The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 July 2019, 04:19 PM   #1
zza
"TRF" Member

In need of advice! Newbie

Hey guys, as per title I'm wanting to purchase my first 2 Rolexes which are the popular choices amongst many- Hulk and Blue Skydweller! I'm set on these two watches and I've been holding out for over 2 years now with no joy whatsoever.

I've registered with over 15 ADs, face to face and offered to pay for the watches in full until something turns up to show I'm serious etc but they've declined payment and just added me to the list. I've called different countries to try source one but again 70-80% premiums which I really don't want to pay especially since I've worked hard to be in the position I'm in.

I've recently been offered a brand new 2019 SD blue dial for £18250 but I just feel so hard done-by...

What else can I do guys? Do I sit tight I hope I get the call or are they any other avenues I can pursue. There's obviously a decent supply for them as there appearing on ebay often but the premium added to these pieces are unreal!

Thank you in advance guys and apologies if this has been covered before.

Z
zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:47 PM   #2
Goldnlivin
"TRF" Member

Hi Z! Your two choices happen to be super sought after pieces. The likelihood of you receiving those watches from an AD are slim to none....main reason being you have no purchase history with the 15 AD’s you gave your request to. Rolex AD’s won’t take your deposit Bc the watches you want get allocated to their vip customers who have established a strong relationship already.

Being that you want very popular SS watches, you have two options. One being to sit around and wait for a call that will never come OR quit waiting and fulfil your watch dream by going to the grey market. This topic has been gone over 100000x. This is the difference between getting the watch or not getting it at all. You say (like many others) the premium is so much higher...it’s not like you buy the watch and you instantly lose 50% of what you paid. Check out the pre-owned market for a blue skydweller, damn near BNIB prices. VALUES are holding steady and strong right now. Even in a recession, most people who buy a 15-20k watch prob aren’t going to be flooding the market with pre-owned rolex’s. Demand is super high and inventory is just barely enough for Rolex core clients.

I’d be damned to wait over 2 years for a watch that can be had in 24 hours. Go to a trusted seller on TRF and pull the trigger. Both the hulk and blue sky are beautiful! If you want to avoid the “big” premium go for a watch that is less, such as submariner black ceramic, it’s just a few thousand over retail!
Goldnlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:48 PM   #3
RolexInMelbourne
"TRF" Member

Option 1- wait, for some time.
Option 2 - how about looking into other beautiful watches, and reputable brands.
RolexInMelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:01 PM   #4
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

You've chosen two of the most difficult to obtain watches, so either become good friends with your AD (this is usually done by spending a lot of money, but maybe you are very charming), or go grey.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:33 PM   #5
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldnlivin View Post
Hi Z! Your two choices happen to be super sought after pieces. The likelihood of you receiving those watches from an AD are slim to none....main reason being you have no purchase history with the 15 AD’s you gave your request to. Rolex AD’s won’t take your deposit Bc the watches you want get allocated to their vip customers who have established a strong relationship already.

Being that you want very popular SS watches, you have two options. One being to sit around and wait for a call that will never come OR quit waiting and fulfil your watch dream by going to the grey market. This topic has been gone over 100000x. This is the difference between getting the watch or not getting it at all. You say (like many others) the premium is so much higher...it’s not like you buy the watch and you instantly lose 50% of what you paid. Check out the pre-owned market for a blue skydweller, damn near BNIB prices. VALUES are holding steady and strong right now. Even in a recession, most people who buy a 15-20k watch prob aren’t going to be flooding the market with pre-owned rolex’s. Demand is super high and inventory is just barely enough for Rolex core clients.

I’d be damned to wait over 2 years for a watch that can be had in 24 hours. Go to a trusted seller on TRF and pull the trigger. Both the hulk and blue sky are beautiful! If you want to avoid the “big” premium go for a watch that is less, such as submariner black ceramic, it’s just a few thousand over retail!
You are right here I look at the incomings on this forum and none of the people are newbies they are people who have been on this forum since 2009, 2013 so in the watch game before it was popular unlike me or the OP. I have been looking at less popular brands now.
Madman37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:56 PM   #6
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

15 ADs and 2 years and still nothing??? I guess that's telling you something

Forget being on list of 15 ADs. Sure you might lucky and you might get a call but at end of day you just need to spend $$$$ at one AD and start building relationship

I have one NYC AD who I've used for years. In 2-3 year time frame I've gotten both Daytona 116500 white and black and Pepsi. Also have been offered (and turned down) SkyD-blue, hulk, SD43, DSSD-JC, BLNR jubilee, Daytona WG oysterflex, and Rootbeer. All at MSRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:13 PM   #7
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Buy a DJ and wear it everyday for 10 yrs. Your current selection of what you want is based not on personal experience but on what is the height of current fashion. If after a couple of years of DJ ownership, you still want one of your first choices, go for it.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:37 PM   #8
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Or pay a premium and get one of those two. You can enjoy it now and return to your regular pursuits. Sky-D prices are softening. I recommend going for the black dial instead. Very minimal premium. It’s the best among the three dial options anyway. Classic black.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:56 PM   #9
waveguide
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT II BLRO
It's hard to have a relationship with 15 ADs unless you have a regular rotation where you visit all of these shops monthly to chat about watches. You'll need to establish a relationship with an AD to get either or both of the watches you seek. One other poster here suggested buying a DateJust and wearing it for a while until one of your sought after watches are ultimately delivered. You can most likely sell the DJ later and at least break even. If you have a significant other who has a birthday, anniversary, engagement or other occasion coming up, pick and AD who can sell you something else you need and buy it there to deepen the relationship. Building the relationship is hard work--takes multiple visits over a period of time. These visits sometimes as shown in TRF do from time to time permit people to "jump" the list when someone the AD is waiting on someone they called to show up who does not. Alternatively, you'll have to go gray and pay the premium. In that case pick one watch of the two you want the most and just buy it gray from the most reputable dealer you can find. You might also look in TRF for a while to find a reputable seller there. If you have enough saved to buy both a Hulk and a Blue Skydweller you can afford one or the other with the premium and may have to settle now for just one of them.
waveguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 11:17 AM   #10
zza
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys for all your input. It’s time to face facts, a retail price sought piece isn’t going to happen so I’m going to take the plunge and purchase one this week!

I’ve been offered 2019 European registered Hulk and SD both with box and cards but no stickers. Hulk at £13750 and SD at £18250, I love them both but which would you say would retain the strongest residual value? I know it’s meant to be for enjoyment but it would cripple me if the prices plummeted after paying a hefty premium!

Thanks again for your expert advice.
Old 25 July 2019, 03:09 AM   #11
JayBab452
"TRF" Member

To answer your question, my thought is that the Hulk will likely retain its residual value better than the SD. The Hulk is theoretically a more limited and unique piece in my very humble opinion.

Now, I'm no expert on the secondary market for watches but my thought is that it if you buy either or both of them at that price, you'll likely take a decent loss if you try to sell them immediately or anytime in the near future. It kind of seems like you're buying them for the sake of a store of value when at that price I don't think that'll be the case.

Also, for the record I own a Hulk and that seems like a LOT of money to pay for one. For that amount you can get higher end brands from an AD.
JayBab452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 03:18 AM   #12
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by zza View Post
I love them both but which would you say would retain the strongest residual value? I know it’s meant to be for enjoyment but it would cripple me if the prices plummeted after paying a hefty premium!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 03:27 AM   #13
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

So what have you been wearing for the past two years?
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 03:57 AM   #14
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

pick one AD of the 15 - build a relationship with, buy UNregrettable pieces, such as, SS DJ 41, submariner D/ND. These should open doors for you and satisfy your desires for SD or hulk for the time being. At the end of the day, nothing could wring with these and if you don't like them, worst case scenario, you will sell them for a face value?

I would avoid grey at all costs, just my principles.

best of luck on your search.
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 04:11 AM   #15
Subconscious
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Buy the black Sub now while you wait for Hulk and SD.
Subconscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 05:03 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Thanks guys for all your input. It’s time to face facts, a retail price sought piece isn’t going to happen so I’m going to take the plunge and purchase one this week!

I’ve been offered 2019 European registered Hulk and SD both with box and cards but no stickers. Hulk at £13750 and SD at £18250, I love them both but which would you say would retain the strongest residual value? I know it’s meant to be for enjoyment but it would cripple me if the prices plummeted after paying a hefty premium!

Not if you don't sell it, so choose the one you really want, not for superficial reasons.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 05:11 AM   #17
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Dear Mods, can we register TRF as an official Investment Consultancy Forum rather than an Watch Enthusiasts Forum?
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 05:36 AM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Go for hulk.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 06:10 AM   #19
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Did you chose these watches because they are hard to get? If so, complaining that they are hard to get is a bit strange, don't you think?
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 06:12 AM   #20
Uggi
Banned

Only 3 options exist:
1) wait forever on a non-existent "list" and die before getting either watch
2) buy a load of other 'stuff' you don't want to build a "relationship" (which has zero certainty of getting you what you want) then flip the 'stuff' you've bought, probably at a loss
3) buy a Hulk on the grey market and have it on your wrist tomorrow - yeah it "might" drop in resale value or increase a further 50% but also you "might" get hit by a bus tomorrow: don't think about future unknowable as it's pointless
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 07:03 AM   #21
Andygmt2
"TRF" Member

Agree with the above views and advice. Although not a local AD, after visiting a few dealers, I chose the one that was most friendliest and to stick with them, purchase perhaps a subC first, then root beer, (also knowing at the same time, the blue SkyD was ‘impossible’, but the same day I bought a GMT, cheekily asked ‘if a Blue SkyD comes in, pls keep me in mind’) unexpectedly 2 weeks later, one came in and got the call. Stay positive and be patient.
Andygmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 07:44 AM   #22
Foxiness
"TRF" Member

Go the the AD closest to you once a week. They’ll get annoyed and eventually sell you one
Foxiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 09:05 PM   #23
zza
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I totally understand these Rolexes aren’t an investment piece, maybe if you’re paying retail but not 70-80% over! The only reason I ask about residuals is solely from an upgrading prospective.
Old 25 July 2019, 11:56 PM   #24
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
I'm in the same boat... kinda.

I have a Datejust / Batman. I want something else, just like everyone else, I want a white Daytona, however that will be a year+. It would be very nice to have something else in the time being. Then 'upgrade to the Daytona whenever that call comes.

The other benefit of this is increasing my reputation with my AD to get the Daytona (hopefully faster)

I am sure others will disagree with my logic, as of right now. It's just in my head.
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 12:31 AM   #25
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I totally understand these Rolexes aren’t an investment piece, maybe if you’re paying retail but not 70-80% over! The only reason I ask about residuals is solely from an upgrading prospective.
Buy the one you like best.

If that is a 50:50 call for you, I'd go for the Sky Dweller.

I'll get some pain for this, but the LV is just a green sub. Its current market value is driven mostly by current internet hype (when released they were unloved and often available with discount). The one you are looking at is effectively 100% over retail. £14,000 for a £7,000 watch.

The Sky Dweller has been in demand since release. It is an annual calendar watch - Rolex's most technically advanced complication. At £18,250, the Sky D is, by comparison, 65% above retail.

In those terms, the Sky Dweller bought on the secondary market represents much better value.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 09:06 AM   #26
zza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Buy the one you like best.

If that is a 50:50 call for you, I'd go for the Sky Dweller.

I'll get some pain for this, but the LV is just a green sub. Its current market value is driven mostly by current internet hype (when released they were unloved and often available with discount). The one you are looking at is effectively 100% over retail. £14,000 for a £7,000 watch.

The Sky Dweller has been in demand since release. It is an annual calendar watch - Rolex's most technically advanced complication. At £18,250, the Sky D is, by comparison, 65% above retail.

In those terms, the Sky Dweller bought on the secondary market represents much better value.

Exactly what I was thinking - thank you! I just needed that extra nudge

I should be collecting in the next few days! Thank you again guys it’s the first big purchase for me and hopefully the start of my collection.
Old 29 July 2019, 08:23 PM   #27
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking - thank you! I just needed that extra nudge

I should be collecting in the next few days! Thank you again guys it’s the first big purchase for me and hopefully the start of my collection.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 01:49 AM   #28
zengineer
"TRF" Member

It's all so very simple. Any Rolex is available to you tomorrow. If you want to pay retail then many are a long wait away.

Let's say it's a 2 year wait at retail or get it tomorrow for an extra $8000. Are you willing to basically rent it for $333/month?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 03:38 AM   #29
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Not even after two years you will get one from an AD. Not going to happen.
No purchase history, asking for two most wanted models, you are just looking to make a quick buck like thousands others . Why should any AD give you free money ?