The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2021, 04:04 PM   #121
AHG
"TRF" Member

What will they do differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 04:39 PM   #122
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHG View Post
What will they do differently?

They will make it look like new again, and without distorting the lines on your watch.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 08:19 PM   #123
FORTN
Banned

The scratch is too much to be blamed on the softness of Gold after 3 days of usage.
FORTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 09:04 PM   #124
challer
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t do anything. You’ll never prove the dealer did it. Just keep wearing it
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 07:46 AM   #125
AHG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
They will make it look like new again, and without distorting the lines on your watch.
Spoke to them today and sent over the picture of the watch. They agree that it's highly unlikely that the scratches are from clothing. They said they can make it look like new. They said they use a lapping polisher which barely removes any material. Can anyone comment on that?

Regardless, this would involve disassembling the watch to polish it. Not sure I'd do that this early on. Maybe if scratches accumulate over the years, I'll consider that (around the time of service).
Old 15 April 2021, 07:59 AM   #126
Oryx
"TRF" Member

looks like AD damage to me - unfortunately I have also had similar experiences
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 08:50 AM   #127
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
Cape cod and you're good to go. This looks like a hell of a lot more than 3 wears. Gold is not that soft... Nobody can polish out scratches, they area around the scratches is polished away to the depth of the scratches to make the surface flat again.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 08:52 AM   #128
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Spoke to them today and sent over the picture of the watch. They agree that it's highly unlikely that the scratches are from clothing. They said they can make it look like new. They said they use a lapping polisher which barely removes any material. Can anyone comment on that?

Regardless, this would involve disassembling the watch to polish it. Not sure I'd do that this early on. Maybe if scratches accumulate over the years, I'll consider that (around the time of service).
IMHO, there is no one better in the US than LAWW for this kind of work.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 09:38 AM   #129
RolexRog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay, to start, I’m not afraid of scratches. They happen but it’s a sign of usage. And those who say they don’t get them...good for you.
So I’ve barely owned my YG Daytona for a week (worn maybe 3 days). I’ve only laid it on its side on a soft material and once on a wooden credenza. I didn’t notice any big issues. I went to have it sized at the AD today and when I got home noticed a large area of scratches/swirls that look like 10years worth of wear to me. I called the AD to see how they handled the watch. They claim they were extra careful and used a pad etc. Who knows with these things how they happen. So the point is there is this area that appears dull due to the scratches. It’s obviously noticeable in only certain lights and if I’m looking for
it.
Just curious though, is the YG that soft that it can get this scratched this easily? Would anyone even consider a gentle polish of the area if this does seem extremely premature?

PS this picture really accentuates the defect. It’s not this bad in most lighting conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The AD seems to have you questioning yourself (whether it was that way when you took it in). That's a shame.
RolexRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 11:40 AM   #130
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My Sub was refinished by them before I became owner.

Pictures only say so much given angles and lighting can makes things look very different than in-person, but here are a few low resolution ones (which have a few hairline marks thanks to me). Notice the lines are sharp, the brushing keeps that 'dull sheen', and the reflection isn't 'wavy'. IMHO, this is what I personally consider to be a proper polishing.

Based on what I've read in this thread, it sounds like there is a good chance the Sunshine Cloth could remove this or at least minimize it. However, if you do decide to go the route of having this professionally done down the road, LAWW is a great place to do this IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mysub_1.jpg (217.4 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg Mysub_2.jpg (213.1 KB, 416 views)
Old 15 April 2021, 12:02 PM   #131
AHG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
My Sub was refinished by them before I became owner.

Pictures only say so much given angles and lighting can makes things look very different than in-person, but here are a few low resolution ones (which have a few hairline marks thanks to me). Notice the lines are sharp, the brushing keeps that 'dull sheen', and the reflection isn't 'wavy'. IMHO, this is what I personally consider to be a proper polishing.

Based on what I've read in this thread, it sounds like there is a good chance the Sunshine Cloth could remove this or at least minimize it. However, if you do decide to go the route of having this professionally done down the road, LAWW is a great place to do this IMHO.

That looks amazing.

Old 15 April 2021, 12:07 PM   #132
AHG
"TRF" Member

So it looks like when the time comes to polish professionally it will be LAWW. In the meantime I did use Sunshine cloth very gently for probably 1 min. I was not aiming for perfection but just enough that I don't keep looking at the watch. It came out pretty good. I could have gone a little further but again I don't need perfection. Maybe I'll work on it more later.

Old 15 April 2021, 01:00 PM   #133
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
I mean, hard to tell from just one pic, but I’d say you nailed it with the sunshine cloth. I definitely wouldn’t hesitate to finish the job with it.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 01:09 PM   #134
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That looks amazing.

Thanks!

Quote:
So it looks like when the time comes to polish professionally it will be LAWW. In the meantime I did use Sunshine cloth very gently for probably 1 min. I was not aiming for perfection but just enough that I don't keep looking at the watch. It came out pretty good. I could have gone a little further but again I don't need perfection. Maybe I'll work on it more later.

This looks really good...I'd say 1,000 times better from where it was. From more than several inches, I imagine you can barely even see the markings unless on certain angles. Another couple light passes and I imagine you can reduce them even further.
Old 15 April 2021, 01:13 PM   #135
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:

Good enough for me! Wear and enjoy!
Old 15 April 2021, 01:47 PM   #136
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That looks fantastic! One question: in the picture that shows the damage, I do see a bunch of faint horizontal lines... In the one where you use the sunshine cloth, I also see various faint horizontal lines. Were any of those lines created by the polishing cloth? Or were those horizontal lines they're due to the damage previously caused?

If they were not created by the polishing cloth, just spend one more minute and get rid of them. Let us know.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:05 PM   #137
AHG
"TRF" Member

I actually think they were from the cloth. But I'm guessing more time may remove them?

Old 15 April 2021, 02:26 PM   #138
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I actually think they were from the cloth. But I'm guessing more time may remove them?

This is what I was going to ask @Mystro ... The thing about Cape cod is that one is the polishing, and it comes with a buffing, or you can use another high quality cloth for buffing.

It's a strange mechanism with the sunshine cloths because it is just one cloth and that does everything. I understand that it's less abrasive, but there is no buffing mechanism, so it just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I know that if you do not rub the Cape cod cloth enough, like for a couple of minutes, then it could leave scratches and haze.

I am confident you need to spend another minute on this to make it better. Make sure that you clean your watch extremely well, that there are no contaminants, and now when you go back, use a new Sunshine cloth, don't use the old one, and you should wear gloves.

I don't think you should leave it like that, I think you should tape it off, and I hope you taped the ceramic bezel as well, spend another minute, making long soft strokes and then a bit harder and then be done with it.

If you want to practice, get a spoon, a silver spoon that you have, and practice on that for a couple of minutes. Did you do that first as I recommended above? After you do that, spend another minute or two on your timepiece, and then send us an updated photo.

@Mystro please see OPs HD photo above, and please guide him on what he needs to do next. Thanks!

Old 15 April 2021, 02:31 PM   #139
AHG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
This is what I was going to ask @Mystro ... The thing about Cape cod is that one is the polishing, and it comes with a buffing, or you can use another high quality cloth for buffing.

It's a strange mechanism with the sunshine cloths because it is just one cloth and that does everything. I understand that it's less abrasive, but there is no buffing mechanism, so it just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I know that if you do not rub the Cape cod cloth enough, like for a couple of minutes, then it could leave scratches and haze.

I am confident you need to spend another minute on this to make it better. Make sure that you clean your watch extremely well, that there are no contaminants, and now when you go back, use a new Sunshine cloth, don't use the old one, and you should wear gloves.

I don't think you should leave it like that, I think you should tape it off, and I hope you taped the ceramic bezel as well, spend another minute, making long soft strokes and then a bit harder and then be done with it.

If you want to practice, get a spoon, a silver spoon that you have, and practice on that for a couple of minutes. Did you do that first as I recommended above? After you do that, spend another minute or two on your timepiece, and then send us an updated photo.

@Mystro please see OPs HD photo above, and please guide him on what he needs to do next. Thanks!

Thanks. So I did all the above: washed with palmolive and water, taped everything off, used gloves, used multiple pieces of the cloth and long strokes. I just think I was scared to go harder. I did practice a little on my steel watches.
Old 15 April 2021, 02:33 PM   #140
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. So I did all the above: washed with palmolive and water, taped everything off, used gloves, used multiple pieces of the cloth and long strokes. I just think I was scared to go harder. I did practice a little on my steel watches.
Did you go back and forth at least 50 times on the South side Right lug? It looks like you just pressed down on it a few times... It shouldn't leave those faint lines. When you practice on your steel watches, did you get a perfect shine out of them at the end?

Edit: Just don't do anything else until mystro looks at it and gives his input

Old 15 April 2021, 02:34 PM   #141
russeree
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Wowza I would just wait for the next RSC serve to polish that up
russeree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:35 PM   #142
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russeree View Post
Wowza I would just wait for the next RSC serve to polish that up
He already made it about 85%... Read thread

Old 15 April 2021, 02:53 PM   #143
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Always take pics before leaving it with anyone. I then tell them when dropping off that I have taken pics and expect it to come back the sane way. Then, you have recourse if it comes back scratched or damaged.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:54 PM   #144
AHG
"TRF" Member

Did a little more. I think I'm done. Those horizontal lines are still there. Imperceptible on the wrist.

Old 15 April 2021, 08:37 PM   #145
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
It was probably done by the AD. However, a good rule of thumb when laying your watch down on a piece of furniture is to do it crown down instead of crown up. The crown is generally replaced in an overhaul, whereas the case would have to be polished if scratched.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 09:36 PM   #146
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

You could polish those up a bit more and remove them. This is where the use of the same part on the polishing cloth starts to act like a buffer. This becomes a matter of how comfortable you are with the results. You are not quite done with buffing part yet and the finesse of lightly feathering the pressure comes in. It’s hard to explain this as it’s more of a experience that comes with doing this for years. The best advice is you have to weigh out your limited experience in doing this to the end results and know when to say when that the results are good enough for your first attempt.

Obviously you are 98% better than what you started with. Getting more time and experience in doing this will give you your last 2%. It’s up to you if you wanna keep going.

I can tell you I could give you a perfect finish and make all those marks in striations completely disappear with your sunshine cloth.

All in all you have a victory on your hands at this point given the situation.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 09:41 PM   #147
Liga
Banned

Watch: Bulova Marriage
I hope he learns his lesson to not wear a bracelet on the same wrist as his beautiful watch.
Liga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 09:51 PM   #148
Das
"TRF" Member

Looks great, you did well. I would just leave it now until next service and get them to do a light polish, nothing more.
Das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 11:54 PM   #149
AHG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liga View Post
I hope he learns his lesson to not wear a bracelet on the same wrist as his beautiful watch.

Who said I wore a bracelet?

Old 16 April 2021, 12:33 AM   #150
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
OP, you made the watch looking very good. Job well done, hope you enjoy it again