The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 August 2019, 12:23 PM   #61
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 116713LN
I think Basel 2020 releases will be a little dull. I think they have finished tinkering with the GMT line and turn to the Sub. Which will get the new movement plus a Rose Gold TT version.
Jackumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 01:25 PM   #62
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Agreed. And it's a dumb idea. Why homogenize the line and turn it into a GMT-Master II? The stainless steel bezel is one of the signature design cues of the reference. Changing that for the sake of throwing more ceramic around would be a mistake.

I can't get over how many times I see posts where people basically want to scale the Explorer II back down to 40mm and give it a ceramic bezel. It sounds like people just want a GMT-Master II with an orange hand.
Couldn’t agree more.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 01:30 PM   #63
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Agreed. And it's a dumb idea. Why homogenize the line and turn it into a GMT-Master II? The stainless steel bezel is one of the signature design cues of the reference. Changing that for the sake of throwing more ceramic around would be a mistake.

I can't get over how many times I see posts where people basically want to scale the Explorer II back down to 40mm and give it a ceramic bezel. It sounds like people just want a GMT-Master II with an orange hand.
I always think that too Evan. Everyone wants to change the Explorer II to the GMT. The stainless steel bezel is what separates it from everything else. That and the 42mm case.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 01:38 PM   #64
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post
I wonder how accurately Tim Mosso is able to predict new releases. He consistently claims there will be a Daytona redesign next year.
Why redesign something that is not obtainable. Maybe just an announcement they will double Daytona production.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 01:45 PM   #65
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlong View Post
New Coke is years away. They are going to ride the Pepsi and Batman wave as long as you they can. Why dilute the waters.
I think you’re right, in addition to that, to make a coke, they would have to develop a ceramic in a really striking red, which so far has only been done (and patented) by the good folks at Hublot (which found the formula by accident, as the story would have it). I don’t really see Rolex licensing in patents from Hublot, and considering the only ones who managed to do a stable and strong red ceramic so far got there by chance alone, it seems it would be a pretty hard thing for Rolex to do without using such patents.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 06:52 PM   #66
Clasper
"TRF" Member

I think most likely some ceramic bezels on other Daytonas such as TTs or Gold PMs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 06:56 PM   #67
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galveston22 View Post
Coke with jubilee
Sub with updated movement and PCLs

Doubt they’ll polish the links on a divers watch.

Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 07:17 PM   #68
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nm26 View Post
I have been doing some reading on the forum and looked back at everyone’s predictions for Basel 2019. I was surprised that a lot of the speculation proved to be somewhat accurate. I am interested in hearing everyones predictions for 2020. I have heard rumors about a new sub this upcoming year which would be awesome. I also read about the possibility of a new Coke which is super exciting in my opinion. I know this is just speculation and no one knows for certain besides Rolex, but wanted to open the floor for discussion. Thanks

Well if like Basel over the past 40 odd years you can count on one hand the real new watches released by Rolex.As most today are just cosmetically changed old ones, but today they only got to say change a colour bezel,change a bracelet,change a few screws and it becomes a new model to some.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 07:36 PM   #69
Shrek32
"TRF" Member

As a Milgaus owner would love to see the model discontinued, would make this unloved Rolex a much more desirable watch to own..
Shrek32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 08:40 PM   #70
Rosex
"TRF" Member

2020 will be a big year for the Explorer.

New Sub is almost a guarantee.

No new GMT, that will get a rest for a few years.

That's my 2c on 20/08/2019
Rosex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 08:53 PM   #71
Wildy
"TRF" Member

I could see them dropping the JC DSSD and replacing it with a green bezel/ dial.
Old 20 August 2019, 09:02 PM   #72
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
I don't expect the ceramic Exp II and the Submariner updates in the same year. Too much new at once.

My 2020 prediction is a revamp of the Submariner line.

1) Submariner Date gets the new movement. All PM and TT Subs also get the new movement.

2) Submariner No Date is either left alone for one year, or dropped for one year.

3) Submariner Hulk is dropped, but will probably come back later

4) Rose Gold Submariner Date.

2021 I think we get an all new color Submariner, probably dark blue, which will drive hypebeasts nuts.
Old 20 August 2019, 11:33 PM   #73
baraj1466
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Rolex smart watch. This I have to see.
baraj1466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 11:36 PM   #74
acfcheung
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
A Coke would be a show stealer. I have a feeling it would be more attractive (black & red ceramic probably could be executed more accurately) than the Pepsi ... and probably would become the new “it” piece.

Interestingly, a YouTuber (London Watch Collector) predicts that the BLNR will be discontinued in 2020 or 2021 believing Rolex is using inventory of BLNR bezels up before making switch.

I would feel certain whenever Rolex releases new Sub, they will want it to be the show stealer. So, I predict new Sub in 2020 with slightly slimmer lugs (like current GMTs) and new 32__ movement. For some reason, I also predict that the Sub ND will be discontinued temporarily for 2020. Then in 2021 or 2022 reintroduced with case & movement upgrades. I wouldn’t be surprised that Hulk would be discontinued - and brought back a year later it possibly replaced by a SS Blue Sub.

I think BLNR continues until Coke release in 2021, when it will be retired. Maybe an all black GMT would return in 2021 with jubilee.

the new GMTs have slimmer lugs?

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
acfcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:19 AM   #75
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

I suspect the ceramic is cheaper to do at this point as it slowly creeps across the line.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:51 AM   #76
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfcheung View Post
the new GMTs have slimmer lugs?

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Yes, you can see the difference on my short vid comparing my new BLNR & ND Sub

https://youtu.be/hBybAZNEzzA

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:53 AM   #77
Shihan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18●20●22●▼●2●4●6 View Post
I heard that we might see Cellini Chronograph...
oooooh interesting...
Shihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 01:13 AM   #78
ny_yeti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus.achiles View Post
sd43 bluesy.
yes!
ny_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 01:59 AM   #79
finestdealer
"TRF" Member

Looks like something I would be interested in
finestdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:39 AM   #80
GMTMasterDallas
"TRF" Member

We need an update to the steel and gold Daytonas. They need to be fitted with a ceramic bezel like much of the rest of the line.
Old 21 August 2019, 07:25 AM   #81
Spartans71
"TRF" Member

I know it’s highly unlikely, but I’m hoping that the oyster bracelet is brought back as an option for the Batman.
Spartans71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 08:52 AM   #82
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

With a letdown 2019 and an anniversary year for Explorer, I’m expecting a big year release next year
Not expecting a coke but a new Explorer ii probably and a new Movement for the sub
Old 21 August 2019, 09:02 AM   #83
mikkey
Banned

I'm patiently waiting for them to impress me. lol
mikkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:07 AM   #84
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18●20●22●▼●2●4●6 View Post
I heard that we might see Cellini Chronograph...
I actually think this would be a good move on Rolex's part to bring more awareness to the Cellini line. They did a fantastic job with the moonphase a few years ago but that targets a very niche audience with regards to a complication on a dress watch. Both Lange and Patek have done well with chronograph dress watches -- this would be the best complication to add to the Cellini line-up.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:13 AM   #85
hdfb910
"TRF" Member

Platinum NO Date Sub with ice blue dial Black ceramic bezel
Patek Philippe 5711/1A-010, Patek Philippe 5170G, Patek Philippe 5227R, Audemar Piguet 15400or, Audemar Piguet 15707ce, Audemar Piguet 26331IP, Audemar 15500 Blue dial, Rolex Pepsi 16710, Rolex Sub 116619LB (Smurf) F.P Journe Platinum Chronometre Souverain, Old School Breitling SuperOcean A17360, Jaeger LeCoultre Geophysic Tru Seconds

Instagram: @donpedro_007
hdfb910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 05:32 PM   #86
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
Totally

who really cares what gets released if you can't purchase it
True.....and its hard to see how this will change as things currently stand...if anything, the frenzy and hype is only likely to incresae?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 05:49 PM   #87
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 116713LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
Yes, you can see the difference on my short vid comparing my new BLNR & ND Sub

https://youtu.be/hBybAZNEzzA

I think the difference in the lugs is an optical delusion!
Jackumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:59 AM   #88
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
I always think that too Evan. Everyone wants to change the Explorer II to the GMT. The stainless steel bezel is what separates it from everything else. That and the 42mm case.
Agree. I think the 40mm Explorer II was excellent, but it didn't sell well and that had a lot to do with the fact that it was technically a less functional clone of the GMT-Master II. The white dial has always been a nice option, but increasing the size gave consumers some variety without completely redesigning the piece.

I've had mixed feelings about the Sea-Dweller at 43mm. I understand the move for the same reasons I understood increasing the size of the Explorer II to draw some contrast. At the same time, it does seem like a sized up clone of the Submariner now that the cyclops is also added. Regardless, I think it was smart of Rolex to meet the demands of consumers who were starting to wear larger watches by re-imagining a less popular model at larger size (but at the same time bringing back the orange hand to tie it to its heritage).
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 03:31 AM   #89
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek32 View Post
As a Milgaus owner would love to see the model discontinued, would make this unloved Rolex a much more desirable watch to own..
Soooooo you don’t own it because you like it now?
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 04:18 AM   #90
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
I predict another unexpected Oysterflex model.
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote