as they did for Gen 1 so we can compare.

For those who unknowingly during purchase have this new movement within their Panerai, if you put back-pressure on the crown when setting the time does it stop the movement?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 06:05 PM   #6
BAMBAM
"TRF" Member

I bought a 1313 recently and I was shocked that the seconds hand did not stop ..
So I got the info including the In house document where of course its confirmed the post from CanPam.

I got the watch changed at my dealer so I am holding one of the last 1313 with the real movement.
I guess PANERAI safe a few bucks on it .... disappointing.

I can mail you guys the original in house document mentioned above ( top secret )
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 11:01 PM   #7
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

That’s a good move. I personally won’t buy a movement that won’t hack the seconds. My Pam 661 Carbotech is a keeper and just went up a lot in personal value to me as it is a P.9010 Gen 1.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 11:04 PM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

DARN, it would have been great to have you have the AD open the back and take pics. Please have the AD send you pics of the non-hacking movement and post them here, many thanks.

So far Panerai has given pretty much zero details, no pics, and no video as they do for MANY of their other movements. Wonder what is to TOP SECRET about the Gen 2 9010 (Evolution) that makes it a finer, higher-quality Evolution of the previous 9010 movement? Why does this 'Evolution' warrant zero pics and videos from the manufacturer?

Congrats on getting one of the last known 9010 movements with hacking seconds. After six months of putting this Evolution in timepieces, and now about a month or so of their customers finding out... why Panerai is still very hush-hush about it?

Again, PLEASE have your AD take pics of the new movement and post here.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 22 February 2021, 12:40 AM   #9
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This will eventually come out. I can’t imagine that removing the hack seconds was done to save money on a already established and well proven movement. It would cost more to modify the movement to remove this feature so in my mind it has to be a resourced version of the P.9010.

Panerai is letting the dust settle in seeing if drawing attention to this change will eventually subside. They are hoping their customers will just accept it and move on. Meh, Rolex is having their issues with the 32 series movement and Panerai had a trouble free hacking movement and then downgraded it voluntarily........ The movement nerd police has much to follow in the industry.
Old 22 February 2021, 07:24 AM   #10
Blunt Instrument
"TRF" Member

Total conjecture, and it's probably been said somewhere else, but I wonder if the change to the movement is a sign of a longer warranty play in the near future.

Besides the 70 year warranty on select models, if they offered let's say a 15-25 year warranty on everyday models -- and the P.9010 movement didn't have hacking seconds -- I think a lot of general buyers would be swayed by that. Especially if accuracy can be cued in pretty tight.
Blunt Instrument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 06:05 AM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Good point, as some look at Panerai as a fashion watch instead of something with 'special value' with a high-end manufacturer movement. Am not sure of US / European / etc laws, yet i believe product disclosure might cause Panerai some problems as people are asking. Am sure someone with a non-hacking 1313 or one of the 1117/1118/1119 will take pics, etc of the 'Evolution' movement. Maybe they've seen it and are ashamed about it??? No one knows, and that's part of the problem as there's no manufacturer i've ever heard of in many decades who has purposefully hidden a new movement when asked.

Can anyone else remember when a manufacturer outright refused to show details of a new movement when asked by their customers and members of the press?

BTW, even the Asian company that does a faux 1118 for around $400 shows the movement they use. Is the official Panerai movement better? Does anyone truly know?

I'm still voting for tweak advanced tech parts by Panerai, something super hush-hush for now. Obviously that's the way to go for the added lifespan of a movement for a true high-end manufacturer. A fashion watch manufacturer would just throw in some usable, reliable, and inexpensive movement like a Stellita so-as to just swap out movements during service and cheap enough to toss the old one or let someone refurb it (which Bell&Ross does quite well).

Old 23 February 2021, 11:05 AM   #12
CanPam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

BTW, even the Asian company that does a faux 1118 for around $400 shows the movement they use. Is the official Panerai movement better? Does anyone truly know?

Like I told in the first post, I saw and I have the pic of the new movement with the described changes. But I was told not to publish it social media, that's all, the movement looks still fine, only with different type of termination of the surface.

It seems that you're a bit obsessed with this topic bro, wait a bit more until Panerai will actualize their website...
Old 24 February 2021, 12:02 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanPam View Post
It seems that you're a bit obsessed with this topic bro, wait a bit more until Panerai will actualize their website...
True a bit obsessed, yet when a company is asking $16,000 for a 1118 with mystery movement am 100% sure many enthusiasts want to KNOW what they are really buying. It sounds VERY fishy they ask you not to publish pics as it's been many months since they first used this movement. So you can see why there may be quite a few people hesitating on buying Panerai at this point. Plus removal of a very common mechanical movement feature (stop seconds) is usually not good news for an 'Evolution'... unless there's some truly tweak parts inside we're waiting to hear about :)

As a journalist, their refusal to give details on a 6+ month old movement that is already being installed within timepieces brings up major suspicion and have been receiving quite a bit of feedback to keep asking. There are some prominent reviewers who have also enquired, with no answers as best i can tell. Does that sound like a company you'd trust?

Since Panerai did the Brooklyn Bridge, for $16,000 for a 1118... In your opinion, is the Asian 9010 Gen 1 movement better than the Panerai Evolution? As a math guy, for $400 versus $16,000 i could get 40 VSF 1118s and just throw each one away when they break. Am sure that must make Panerai wince a bit upon hearing this, yet they also post fakes on their social media so am sure they are very aware of the situation.

So Panerai, the ball has been in your court to show us why the 1118 is worth $16,000. This is more than a SS Rolex Daytona and about the same as the AMAZING Rolex Sky-Dweller too. The Sky-Dweller has a truly incredible movement! Again, I'm hoping for VERY tweaks parts and some cool stuff to prove the value of Panerai as they up the anti into being a true manufacturer of high-end movements.

PS: It still blows my mind the Bvlgari Octo FS is only msrp $12,000 and has sooo many incredible innovations, movement decorations, and 100m WP too. The bracelet is verrrry comfy too.

Old 24 February 2021, 03:03 AM   #14
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
True a bit obsessed, yet when a company is asking $16,000 for a 1118 with mystery movement am 100% sure many enthusiasts want to KNOW what they are really buying. It sounds VERY fishy they ask you not to publish pics as it's been many months since they first used this movement. So you can see why there may be quite a few people hesitating on buying Panerai at this point. Plus removal of a very common mechanical movement feature (stop seconds) is usually not good news for an 'Evolution'... unless there's some truly tweak parts inside we're waiting to hear about :)

As a journalist, their refusal to give details on a 6+ month old movement that is already being installed within timepieces brings up major suspicion and have been receiving quite a bit of feedback to keep asking. There are some prominent reviewers who have also enquired, with no answers as best i can tell. Does that sound like a company you'd trust?

Since Panerai did the Brooklyn Bridge, for $16,000 for a 1118... In your opinion, is the Asian 9010 Gen 1 movement better than the Panerai Evolution? As a math guy, for $400 versus $16,000 i could get 40 VSF 1118s and just throw each one away when they break. Am sure that must make Panerai wince a bit upon hearing this, yet they also post fakes on their social media so am sure they are very aware of the situation.

So Panerai, the ball has been in your court to show us why the 1118 is worth $16,000. This is more than a SS Rolex Daytona and about the same as the AMAZING Rolex Sky-Dweller too. The Sky-Dweller has a truly incredible movement! Again, I'm hoping for VERY tweaks parts and some cool stuff to prove the value of Panerai as they up the anti into being a true manufacturer of high-end movements.

PS: It still blows my mind the Bvlgari Octo FS is only msrp $12,000 and has sooo many incredible innovations, movement decorations, and 100m WP too. The bracelet is verrrry comfy too.
Let’s not confuse where and who makes Panerai in-house movements. The original/gen 1 P.9010 is a all Panerai/Swiss in-house movement. A thinner evolution of their in-house Panerai P.9000 movement.

I have tested my gen 1 P.9010 and it’s amplitude and power reserve is some of the strongest in the industry. 81 hour power reserve with a very strong amplitude days into its power reserve.

Old 24 February 2021, 06:59 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great post and agree. That's part of why i am deeeeply hoping they have some new tricks up their sleeves for these 70-year warranty timepieces. That's why they had to eliminate stop-seconds, to accommodate something new :)

Old 24 February 2021, 08:39 AM   #16
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

I’ve asked an extremely reliable source at Panerai about the changes...hope to hear back in the next day or two.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Old 25 February 2021, 12:56 AM   #17
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

In a nut shell the change was made to help support the PAMGUARD 8 year warranty, as well as longer warranties. Was the hacking mechanism a current problem? Maybe. Was it a potential future problem with regard to future warranty claims? That seems to be the case.

The only problem I have with the change is that it was done mid-stream without any real notification for current and future customers.

In any regard, two new movements will be announced in the coming weeks as well as details on the new 9010.

As for finishing it’s just a new aesthetic. No issue either way with that IMO.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Old 25 February 2021, 07:05 AM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Cool, thanks for the info

Look fwd to the new movement announcements.

Old 25 February 2021, 07:37 AM   #19
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

*These are my words.*
As for finishing it’s just a new aesthetic.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Old 25 February 2021, 11:17 AM   #20
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

I should note the 9010 is said to “benefit from new technical enhancements.” What this means is yet to be revealed. Perhaps, and this is purely my speculation, some of the lubrication-free LAB ID technologies are trickling down.

In any regard, all will be well my friends. Let’s let Panerai make the official announcement on their timeframe.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Old 25 February 2021, 02:14 PM   #21
cobradriver
"TRF" Member

To deepen the mystery... hacking seconds on 1122, with 70 year warranty

Interestingly, in another thread, someone mentioned their 1122 has hacking seconds:

P.9010 movement has been updated for 2020

The 1122 has the 9010 movement, and comes with a 70 year warranty, so if the new version of the 9010 movement is designed in part to help with a 70 year warranty/longevity (or at least the removal of the hacking seconds), it's odd that it didn't go in the 1122.
cobradriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 11:40 PM   #22
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
Let’s let Panerai make the official announcement on their timeframe.
When is the announcement expected? Just seems strange to be casing a new movement for many months without divulging what it actually is to customers. Especially when features are removed. Maybe Paneri heard the backlash and is now scurrying to reinstate stop seconds?

The warranty is more a marketing gimmick imho, unless it is fully transferrable as then it has value. Is the 70-year warranty transferrable to new owners?

Old 26 February 2021, 12:05 AM   #23
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When is the announcement expected? Just seems strange to be casing a new movement for many months without divulging what it actually is to customers. Especially when features are removed. Maybe Paneri heard the backlash and is now scurrying to reinstate stop seconds?

The warranty is more a marketing gimmick imho, unless it is fully transferrable as then it has value. Is the 70-year warranty transferrable to new owners?

The “coming weeks” which could mean not until W&W, but I suspect sooner.

No idea if the warranty is transferable. The 8 year is, which is frankly more important than the 70 as it covers far more pieces.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Old 26 February 2021, 12:29 AM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Cool, thx. Am sure Panerai will make the 70 years transferrable too like their 8-year warranty, as the premium is really high on the 70-year warranty models. i plan to wear it, then give it to my wife's now 21 y/o daughter. So want to ensure the premium price covers her too. Don't want to burden her with repairs as she wears something i hand down to her, which is part of the 70-year warranty plan.

Old 28 February 2021, 01:16 AM   #25
BAMBAM
"TRF" Member

The “real” nonsense of the 9010 evolution is , and I quote a original PANERAI document, which I have from my dealer.

“”*The precious materials watches with open case keep the existing P.9010 version””
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 03:31 AM   #26
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ interesting data point. Maybe movement decoration differences? I look forward to their press releases on new movements. Could be some really tweak bits.

Old 8 April 2021, 03:16 AM   #27
pvdjunior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Kermit
Hi,

Just bumping this conversation to see if anyone has heard any updates on movementgate?

Thank,
Peter
pvdjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 11:13 PM   #28
pvdjunior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Kermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
I bought a 1313 recently and I was shocked that the seconds hand did not stop ..
So I got the info including the In house document where of course its confirmed the post from CanPam.

I got the watch changed at my dealer so I am holding one of the last 1313 with the real movement.
I guess PANERAI safe a few bucks on it .... disappointing.

I can mail you guys the original in house document mentioned above ( top secret )
I would be interested ins seeing the original in house document. Tried to PM you but it wont go thru
pvdjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 03:58 AM   #29
tedo
"TRF" Member

1056 with hacking seconds

Recently purchased a new PAM1056 with 9010 movement from boutique (was only available there and last new one in North America) that has this hacking seconds function. A good thing?
Old 9 April 2021, 08:39 AM   #30
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Good thing i GUESS, since we have no full info on the other movement. I heard during WaW it was to be disclosed, yet PAM still has not done so.