The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 August 2018, 02:16 PM   #1
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
PP 5164a - thoughts?

My AD called and offered a 5164a.

I absolutely love the simplicity and functionality of the model and wanted to get any input from current owners as I haven’t yet tried one on.

Any impressions, what do you like/dislike would be greatly welcomed.

Here’s a pic to start the conv..

VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 02:20 PM   #2
Solicitor
"TRF" Member

Nothing to dislike except its price tag!

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
Solicitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 05:31 PM   #3
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Fantastic watch:

- Beautiful gradient dial that changes colour depending on the light (it looks much better in real life than on photos!)
- The globe-in-globe design is aesthetically pleasing and the date-by-hand has a lot of Patek DNA
- Very well proportioned with a bit more heft than the 5167 (wears larger than my 5712)
- Practical due to rubber strap and steel case, the closest you get to a tool watch with Patek (but still not Rolex level of toughness, the bezel will scratch a bit over time if you use it as a daily wearer)
- Second timezone is one of the most useful complications (if you travel) and I like how the second hour hand is hidden when not in use
- Still much more "under the radar" than a Rolex but will solicit positive comments from people "in-the-know"
- Seems to be a "rising star" now that the 5167 is so hard to get at retail

Only downside I can think off (other than price) is that the rubber strap is not adjustable, so I have a winter and a summer strap and have the salon switch these for me every spring and autumn.

MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 08:26 PM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It's a wonderful piece Alex, and my fave SS watch of all. Has a nice contrast to my RG 44 as well, the transfer from one to the other is a bit shocking at first but I soon get used to it.

AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 10:08 PM   #5
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Full speed ahead
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 10:57 PM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Great watch, especially if you travel across different time zones.

Thierry Stern used to wear the watch regularly.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 12:25 AM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
It’s prob my favorite watch alongside my 116500 black. I can think of no issues with it to be honest. Just perfect.
Old 12 August 2018, 12:56 AM   #8
turborolex
"TRF" Member

PP 5164a - thoughts?

I guess I’m going to be the dissenter....

I wouldn’t pay that price tag for the 5164A as I don’t see it as a true sports watch, so I wouldn’t wear it like a sports watch and it’s definitely not a dress watch in my eyes. I’m not sure where I would fit it in with my lifestyle.

That being said, I’ve seen it and tried it on, it’s light, excellent lume and is finished like a Patek should be, but I could not get myself to pay MSRP for it when I have other options that work better for me.

So I guess my advice would be to see if it works for you and you will actually wear it. I’m not a believer in safe queens as I wear all my watches and enjoy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 August 2018, 04:01 AM   #9
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
What not to like........ Get it before it gone....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 04:28 AM   #10
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

My first and only PP to this point and I absolutely love it. I have a hard time wearing my others now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 05:03 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
I guess I’m going to be the dissenter....

I wouldn’t pay that price tag for the 5164A as I don’t see it as a true sports watch, so I wouldn’t wear it like a sports watch and it’s definitely not a dress watch in my eyes. I’m not sure where I would fit it in with my lifestyle.

That being said, I’ve seen it and tried it on, it’s light, excellent lume and is finished like a Patek should be, but I could not get myself to pay MSRP for it when I have other options that work better for me.

So I guess my advice would be to see if it works for you and you will actually wear it. I’m not a believer in safe queens as I wear all my watches and enjoy them.

It's def a sports watch no two ways about it.
Old 12 August 2018, 05:17 AM   #12
turborolex
"TRF" Member

PP 5164a - thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It's def a sports watch no two ways about it.

I agree with you that it’s considered a sports watch, but for me, I don’t see it as a true sports watch for various reasons. One of the reasons is the lack of strap adjustability, which in my opinion is a must in a true sports watch.

I guess it depends on what you expect from a sports watch.

Old 12 August 2018, 05:23 AM   #13
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Great watch! Hour correctors are a little twitchy at times.
Old 12 August 2018, 05:40 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I agree with you that it’s considered a sports watch, but for me, I don’t see it as a true sports watch for various reasons. One of the reasons is the lack of strap adjustability, which in my opinion is a must in a true sports watch.

Fair point with the strap, altho being rubber rather than leather is far more important to me for anything slightly athletic.
Old 12 August 2018, 06:12 AM   #15
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Only a handful of watches have SS bracelet / strap adjustability. Don't tell me you consider 'leather straps' as sports.

Now, I agree, I wish all watches came with the modern sub's clasp. It would be an amazing addition to the Aquanaut clasp/bracelet and also to all Nautilus.

With that said, the Aquanaut, in my experience is the MOST comfortable watch ever (Of course, at this level). I have not worn a 5164, but I am talking from owning a 5167.

In my opinion it is completely unrivaled in terms of comfort. Just don't cut the strap too tight. Cut it a bit loose, and then adjust as needed. Thing is, since the case is so light weight, even a lose strap will work just fine. Unlike a modern rolex, which will roll around your wrist due to its heavy case. The 5164/5167 on the rubber strap will not.

Yes, its 100 times more comfortable than any modern rolex. Case-size, weight, etc. After trying this level of comfort, I got rid of all my Rolex. Also, I think its more comfortable than even the 5711/5712 Nautilus.

To me, its my favorite watch, even with the 5712 next to it.

Watch this video, it explains the Aquanaut pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNkTmYRyTb0

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 07:04 AM   #16
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
Only a handful of watches have SS bracelet / strap adjustability. Don't tell me you consider 'leather straps' as sports.

Now, I agree, I wish all watches came with the modern sub's clasp. It would be an amazing addition to the Aquanaut clasp/bracelet and also to all Nautilus.

With that said, the Aquanaut, in my experience is the MOST comfortable watch ever (Of course, at this level). I have not worn a 5164, but I am talking from owning a 5167.

In my opinion it is completely unrivaled in terms of comfort. Just don't cut the strap too tight. Cut it a bit loose, and then adjust as needed. Thing is, since the case is so light weight, even a lose strap will work just fine. Unlike a modern rolex, which will roll around your wrist due to its heavy case. The 5164/5167 on the rubber strap will not.

Yes, its 100 times more comfortable than any modern rolex. Case-size, weight, etc. After trying this level of comfort, I got rid of all my Rolex. Also, I think its more comfortable than even the 5711/5712 Nautilus.

To me, its my favorite watch, even with the 5712 next to it.

Watch this video, it explains the Aquanaut pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNkTmYRyTb0

Like I stated earlier, it’s a nice watch, but at that price point with a non adjustable rubber strap, it fails to meet my definition of a sports watch.

It looks like others buy two straps, one for summer/winter and make it work by going to AD to switch.

If that’s what the OP wants to do as a workaround, that’s fine, but not for me.

I’m glad you’re enjoying your 5167.

Old 12 August 2018, 07:44 AM   #17
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I think it’s a fantastic looking watch! Go for it
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 12:09 PM   #18
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

get it before they become less available and/or prices start creeping up.
i believe these two factors are inevitable.
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 12:44 PM   #19
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Subjectively, I think the Patek travel time function is the best in the business. It is very easy and intuitive to use, and it allows the second hour hand to be hidden if not in use. These, along with the relative slimness of the case, are the pros.

On the cons, I personally do not like the "emptiness" inside the date subdial. The embossed pattern in the said subdial is also not in sync with the pattern in the main dial. To me, it doesn't feel "connected" in terms of overall congruence. I think it could be better if there is a moonphase to cover up the existing subdial. Of course above is just my personal preference and opinion.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of watches with rubber strap.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 01:32 PM   #20
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

It’s a superb watch, a favorite of mine as well
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 04:46 PM   #21
Karbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dayto/5164
This watch is the perfect « all in watch » and my fav watchtoo
Karbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 05:29 PM   #22
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Go for it. My only criticism is the rubber strap so rigid and feels like a Tyre around my wrist. But other than that perfect watch
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 06:09 PM   #23
Hermann
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbo View Post
This watch is the perfect « all in watch » and my fav watchtoo
I have actually the 5167A but I will change into the 5164A because this watch has more beautiful details!
- better case proportions
- better case size
- no date @3 o clock
- more beautiful dial with the date @ 6
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 06:28 PM   #24
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Its not a tool watch, its a sports watch. IMO that means its more casual than a dress watch and nothing more. You wouldn't wear a sports jacket to pay tennis in would you because it has the word sport in it?

IMO its the best pure travel watch there is. Causal, low key, comfortable, and travel time.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 06:31 PM   #25
Hermann
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Its not a tool watch, its a sports watch. IMO that means its more casual than a dress watch and nothing more. You wouldn't wear a sports jacket to pay tennis in would you because it has the word sport in it?

IMO its the best pure travel watch there is. Causal, low key, comfortable, and travel time.
I agree 100%
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 06:33 PM   #26
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
Go for it. My only criticism is the rubber strap so rigid and feels like a Tyre around my wrist. But other than that perfect watch
i like the strap, but yeah its stiff but not uncomfortably so. Compared to oysterflex which is way, way softer and way more flexible which is weird because it has metal bands in it and isnt even only rubber.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 08:36 PM   #27
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Subjectively, I think the Patek travel time function is the best in the business. It is very easy and intuitive to use, and it allows the second hour hand to be hidden if not in use. These, along with the relative slimness of the case, are the pros.

On the cons, I personally do not like the "emptiness" inside the date subdial. The embossed pattern in the said subdial is also not in sync with the pattern in the main dial. To me, it doesn't feel "connected" in terms of overall congruence. I think it could be better if there is a moonphase to cover up the existing subdial. Of course above is just my personal preference and opinion.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of watches with rubber strap.
That is a strange criticism, I really like the globe within a globe dial motif that also runs thru the strap so there is nice coordinated global time theme to the whole watch. If the subdial was just empty and black then I would more agree with your point.
Old 12 August 2018, 09:03 PM   #28
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
That is a strange criticism, I really like the globe within a globe dial motif that also runs thru the strap so there is nice coordinated global time theme to the whole watch. If the subdial was just empty and black then I would more agree with your point.
I like the globe within a globe dial motif too. I think they should have done the same with 5968A.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 09:11 PM   #29
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
To each his own.

I would have preferred a date aperture instead of the current date dial with a different pattern within (otherwise a moonphase would be great too). That will be a "cleaner" solution for me, and I find date sub-dial harder to read.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 09:29 PM   #30
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

Is the 5164 worth such a hefty premium over the 5167? £14,510 vs £26,050 in the UK. Both seem to be lovely watches, but do owners think it's worth it to have the 5164?
SilverFoxUK is offline   Reply With Quote