The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 September 2021, 10:24 PM   #31
Becweb
Banned

Crazy world indeed. MSRP indicates roughly what the value of the watch should be, with profit already factored in - why the hell would someone pay THAT MUCH MORE.
The old knowledge for Rolex for instance, was that ADs were getting the watches at 60% of MSRP on average - how foolish can someone be to spend 3-4 times that MSRP amount on something that is not unique, limited or special in any way. No offense to those who do but how FOMO can these people be...
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 07:58 AM   #32
djnick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becweb View Post
Crazy world indeed. MSRP indicates roughly what the value of the watch should be, with profit already factored in - why the hell would someone pay THAT MUCH MORE.
The old knowledge for Rolex for instance, was that ADs were getting the watches at 60% of MSRP on average - how foolish can someone be to spend 3-4 times that MSRP amount on something that is not unique, limited or special in any way. No offense to those who do but how FOMO can these people be...
the days of buying watches objectively are over
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 08:03 PM   #33
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
whether its because you could acquire it at retail, or wealthy enough to buy it on the secondary market.
It will cost the same.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 08:27 PM   #34
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Last edited by liljctl; 1 October 2021 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Duplicate
Old 1 October 2021, 08:49 PM   #35
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljctl View Post
It will cost the same.

Not really... for example the 5167 SG edition, 6007 and even the 5711 (green dial) are not available to most people....I'm sure some people with decent purchase history still could not get them. Getting those LE need more than purchase history sometimes. I asked for a 6007 and was flatly turned down
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 09:21 PM   #36
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not really... for example the 5167 SG edition, 6007 and even the 5711 (green dial) are not available to most people....I'm sure some people with decent purchase history still could not get them. Getting those LE need more than purchase history sometimes. I asked for a 6007 and was flatly turned down
Just over a year ago, my friend was offered the Singapore edition 5167 after buying no more than a 5227j and a Twenty-4. He turned it down in favour of the regular 5167a. Not sure about now, but it doesn’t seem that hard to get.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 09:50 PM   #37
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think with those watches; those with massive spending history - top of the chain and wanted one would have been guaranteed one but not all the LEs would have gone to one of them.

They would have spent a lot, consistently and over a long period of time. Which might mean a few grand complications that now sell for half their list price.

Say we ignore the LEs and say an AD offering a 5167 if bundled with a 5270j(hopefully bought on the same day).

In both scenarios buying only the desired watch from a reseller or taking a hit with an AD bundle would cost roughly the same.

Old 1 October 2021, 09:56 PM   #38
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrira View Post
Just over a year ago, my friend was offered the Singapore edition 5167 after buying no more than a 5227j and a Twenty-4. He turned it down in favour of the regular 5167a. Not sure about now, but it doesn’t seem that hard to get.
I have a post somewhere with a rough breakdown and theory on why the 5167 SG edition was a relatively easy watch to get.

Can't seem to find it now. But basically if you divided the total number of aquanauts by the number of ADs in South East Asia with weightage given to Singapore it came up to 20 watches /AD develiered over a period of 6 months. I can't remember the exact number now but it was a large figure.

That's a lot of 5167 in a short period of time.

Old 1 October 2021, 09:56 PM   #39
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
There were 500 red Aquanauts allocated across 24 Southeast Asian AD. Each store got approximately 20 pieces. While it is definitely not as difficult as the green 5711 and 6007 per AD, it is not easy too. I have several local friends (one of them is a lurker here) who did not get 1 although they have more than the equivalent of 1 5227 and 1 24. Maybe it is country specific but I'm not sure on that one.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 09:58 PM   #40
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
There were 500 red Aquanauts allocated across 24 Southeast Asian AD. Each store got approximately 20 pieces. While it is definitely not as difficult as the green 5711 and 6007 per AD, it is not easy too. I have several local friends (one of them is a lurker here) who did not get 1 although they have more than the equivalent of 1 5227 and 1 24. Maybe it is country specific but I'm not sure on that one.
I think that post I was referring to above was a respond to Mike.

I said something like he will get one fosu and listed those figures down.

Old 1 October 2021, 10:01 PM   #41
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljctl View Post
I think that post I was referring to above was a respond to Mike.

I said something like he will get one fosu and listed those figures down.

I vaguely remember the 2019 post. It is moot now because the watch is now 200k thereabouts.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 10:04 PM   #42
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
my experience is that not every store gets the equal number of 5167 SG version. My expenditure back then was certainly above 5227+twenty-four, but still my AD can't find one for me.
huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 10:22 PM   #43
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Give me the 5940 everyday…..this is stupid lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:17 AM   #44
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

When I do not understand the price, I know that I am not the target.
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 08:12 PM   #45
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsgq View Post
It's called the mimic effect. People want what other people want. This catches on like wildfire. Once a desired watch is acquired, the person feels as if they've joined an exclusive club. Repeat this indefinitely and all of a sudden it makes sense why prices are where they are.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Up to a certain point i think. The exclusive club will soon be overcrowded and not exclusive anymore. I can see this happening with Rolex and AP in the near future. Patek was wise to limit the SS models.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 08:32 PM   #46
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnick View Post
the days of buying watches objectively are over
Sums it up.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 08:33 PM   #47
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No regrets, I hope.
Old 2 October 2021, 08:36 PM   #48
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Sums it up.
Yes. Unless you are worth so much a few hundred k is immaterial to you.

Old 2 October 2021, 08:57 PM   #49
HMHM
"TRF" Member

As long as you buy a watch that you enjoy wearing, you will always be a winner. There are many watches out there to pick, even if you have to bundle/build purchase history. Without you realising, the emotional bond you develop with watches may mean something to you later on, more than just materialistic gains.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 12:23 AM   #50
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Once something gets caught in the hype-insta-spiral then the sky's the limit.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 07:51 AM   #51
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Once something gets caught in the hype-insta-spiral then the sky's the limit.
Indeed.

Watches are like the latest crypto altcoin now.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 11:37 AM   #52
Ba Ba
"TRF" Member

Another example:

5712 vs 5270

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ba Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 07:31 PM   #53
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba Ba View Post
Another example:

5712 vs 5270

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't get it, equally useless functions, ubiquitous across most brands, one has $2000 of gold, one more durable than the other. They should be the same price.
Old 12 October 2021, 01:00 AM   #54
bob101
"TRF" Member

Not so keen on the first 5270g without the tachymeter but I’d take a 5270 every time over a 5712/1a… if anyone wants to swap their 5270P or R for mine let me know lol
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 05:06 AM   #55
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I don't get it, equally useless functions,
I do not believe in bad mood during full moon, but my Italian mother does. So this moon phase function tells me when it is safe to call her... Life and drama saving!
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 07:43 PM   #56
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuelleHeureEstIl View Post
I do not believe in bad mood during full moon, but my Italian mother does. So this moon phase function tells me when it is safe to call her... Life and drama saving!
Thank you! That's exactly my point. Since they both have a MoonPhase function you'd be equally well served by either one. It makes sense, therefore, that they would be the same price, it's just a matter of deciding whether gold or stainless fits your lifestyle better.
Don't forget to call your mother, when the time is right.
Old 12 October 2021, 10:16 PM   #57
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteCreekCir View Post
To understand why people paid $700,000 for a bottle of whisky or a simple watch, you have to understand how things work in Asia, especially Hong Kong, China, Vietnam…etc. Let’s just say that I need a permit to build a 2 billion dollars skyscraper. I know that I need to grease some doors to get the permit faster, you know…skip the line. So how do you skip the line at Disneyland? You pay for a VIP pass. How do you bribe a city official? I will give you my Patek Tiffany Nautilus 40th Anniversary or a bottle of Macallan 72 Lalique, you or your family member will put it on an auction. I will attend the auction and bid to buy the watch or the whisky bottle back. So you receive money from selling your “personal items” at an auction. No auditor will trace the ownership of a watch or a bottle of whisky. And if the auditor gives you a really hard time then he wants to be bribed too. At this point, it gets easier.
Thank you for explaining how the works works. Naive tubes like me think fair play is still a thing
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote