The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 August 2018, 06:10 AM   #1
ragsk
Banned

26579ce

What do you guys think of this watch?

I know its a rare piece but I have been offered it for a 25% premium from the list price.

I have been thinking about getting a perpetual next year - my preference is to get a rose gold one with blue dial (26574OR) from the AP boutique but this one was offered to me unsolicited by a grey dealer.

This would likely be in addition to the Rose. I am never keen on buying from a grey dealer so am inclined to decline but would like to get forum members thoughts first.

I like the look of the watch and its current exclusivity etc but my concerns are :

1. Paying a premium which is too high and will evaporate with time
2. How wearable will a full black ceramic watch be? Will it look tacky?
3. I already have a ceramic ROO but with rubber strap - so its a bit duplicative

Thank you
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 06:58 AM   #2
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
What do you guys think of this watch?

I know its a rare piece but I have been offered it for a 25% premium from the list price.

I have been thinking about getting a perpetual next year - my preference is to get a rose gold one with blue dial (26574OR) from the AP boutique but this one was offered to me unsolicited by a grey dealer.

This would likely be in addition to the Rose. I am never keen on buying from a grey dealer so am inclined to decline but would like to get forum members thoughts first.

I like the look of the watch and its current exclusivity etc but my concerns are :

1. Paying a premium which is too high and will evaporate with time
2. How wearable will a full black ceramic watch be? Will it look tacky?
3. I already have a ceramic ROO but with rubber strap - so its a bit duplicative

Thank you

I can’t really give you any real advice, but I can say that that is one incredible watch. It is definitely one of my favorites! If you do get it please make sure to share lots of photos!
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 06:58 AM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
The watch is stunning but I wouldn’t pay 25% over.........to what, £100k? Crazy! It’s hot right now because it’s the latest thing but AP are in the business of bringing out stunning watches so there’ll be something else hot before long. Also you’re building you’re own strong relationship with APUK so there’s every chance you’ll get offered these special pieces on your own merit and at retail price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 07:02 AM   #4
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
I would buy in a heartbeat at 25% over sticker
One of the best AP’s ever made IMO.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 07:06 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think it's a fine and unique watch, for around £100-5K that looks like a good price today and I don't see much downwards pressure on this esp with current AP tight strategy, altho the new Nautilus PC and maybe a future chrono all CE could take buyers away and make it a harder sell in future.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 07:07 AM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
An amazing piece but feels overpriced when AP prices their own ceramic offshores only a few thousand more than ti or steel and then charges double for it on this.

Even with that it’s one of the hottest watches on the planet and if I could afford it easily I’d be very tempted!
Old 13 August 2018, 07:09 AM   #7
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

At the very least, perhaps you should take the opportunity to view the piece (and then to share your informed thoughts (and detailed pictures) on it with the forum, please!)
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 07:18 AM   #8
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
The watch is stunning but I wouldn’t pay 25% over.........to what, £100k? Crazy! It’s hot right now because it’s the latest thing but AP are in the business of bringing out stunning watches so there’ll be something else hot before long. Also you’re building you’re own strong relationship with APUK so there’s every chance you’ll get offered these special pieces on your own merit and at retail price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes good points. This isn't a limited edition piece so will still be around in a year or two hopefully. Or something else new and desirable will turn up. I have been very impressed by APUK.
Old 13 August 2018, 07:19 AM   #9
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
At the very least, perhaps you should take the opportunity to view the piece (and then to share your informed thoughts (and detailed pictures) on it with the forum, please!)
Unfortunately the dealer isn't local at all. So I will be buying unseen or will have to take a short flight into EU land to take a look. I was actually asking him about another watch when he came up with this.
Old 13 August 2018, 07:25 AM   #10
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think it's a fine and unique watch, for around £100-5K that looks like a good price today and I don't see much downwards pressure on this esp with current AP tight strategy, altho the new Nautilus PC and maybe a future chrono all CE could take buyers away and make it a harder sell in future.
Neil - I am mostly a fan of the Nautilus as a straight time and date model. I just feel the dial isn't big enough for a significant complication. I know I am in the minority on this. Plus I have a white 5711 and my Rose gold version should arrive soon too. I am also waitlisted on the blue one but thats just an old deposit which I havent cancelled. I don't think i will buy another Nautilus soon.

A ROC all CE does sound interesting - and will likely be well cheaper! Probably in my dreams only :-)
Old 13 August 2018, 07:31 AM   #11
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
An amazing piece but feels overpriced when AP prices their own ceramic offshores only a few thousand more than ti or steel and then charges double for it on this.

Even with that it’s one of the hottest watches on the planet and if I could afford it easily I’d be very tempted!
Didnt think of it like that. But true. The ROO 44mm CE is only slightly more expensive than the Ti.

This at list is like 60% more than the steel. Could be as the bracelet is crazy complicated to make and finish in ceramic? Still a big difference though.
Old 13 August 2018, 07:32 AM   #12
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
When I last check there was 4 in the UK for around £100k-£120k, official watches had two at one point.

It’s a very rare piece at retail but is available at a premium.

Is it worth the premium? Only you can decide that!

Also don’t get lost in the wanting and forget to take a step back, £100k puts you in the region of some really nice watches.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 08:04 AM   #13
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
When I last check there was 4 in the UK for around £100k-£120k, official watches had two at one point.

It’s a very rare piece at retail but is available at a premium.

Is it worth the premium? Only you can decide that!

Also don’t get lost in the wanting and forget to take a step back, £100k puts you in the region of some really nice watches.
Yep i probably need to hit the brakes for a bit.

I think i'm going to skip and take my sweet time on things. Its a lot of money. I also prefer to buy from an AD or manufacturer boutique.
Old 13 August 2018, 09:57 AM   #14
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

I tried it on last year. It photographs much better than it wears. I would pass and not look back.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 06:23 PM   #15
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
I tried it on last year. It photographs much better than it wears. I would pass and not look back.
I would certainly appreciate any additional thoughts you can share.
Old 13 August 2018, 06:50 PM   #16
APAP
"TRF" Member

I'd buy one only @ retails. Haven't seen it irl but looks spectacular in photos.

Quote:
I'd be also interested in more details.
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 07:30 PM   #17
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Can’t echo that exactly but can agree it does look better in photos then it does IRL, it’s still in my top 3 current models but really want to see the Pt PC that’s just been released as that might take the title!

My impression is unless it’s under strong lighting it looses any contrast so looks very flat and black! Plus the dial gets a little lost.

But under good lighting it comes to life the mixed finishing on the ceramic makes it look spectacular
Old 13 August 2018, 08:07 PM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Neil - I am mostly a fan of the Nautilus as a straight time and date model. I just feel the dial isn't big enough for a significant complication. I know I am in the minority on this. Plus I have a white 5711 and my Rose gold version should arrive soon too. I am also waitlisted on the blue one but thats just an old deposit which I havent cancelled. I don't think i will buy another Nautilus soon.

A ROC all CE does sound interesting - and will likely be well cheaper! Probably in my dreams only :-)
I also thought the PC might be too busy for the 40mm but when I tried it on, it felt alright so I think demand will still be very high when buyers see this in the flesh. But yes as you have others coming in might be better to wait on the RO CE and try to get it at retail on a list, and I'd rather have 2 Nauts and this RO than 3 Nauts.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 08:25 PM   #19
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Can’t echo that exactly but can agree it does look better in photos then it does IRL, it’s still in my top 3 current models but really want to see the Pt PC that’s just been released as that might take the title!

My impression is unless it’s under strong lighting it looses any contrast so looks very flat and black! Plus the dial gets a little lost.

But under good lighting it comes to life the mixed finishing on the ceramic makes it look spectacular
Could you comment on how the piece feels and weighs please Sam? Does it feel unduly 'plasticy' and light?

It's interesting to hear that it looks rather flat black under normal lighting.
Old 13 August 2018, 08:31 PM   #20
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Only you can determine if the 25% over retail is worth it. I would look at the total amount to be spent and see if there would be other watch in the same range I would prefer that would not cost over retail.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 08:44 PM   #21
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Would be great to see some pics of this one that aren’t advertising photos if anyone has some.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 09:13 PM   #22
SC11
Banned

26579ce

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
Could you comment on how the piece feels and weighs please Sam? Does it feel unduly 'plasticy' and light?

It's interesting to hear that it looks rather flat black under normal lighting.

Didn't get to try it on as it was on an owner wrist at an AP meet, he commented on my 15407 so we got talking, didn’t feel right to ask to try it on hence no pictures!

I believe it weights around the same as the Daytona (Ce PC 130g Daytona 140g) and since the Aquanaut is only 80g I wouldn’t expect it to feel plastic light!

I’ll try and show with pictures I’ve quicky found online, hope it demonstrates unless it’s under certain lighting it can look flat, but catch the lighting right and it looks amazing!

Happy to say I’d keep my 15407 over one, but wouldn’t say no to adding one down the road.

Trying to show how I mean about looking flat

How the dial can be lost against the case

But then get the light to catch the ceramic and boom that finish is awesome...

Old 14 August 2018, 08:36 AM   #23
ragsk
Banned

I have passed. Have mixed feelings about the watch and at this price point I have to be 100%

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Appreciate the advice.
Old 14 August 2018, 09:31 AM   #24
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Great watch in any finish but to pay such a premium for an aesthetic that may get old fast is a tough call. Really comes down to what you think about it since you'll be wearing it. Either way good luck!
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 10:24 AM   #25
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Since some asked - the ceramic has a bit of a brittle and cheap look on. It’s light and comfortable, but I’d like a 100k watch to more or less look and feel like one, and the bracelet just did not do much for me. I’ll try to dig up the picture I took.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 06:21 PM   #26
SC11
Banned

I’d love to see a ceramic ROC
Old 14 August 2018, 06:44 PM   #27
ragsk
Banned

Good points around going out of fashion and the all ceramic not making it look like a £100k watch.

Pass for sure. Official list price will cause me to rethink (if miracles do happen) as I can try it for a few months and if I don’t like it, I will get most if not all of my money back.
Old 9 September 2018, 02:10 AM   #28
ragsk
Banned

Im an idiot. I should have bought it....

Next time i'm so dumb, someone please shoot me.
Old 9 September 2018, 03:02 AM   #29
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Im an idiot. I should have bought it....

Next time i'm so dumb, someone please shoot me.

Why the change of opinion? You seemed quite sure that not buying it was the right move?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 03:24 AM   #30
ragsk
Banned

I tried on this other full ceramic AP watch. The bracelet and case were stunning and the finishing was awesome. Undeniably wow factor looks.