The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 17 August 2019, 04:56 AM   #1
Blakerhodes
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 gilt chapter
SwissWatchExpo sold me a fake Daytona 116500 for $21,800

SwisswatchExpo out of Atlanta sold me a fake Rolex Daytona 116500 for $21,800. I bought the watch a little over a month ago, I noticed some issues with the bracelet. I asked several people their opinions on the bracelet and they said they thought it was a fake.

I texted the salesman I dealt with, he said he was not working and to email the shop...then basically said to not text him on his personal phone ever though we had communicated prior on the same phone.

I emailed SwissWatchExpo telling them I believed the bracelet to be a fake. This was their reply:

We can assure you that the bracelet is not fake. You have nothing to worry about!

Our six, Rolex-trained watchmakers inspect, authenticate and service every timepiece prior to listing the watch for sale. If any parts are deemed non-genuine or non-authentic, we do not list the watch. The founder of our company is our head watchmaker and has been a watchmaker for almost thirty years. Almost twenty of those years had been with an authorized Rolex dealer. Had the watch had non-genuine parts, it would have been caught prior to listing the watch for sale.

------------------------

I explained I will be taking it to Rolex service center. Took it over there and they confirmed the bracelet was fake. Called SwissWatchExpo and they said they needed that in writing...asked Rolex to put it in writing, they explained they are not in the business of writing letters for people which I totally understand.

SwissWatchExpo then asked me to get a quote on a new bracelet in writing. So I go back to Rolex and request that, sitting in the waiting room while they do that. The lady comes back and says we cant give you an estimate because the watch is a complete fake, gives me the watch back and explains that if it was outside of the US at a Rolex service center they would have not given the watch back. The serial number was a fake, card was fake stamped with Tourneau.

I was given a refund, so thats good. I asked them 3 times where they got the watch and that I needed to know so I could post that info on the forums to alert anyone else that bought from them or their source, they refused to do so.

If you have purchased anything from SwissWatchExpo , even if it was years ago, I suggest you take it to a Rolex service center if you have one close by.
Old 17 August 2019, 05:19 AM   #2
JodyHighroller
Banned

Got any pics of the watch in question? Is this the same watch you have listed for sale currently?

Another reason why most stick with the trusted sellers on here.

Glad you were able to get a refund in the end.
Old 17 August 2019, 05:24 AM   #3
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Thats very interesting. I was looking at a few watches they advertise and I drive though the Atlanta area a bit and figured I would stop in. If they dont know whats real and whats fake that isnt good at all.
Old 17 August 2019, 05:29 AM   #4
Blakerhodes
"TRF" Member

Pictures https://share.icloud.com/photos/022A...NK1iMoiCg#Home
Old 17 August 2019, 05:30 AM   #5
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Good info.
Old 17 August 2019, 06:37 AM   #6
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
What convinced SWE to give you a refund? They were already defensive about the bracelet, so what turned it in your favor to get a full refund for the whole watch. Fortunate indeed.
Old 17 August 2019, 06:41 AM   #7
Blakerhodes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
What convinced SWE to give you a refund? They were already defensive about the bracelet, so what turned it in your favor to get a full refund for the whole watch. Fortunate indeed.
I think Rolex service calling the watch a fake did it. They ran the serial and it was fake.
Old 17 August 2019, 11:15 AM   #8
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakerhodes View Post
WOw....they called that fake?!!??

Look at the crispness and sharpness of the engraving on the movement!!
Old 17 August 2019, 11:30 AM   #9
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
I’m still a novice and maybe I’m wrong, but to me it has several “tells” that should make it standout as a fake fairly easily, especially to a trained eye.
Old 17 August 2019, 11:35 AM   #10
Blakerhodes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
WOw....they called that fake?!!??

Look at the crispness and sharpness of the engraving on the movement!!
Yea. When Rolex looks up the serial number and it doesn’t exist I think they call it a fake. Bracelet and case were totally fake, warranty card with Tourneau name was bogus..not sure about the movement, I don’t even know if Rolex got that far, she said fake case and non existing serial are enough for them to call it a counterfeit. Swisswatchexpo claims to have 7 watchmakers on staff that inspect every single part , not sure how they didn’t know the bracelet was fake right from the start.
Old 17 August 2019, 11:40 AM   #11
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

If you shine a UV light on the top left corner of the warranty card, do you see rows of 'ROLEXROLEXROLEX' light up? (wondering if fake cards have this within them)

Shown below:

Old 17 August 2019, 11:44 AM   #12
Blakerhodes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinleems View Post
If you shine a UV light on the top left corner of the warranty card, do you see rows of 'ROLEXROLEXROLEX' light up?
I should have checked that, watch was already sent back.

Swisswatchexpo is a mess. I just noticed they post full serial numbers for all their watches right on the site. Probably not a great idea to do that.

If they didn’t know it was fake I think it’s pretty important they disclose where that got the watch from. They refused 3 times when I asked. I seriously doubt this was a one time thing , who knows how many people got scammed and have no clue.
Old 17 August 2019, 11:47 AM   #13
Blakerhodes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinleems View Post
If you shine a UV light on the top left corner of the warranty card, do you see rows of 'ROLEXROLEXROLEX' light up? (wondering if fake cards have this within them)

Shown below:

The card was slightly peeling at the top which seems odd as an owner would normally have it in the Rolex box and was only supposed to be a few years old.
Old 17 August 2019, 11:56 AM   #14
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryacht View Post
I’m still a novice and maybe I’m wrong, but to me it has several “tells” that should make it standout as a fake fairly easily, especially to a trained eye.
Like what?
The photos are lousy. but I am 99.9% sure the movement is genuine - no 100% sure.
Case, bracelet, dial and warranty card are fake
But movement is genuine!

So what can you see wrong?
Adam

OP
Could you PM me the serial number on rehaut and movement - PLEASE
adam
Old 17 August 2019, 12:06 PM   #15
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Well, per the rules here, I like not pointing out these type things in detail, but just the ceramic bezel would make me instantly guess it was fake.
Old 17 August 2019, 12:09 PM   #16
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryacht View Post
Well, per the rules here, I like not pointing out these type things in detail, but just the ceramic bezel would make me instantly guess it was fake.
But NOT the movement
Old 17 August 2019, 12:12 PM   #17
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Been in their shop before. They are a bunch of douchebags that work in there. I would never give them my business!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 August 2019, 12:12 PM   #18
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Wow, amazing.
Old 17 August 2019, 12:13 PM   #19
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
But NOT the movement
I just don’t get that.
Why would anyone go through such trouble to fake a watch but include a genuine movement?
Perhaps OP can further clarify but I read and understood Rolex found entire watch a fake.
Old 17 August 2019, 12:24 PM   #20
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But NOT the movement
A couple other things I will mention, but I will try to be vague so as not to give tips to counterfeiters. The bezel is definitely wrong, the white gold coronet on the dial looks off, the engraving looks sloppy on the “orig. Rolex design”, and the subdials don"t look correct. This is just from looking at my Daytona and the Rolex website. Those things should be enough for anyone to stay away.
Old 17 August 2019, 12:26 PM   #21
Blakerhodes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I just don’t get that.
Why would anyone go through such trouble to fake a watch but include a genuine movement?
Perhaps OP can further clarify but I read and understood Rolex found entire watch a fake.
They didn’t specifically mention the movement. They said they ran the serial and it didn’t exist and that the case was fake and as far as they were concerned the fake bracelet+case+fake serial and card= a counterfeit watch. They couldn’t write a repair estimate ( which is what Swisswatchexpo was asking for ) with the watch I took in there.
Old 17 August 2019, 12:28 PM   #22
Blakerhodes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th_doc View Post
Been in their shop before. They are a bunch of douchebags that work in there. I would never give them my business!!!

I bought it online but this seems pretty accurate.
Old 17 August 2019, 12:29 PM   #23
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They didn’t specifically mention the movement. They said they ran the serial and it didn’t exist and that the case was fake and as far as they were concerned the fake bracelet+case+fake serial and card= a counterfeit watch. They couldn’t write a repair estimate ( which is what Swisswatchexpo was asking for ) with the watch I took in there.
This is correct.
Genuine movement - rest is fake, case, bracelet, dial and cards.
adam
Old 17 August 2019, 01:04 PM   #24
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Ps
SWISS WATCH EXPO
would not have a clue how to detect these ZOMBIE FAKES.
They checked the movement, it was good so they claimed genuine
They were duped too
Old 17 August 2019, 01:20 PM   #25
Blakerhodes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ps
SWISS WATCH EXPO
would not have a clue how to detect these ZOMBIE FAKES.
They checked the movement, it was good so they claimed genuine
They were duped too
If there were duped wouldn’t they want to expose whoever they got scammed by? Instead of declining to say. Idk, seems like when I suspected the bracelet they didn’t want me to take it to Rolex bc they knew it was going to be found fake.
Old 17 August 2019, 01:24 PM   #26
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If there were duped wouldn’t they want to expose whoever they got scammed by? Instead of declining to say. Idk, seems like when I suspected the bracelet they didn’t want me to take it to Rolex bc they knew it was going to be found fake.
When you disclosed the bracelet - they (correctly/NOT suprisingly) disbelieved you,
They had checked the movement - its GENUINE.
So they assumed (as I did once) and hundreds of others watch is genuine.
GENUINE movement = GENUINE watch. Correct? WRONG

Go talk to ROLEX!
Old 17 August 2019, 01:28 PM   #27
Blakerhodes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When you disclosed the bracelet - they (correctly/NOT suprisingly) disbelieved you,
They had checked the movement - its GENUINE.
So they assumed (as I did once) and hundreds of others watch is genuine.
GENUINE movement = GENUINE watch. Correct? WRONG

Go talk to ROLEX!
They should update their site :

Every watch we sell at SwissWatchExpo is guaranteed to be 100% authentic and genuine name-brand, unless otherwise specified. We don’t accept any items that are knock-offs or that contain parts unacceptable to Swiss standards. Our expert and certified Master watchmakers conduct rigorous reviews of each watch to ensure its authenticity before we list anything for sale.
Old 17 August 2019, 01:32 PM   #28
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They should update their site :

Every watch we sell at SwissWatchExpo is guaranteed to be 100% authentic and genuine name-brand, unless otherwise specified. We don’t accept any items that are knock-offs or that contain parts unacceptable to Swiss standards. Our expert and certified Master watchmakers conduct rigorous reviews of each watch to ensure its authenticity before we list anything for sale.
Why?
Based on their knowledge watch is authentic

That said, yep, they should update their conditions.
But thats up to YOU to tell them
'
Old 17 August 2019, 01:36 PM   #29
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

PS
They and NO company that a "WATCHMAKER"
A watchmaker - like George Daniels or Roland Murphy MAKE watches.
These people you put your trust in are repair men and woman - no better or worse than plumbers.
They could NOT make one part of a watch!
Old 17 August 2019, 01:40 PM   #30
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Like what?

The photos are lousy. but I am 99.9% sure the movement is genuine - no 100% sure.

Case, bracelet, dial and warranty card are fake

But movement is genuine!

So what can you see wrong?

Adam

OP

Could you PM me the serial number on rehaut and movement - PLEASE

adam

Glad someone chimed in on this. That watch does not have the easy tell tale signs that a normal fake does. I went though all of the movement pictures, before i saw the above post, thinking damn. that’s a solid Fake. If the movement is bad, which i don’t believe it is, it’s unbelievably good for a fake.

Many people would have been fooled by this one.

Closed Thread