The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 February 2019, 06:51 AM   #1
ecmgbob
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118239
IWC Le Petit Prince Pilot’s Chronograph

HI all:

With all the Rolex SS angst and discussion regarding considering other brands/references, I wanted to share my experience with IWC recently. I travel to Asia 5 or 6 times per year and often end up in the HKG airport right around my birthday in November. 4 years ago I purchased a 116613LB from the Rolex boutique for my 50th birthday. At that time I was able to get a 10% discount with no VAT or Sales Tax, so I decided to splurge vs using a trusted seller. Guess you could say I was caught up in the moment. This year in November when I was passing through HKIA, I visited the Rolex boutique and had a great conversation about supply, etc; but needless to say left there empty handed.

So off I went to look at the JLC, Cartier and Omega shops (nothing intrigued me). My last stop was to the IWC boutique. Mind you, when I am dressing for a 15 hour flight, my mode of dress neither signifies poverty or prosperity, more like business functional; but the young man i began speaking to did not pre-judge me and was most generous in explaining IWC's history, the different collections and of course allowed me to try on a dizzying array of beautiful timepieces. Once I had made my selection I pressed him to give me the "Rolex discount" of 10%; but was only able to get 7% and the added bonus of a leather or rubber strap thrown in. So again, in a weak moment, the Amex came out, watch was sized and off I went to enjoy a pre-flight bevvie with something new to stare at on my wrist.

I settled on the 377717 "Le Petite Prince Pilot's Watch Chronograph. What i love about this reference is the size/wrist presence, the dazzling blue dial with ultra-legible numbers and hash marks and the hefty and comfortable bracelet.

Speaking of the bracelet, the clasp has a unique feature lurking beneath the IWC Logo. The logo itself is actually a spring-loaded tab that when depressed allows you to move the bracelet in or out about 3mm in either direction to micr-adjust for all day comfort. The clasp has a beautiful engine-turned finish on one of the surfaces. I admire this attention to detail in an area that only the wearer will ever see and enjoy.

I deliberated whether to buy a reference with in-house movement or not. I landed on the side of this particular reference as it uses the venerable ETA79320 movement which I've learned by way of this forum is a tried and true engine. Were it equipped with an exposition back I may have gone the other way. By all non-scientific indications it is keeping time well within the specs ETA has identified.

Overall finish and quality of the watch case, the bracelet and the clasp is first rate. Link removal and changeover to a strap is super-easy with the supplied tools.

Little known fact, this reference and many IWC watches exceed DIN specs for resistance against magnetic fields due to the addition of a soft iron core inside the case.

One last thing, check out the lume!

For the life of me, I don't understand why IWC doesn't get more love in the WIS community unless resale factors in. Below are some pics to show off the watch and the features I mentioned above. In closing, anyone on the fence about IWC and who buys watches for enjoyment and not for future value, I strongly suggest considering IWC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ecmgbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 06:52 AM   #2
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Good looking watch. As to why IWC doesn't get more love - for me it's the sizes. I like the Top Gun models, but I want them in a 40.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 07:08 AM   #3
white__light
"TRF" Member

I think a lot of the dislike for IWC relates to the price-point for the Pilot watches which don’t have in-house movements in comparison to other brands pilot watches (Stowa, Hamilton) which sell for a lot less money.

For me, there is no comparison with those other brands as IWC Pilot watches are in another league in all aspects of design and worth the extra money.

In fact, I liked the Mark XVIII series so much that I bought both the black dial/ black strap version and blue dial / brown strap petit prince editions and now can’t stop staring at my wrist when I am wearing either of them!

I might even add one of new Spitfire editions shown at SINN 2019 when they are released later this year.
white__light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 07:25 AM   #4
white__light
"TRF" Member

Double post

Last edited by white__light; 12 February 2019 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Double post
white__light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 07:53 AM   #5
ecmgbob
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118239
I find myself staring at the watch a lot too. I really like some of the new offerings, especially the "Longest Flight" Special edition...
ecmgbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 11:17 PM   #6
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I love IWC, great brand and some amazing watches. I have owned a bunch over the years and I will never part with my blue dialed Mark XVIII.

Huge congrats, enjoy.
Old 13 February 2019, 03:27 AM   #7
Burlington
"TRF" Member

The older cousin. It’s a truly great watch.

Wear and enjoy

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 05:27 AM   #8
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Very nice! Congratulations!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 05:57 AM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmgbob View Post
For the life of me, I don't understand why IWC doesn't get more love in the WIS community unless resale factors in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IWC was my favorite watch brand 20 years ago but they lost me and IMO diluted their brand since the mid 2000s by trying too hard and doing too much:

- Ever more different models and too many limited editions made IWC appear arbitrary rather than special (you can get dozens of pilot watches)

- Rapid product cycles, as if an IWC watch was a fashion accessory (few people spend big on a non-Patek that becomes outdated next thing they know)

- New watches poorly received compared to the previous iteration (e.g. Mark XVI and XVII vs the XV - the XVIII was a step in the right direction)

- Lack of quality design across certain series (e.g. back and forth evolution of the Aquatimer over the past 20 years, Ingenieur not much better)

- Increase in watch size to almost ridiculous levels (IWC seem to be back-pedalling lately)

Others, including Rolex, held a more steady course (FWIW I never owned a Rolex but a few IWCs). Poor resale is a consequence of the diluted IWC brand value IMO (plus fairly high MSRPs of many basic IWC models in light of no in-house movement). More food for thought:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/an...rom-john-mayer

Still some very nice watch pics in this thread!
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 09:28 AM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

IWC Le Petit Prince Pilot’s Chronograph

Congrats! I am a huge fan of IWC, especially their pilot line, and especially the pilot chronographs. Your LPP edition is a beauty, I’ve tried it and considered it many times.

I agree with all of your remarks regarding the watch and the brand as a whole. Great quality timepieces made to be practical and durable, which is exactly what I want in a watch. And their watches are actually available to be purchased, which is always a plus.

I’m considering one of the new Spitfire chronos, but until then I’m more than happy with my Top Gun Doppelchrono.

Congrats again, enjoy!

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 06:36 PM   #11
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Congrats!

Love that blue dial.

Have been a fan of IWC for a long time.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 12:08 AM   #12
simonthepilot
"TRF" Member

Great write-up and review! I've just ordered one and waiting for delivery. Was a bit concerned about not being an in-house movement, and that the ETA7750 may be a bit crude in it's finishing. Spoke to an IWC-watchmaker who reassured me that it was not the case, and also explained the status of the ETA 7750 in the watch industry. So far I'm content!

Congratulations on a beautiful acquisition!
Old 2 December 2020, 01:06 AM   #13
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

i've always felt an affinity with St. Exupery. He crash-landed in my father's town in Argentina, and the woman he lived with there, in later life, taught my father French and made of him an avowed Francophile. He also was born and raised just outside my town in the South of France.

Enjoy this lovely watch in good health.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 02:34 AM   #14
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Congratulations! Excellent choice and one of my favorite pieces they offer.
Old 2 December 2020, 07:03 AM   #15
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Not sure why IWC fell off.
Maybe because of what was already listed above.
I owned a 3777 and now just picked up a pre-owned IWC Big Pilot. The brand feels like a luxury product. Love the tool watches of other brands but when I wear an IWC Pilot, it feels and looks much nicer than I expected just seeing them online.
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 08:42 AM   #16
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Love this watch, brought a buddy to buy one a year or so ago. And the Pilots in general I have a soft spot for.

Nice pick-up. Congrats.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 07:14 AM   #17
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
That's a gorgeous looking Pilot !

In house schmin house.

ETA manufacturing differing grades of their 7750 ébauche, IWC used to take the highest grade, then tear it down, replacing many parts with those of their own manufacture- so It was a hybrid of sorts. It's not the same 7750 that Fortis or Stowa slap in.
That said, the 7750 is a proven work horse chronograph that does what it's supposed to, rather well and, if regulated, as accurately as any other chronograph. Absolutely zedro shame with that.

IWC make excellent watches with a high degree of dial and case finishing. When they feel like it, they make incredible, innovative in house movements. I'd also argue that their bracelets put the much touted Oyster ones to shame....
Old 3 December 2020, 01:22 PM   #18
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
There’s a 41mm spitfire chrono with an in house mvt. which makes a nice alternative to the larger ETA driven pilot. And it’s priced very similarly.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote