The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 August 2018, 07:12 AM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seek3r View Post
"Kids" being the operative word...no "kid" should be wearing haute horology...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
your really going to hate this then. My 15400 i bought when my son was born. He gets it on this 18th birthday

However since its coming from me does that make him old money?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 3 August 2018, 07:13 AM   #32
seek3r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
your really going to hate this then. My 15400 i bought when my son was born. He gets it on this 18th birthday
Duh, you give such a gift on hi wedding day!

Old 3 August 2018, 07:40 AM   #33
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:

IMO that’s a pretty cool gift Tyler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 August 2018, 09:10 AM   #34
Colin W
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
IMO that’s a pretty cool gift Tyler.

Very cool indeed - lucky lad

Old 3 August 2018, 09:16 AM   #35
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Your wrist is bigger, I'd say by the look of it, it's just over 8"

Just measured again. Just under 7.75” but it is flat so that tends to make warches look smaller.

Old 3 August 2018, 09:46 AM   #36
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"Kids" being the operative word...no "kid" should be wearing haute horology...

Oh no this is my 3 year olds birth watch.

First worn the minute he was born and papers dated on his birthdate. Will go back to AP for a custom rotor with his initials.

[url=https://ibb.co/cRmLve]
Old 3 August 2018, 10:42 AM   #37
seek3r
Banned

Most impressive piece. What reference?

Old 3 August 2018, 11:26 AM   #38
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Most impressive piece. What reference?

15305or 39mm vs the new 41mm.
Old 3 August 2018, 11:31 AM   #39
seek3r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
15305or 39mm vs the new 41mm.
The 39mm is tasteful, good job. 37mm would have done well also.

Old 3 August 2018, 01:17 PM   #40
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 39mm is tasteful, good job. 37mm would have done well also.

Thanks! figured the 39mm size was a little more timeless and was the min size I could wear until I can give it to my son. Have another son coming in December so have to figure out what watch to get him.
Old 3 August 2018, 04:10 PM   #41
ragsk
Banned

Oh god. OP please don’t look at the 44mm Offshore thread......we are all a bunch of showboating, pretentious, new money losers down there !!
Old 3 August 2018, 04:12 PM   #42
ragsk
Banned

And OP - I am new money. Earned it myslef, no one handed it to me in a will....and I’m pretty proud of it
Old 3 August 2018, 04:22 PM   #43
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:

Yup. That would make you the showboating tasteless new money and your son the subdued classier old money.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 3 August 2018, 07:17 PM   #44
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Yup. That would make you the showboating tasteless new money and your son the subdued classier old money.
Im happy to take one for the team on that one.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 3 August 2018, 07:47 PM   #45
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Im happy to take one for the team on that one.
Oh so he gets the AP but what about your complete nautilus line. He'll be aiming for those before you know it
Old 3 August 2018, 08:04 PM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Close, one needs to also consider the stereotypical(often true) mentality associated with each statute. New is typically associated with a mentality that seeks acceptance and acknowledgement of said new found weakth, hence the excessive flaunting and showboating with an oversized watch. Where was with old, there's an inherent need to keep things more conservative as the wealth has become normalized and common, hence the more demunitive and subtle watch sizes...that's my perspective...in other words, if you need a loud watch to shout about your success, it must be out of the ordinary for you...

When you grow up you will realise all this judging and discriminating is classless and immature and all the things you have been instructed to despise. It's all based on a deep insecurity and fear that what you have inherited you haven't earned and now have no skills to ever earn, but the entitlement goes so deep that you have to cling on until grim death, and have to attack others with genuine talents and abilities as the only way of maintaining your pseudo position. It's all a sham and you are fooling no one, only your sophomoric self.
Old 3 August 2018, 08:10 PM   #47
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Close, one needs to also consider the stereotypical(often true) mentality associated with each statute. New is typically associated with a mentality that seeks acceptance and acknowledgement of said new found weakth, hence the excessive flaunting and showboating with an oversized watch. Where was with old, there's an inherent need to keep things more conservative as the wealth has become normalized and common, hence the more demunitive and subtle watch sizes...that's my perspective...in other words, if you need a loud watch to shout about your success, it must be out of the ordinary for you...

the reverse stereotype is also true. Old money is threatened by new money so they call out new money like its less than.

People who work for their money, how quaint. That is still the perception of the aristocrat class in the UK. Having to work for your money makes you "middle class" so its about how you earned it, not how much you have.

It still buys the same stuff but the old guard gets nervous for sure as we are coming for you.
Old 3 August 2018, 10:04 PM   #48
Gigaton Punch
"TRF" Member

Looks too small to me.
Old 4 August 2018, 01:23 AM   #49
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So what about new money, who fancies that they want to be seen as old money, then in fact saves money, buy buying something new money isn’t after ?

It’s quite a perplexing situation really.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 4 August 2018, 01:36 AM   #50
seek3r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
So what about new money, who fancies that they want to be seen as old money, then in fact saves money, buy buying something new money isn’t after ?

It’s quite a perplexing situation really.

Old 4 August 2018, 03:38 AM   #51
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
Watch is ugly, in my opinion. I don't get what size of a watch has to do with trying to look like new money? A TT would say that more to me then a "larger" watch.
Old 4 August 2018, 03:44 AM   #52
seek3r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutch View Post
Watch is ugly, in my opinion. I don't get what size of a watch has to do with trying to look like new money? A TT would say that more to me then a "larger" watch.
You must be rocking a hefty 44mm monstrosity...

Old 4 August 2018, 04:33 AM   #53
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I make my own money, I guess new money, and I wear my 44mm RG everyday. Because its sick and suits my lifestyle on a rubber strap. Havent received a single glance or comment. If "new money" wanted attention, AP isnt the way to go. General public doesnt even know what it is. They will ooo and ahh over a Submariner, but could care less about a $18,000 15400.
Old 4 August 2018, 04:41 AM   #54
seek3r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad362wiley View Post
I make my own money, I guess new money, and I wear my 44mm RG everyday. Because its sick and suits my lifestyle on a rubber strap. Havent received a single glance or comment. If "new money" wanted attention, AP isnt the way to go. General public doesnt even know what it is. They will ooo and ahh over a Submariner, but could care less about a $18,000 15400.
Not the brand, but the asthetics, you're missing the point I made...and it's nothing personal against anyone who's new, or old, just a POV.

Old 4 August 2018, 05:47 AM   #55
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
Quote:

Nope two 41mm, 15400RG and ROC. Had that same Rolex GMT but TT was more for a present like you
Old 4 August 2018, 07:13 AM   #56
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Lol.
Old 4 August 2018, 07:37 AM   #57
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Bizarre thread but maybe old money people are just so preoccupied with being old money that they have nothing else to talk about.

OP, you’re overly keen to imply that you’re old money. You state that you have a passion for the dual time complication, prefer small and discreet case sides and you’re intensely anti bling as that’s a sign of new money. I’d find your uptight opinions more genuine if you were wearing a 37mm white gold Patek Travel Time which would hold its value and also be very understated. Two essential qualities for old money people determined to protect their wealth for the next generation or is it that old money types are put off by the fact that “you never actually own a Patek Philippe.”?

Instead you buy two dated semi bling two tone watches by Rolex and AP, your AP screams old school not old money and I’d never have expected two tone Rolexes to be the first choice of those who are so appalled by attention seeking.

Old 4 August 2018, 09:07 AM   #58
seek3r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Bizarre thread but maybe old money people are just so preoccupied with being old money that they have nothing else to talk about.

OP, you’re overly keen to imply that you’re old money. You state that you have a passion for the dual time complication, prefer small and discreet case sides and you’re intensely anti bling as that’s a sign of new money. I’d find your uptight opinions more genuine if you were wearing a 37mm white gold Patek Travel Time which would hold its value and also be very understated. Two essential qualities for old money people determined to protect their wealth for the next generation or is it that old money types are put off by the fact that “you never actually own a Patek Philippe.”?

Instead you buy two dated semi bling two tone watches by Rolex and AP, your AP screams old school not old money and I’d never have expected two tone Rolexes to be the first choice of those who are so appalled by attention seeking.

I own a PP 5370 and 5450, they're in the safe at my PWC bank, the first of which was my father's, RIP, so kudos to you for having such a keen read on me there...also there's nothing dated about my GMT II ceramic bezel, circa 2014, or blingy for that matter as it slips under my cuff rather discretely at 40mm...Rolex 40mm is a true 40, where as AP RO wears much larger at 39, more like a 42mm, which makes it stick out from under the cuff to greet everyone with it's flossy polish and wide intricate dial...hence the point of my post, affirming that the smaller APs are more on point as a dress watch, which is what I believe Genta intended.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk
Old 4 August 2018, 01:42 PM   #59
Kjp061987
Banned

Watch: PAM512
What a ridiculous thread. OP, your TT AP looks quite nice. A bit small for my personal taste, but to each their own. New money, old money, who cares. Wear what speaks to you, and that’s all that matters.

Old 4 August 2018, 01:58 PM   #60
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
Old money, new money.....blah blah blah.

I don't have any money. I'm not wealthy at all. I'm an average guy with an average job. There's food on my table and a roof over my head. I am good at my job, my family loves me and I have a few close friends.

I wear a Rolex for ME. I don't give a damn about what it says to other people. For the record, it's a 34 year old 15003. The moment you wear a watch, any brand, for others and not for yourself, you can be branded a fool.