The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 19 July 2019, 12:57 PM   #31
drtii
Banned

Watch: 216570 | 126660
Every single one of those watches could easily have been fakes. 2 young guys, one with an APRO the other with a 116500LN. It's not that their demographic wouldn't splurge on it, it's just not likely that they had the ability to even buy them because of how hard they are to get a hold of.

Those are also 2 of the biggest fakes out there.

As for the dad, his story is not even remotely accurate. I wasn't even into Rolex a decade ago and I knew the Daytona was difficult to get. No dealer was giving these away and he's actually confusing his story with an article he read on the Paul Newman auction that stated the Daytona was originally rumored to be given away as gifts and hard to unload.

Seriously, that man was lying.
Old 19 July 2019, 01:46 PM   #32
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtii View Post
Every single one of those watches could easily have been fakes. 2 young guys, one with an APRO the other with a 116500LN. It's not that their demographic wouldn't splurge on it, it's just not likely that they had the ability to even buy them because of how hard they are to get a hold of.

As for the dad, his story is not even remotely accurate. I wasn't even into Rolex a decade ago and I knew the Daytona was difficult to get. No dealer was giving these away and he's actually confusing his story with an article he read on the Paul Newman auction that stated the Daytona was originally rumored to be given away as gifts and hard to unload.

I feel like the ceramic Daytona is much harder to pick up than a royal oak. I bought my RO this time last year after a one month wait so I can't speak with certainty based on current state... But based on what I read on the forums - that is my observation

A man gifting guys kids fake watches is a sad thought but we have definitely seen posts on the forums of it happening (or inheriting)
Old 19 July 2019, 01:51 PM   #33
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I’m tossing the BS flag. The SS Daytona hasn’t been available, let alone at a discount since maybe the early 90s (if then). Before the PN auction ... hogwash!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19 July 2019, 01:56 PM   #34
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
If anything the Rolex craze which was in full effect by the time of the auction helped to push that sales price even higher of the PN not the other way around where the auction all of a sudden made the daytona C more desirable

Interesting, i seriously have thought for the last two years that it was the other way around.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, this is what I come to the forum for.
Old 19 July 2019, 01:59 PM   #35
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtii View Post

Man you guys are making me feel so NAIVE

I mean I hope that the watches are real, and that the dad is well off, paid $26k for the Daytona and just didn’t want to admit it

I would rather believe that than believe I met some dad who sponsors his wife and kids with fake watches.

Something tells me you MIGHT be right though. Because it REALLY threw me off that both of the kids didn’t seem even a little interested in talking watches, they just kinda smiled and kept eating.

I guess i will never know. I was I would’ve asked for a group wrist pic.

Maybe then we could tell if the Daytona or Royal Oak specifically were fake.

Thanks for your input !
Old 19 July 2019, 02:00 PM   #36
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
I’m tossing the BS flag. The SS Daytona hasn’t been available, let alone at a discount since maybe the early 90s (if then). Before the PN auction ... hogwash!

I’m starting to get the vibe that I was taken
Old 19 July 2019, 02:55 PM   #37
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Dang, that’s messed up haha

I do notice every time I compliment someone on their watch, they usually look at my wrist too

A couple of days ago I complimented a guy that was wearing a two tone champagne dial Datejust

He looked at mine and just said thanks as well

Lol

Yeah, it’s natural to look at the other wrist if someone mentions your watch. It might just be me, but when he looked at my watch and appeared unimpressed. Doesn’t bother me but just my observation.

Anyway, cool story of yours regardless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 July 2019, 03:28 PM   #38
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Yeah, it’s natural to look at the other wrist if someone mentions your watch. It might just be me, but when he looked at my watch and appeared unimpressed. Doesn’t bother me but just my observation.

Anyway, cool story of yours regardless!

As a watch enthusiast - I feel like I'm always looking at everyone's watch. Walking down the street, on the airplane, anywhere and everywhere... I feel like those of us in the community are just more aware / on the lookout

I don't always say something but if the situation is appropriate or makes sense, I may
Old 19 July 2019, 04:45 PM   #39
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Maybe he bought his Ulysee Nardin and the Daytona from the same AD? That would make the discount very believable then

Old 19 July 2019, 05:01 PM   #40
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Quote:

I’m with Mark on this one. Regardless, it was a great story.

2FA security active
Old 19 July 2019, 05:07 PM   #41
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Thread titles turning into youtube clickbait.
Old 19 July 2019, 05:07 PM   #42
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Who knows.....nice one if he did get it for that!
Old 19 July 2019, 05:45 PM   #43
Mike Jab
Banned

Cool story bro, but the older gent is blatantly lying.
Old 19 July 2019, 07:48 PM   #44
roviw
"TRF" Member

I bought my 2013 116520 White Daytona in the Summer of 2015, for some years prior to that the Daytona was very difficult to buy new, in fact the only way I could get mine, here in the UK, was to buy a pre-owned model. At the time pre-owned were selling at more or less new retail price. There was an earlier Zenith movement 16520 Daytona in the window at the time but that was up for £10500, mind you , look where the price of those are now !!
16700 GMT Master Pepsi Bezel
Old 19 July 2019, 09:20 PM   #45
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Maybe the old men had some memory issues and confused some decades. However, discounts even on the daytona are possible. I got a couple 100 off as i do on all the Rolex watches i get from my AD. In general 500 on SS sports and about 100 to 150 on the super in demand pieces. In general we simply round up the prices. Ex: 12.135 gets settled for 12.000
Old 19 July 2019, 10:59 PM   #46
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’m starting to get the vibe that I was taken

I don’t think you were taken. What I think is that gentleman was relating his story to the PLN Daytona in the auction he referenced.

You were thinking 116500 because that’s what was being worn at the table by one of the diners.

I believe he meant back before that auction (way back...40+ years ago) that he got one of the exotic dialed Daytona’s for 10% off. In their day, those Daytona’s were not the hot model the way modern ones are today.

In other words, the two of you had a great convo but each was talking in different era’s...he in the ‘70’s or ‘80’s...you in the current era.

But it does go to show Einstein was right about how time is relative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 19 July 2019, 11:23 PM   #47
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM2 116680
Cool
Old 19 July 2019, 11:42 PM   #48
JerseyChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega 300m Diver
great story
Old 20 July 2019, 12:10 AM   #49
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I think the devil is in the details re the discount. If you walk in and are lucky enough to get a Daytona, they’re not going to take 10% off for you, however if you go in and buy a 40k DD and a 15k Daytona you might get 10% on the sale. Is that full price for the Daytona and 13% off the DD? Who cares? It’s a 55k sale for 10% off. I bet I could get that and I’m just a regular guy with 50k to spend. He could also be a whale that buys a ton of stuff for business and pleasure and gets 10% or so off the top of everything. Everyone assumes everyone is lying and it’not always the case.

十人十色
Old 20 July 2019, 12:38 AM   #50
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
10% off of a Daytona 116500 (story)

Quote:
This morning, my girl and I went out for breakfast. As soon as I walked into the restaurant, I spotted an AP Royal Oak (the bracelet on those things shines like nothing else!)

A few minutes later, i looked over to the young man wearing the Royal Oak, and saw that the young man sitting across from him was wearing a white dial SS Ceramic Daytona.

Now I know a lot of you guys have collections worth $100k. I know a lot of you guys see 10 subs and 15 Datejusts on your way to work, but not me.

I rarely see “luxury watches” out in the wild. So I was excited.

When we finished eating, I decided to go over and compliment the young men regarding their watches.

At the table, it was the two young men, two women and an older gentleman.

I said “I just wanted to compliment you guys on your watches. Beautiful pieces. Have a nice day.”

The father of the young guys then says “hey, thanks man, nobody notices nice watches anymore!”

Then I noticed one of the ladies at the table was wearing a Yachtmaster!

Anyway, i replied “I’m slowly getting into watches, and it is so hard not to notice them when I see them out in the wild.”

We had a very nice conversation, he complimented my watch, and showed me his Ulysse Nardin watch

Super cool watch guy.

He also explained that he loved watches, he bought his Ulysse Nardin, the AP RO, the Yachtmaster and the Daytona himself and gave them to his kids and wife.

I asked him the million dollar question. “So how were you able to buy that Daytona? I hear they are very hard to get.”

He laughed and said “have your heard of the Paul Newman Daytona auction?”

“Yes”

“Well I bought it before that auction, for 10% off! Back then, dealers couldn’t get rid of those darned things.”

I explained how cool that is and how right now those watches supposedly sell for upwards of $24k.

He said he has no idea, but doesn’t care, because nobody is selling any of his watches hahaha (not even the ones he gave to his kids)

Just wanted to share.

Happy Thursday everyone.

Thanks for sharing!; what you were wearing?

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 20 July 2019, 12:47 AM   #51
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I’m not saying I disagree with you guys, but I don’t understand why he would lie?

Maybe he bought it gray and was shy to admit he had to pay a premium?
I was going to say he might not be into watches and got confused, but then he has a UN so he must know his stuff, so can't really say why, doesn't seem like he is a gloater.
Old 20 July 2019, 12:49 AM   #52
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I don’t think you were taken. What I think is that gentleman was relating his story to the PLN Daytona in the auction he referenced.

You were thinking 116500 because that’s what was being worn at the table by one of the diners.

I believe he meant back before that auction (way back...40+ years ago) that he got one of the exotic dialed Daytona’s for 10% off. In their day, those Daytona’s were not the hot model the way modern ones are today.

In other words, the two of you had a great convo but each was talking in different era’s...he in the ‘70’s or ‘80’s...you in the current era.

Paul Columbo could be right.
Old 20 July 2019, 01:00 AM   #53
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
Maybe the old men had some memory issues and confused some decades. However, discounts even on the daytona are possible. I got a couple 100 off as i do on all the Rolex watches i get from my AD. In general 500 on SS sports and about 100 to 150 on the super in demand pieces. In general we simply round up the prices. Ex: 12.135 gets settled for 12.000
Your example is not really a discount but the amount has been rounded.

$135 "discount" on a $12.135 watch is a discount of only 1.1% and personally I don't call that a discount.

The Daytona has never been sold at a discount because they were and still are selling way above retail.
Old 20 July 2019, 01:18 AM   #54
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
As a watch enthusiast - I feel like I'm always looking at everyone's watch. Walking down the street, on the airplane, anywhere and everywhere... I feel like those of us in the community are just more aware / on the lookout

I don't always say something but if the situation is appropriate or makes sense, I may

Same here
Old 20 July 2019, 01:19 AM   #55
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchbowl View Post
Maybe he bought his Ulysee Nardin and the Daytona from the same AD? That would make the discount very believable then

Possibly?
Old 20 July 2019, 01:19 AM   #56
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Pre October 2017 Paul Newman Daytona auction, my AD had Daytonas lining the case. She couldn't give them away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 20 July 2019, 01:21 AM   #57
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post

Awesome, thanks for sharing.
Old 20 July 2019, 01:23 AM   #58
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Haha I thought of that too. That maybe he has another Daytona (116520 or 16520) at home and was confused.

Who knows
Old 20 July 2019, 01:25 AM   #59
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
I think the devil is in the details re the discount. If you walk in and are lucky enough to get a Daytona, they’re not going to take 10% off for you, however if you go in and buy a 40k DD and a 15k Daytona you might get 10% on the sale. Is that full price for the Daytona and 13% off the DD? Who cares? It’s a 55k sale for 10% off. I bet I could get that and I’m just a regular guy with 50k to spend. He could also be a whale that buys a ton of stuff for business and pleasure and gets 10% or so off the top of everything. Everyone assumes everyone is lying and it’not always the case.

I mean that’s the most “luxury watches” that I have ever seen at one table. So maybe!
Old 20 July 2019, 01:28 AM   #60
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Have to agree and time to close this IMHO a fantasy island thread.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Closed Thread