The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 August 2018, 01:45 AM   #1
kunlun
"TRF" Member

When did Patek Phillippe stop hand finishing their watches?

Hello, I'm writing today with a respectful question for knowledgeable folks about the recent history of PP.

Patek is great, but they have gone through some changes and I'd like to understand when this particular change happened.

First: Hand Finishing, who cares! While hand finishing is perhaps the single sign of haute horology, it's also a matter of quibbling over tiny things that don't matter to most people.

Second: There have been a lot of pictures posted of recent Patek movements showing telltale signs that PP is using mechanical finishing, and has greatly reduced or eliminated time intensive hand finishing. I will focus on an easy tell. Which is on the anglage. Anglage is the polished edges of movement plates, etc. When it is done by machine, you get vertical lines. Some call this "chattering", some call it, uh, little vertical lines.

You can see it on both dress models, such as annual calendars and PP sport watches, among other models.

Here's an example from a 5712:

Here is another example:

Okay, so I'm sure the minute repeaters are still marvelously finished, I'm not saying it's absolutely all models, but many. And remember that you are under no obligation either to care or to somehow "defend" Patek. That's silly.

Further, it may be only the last few years.

My guess, which I would like to hear informed comment on, is that when PP switched from the Geneva Seal (which requires fine hand finishing throughout the movement and defines this in detail) and over to their own PP Seal, it allowed them to change their standards as they increased production dramatically. That's my guess only!
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 01:55 AM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

I have a 240 piece from GS period and also from PP seal period, I will try to compare them.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 03:47 AM   #3
gmstevenson
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex
Great photos and interesting topic.
gmstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 03:49 AM   #4
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Very interesting; subscribed.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 04:06 AM   #5
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I have a 240 piece from GS period and also from PP seal period, I will try to compare them.
Many thanks!
Old 9 August 2018, 04:29 AM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

ive never thought mine were hand finished, whether they are or aren't i just assumed no.

My vision is some watchmaker using a mechanical machine and finishing the individual components while holding them... so sort of by hand i guess. Ive never thought they were doing it with hand tools, the exception being parts they couldn't do with a machine. Maybe for grand complications or something they are all hand finished.

If they did and no longer do at least im not disappointed as i never expected it for a watch purchased post industrial revolution.

interested to know now though.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 04:59 AM   #7
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Was your watch serviced by someone other than PP. What you show looks like damage to me. If it left the factory that way that is not good.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 07:40 AM   #8
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Was your watch serviced by someone other than PP. What you show looks like damage to me. If it left the factory that way that is not good.
Those are two pictures of different watches. Each is how they left the factory. This is how Patek currently finishes its watches, at least for the majority of models.
Old 9 August 2018, 07:42 AM   #9
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
If they did and no longer do at least im not disappointed as i never expected it for a watch purchased post industrial revolution.

They did and many high-end watch brands still do, A.Lange und Sohne being a good example.
Old 9 August 2018, 07:55 AM   #10
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
ive never thought mine were hand finished, whether they are or aren't i just assumed no.

My vision is some watchmaker using a mechanical machine and finishing the individual components while holding them... so sort of by hand i guess. Ive never thought they were doing it with hand tools, the exception being parts they couldn't do with a machine. Maybe for grand complications or something they are all hand finished.

Well, the OP represents this as a matter of adhering to Geneva Seal standards or not. PP claims that the PP Seal is above and beyond.
Old 9 August 2018, 08:34 AM   #11
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

5712 is a steel entry level sports watch. let's not forget that.
Old 9 August 2018, 08:42 AM   #12
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

My photography skills are being tested (and found wanting) but here is a shot of my 5085 240 movement from 2005 (Geneva Seal) and my 5131 240 movement from 2015 (PP Seal). Hopefully you can see what I can see through my Loupe System glass? The PP seal 240 movement in the 5131 is finished to a higher standard than the Geneva seal movement in the 5085. Conclusion I would draw is that base movements are finished to a higher standard at a higher price point/complication and hence you can find images with Geneva Seal that look better than PP seal and vice versa!

Old 9 August 2018, 08:51 AM   #13
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
But we should also consider that the piece has just enjoyed a 20% price increase and that it carries the PP Seal, which is marketed as above and beyond the standards demanded by the Geneva Seal - that the piece carried before.
Old 9 August 2018, 03:42 PM   #14
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
But we should also consider that the piece has just enjoyed a 20% price increase and that it carries the PP Seal, which is marketed as above and beyond the standards demanded by the Geneva Seal - that the piece carried before.
I just looked at my 5712/1a (purchased new in 2017) under a loup and I don’t see any vertical lines on the anglage at all. Perfectly smooth and uniform...
debner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 03:59 PM   #15
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm not a loupe guy...I fear it too much collecting vintage lol....but I have a buddy that's a big lange/patek haute fan that's huge on dissecting watches with a loupe..he has told me on multiple occasions he thinks the higher end Patek (grand complications and complications) are finished better than the stainless sports pieces like the Nautilus and Aquanaut. So there's probably truth to this.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 04:42 PM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I'm not a loupe guy...I fear it too much collecting vintage lol....but I have a buddy that's a big lange/patek haute fan that's huge on dissecting watches with a loupe..he has told me on multiple occasions he thinks the higher end Patek (grand complications and complications) are finished better than the stainless sports pieces like the Nautilus and Aquanaut. So there's probably truth to this.
that was always my thought as well. I know we have previously been debating why Patek classifies certain watches as grand complications and not others. Simply being a PC most people dont think qualifies. Maybe there is more to it than simply the complications and the finishing is different. No idea, but it would make sense.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 9 August 2018, 05:09 PM   #17
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
that was always my thought as well. I know we have previously been debating why Patek classifies certain watches as grand complications and not others. Simply being a PC most people dont think qualifies. Maybe there is more to it than simply the complications and the finishing is different. No idea, but it would make sense.
It would not be surprising if Patek finishes it’s PM pieces to a higher standard than it’s SS pieces even when the model reference is the same.
Certainly the 240 movement finishing in my SS Neptune is inferior to my PM WT as demonstrated in my previous post.
Old 9 August 2018, 05:25 PM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It would not be surprising if Patek finishes it’s PM pieces to a higher standard than it’s SS pieces even when the model reference is the same.
Certainly the 240 movement finishing in my SS Neptune is inferior to my PM WT as demonstrated in my previous post.

That makes sense. I’m very happy with my SS 5712 finishing though. At least from the top view. TBH I have not looked at the edges much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 August 2018, 05:31 PM   #19
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
There are aspects of the nautilus case and the famed bracelet that are hand finished too. These are all documented in the Patek site.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 05:34 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
There are aspects of the nautilus case and the famed bracelet that are hand finished too. These are all documented in the Patek site.
to some extent its probably semantics. As where is the line drawn between machine finished with a hand finish touch up. What percentage has to be done with hand tools? I would suspect that the bulk on a bracelet is done on a machine for example and then it gets touched up by hand.

What is hand-finishing? Finishing smoothes away any tiny burrs or traces of machining.... So i read that as they are all machine finished and then supplemented by hand. No idea on if that is applied universally or to specific references though
Old 9 August 2018, 05:37 PM   #21
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That makes sense. I’m very happy with my SS 5712 finishing though. At least from the top view. TBH I have not looked at the edges much

Looks perfect. 👍

Of course the other conclusion is that some PP watchmakers are better than others at finishing. 😮
Old 9 August 2018, 05:43 PM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks perfect. ��

Of course the other conclusion is that some PP watchmakers are better than others at finishing. ��
very well could be a QC thing as well where some slip through and others dont. People have had far worse get though quality control. Didn't Tom have a 5711 once with no lume or some missing minute markers on part of the dial? Someone did if it wasn't him
Old 9 August 2018, 05:48 PM   #23
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
very well could be a QC thing as well where some slip through and others dont. People have had far worse get though quality control. Didn't Tom have a 5711 once with no lume or some missing minute markers on part of the dial? Someone did if it wasn't him
Might not even be a quality control issue, perhaps all pass the standard but some exceed - is there a reference statement for finishing standard. Every business has staff who exceed others.
Old 9 August 2018, 06:10 PM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Yeah that was me. Missing minute marker.
Old 9 August 2018, 07:01 PM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Yeah that was me. Missing minute marker.
i knew i wasn't mis remembering
Old 9 August 2018, 07:59 PM   #26
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Patek in their website clearly shows with video that they finish the edge with a machine tool, we have been on this before. When do they start doing this? I am not sure but if you google older Patek movements, they have wide convex beveling which you do not see anymore on any modern Patek, including the GCs. Nowadays they look like a straight polished edge.

But I think pretty much every one does this, one can only find those convex beveling on watches like Dufour or Credor Eichi. Technology improves, it wouldn’t surprise me if one day they create machine tools that could also do convex beveling.

But in the end craftsmanship doesn’t equal to value. A Platinum Credor Eichi II (or GS 8 days for that matter) with far superior finishing is now worth less than a 5711.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9E80EC84-FAE6-4EEE-8991-7A6C55CE042A.jpeg (197.5 KB, 1697 views)
File Type: jpeg 0961FD89-9DA5-4167-92A3-32CEBEB9A52D.jpeg (70.8 KB, 1703 views)
File Type: jpeg 68604DF1-7E88-4EE9-A1FD-F5B642432DB9.jpeg (252.8 KB, 1695 views)
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 09:18 PM   #27
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post

Marketed being the key word... some could argue that adopting the Patek seal over Geneva seal was simply to allow them to more easily hide true production numbers...

That being said Not sure why one would be too concerned with the finishing of a mass produced sports watch. Best.

Old 9 August 2018, 09:35 PM   #28
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

I've been reading the requirements of both seals. Interesting that the Patek requirements, though overall broader and more strinngent, are more vague when comes to polishing bridges--edges must be chamfered and polished. However, the Geneva requirements specify that all signs of machine tooling must be removed. If I'm reading this distinction correctly, it might allow for the more poorly finished chamfers/bevels shown above.

That said, it's just armchair speculation.

Moreover, these are industrially made goods. Not only is the distinction between hand vs. machine finishing blurred, but perhaps not relevant. What should matter is the outcome. I see nothing wrong with first using a motorized wheel to bevel an edge before polishing by "hand" to provide the final detailing. However, I do agree some of the above photos show that this final detailing stage is being skipped or handled poorly in some instances.

On Credor / GS "value" vs. Patek . . . well, keep in mind finishing quality is only one aspect of what makes for a fine watch. In my opinion, at a certain level, the finer differences in finishing quality between two makes really shouldn't be a deciding factor.
mafoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 10:09 PM   #29
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
I've been reading the requirements of both seals. Interesting that the Patek requirements, though overall broader and more strinngent, are more vague when comes to polishing bridges--edges must be chamfered and polished. However, the Geneva requirements specify that all signs of machine tooling must be removed. If I'm reading this distinction correctly, it might allow for the more poorly finished chamfers/bevels shown above.

That said, it's just armchair speculation.

Moreover, these are industrially made goods. Not only is the distinction between hand vs. machine finishing blurred, but perhaps not relevant. What should matter is the outcome. I see nothing wrong with first using a motorized wheel to bevel an edge before polishing by "hand" to provide the final detailing. However, I do agree some of the above photos show that this final detailing stage is being skipped or handled poorly in some instances.

On Credor / GS "value" vs. Patek . . . well, keep in mind finishing quality is only one aspect of what makes for a fine watch. In my opinion, at a certain level, the finer differences in finishing quality between two makes really shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Correct me if I’m wrong but Patek seal requirements are made up by Patek itself and Geneva seal requirements are actual objective criteria created by a third party.... how can one even compare?

Old 9 August 2018, 11:27 PM   #30
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Marketed being the key word... some could argue that adopting the Patek seal over Geneva seal was simply to allow them to more easily hide true production numbers...
Or other factors. This is not the first thread online about the diminishing quality of movement finishing work on Pateks in recent years (since changing to their own marketing scheme).

Quote:
That being said Not sure why one would be too concerned with the finishing of a mass produced sports watch.
It's the Patek market, which is different than other brands as far as wanting 'perfection in all aspects'. Considering the price of Pateks...

Some personal feelings / thoughts after decades of Patek...
Personally, left the Patek market years back as the current craftsmanship, long service times, etc seem to have greatly diminished their perceived value in my eyes. This has nothing to do with which watch gains or loses in value, as i wear 'em. It is in regard to actual product craft and service, which Patek was once known as one of the best in the world. Not so much today.

There are some truly incredible timepieces by both 'major' brands and independents. If anything, Patek is falling far behind the curve as check out the incredible and innovative movements / complications available today in general. Patek, in my eyes, is now too 'old school' and their movements are now mainly their mainsteam Patek-type and slap on a few bits and bobs to add-on this or that additional complication. Like car manufacturers, it's easy to have a couple base platforms you build a car upon. So financially it makes sense, yet leaves behind a true dedicated and efficient 'single purpose' movement, (since this is TRF) i.e. Rolex Sky-Dweller with it's innovative bezel control... plus as you travel you can set it both fwd and backward. Real-world use and all that.

Yes Patek can make some incredible highly complicated watches with a true dedicated movement, yet those are very rare and quite limited. IMHO this is perhaps the only Pateks truly worth considering today (forgetting long service times) from a horologically interesting POV. Hopefully hand finishing is better on these models.

JMHO YMMV
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote