The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 July 2021, 08:31 PM   #1
Melissaw1010
"TRF" Member

Taking a hit

If any of you have resold your Breitling how long did you hold onto it before deciding to take a loss? I purchase a new Galactic diamond mop 36 approx 6 months ago from my AD and it’s beautiful however since then I got a Rolex 36 Datejust mop that I decided will be my daily watch and have others for a my sporty watch.

I hate to hold onto a watch I prob won’t wear as much now. I got an offer from a popular online place that I’ve purchased from in the past (not sure if I’m allowed to mention who they are) that gave a consignment price which isn’t too bad and they take a 15% cut but I would still lose approx $2k which is a big hit in just a few months. Is it better to take the hit now and move on ?

I did submit it to Breitling on their website for a trade quote and the offer was so horrible. Just hate having a watch sit not bring worn….
Melissaw1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 10:25 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Such is the watch trading and flipping. I have been at it a long time and I have learned the lesson you just did. Shop the watch you are going to buy through various sources to see what it will be worth once you decide to move it on. You may still buy the watch but you will not get any surprises when it is time to let it go. I would not consign a watch as it drags on the process and the pain. In the end the consigner may not be able to move it and you are back to square one. Find the watch you want through a reputable dealer and trade your watch and eat the difference. You will be done with the experience and have a new watch to console you. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 10:35 PM   #3
Melissaw1010
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much. Great advice. I was also thinking about how long consignment would take as well. Def learned my lesson but at least now I know.
Old 18 July 2021, 11:31 PM   #4
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
As a flipper of many watches of different brands I agree with William, it’s just part of the game. Sell it the best you can and move on. Looking back does no good.

By the way. Your Breitling is very nice. A month ago I purchased a 36mm Chronomat, light green dial. Diamond bezel. The bezel is workable and that’s what sold me. The Rouleaux bracelet is wonderful.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 12:00 AM   #5
Melissaw1010
"TRF" Member

Thank you ! I love the green one, I almost purchased that one too. Such a pretty unique color! I’m sure you get many compliments
Old 22 July 2021, 07:13 AM   #6
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Such is the watch trading and flipping. I have been at it a long time and I have learned the lesson you just did. Shop the watch you are going to buy through various sources to see what it will be worth once you decide to move it on. You may still buy the watch but you will not get any surprises when it is time to let it go. I would not consign a watch as it drags on the process and the pain. In the end the consigner may not be able to move it and you are back to square one. Find the watch you want through a reputable dealer and trade your watch and eat the difference. You will be done with the experience and have a new watch to console you. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

This is some of the best advice I've read on TRF. Spot on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 12:57 PM   #7
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissaw1010 View Post
If any of you have resold your Breitling how long did you hold onto it before deciding to take a loss? I purchase a new Galactic diamond mop 36 approx 6 months ago from my AD and it’s beautiful however since then I got a Rolex 36 Datejust mop that I decided will be my daily watch and have others for a my sporty watch.

I hate to hold onto a watch I prob won’t wear as much now. I got an offer from a popular online place that I’ve purchased from in the past (not sure if I’m allowed to mention who they are) that gave a consignment price which isn’t too bad and they take a 15% cut but I would still lose approx $2k which is a big hit in just a few months. Is it better to take the hit now and move on ?

I did submit it to Breitling on their website for a trade quote and the offer was so horrible. Just hate having a watch sit not bring worn….
Wait. You can resell to Breitling? And they lowball on their own watches?
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 10:27 PM   #8
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:

Sound advice, I do the same as well
RW16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 02:42 AM   #9
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
…Find the watch you want through a reputable dealer and trade your watch and eat the difference. You will be done with the experience and have a new watch to console you.
Great advice, and well worded.

Personally, I’ve never sold a Breitling. Sometimes I like having watches with no value on the secondary market, it forces me to relax and enjoy a watch forever instead of always buying, selling and trading. (This doesn’t apply to your situation, just a comment on watches and my habits in general.)
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 07:49 AM   #10
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
As a flipper of many watches of different brands I agree with William, it’s just part of the game. Sell it the best you can and move on. Looking back does no good.

By the way. Your Breitling is very nice. A month ago I purchased a 36mm Chronomat, light green dial. Diamond bezel. The bezel is workable and that’s what sold me. The Rouleaux bracelet is wonderful.
Now this I have to see a pic of…. It’s gorgeous I bet!! Congrats
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 06:44 AM   #11
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewill View Post
Wait. You can resell to Breitling? And they lowball on their own watches?
Yeah, such is the state of the brand. But it’s the same with every BMW or Audi you come across.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 10:20 AM   #12
pnwyankee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I recently had a similar experience with Breitling. Purchased a brand new Navitimer because I always admired the brand and obviously the Navitimer is a classic.
After two months of wearing it only around the house, just did not "bond" with the watch.
I had already cut off the little Breitling tag and was past the thirty day return window and Breitling completely blew me off when I reached out to them with my sad story
I listed it on the BreitlingSource forum at a $500 discount and never got a single bite. Just dropped it another $500 and still nothing

What is the message here? "Drive it off the lot" and the value falls off precipitously?
Would that happen with an Omega or Tudor?
Is the message only buy pre-owned Breitling?

Has anybody facing this situation attempted to write a letter to a top executive at the company? If I were in charge of Breitling USA, I would be interested in knowing that the message is, "never buy new!"

Does anybody know how to get an email address for their top execs?
pnwyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 06:12 AM   #13
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Not exactly what you are asking but I thought I’d share my experience of purchasing a new Breitling (Avenger Seawolf)

I bought it on the bracelet and just couldn’t get used to it. I think the fact the bracelet is quite broad and doesn’t taper made it feel more uncomfortable somehow.

I decided to buy a Breitling rubber strap with the adjustable clasp. The clasp itself is brilliant and makes it super easy to get the exact fit but I just couldn’t get used to the rubber feeling on the wrist. At that point I thought about selling it but I wasn’t keen on taking the hit.

After several years of the watch mostly gathering dust I switched it back to the bracelet and now absolutely love wearing the watch. No discomfort at all. Gets equal wrist time with my Rolex Sea-Dweller and Sub.

A long winded story to say that although you may not particularly like wearing the watch just now, you may easily change your mind in the future.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 08:27 AM   #14
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwyankee View Post
I recently had a similar experience with Breitling. Purchased a brand new Navitimer because I always admired the brand and obviously the Navitimer is a classic.
After two months of wearing it only around the house, just did not "bond" with the watch.
I had already cut off the little Breitling tag and was past the thirty day return window and Breitling completely blew me off when I reached out to them with my sad story
I listed it on the BreitlingSource forum at a $500 discount and never got a single bite. Just dropped it another $500 and still nothing

What is the message here? "Drive it off the lot" and the value falls off precipitously?

Has anybody facing this situation attempted to write a letter to a top executive at the company? If I were in charge of Breitling USA, I would be interested in knowing that the message is, "never buy new!"

Tudor sport models do fairly well as do certain popular Omega models. Not full retail but nothing like Breitling.

I recently had the same experience with a rather popular Breitling model. Bought it BNIB at 35% off and didn't bond with so I reached out to one of the sellers that I have used in the past and the estimate was another 25% less which left it around 40% of retail. It's just like driving a new Cadillac off the lot!!

It's unlikely that there will be any more Breitlings in the future for me!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 02:53 AM   #15
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Is it likely you lot will ever go out to a fancy restaurant, or buy expensive leather shoes?
If everything you buy has to 'keep value' how do you eat or buy the necessities in life?

I buy the watch that I like and admire. I buy to keep. And if I sell I find it normal to lose money.

Where are all those watch enthusiasts who used to be here? Only 'I want a watch for free' people are left on these forums. So sad.
Old 24 October 2021, 05:02 AM   #16
pnwyankee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
Is it likely you lot will ever go out to a fancy restaurant, or buy expensive leather shoes?
If everything you buy has to 'keep value' how do you eat or buy the necessities in life?

I buy the watch that I like and admire. I buy to keep. And if I sell I find it normal to lose money.

Where are all those watch enthusiasts who used to be here? Only 'I want a watch for free' people are left on these forums. So sad.
I feel like you are missing my point here.
It is not about buying a new watch and expecting it to hold 100% of it's value
What I am talking about here is buying a watch directly from a company representing itself as a top tier brand ( Breitling ), finding out ( shame on me ) that I made a bad purchase and finding out that all my options are terrible.
I don't think a truly top tier product should decrease in value by that much and that quickly.
Old 25 October 2021, 04:02 AM   #17
cfree011
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I feel like you are missing my point here.

It is not about buying a new watch and expecting it to hold 100% of it's value

What I am talking about here is buying a watch directly from a company representing itself as a top tier brand ( Breitling ), finding out ( shame on me ) that I made a bad purchase and finding out that all my options are terrible.

I don't think a truly top tier product should decrease in value by that much and that quickly.
I feel like this applies to all luxury brands (exclude Rolex from the equation).

If you buy brand new BMW or Mercedes, you will take a similar hit on resale as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Also other luxury watch brands also take hits as well, even high horology independents.

I think at the end of the day it's like anything else that you purchase. Make sure you do your research and make sure you really like the watch before purchasing. You would do the same thing if it were a luxury vehicle, jewelry, etc.

I don't understand why you think its a large problem for Breitling, however not an issue for Mercedes or BMW?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
cfree011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 06:22 AM   #18
docmfg
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Old 25 October 2021, 06:32 AM   #19
greeneyedguy
Banned

My suggestion is to sell a group of watches that sell at a loss to fund a watch that sells above MSRP. This way you come out slightly even and your collection has evolved into assets that appreciate.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 11:38 PM   #20
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would be fascinated in what you would write to Breitling regarding this?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 12:27 AM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Why?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 12:37 AM   #22
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Why?
This is another reason why Rolex, AP, Patek, and a few others dominate the market.

There is a perception (and a continually growing one) that watch brands (as a whole) that depreciate are essentially “junk”.

If it doesn’t hold value or appreciate in value, then it literally isn’t any good at all.

How can it possibly be top tier if it depreciates?

This is really an excellent thread. It truly illustrates market dynamics in terms of the impact value retention has.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 12:52 AM   #23
pnwyankee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfree011 View Post
I feel like this applies to all luxury brands (exclude Rolex from the equation).

If you buy brand new BMW or Mercedes, you will take a similar hit on resale as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Also other luxury watch brands also take hits as well, even high horology independents.

I think at the end of the day it's like anything else that you purchase. Make sure you do your research and make sure you really like the watch before purchasing. You would do the same thing if it were a luxury vehicle, jewelry, etc.

I don't understand why you think its a large problem for Breitling, however not an issue for Mercedes or BMW?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Because using the auto industry, considering it's history here in the US, as a benchmark for the luxury timepiece industry, sets a very low bar.

Next step for all of us as consumers will be when we start using the airline industry as our benchmark
Old 27 October 2021, 01:38 AM   #24
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I would be fascinated in what you would write to Breitling regarding this?
About 2 months ago my husband emailed Breitling in Swiss about this and asked that it be forwarded Georges Kern, who he has respect for. Receipt of email was acknowledged but that’s it so far.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 01:12 PM   #25
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
This is another reason why Rolex, AP, Patek, and a few others dominate the market.

There is a perception (and a continually growing one) that watch brands (as a whole) that depreciate are essentially “junk”.

If it doesn’t hold value or appreciate in value, then it literally isn’t any good at all.

This is really an excellent thread. It truly illustrates market dynamics in terms of the impact value retention has.
I agree. Examples like Breitling’s abysmal resale value should be a reminder to those cry babies on the Rolex side of the forum who constantly “demand” that Rolex ramp up production and flood the market with watches just so that they can pick one up at discount. I am very certain a good percentage of them would abandon their affections for Rolex real quick if the watch would lose 40% in value the moment it left the store.

Rolex is wise to exercise extreme discipline in its production strategy, instead of trying to cash in on the high demand like most shopping mall brands would do.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 04:37 AM   #26
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:

Viewed as junk and rightfully so in some instances. Case in point my daughter received a Chanel 29mm black diamond diamond dial J12 last Christmas. 8 months later she broke up with her boyfriend and naturally wanted to sell the watch. 6K new and couldn’t give it away. Two places I buy from(one a substantial amount)didn’t want it at any price the third place offered 1k only cause I’m a good customer.
My daughters are now Rolex fans.

The new Top Time line seems to being well The Deus stilling over list and the new Capsule models all listed well above retail with the Mustang version selling well above retail in a matter of days of being listed on C24.

Just goes to show make a well designed watch and have production discipline and your watches retain value.

Operate like Omega and you can even destroy a legend like the Speedmaster!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 07:49 AM   #27
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I have two Breitlings that I purchased a year or so ago. Avenger 43 and Superocean 42. Love both of the watches, and I know that despite buying at 25% discount, and no tax, I would take a loss if I sold them.

I love them for what they are. Not super high end, but great durable, reliable watches that I use at the beach or when I travel to places that I probably should not wear one of my Rolex or Cartier.

I would probably not buy a Breitling for 8K or more unless I was relatively sure it was a forever watch.

If you will lose that much, why not just keep the watch. You may love it again in the future. If not, give it to one of your children or a special person in your life.

Best of luck
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 03:34 PM   #28
Neom
Banned

Lessons learned - do your homework prior to purchasing a watch if value conservation is important to you, or don't purchase a LUXURY watch at all...
Neom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 05:03 AM   #29
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Breitling seems to not have a strong enough following and hence resale values are what they are. A quick glance at chrono24 can give you an idea of the discount relative MSRP. And then subtract $1000 off that if you were selling to a reseller.

Breitling hired someone key earlier this year. Maybe the company will be turned around….
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 06:08 AM   #30
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

It’s been well known for a looong time (well before this latest rise in demand) that most all of those brands below Rolex (and even some Rolex ref’s) are best bought aftermarket, much of the time at a very significant discount.

As others have pointed out, once you spend more than dozens of $$’s on something like a watch, it becomes jewelry and a luxury item that may or may not (likely not in the mid or even upper tier) retain significant value.

People often do the same with “fancy” cars, diamonds, and many other luxury goods thinking they’ll retain value which very few do.
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote