The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 August 2019, 02:47 AM   #91
Sub Capt.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Rolex just goes on like they have for decades ..producing quality watches in percentages for each type according to the trust instructions laid down by Wilsdorf himself .

I have been a Rolex owner since 2000 and every morning I place one on my wrist ,I get a kick out of it .
I love my collection, which also includes Panerai/IWC and Jaeger leCoultre .

The favourite in my collection isn't a Rolex ,its the PAM671 Blue Bronzo .
My favourite Rolex ? My 2011 DSSD 116660.

Get back to the real reason you own a Rolex .

Rolex is an investment for the soul .
Exactly! Thank you!!

T
Old 20 August 2019, 02:53 AM   #92
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Everything CRM said I can agree with. I think the bubble will blow, “God help those who paid 200k for a 5980” Hahahaha I love that. God help those who paid 18k for a Batman too lol
Old 20 August 2019, 03:11 AM   #93
ruffa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post
I typically look at DSW and other TS here as a barometer for pricing and for the most part their pricing seems to be stable. I don't see “falling” prices. Am I missing something.

Grey dealers don’t want to start dropping their prices too noticeably because it’ll turn on them and hurt them. They keep the market prices fairly steady because if they start dropping hard then private sellers will also drop them and when that happens people panic and offload more watches trying to cash out early. The grey market prices are artificial because of demand. As soon as people start offloading more than demand prices drop. Currently prices have dropped some but summer is a slower time of year. It may be the season or maybe some people don’t know where the economy is going so they’re holding on to $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 August 2019, 03:38 AM   #94
DTap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
How does above address my question? I asked poster I quoted why would he wish for collapse or burst in his terms when they can already be purchased for msrp at an AD...ask me how I know!

Yes, you quoted me. It the question is why do I want to see the bubble burst? Simple: I don’t make a living speculating on watch values. So the bubble IMO is getting in the way of purchasing the watch I want. And if walked into a dealer and saw two in the case, I would not try to make a buck and buy both. Hopefully someone else would add the 2nd to their collection.
Old 20 August 2019, 03:38 AM   #95
Rafabond
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, etc
the same thing happens every summer, but it is to reach autumn in the work time and prices return to their usual rise. What I am seeing is that in chrono24 there is a lot of private seller that lowers prices.
Old 20 August 2019, 03:45 AM   #96
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Capt. View Post
Exactly! Thank you!!

T
Old 20 August 2019, 07:04 AM   #97
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafabond View Post
the same thing happens every summer, but it is to reach autumn in the work time and prices return to their usual rise. What I am seeing is that in chrono24 there is a lot of private seller that lowers prices.
Why is there less demand for watches in summer? I bought all my watches in spring/summer season. I want a new watch to wear when I'm out and about in nice weather not when its minus 10 and snowing like shit.

Also in many countries near the equator there is no summer. Its always freakin hot ALL year round doesnt matter which season its "supposed" to be.

I'm not buying into this summer slowdown. Real estate peaks in spring/summer selling season most buyers are out and about.
Old 20 August 2019, 07:11 AM   #98
Jarlaxle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremek View Post

Rolex produces millions of SS watches that at MSRP run thousands-to-tens of thousands of dollars.
Actually the estimates I have seen are that Rolex makes around 800,000 watches a year. Maybe that number has gone up some but I sincerely doubt its in the "millions".
Old 20 August 2019, 07:17 AM   #99
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

I love the feud between wristbusters and CRM on IG
Old 20 August 2019, 07:18 AM   #100
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper33 View Post
I love the feud between wristbusters and CRM on IG
Me as well. Wristbusters is hilarious and my kinda guy. CRM are a bunch of.....
Old 20 August 2019, 07:20 AM   #101
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Did he say anything?

“~Early or late November we will see...”. Sounds like a fortune teller.

“Gold 5980” when did this become the barometer?

Of course the market is inflated
Old 20 August 2019, 07:33 AM   #102
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
Everything CRM said I can agree with. I think the bubble will blow, “God help those who paid 200k for a 5980” Hahahaha I love that. God help those who paid 18k for a Batman too lol
Fortunately when we set our risk profile, targets for growth through non- exertion income and set sell triggers on highly speculative investments. we left God off our funds manager list.

During due diligence, we were outperforming god in holorogy investments. God Investments BVI, has a meek shall inherit clause. The meek don’t want Platinum Daytona’s or new stainless GMT’s - they always flip them to fund a risk provision on future litigation exposure.
Old 20 August 2019, 07:38 AM   #103
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

There is a Recession looming in the United States. If you were thinking of buying a watch, I would advise to wait a bit, then snag it when everyone is saving their cash... The only Rolex I'd buy these days is a well-preserved vintage model from the mid-2000s, a well-desired Sports model which is not made anymore, like the GMT-II. Get it with all boxes and papers, from an original owner, and un-polished, and you'll be making a wise investment!
Old 20 August 2019, 07:47 AM   #104
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
Actually the estimates I have seen are that Rolex makes around 800,000 watches a year. Maybe that number has gone up some but I sincerely doubt its in the "millions".
Actually, If Rolex sold an annual production of 850,000 in purely stainless GMT’s they’d be at gross revenue (not unit sales) of $US8,500,000,000.
Old 20 August 2019, 10:13 AM   #105
Jmango
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oh so many...
Right, wrong or indifferent, I just cannot take any advice seriously from the 4th Beastie Boy.
"The trick to passing a new acquisition through marital customs undetected it simply to hold your collection to a quantity so great as to achieve the introduction of obscurity. Only with this critical element can one successfully endure the intensity of inquiry with a brave, confident response of "This old thing? You love this watch, I've had this for years..." -Jmango, 2019
Old 20 August 2019, 10:16 AM   #106
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I'm confused. Why does price matter if you are buying for the right reasons.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 20 August 2019, 10:19 AM   #107
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Cause 2 rights would be wrong
Old 20 August 2019, 10:22 AM   #108
pkincy
"TRF" Member

You are spot on...."if you are buying for the right reasons." Unfortunately a reasonably large % of Rolex owners didn't buy for the right reasons. All you have to do is spend some time on TRF reading the "Which Rolex will be the best investment?" threads we get constantly. And I do wonder how collectors will feel when their carefully completed collection of SS Tool watches bought at some multiple of MSRP are all available BNIB from an AD for MSRP? Or for MSRP less 10%.
Old 20 August 2019, 10:34 AM   #109
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

Well what matters is accessibility. If you have your heart set on a white dial Daytona (for all of the “right” reasons) but you’re not a VIP or there is no longer an AD in your area, then you are stuck with buying grey (and the 80-100ish percent premium does matter) or waiting on a list you’ll likely never move up on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 August 2019, 10:58 AM   #110
DasKptl
Banned

Icon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
Well what matters is accessibility. If you have your heart set on a white dial Daytona (for all of the “right” reasons) but you’re not a VIP or there is no longer an AD in your area, then you are stuck with buying grey (and the 80-100ish percent premium does matter) or waiting on a list you’ll likely never move up on.

That's an astute answer.

Old 20 August 2019, 12:05 PM   #111
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Want to hear something really crazy? I don't want Rolexes to appreciate. I'd be happy if they had some sort of normal depreciation like most other consumer goods. I was lucky and snagged my 5 digit sub for about what it sold for in 2011. So the owner (I bought it from a reseller) probably lost 15-20% on it over it's lifetime, which is fair. Although he barely wore it; it was practically NOS condition. If I could wear it for 10 years, do a service and sell it for 70% of what I paid for it I'd be happy. If it was all of a sudden worth double what I paid for it, it might be harder for me to enjoy it as a daily wearer.
Old 20 August 2019, 12:13 PM   #112
DTap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremek View Post
A $9k MSRP SS Rolex isn't a GT3-RS of the watch world.
Amen to that. I think the Porsche comparison is a really good one. Both brands target the mass market. In the US, the price points for both brands are very much attainable to the middle class. Not cheap, but attainable. That’s why everywhere you go and on tv you see Rolex ads. Lamborghini doesn’t really need to advertise.

I bet the folks at Rolex want a firemen in Ohio to be able to buy his son a Rolex for his college graduation. That is their brand, not a clown on instagram taking pictures of a stack of Daytonas on his hand.

Now the next question: What is the corvette of watches?
Old 20 August 2019, 12:45 PM   #113
rcclarkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMP 300m
Why aren't we asking the important question here: when is the bubble going to burst on these YouTube influencers??
Old 20 August 2019, 02:23 PM   #114
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Seems like many “guest” here are very much grey dealers ... running in panic and taking everything personal when everyone agrees the prices will drop soon ������
Old 20 August 2019, 02:42 PM   #115
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
Actually, If Rolex sold an annual production of 850,000 in purely stainless GMT’s they’d be at gross revenue (not unit sales) of $US8,500,000,000.
I don't understand why you have multiplied the volume he stated by a price to give revenue. What's the relevance when he was talking only about volumes?
Old 20 August 2019, 02:47 PM   #116
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Want to hear something really crazy? I don't want Rolexes to appreciate. I'd be happy if they had some sort of normal depreciation like most other consumer goods. I was lucky and snagged my 5 digit sub for about what it sold for in 2011. So the owner (I bought it from a reseller) probably lost 15-20% on it over it's lifetime, which is fair. Although he barely wore it; it was practically NOS condition. If I could wear it for 10 years, do a service and sell it for 70% of what I paid for it I'd be happy. If it was all of a sudden worth double what I paid for it, it might be harder for me to enjoy it as a daily wearer.
I wore my first sub hard for 20 years and then sold it for what I paid for it. Agree with you, that is all I could ask for.
Old 20 August 2019, 03:06 PM   #117
Boutella
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Rhodium Sky
Eric from CRM is a cool dude. I have spoken to him a couple of times regarding sourcing older watches for me. But, I do think they are also part of the problem with how they are pricing their watches. Every time they post anything on Instagram, I compare with greys in my area. He's a good 10-15% up in price. Don't fault them though, everyone's gotta make a living.
Old 20 August 2019, 03:14 PM   #118
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
If you need God’s help because you paid $8k over retail for a watch you have more problems than over-paying.
Old 20 August 2019, 05:47 PM   #119
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Totally agree...in fact i don’t enjoy my watches as much now they are hard to come by and in some cases double what i paid for them....never used to give them a second thought....now ive got storage issues....damage issues etc etc
Old 20 August 2019, 05:54 PM   #120
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Not the person I would listen
Closed Thread