The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 July 2019, 08:43 AM   #1
toffeevickers
"TRF" Member

Help with identifying a PP

Hi, a friend of mine has inherited this Patek Phillipe and has had it a while not knowing what it is or worth and has seeked my help. Does anyone know more about this watch? model number? years made? etc. anything would be appreciated, based on my research I believe it to be a Gondola? Thank you in advance. Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3983.jpg (30.9 KB, 484 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3984.jpg (41.6 KB, 486 views)
toffeevickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:34 AM   #2
toffeevickers
"TRF" Member

Bump?
Old 19 July 2019, 04:28 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffeevickers View Post
Hi, a friend of mine has inherited this
usually i stop reading after this
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:30 AM   #4
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

ouch
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:13 AM   #5
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Gondolo.......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:43 AM   #6
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Did they inherit the camera as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:14 AM   #7
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Well the box looks all wrong for the age of it. The condition is too new. Most of the older boxes from that era have deteriorated. The PP font is way too large for PP.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:23 AM   #8
toffeevickers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why do you stop reading after that?
Old 19 July 2019, 06:24 AM   #9
toffeevickers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Well the box looks all wrong for the age of it. The condition is too new. Most of the older boxes from that era have deteriorated. The PP font is way too large for PP.
It is 100% a PP, his dad received it as a gift from new. The box may have been replaced? I don’t know about that.
Old 19 July 2019, 06:24 AM   #10
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Perhaps your friend could come forward with more details.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:25 AM   #11
toffeevickers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchbowl View Post
Did they inherit the camera as well?

He is 80 years old, so doesn’t use an iPhone X apologies, any information on the watch????
Old 19 July 2019, 06:26 AM   #12
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
Quote:
Because 99.999999% of the time it’s a fake when prefaced with: my grandfather gave me this, my friend gave me that, I inherited this watch, etc, etc.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:29 AM   #13
toffeevickers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Perhaps your friend could come forward with more details.
He doesn’t have any, don’t you think I would ask them and post them here before hand? Don’t know why I would post half the information I have when I’m trying to help a guy out to identify his fathers watch
Old 19 July 2019, 06:32 AM   #14
toffeevickers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryacht View Post
Because 99.999999% of the time it’s a fake when prefaced with: my grandfather gave me this, my friend gave me that, I inherited this watch, etc, etc.
Is that an accurate figure? I really don’t understand the animosity for asking for help. As if it’s completely unheard of and impossible that someone could of inherited a valuable timepiece from his father 20 years ago.
Old 19 July 2019, 06:35 AM   #15
toffeevickers
"TRF" Member

So what everyone is saying is... “no we don’t know enough PP history to answer and we are jealous cynics so I’ll leave a childish comment instead”�� the internet was made for you
Old 19 July 2019, 07:15 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So what everyone is saying is... “no we don’t know enough PP history to answer and we are jealous cynics so I’ll leave a childish comment instead”�� the internet was made for you
people with like zero posts come here all the time with watches found in drawers, inherited watches, grandpas watch, etc etc etc.... and they post fuzzy pics. Its almost always fake.

i cant tell anything from what you provided except that box looks a bit off
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 19 July 2019, 07:20 AM   #17
Aquaman
Banned

TAXI for toffeevickers

sorry to easy
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 07:43 AM   #18
toffeevickers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
people with like zero posts come here all the time with watches found in drawers, inherited watches, grandpas watch, etc etc etc.... and they post fuzzy pics. Its almost always fake.

i cant tell anything from what you provided except that box looks a bit off
Ok thanks, if you knew who the chap was I’m asking for you would understand, I guess in my naivety I though people might help. Irrelevant if somebody posted a fake though it would still be a copy of a specific model and rough time of when the model was made would be knowledge people could share. Even if the photo is of a fake. Next time I’ll ask what PP is this a copy of please and when was it made? Then my friend might get a response.
Old 19 July 2019, 07:44 AM   #19
toffeevickers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
TAXI for toffeevickers

sorry to easy
*too

Showing your IQ there. TAXI
Old 19 July 2019, 07:51 AM   #20
tubojunk
"TRF" Member

You would be surprised how many fakes are posted that have no semblance of an actual production model. Usually lots of engravings and and complications to make the watch look ornate.

My best advice is request additional photos so the members can see the dial clearly. From the pics you posted one clearly cannot even see if it says Patek Philippe on the dial.
Rolex 126610LN
tubojunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 07:59 AM   #21
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ok thanks, if you knew who the chap was I’m asking for you would understand, I guess in my naivety I though people might help. Irrelevant if somebody posted a fake though it would still be a copy of a specific model and rough time of when the model was made would be knowledge people could share. Even if the photo is of a fake. Next time I’ll ask what PP is this a copy of please and when was it made? Then my friend might get a response.
To be fair to all the responses, you have posted a photo of such poor quality it is next to useless. The box does indeed look suspect due to both it’s condition and the size of the PP wording.
You have already identified the likely model line as ‘Gondolo’ given the basic shape and style of the piece but beyond that who knows and to gauge it’s authenticity you will need to post far better photos of the dial and movement.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 08:59 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Us lot jealous of you, you from Spalding, Lincs? Get a map and a caravan and forget about this dodgy watch. #priorites
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 02:42 PM   #23
A971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
To be fair to all the responses, you have posted a photo of such poor quality it is next to useless. The box does indeed look suspect due to both it’s condition and the size of the PP wording.
You have already identified the likely model line as ‘Gondolo’ given the basic shape and style of the piece but beyond that who knows and to gauge it’s authenticity you will need to post far better photos of the dial and movement.

This was very kind of you to write.

Hopefully OP gets it...
A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 08:25 PM   #24
toffeevickers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Ok thank you. I’ll try get better photos but as I said my friend is 80 and I’m working with what he gave me. I don’t think loads of unhelpful sarcastic comments were ‘fair’ actually, that isn’t what there forums were made for, but we will have to disagree on that bit.
Old 19 July 2019, 08:31 PM   #25
toffeevickers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Us lot jealous of you, you from Spalding, Lincs? Get a map and a caravan and forget about this dodgy watch. #priorites
Haha did I hit a nerve? You’re making assumptions based on where an account I set up years ago says I lived. Ever heard of Stamford? Ketton? I know plenty of wealthy people in Spalding too.

As for forgetting about the watch? No. I’m trying to help a friend identify his fathers watch. It’s called being nice. You should try it? You’re only on this planet once so don’t waste it prowling watch forums to try and make fun out of people for poor quality photos or calling there watches fake. You can use your time better I promise.
Old 19 July 2019, 09:36 PM   #26
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
What could you tell from looking at those images?

Either take real images, closer and in focus of the front, back, sides, identifying marks . . .

Or take it to a Patek Dealer or competent watchmaker and have them open it.

Comments aside including yours, there is no way anyone expert or not can tell you anything with those images.

Good luck.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 09:48 PM   #27
A971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok thank you. I’ll try get better photos but as I said my friend is 80 and I’m working with what he gave me. I don’t think loads of unhelpful sarcastic comments were ‘fair’ actually, that isn’t what there forums were made for, but we will have to disagree on that bit.

You had our sympathy for a minute. Now you’re just whining.

The pictures are ridiculous. Live with it.

Really, thanks for showing us Bigfoot’s watch.

A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:28 PM   #28
ts3
"TRF" Member

Uuuhhhh - this one got nasty quickly...

I second those saying that the pics don't tell much other than the box likely being fake and out of period to boot.

However, I'll give it a shot... The OPs watch looks like a 2488 from the 1950s. Should have cal 10-200 and measure about 35x28mm w lug width 20mm all of the OP or his friend can check, if needed w the help of pretty much any watch maker... Better pics including of the movement are required as well although I am no expert on those... Others here may be...

OP let us know the outcome...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:38 PM   #29
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
to be fair the forums weren't made for someone to make their first post to give us homework either with incomplete or impossible information. generally contributors get more help than those who do not. You have to look at it from the other way. People around here get used all the time by people who get what they need and leave.

People also try to slip fakes by all the time to see if we notice.... kind of a test run before they attempt to sell it

there is two sides to every situation. I will be happy to assist if you provide clear pics, front and back. movement pics etc.

You are not getting a hard time for asking the question. Its more about no one has a clue who you are and we cant separate you from the rest of the randoms who ask the same type of question every day. Good on you for staying engaged in the thread. Most dont
Old 20 July 2019, 02:51 AM   #30
toffeevickers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Uuuhhhh - this one got nasty quickly...

I second those saying that the pics don't tell much other than the box likely being fake and out of period to boot.

However, I'll give it a shot... The OPs watch looks like a 2488 from the 1950s. Should have cal 10-200 and measure about 35x28mm w lug width 20mm all of the OP or his friend can check, if needed w the help of pretty much any watch maker... Better pics including of the movement are required as well although I am no expert on those... Others here may be...

OP let us know the outcome...
Appreciate your attempts at trying to help with the limited information I have. I may be at the chaps house on Saturday if our outdoor event is rained off. And will then get better and more detailed photos. As said these are what he sent to me, he is 80 so I was lucky to receive any pictures at all. I’ll update with more photos when I can.

Last edited by toffeevickers; 20 July 2019 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: Spelling