The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 July 2019, 01:04 PM   #1
dinosaysrawr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
How to handle this situation?

So I purchased a 1996 T-serial 16570 from a jeweler with 5 physical locations in Long Island. I bought the watch through their website, and I called them to discuss the condition of the watch and shipping details before making the purchase.

Today I got the watch, and I noticed that the buckle is not the original buckle that 16570 comes with. Rather, it’s a gmt master/ explorer buckle from 1993 (R serial buckle, made 3 years before the watch). I have the listing and pictures from their website which shows the original buckle and the description that says original buckle. I also confirmed with them on the phone before I made the purchase that everything on the watch was original.

Now the buckle that it came with is by no means uncomfortable. The bracelet fits my wrist perfectly, and I might not have even noticed the different buckle if I hadn’t taken my time to check the serial number. Also, the watch itself is the one from the listing (checked serial).

I’m looking for advice on how to handle this situation. I’m definitely going to call them, but what should I say? Ask them for the original buckle? A partial refund? Or something else?

Thanks for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dinosaysrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 01:11 PM   #2
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
If it bothers you (and I think it does) you should contact them and give them a chance to make it right. If they can’t or won’t then I would send it back.
124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 01:16 PM   #3
dinosaysrawr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brich436 View Post
If it bothers you (and I think it does) you should contact them and give them a chance to make it right. If they can’t or won’t then I would send it back.

Well the watch is fantastic and the bracelet fits my wrist so well, it’s just that I kinda feel tricked, even though the outcome isn’t bad. I guess I’ll call them and ask what happened?

Old 18 July 2019, 01:27 PM   #4
Hub6152
Banned

There’s no specific type of clasp for a GMT or Exp. The plain clasp or the short locking clasp are both options for the 16570 so either is correct for the watch. If the clasp you received isn’t the one as advertised then you’re perfectly within your rights to complain. Either the website photos were of another watch or someone has swapped the clasp, or more likely the whole bracelet!
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 01:28 PM   #5
zjd168
"TRF" Member

I would start by asking them what happened, then decide the next step, which could be from doing nothing up to returning the watch for full refund.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 01:33 PM   #6
acfcheung
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K for now
The fact that you started a post means it bothers you, and its just wrong for them to misrepresent like that, I'd do sth about it.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
acfcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 01:50 PM   #7
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
When I bought my GMT Master II Pepsi new in 1989, which still looks great by the way, I told the AD that I wanted the bracelet clasp that comes on the Submariner instead because it had the clasp lock and divers extension. This AD happily made the change for an additional $50. I don’t remember of it was considered an option back then or if they just made the change on their own. Rolex rules were different back then. I could have purchased the Coke bezel separately and for datejusts, you could buy more than one dial if you wanted multiple colors. But once fakes started entering the market, Rolex stopped allowing you to buy extra parts just to have.

I don’t know if this is what happened with you’re watch but just another data point

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 07:15 PM   #8
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
So they switched buckles after they sold it to you, but before shipment?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 07:18 PM   #9
bonatto
"TRF" Member

Is it possible that the three year old bracelet was simply an available part at rolex when the watch was assembled?
bonatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 07:28 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonatto View Post
Is it possible that the three year old bracelet was simply an available part at rolex when the watch was assembled?
No internet chart can give a exact production date for any watch or clasp only a approx indication between X&Y years when it was made. Plus clasps are made separate to bracelet so quite often there could be chart code differences.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 09:20 PM   #11
dinosaysrawr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonatto View Post

Well the pictures from the listing different than the one that came with the watch so I assume that’s not the case

Old 18 July 2019, 10:50 PM   #12
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaysrawr View Post
So I purchased a 1996 T-serial 16570 from a jeweler with 5 physical locations in Long Island. I bought the watch through their website, and I called them to discuss the condition of the watch and shipping details before making the purchase.

Today I got the watch, and I noticed that the buckle is not the original buckle that 16570 comes with. Rather, it’s a gmt master/ explorer buckle from 1993 (R serial buckle, made 3 years before the watch). I have the listing and pictures from their website which shows the original buckle and the description that says original buckle. I also confirmed with them on the phone before I made the purchase that everything on the watch was original.

Now the buckle that it came with is by no means uncomfortable. The bracelet fits my wrist perfectly, and I might not have even noticed the different buckle if I hadn’t taken my time to check the serial number. Also, the watch itself is the one from the listing (checked serial).

I’m looking for advice on how to handle this situation. I’m definitely going to call them, but what should I say? Ask them for the original buckle? A partial refund? Or something else?

Thanks for your help

I would personally send it back
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:27 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .
Today I got the watch, and I noticed that the buckle is not the original buckle that 16570 comes with. Rather, it’s a gmt master/ explorer buckle from 1993 (R serial buckle, made 3 years before the watch).. . .
Sorry, you are not specific enough.

The Explorer II and the GMT share the same bracelets/clasps, and so there are several that would be "correct" for your watch.

Still, a 20+ year old watch may not have the same "original" bracelet as these do wear out and are considered expendable.

Perhaps the one you saw in the photo was trashed and they put on a perfectly good replacement from the same era for your benefit.
Old 19 July 2019, 01:38 AM   #14
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I would await an explanation. If it was like the above comment, they should have told you what they were doing. If not, it sounds even sneakier. While I would never know or think to check, the fact that they changed this after posting it would make me want to send it back and find a more transparent vendor. Unless they had a really good explanation.
Old 19 July 2019, 02:28 AM   #15
Pballkm21
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for your help

I wouldn't accept this. Note their return policy as well. I would call them immediately, get your money back and purchase the watch elsewhere.
Pballkm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:02 AM   #16
GBD
"TRF" Member

If what you received is different from what was pictured in the sales ad, you have every right to complain.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:13 AM   #17
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
[QUOTE=Brich436;9819132]If it bothers you (and I think it does) you should contact them and give them a chance to make it right. If they can’t or won’t then I would send it back.[/QUOT

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!
Old 19 July 2019, 06:25 AM   #18
Little machines
"TRF" Member

I think i know who you are writing about. I would call them they seem to be very reasonable jewelers. Work something out. Good luck!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:31 AM   #19
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Just keep the watch and enjoy it. What is a original bracelet? You never know, there was even 16570 with FlipLock just before they got OysterLock.
So with Rolex you can never be sure. If it's important for you everything is original with the watch, the only is to buy a new one.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:58 AM   #20
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

If the pictures depict a different clasp than was shipped, it would bother me too. However if the clasp shipped is OEM and comfortable, then I would contact them to lodge your dismay but be prepared for any options they give you. Examples:
-would you return the watch if they offer you a full refund?
-would you want them to change the clasp to something like in the photo , knowing that it is probably not original to this specific watch?
-if they offer to give you partial refund vs full refund , how much would satisfy you to keep the watch? $50 ? $100 ? $500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 07:13 AM   #21
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
I would call the seller
Ask for his explanation as to why the pictures of the sale offer differ to the actual product received
Listen to their reasoning. If it’s good then accept the sale
If it’s not good return the watch for a full refund

If their reason is not good you will never ever be happy with the watch

I would also worry about the movement ... Is that all original or “messed about” also ?
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:44 AM   #22
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Hopefully you can return the watch. Receiving a watch different than the photo is a breech of contract. I went thru this drama three times and lost several thousand while learning the game. After a couple years on the Forum you learn how to purchase. There are sites completely devoted to discussing Who's Who of buying and selling.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:55 AM   #23
dinosaysrawr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesN View Post
I would call the seller
Ask for his explanation as to why the pictures of the sale offer differ to the actual product received
Listen to their reasoning. If it’s good then accept the sale
If it’s not good return the watch for a full refund

If their reason is not good you will never ever be happy with the watch

I would also worry about the movement ... Is that all original or “messed about” also ?
I did some research on what clasp this is, and it turns out it's the clasp that came with Explorer 1016 (clasp 78360). Not sure about the movement, but it seems at the moment that the front view picture of the watch was the actual watch, but the rear view was of a different explorer ii. Will definitely call this Saturday to get to the bottom of this.
Old 19 July 2019, 11:02 AM   #24
Pballkm21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did some research on what clasp this is, and it turns out it's the clasp that came with Explorer 1016 (clasp 78360). Not sure about the movement, but it seems at the moment that the front view picture of the watch was the actual watch, but the rear view was of a different explorer ii. Will definitely call this Saturday to get to the bottom of this.
I would let them know sooner rather than later so they can't try to play the blame game.
Old 19 July 2019, 11:02 AM   #25
dinosaysrawr
"TRF" Member

Pics of the clasp

Pic from the listing
Old 19 July 2019, 11:07 AM   #26
AP8ESQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Clearly a different watch from the ad pic - no caseback sticker remnants showing.
AP8ESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 11:09 AM   #27
Pballkm21
"TRF" Member

Yeah that's totally unacceptable
Old 19 July 2019, 11:10 AM   #28
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Pics of the clasp

Pic from the listing
Not cool - ask them what happen?
Old 19 July 2019, 11:12 AM   #29
dinosaysrawr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Not cool - ask them what happen?
Going to call them Saturday, I'm too busy during their business hours during weekdays. Do you know if one clasp is better than the other?
Old 19 July 2019, 11:16 AM   #30
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Going to call them Saturday, I'm too busy during their business hours during weekdays. Do you know if one clasp is better than the other?
Was it Collectors?

Well one isn't necessarily better, but the sub clasp has the added security of the fliplock.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote