The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 April 2021, 11:32 AM   #31
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
Those are deeper scratches, not the finer scratches you would normally see after long period of use. Looks like someone mishandled the watch or even dropped it.
Yeah, this is what I'm thinking.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 11:39 AM   #32
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
PM big scratch, what gives

Looks like the AD may have struggled fitting the OF back into the lugs and as a result scratched the side while pressing the OF back into its position.

If the person is inexperienced with OF it’s easy to get carried away with pushing the OF back into place and ignoring what’s happening to the rest of the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 11:48 AM   #33
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

PM big scratch, what gives

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHG View Post
Okay, to start, I’m not afraid of scratches. They happen but it’s a sign of usage. And those who say they don’t get them...good for you.
So I’ve barely owned my YG Daytona for a week (worn maybe 3 days). I’ve only laid it on its side on a soft material and once on a wooden credenza. I didn’t notice any big issues. I went to have it sized at the AD today and when I got home noticed a large area of scratches/swirls that look like 10years worth of wear to me. I called the AD to see how they handled the watch. They claim they were extra careful and used a pad etc. Who knows with these things how they happen. So the point is there is this area that appears dull due to the scratches. It’s obviously noticeable in only certain lights and if I’m looking for
it.
Just curious though, is the YG that soft that it can get this scratched this easily? Would anyone even consider a gentle polish of the area if this does seem extremely premature?

PS this picture really accentuates the defect. It’s not this bad in most lighting conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it looks a lot worse than it is. I’ve handled several gold Daytona’s on oyster flex and they all had those scuffs on the side. It’s caused from placing it on a hard surface. The gold is very temperamental.

But don’t fret! Take a small piece of cape cod wipe and rub the side down. If those aren’t deep scratches - and just superficial scuffs/swirls....your watch will look brand new in minutes.

PM me if you want more details. I dealt with swirls like these too.

DaveTheWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 12:09 PM   #34
Computantis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Elementary my dear Watson. It was the AD.

This gave me a good chuckle. Might have to rewatch the series now!
Computantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 12:13 PM   #35
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
No it certainly does not. A cape cod cloth erases fine scratches and swirl marks leaving a factory finish. The OP just needs a few minutes of lite rubbing over those marks. My favorite is a “Sunshine cloth”. I use it on Rolex 904l, Yellow 18k, Everose gold. Gold is the easiest to get a perfect factory finish. Just start with a clean watch before rubbing over the marks.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Poli...s%2C192&sr=8-5

15 years of wearing a TT Sub and using a polishing cloth. Show me any signs this 15 year old watch doesn’t look factory fresh from using a polishing cloth for all those years.

Excellent post and good sound advice.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 12:20 PM   #36
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Did you inspect the watch when you received it from the AD?
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 12:38 PM   #37
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

I have used a cape cod on my PM Rolexes, never had an issue. Just don’t overuse it because it does take off a bit of material.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 12:38 PM   #38
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No it certainly does not. A cape cod cloth erases fine scratches and swirl marks leaving a factory finish. The OP just needs a few minutes of lite rubbing over those marks. My favorite is a “Sunshine cloth”. I use it on Rolex 904l, Yellow 18k, Everose gold. Gold is the easiest to get a perfect factory finish. Just start with a clean watch before rubbing over the marks.

15 years of wearing a TT Sub and using a polishing cloth. Show me any signs this 15 year old watch doesn’t look factory fresh from using a polishing cloth for all those years.

Actually, your photos show exactly the sort of problem that comes from using these sorts of polishing cloths:

On highly-polished surfaces, a Cape Cod cloth or the like will create these sorts of wavy/dimpled distortions.

Also, you can see how the edges of the lug holes have rounded off.
mafoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 12:48 PM   #39
peterpl
Banned

As others have suggested use a cape cod. There is ZERO chance you will remove any metal or cause other imperfections using that polishing cloth and your hands.

You aint superman. You can rub and rub and rub all freakin day and it wont do anything with your hands. Dont use a polishing dremel or anything THAT will cause you issues.

Hands no worries.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 12:55 PM   #40
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
As others have suggested use a cape cod. There is ZERO chance you will remove any metal or cause other imperfections using that polishing cloth and your hands.

You aint superman. You can rub and rub and rub all freakin day and it wont do anything with your hands. Dont use a polishing dremel or anything THAT will cause you issues.

Hands no worries.
See my above post. Maybe there are some experts who can do it exceptionally well, but every Cape Cod job I’ve seen shows these sorts of distortions and unevenness in the polished surface.
Old 12 April 2021, 01:00 PM   #41
Robert Bruce
Banned

When, not if, a watch gets marked at a dealer, they will never, ever own up to it. My wife had a semi-expensive quartz watch in for changing the battery. It was a snap-on caseback. They phoned to say they had 'found' a scratch on the back and were 'not comfortable' with changing the battery, I would need to pick it up. When I saw it, it was instantly obvious that the tool they used to try and take off the caseback had slipped and put a big gouge across the entire back of the watch. But of course it had 'already been there' when they got the watch. Of course it had! Silly us for not noticing!
Robert Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 01:24 PM   #42
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHG View Post
Is cape cod cloth a crazy idea?

Quote:

You may wish to direct message Mystro, as he has been using CC for a couple of decades.

It is important to get the Cape cod packet, the ones that come in a tin foil, and open it up and use it only once for each polish drop.

You want to be in a clean dust free environment. Everything needs to be washed. You should be wearing gloves. For the buffing, you want to be using different spots. You want to rub enough to make sure that you get the haze out.

It's a process that you may want to practice on something cheaper, whether it be a spoon or a cheaper watch, for instance.

You will not cause waves or dimples.

Actually, a Cape cod would do wonders for that mid-case, considering that there are a bunch of micro scratches on it causing haze. You can try to get that mirror finished back. Just take some practice. You will not ruin the watch. You just have to be patient and careful, a lot of tape and a lot of taking your time.

You want to know how you would run a serious risk of ruining the watch potentially? By handing it to your authorized dealers on site watchmaker and letting him take it to the wheel.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 01:25 PM   #43
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Actually, your photos show exactly the sort of problem that comes from using these sorts of polishing cloths:

On highly-polished surfaces, a Cape Cod cloth or the like will create these sorts of wavy/dimpled distortions.

Also, you can see how the edges of the lug holes have rounded off.
Actually, I do not believe that is the culprit.

Mystro didn't you already have the lugs polished by Rik at this juncture ?

Old 12 April 2021, 01:28 PM   #44
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
You may wish to direct message Mystro, as he has been using CC for a couple of decades.

It is important to get the Cape cod packet, the ones that come in a tin foil, and open it up and use it only once for each polish drop.

You want to be in a clean dust free environment. Everything needs to be washed. You should be wearing gloves. For the buffing, you want to be using different spots. You want to rub enough to make sure that you get the haze out.

It's a process that you may want to practice on something cheaper, whether it be a spoon or a cheaper watch, for instance.

You will not cause waves or dimples.

Actually, a Cape cod would do wonders for that mid-case, considering that there are a bunch of micro scratches on it causing haze. You can try to get that mirror finished back. Just take some practice. You will not ruin the watch. You just have to be patient and careful, a lot of tape and a lot of taking your time.

You want to know how you would ruin the watch potentially? By handing it to your authorized dealers on site watchmaker and letting him take it to the wheel.

Good luck!

For someone as discerning about finishing as you, I’m surprised Mystro’s photos pass muster. I immediately noticed the waviness in the polished mid case and the rounded-off lug hole edges are visible from a mile away.
Old 12 April 2021, 01:29 PM   #45
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
This is why i never take a watch to an AD.
Those guys are jokers.
Go to your local RSC, they do a full inspection before they do anything on your watch, make u sign the document & get to work.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 01:29 PM   #46
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For someone as discerning about finishing as you, I’m surprised Mystro’s photos pass muster. I immediately noticed the waviness in the polished mid case and the rounded-off lug hole edges are visible from a mile away.
Hold on, let Mystro answer, I think that came from an actual polish job, from a polishing wheel, not the Cape cod.

@Mystro ?

Old 12 April 2021, 01:31 PM   #47
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
You say you called your AD about the scratches...you didn’t examine the watch when you picked it up, evidently. This undermines your case even if the AD (likely) mishandled the watch.
Old 12 April 2021, 01:32 PM   #48
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francist View Post
This is why i never take a watch to an AD.
Those guys are jokers.
Go to your local RSC, they do a full inspection before they do anything on your watch, make u sign the document & get to work.

I agree with this. This will not happen if you take it to RSC as they’re specifically trained in handling and taking apart/fixing watches.

The AD just hires sales people that haven’t been trained in adjusting your bracelets any more than you.

In fact, you’ll be more careful as you own the watch, whereas to them it’s just a job.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Old 12 April 2021, 01:33 PM   #49
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't agree with everything? Mystro also uses a 3m pad/scotch bad ... While he is very skilled after having various different pads, I would never do it, I would never recommend that anyone else ever do it, and I always advise against using the pads, brushes, fiber pens, etc.

Old 12 April 2021, 01:34 PM   #50
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
I agree with this. This will not happen if you take it to RSC as they’re specifically trained in handling and taking apart/fixing watches.

The AD just hires sales people that haven’t been trained in adjusting your bracelets any more than you.

In fact, you’ll be more careful as you own the watch, whereas to them it’s just a job.

This is not absolutely true, you may give it to Rolex service center, and then find other dents and/or scratches that they may gift to you when they hand the watch back to you.

Old 12 April 2021, 01:36 PM   #51
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't agree with everything? Mystro also uses a 3m pad/scotch bad ... While he is very skilled after having various different pads, I would never do it, I would never recommend that anyone else ever do it, and I always advise against using the pads, brushes, fiber pens, etc.

Whatever his methods or who did it, my point is that the attached photos are examples of polishing mistakes to avoid, not an exemplar of a job well done.

That said, while he’s free to correct himself, Mystro explicitly stated that the photos illustrate his own work with a polishing cloth. The problem areas are consistent with what I’ve seen in other attempts to use a Cape Cod cloth to get rid of scratches.
Old 12 April 2021, 01:37 PM   #52
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is not absolutely true, you may give it to Rolex service center, and then find other dents and/or scratches that they may gift to you when they hand the watch back to you.

OK, this may be different per RSC...

My experience has been excellent at the RSC in Singapore, not sure how good they are elsewhere...

Old 12 April 2021, 01:38 PM   #53
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whatever his methods or who did it, my point is that the attached photos are examples of polishing mistakes to avoid, not an exemplar of a job well done.

That said, while he’s free to correct himself, Mystro explicitly stated that the photos illustrate his own work with a polishing cloth. The little problem areas are consistent with what I’ve seen in other attempts to use a Cape Cod cloth.
You're right. I hear you.

Old 12 April 2021, 01:39 PM   #54
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
OK, this may be different per RSC...

My experience has been excellent at the RSC in Singapore, not sure how good they are elsewhere...

It's honestly a matter of luck, that's all.

Old 12 April 2021, 01:44 PM   #55
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's honestly a matter of luck, that's all.

Seriously, though—why not just use LAWW? I heard your prior critiques that they don’t exactly match the factory finish, but even if true, that ship has sailed.

To my eye their work looks pretty damned immaculate and I have yet to see anyone on the forum report the sort of finishing screw-ups that happen with RSC or the ADs.
Old 12 April 2021, 01:47 PM   #56
rusty427
"TRF" Member

OP that looks imo like work damage while being held hard in the pad while perhaps removing or adjusting the strap.
rusty427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 01:50 PM   #57
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seriously, though—why not just use LAWW? I heard your prior critiques that they don’t exactly match the factory finish, but even if true, that ship has sailed.

To my eye their work looks pretty damned immaculate and I have yet to see anyone on the forum report the sort of finishing screw-ups that happen with RSC or the ADs.
If you are asking me, I'll let you know what I think, they have messed up here and there, it happens, I'm not perfect either, none of us are. I guess everyone has bad days.
I wouldn't want them to take off my oyster flex, I wouldn't want them to pop off my ceramic Daytona bezel. I wouldn't want them to potentially take out the movement because they are going to hit it with the wheel, on a practically new within warranty watch purchased from an authorized dealer.

I think the op should spend 5 minutes with a Cape cod cloth, light and slow, and there will be no adverse consequences. I would recommend that before putting paste on a wheel and having it polished.

Old 12 April 2021, 06:24 PM   #58
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I wear PM watches everyday and don’t pamper them. The marks on your watch are not from wearing it. Your AD messed up.

Annealed 18K Gold gets just as easily and as much scratches as polished stainless steel.
Any surface which will scratch the gold will do the same to SS. Touching a brick wall, car keys, zippers, desk tops you name it.
Old 12 April 2021, 06:35 PM   #59
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I wear PM watches everyday and don’t pamper them. The marks on your watch are not from wearing it. Your AD messed up.

Annealed 18K Gold gets just as easily and as much scratches as polished stainless steel.
Any surface which will scratch the gold will do the same to SS. Touching a brick wall, car keys, zippers, desk tops you name it.
This

I don’t think of gold as “very” soft

I wear gold watches regularly and have some with a decade of wear. They don’t disintegrate like cheese.

The marks shown would be a heavily worn watch for 10 years. They messed up.

From my own wear, scratches and dents on gold would look exactly the same as on SS. A few more fine micro scratches which make mirrored finishes look a big duller maybe but that’s about it.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 07:07 PM   #60
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
As it's very centered at 9pm my guess it's from a hard surface. My experience is that rubbing from clothing is tends to uniform across the whole side. Gold is soft, I almost never put down my gold pieces on the side on a hard surface.
If the scratches are from the AD or you handling it is impossible for us to tell unfortunately.