The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 March 2021, 07:40 AM   #1
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Zenith Daytona Question

Hi. I might be tempted to get a Zentih Daytona MY 1998.
It cost £17950 but without box and papers.
Since it’s pre-owned, I don’t really want the box and papers anyway so that when I sent it for service I can make it feel like it belongs to me.
The hard part is that I might need to trade in my 2 Datejusts 126234 which I’m a bit reluctant to as it is complete with box and papers for both and even the bezel protector.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 07:50 AM   #2
cronos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Hi. I might be tempted to get a Zentih Daytona MY 1998.
It cost £17950 but without box and papers.
Since it’s pre-owned, I don’t really want the box and papers anyway so that when I sent it for service I can make it feel like it belongs to me.
The hard part is that I might need to trade in my 2 Datejusts 126234 which I’m a bit reluctant to as it is complete with box and papers for both and even the bezel protector.
That seems high. I saw one at a local AD that sells used and vintage watches for $15,000

1996 Rolex Cosmograph Daytona “Zenith” (16523)
Vintage & Pre-Owned Watches
Style No: 450275

"Now bordering on legendary, and becoming extremely collectible, these early self-winding Daytonas were powered by a Zenith El Primero movement that was modified by Rolex for their purposes. This example is in phenomenal condition and was clearly very lightly worn. This timepiece recently received a full service, and it includes its original boxes.
$15,950"
cronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 08:03 AM   #3
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronos View Post
That seems high. I saw one at a local AD that sells used and vintage watches for $15,000

1996 Rolex Cosmograph Daytona “Zenith” (16523)
Vintage & Pre-Owned Watches
Style No: 450275

"Now bordering on legendary, and becoming extremely collectible, these early self-winding Daytonas were powered by a Zenith El Primero movement that was modified by Rolex for their purposes. This example is in phenomenal condition and was clearly very lightly worn. This timepiece recently received a full service, and it includes its original boxes.
$15,950"
Thanks for the reply. Yeah it’s on the higher side but I supposed they are a fairly reputable and able to guarantee authenticity. It’s a stainless steel one I’m looking at. I might see how it goes... if it’s still available in August I might buy it outright if the price remains stable.
Old 25 March 2021, 10:08 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A SS Daytona will frequently get a higher price than the TT version.

Personally I like the TT version, but it just isn't as popular, therefore cannot command the price a SS brings.
Old 25 March 2021, 10:43 AM   #5
Sunstreaker
"TRF" Member

What do you mean by making it feel like it belongs to you by sending it to service with Rolex ?
Sunstreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 10:58 AM   #6
gleiden
"TRF" Member

That price is on the high side. 16523s round here go for around equivalent of 13000 quid.
gleiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 11:02 AM   #7
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
What do you mean by making it feel like it belongs to you by sending it to service with Rolex ?
I usually don’t buy pre-owned watches because I want to have the warranty card written in my name and dated on the day I bought it from the AD. Unfortunately Rolex no longer makes the Zenith Daytona with the 4030 movement. I’m looking to get the Zenith Daytona to compliment my 116500LN so that I can collect the different generations of Daytona.

The reasons why I don’t want the box or warranty card when buying pre-owned are:

1. Box and papers add cost to the watch. Daytonas are already super expensive on the secondary market and the warranty is likely to be over. The watch in question is a 1998 model. I will be wearing the watch in rotation so there’s no point buying a safe Queen.
2. I’m not keen to know the previous owner of the watch. So having his name on the warranty card is none of my business tbh. When I buy the watch, I would like to treat it as a NEW watch, which means sending it back to RSC for a full clean and service, then getting the service warranty card as the beginning of my ownership of the watch.

I’m just not sure if it’s worth giving up two full set Datejust 36 for a no box and paper Zenith Daytona. I love my watches and I have never sold or traded any previously. But I don’t want to miss the train of the Zenith Daytona before it shoots up in value. I can probably buy another DJ later on but not a Zenith Daytona....
Old 25 March 2021, 02:17 PM   #8
Sunstreaker
"TRF" Member

I get it now, that’s sound reasoning actually. I’m on the hunt for a 116520 white dial and I was convinced I wanted a full set but now you’ve got me thinking otherwise.

Re your question- I would trade them in towards the 16520. Did you find it online with one of the major greys or at a local store?

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I usually don’t buy pre-owned watches because I want to have the warranty card written in my name and dated on the day I bought it from the AD. Unfortunately Rolex no longer makes the Zenith Daytona with the 4030 movement. I’m looking to get the Zenith Daytona to compliment my 116500LN so that I can collect the different generations of Daytona.

The reasons why I don’t want the box or warranty card when buying pre-owned are:

1. Box and papers add cost to the watch. Daytonas are already super expensive on the secondary market and the warranty is likely to be over. The watch in question is a 1998 model. I will be wearing the watch in rotation so there’s no point buying a safe Queen.
2. I’m not keen to know the previous owner of the watch. So having his name on the warranty card is none of my business tbh. When I buy the watch, I would like to treat it as a NEW watch, which means sending it back to RSC for a full clean and service, then getting the service warranty card as the beginning of my ownership of the watch.

I’m just not sure if it’s worth giving up two full set Datejust 36 for a no box and paper Zenith Daytona. I love my watches and I have never sold or traded any previously. But I don’t want to miss the train of the Zenith Daytona before it shoots up in value. I can probably buy another DJ later on but not a Zenith Daytona....
Sunstreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 08:16 PM   #9
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Price does sound high, should be a full set for that money.
I nearly bought one a few months ago at my local dealer, it was priced at £10500, champagne dial, good condition with no box or papers.
I ended up going for a p serial 116523 as I prefer to have the Rolex 4130 movement and the solid bracelet/clasp which make a huge difference for me as it’s a daily wearer.
Back to your question, yes I would trade two Datejusts for one Daytona but maybe you can find a more competitively priced Zenith?
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 09:26 PM   #10
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
Price does sound high, should be a full set for that money.
I nearly bought one a few months ago at my local dealer, it was priced at £10500, champagne dial, good condition with no box or papers.
I ended up going for a p serial 116523 as I prefer to have the Rolex 4130 movement and the solid bracelet/clasp which make a huge difference for me as it’s a daily wearer.
Back to your question, yes I would trade two Datejusts for one Daytona but maybe you can find a more competitively priced Zenith?
I might consider the 116520 because the 16520 bracelet is hollow and feels a bit light. But I already have the 116500 and the zenith is different in the sense that the seconds hand are at the 9 o’clock position as opposed to the those with the 4130 movement.
Old 25 March 2021, 09:27 PM   #11
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
I get it now, that’s sound reasoning actually. I’m on the hunt for a 116520 white dial and I was convinced I wanted a full set but now you’ve got me thinking otherwise.

Re your question- I would trade them in towards the 16520. Did you find it online with one of the major greys or at a local store?

Good luck!
It’s one of the major grey dealers. I’m thinking but undecided at the moment. Hope it goes well for your search too!