The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 12 February 2019, 03:20 AM   #1
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Hands-on Titanium Redesigned Royal Oak Offshore 42 mm ref. 26480TI from SIHH 2019>>>>

What appears to be where the 42 mm Offshore will be moving in the future.

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...42-mm-offshore

Enjoy!

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 04:34 AM   #2
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Great review! I just subscribed to your magazine
Old 12 February 2019, 05:01 AM   #3
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

that looks great!
Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 05:06 AM   #4
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Fantastic review.

2 follow up questions:
1. If I understand you correctly, you're saying this watch wears a bit wider than other ROOC, such as the ghost/vampire? If that's the case, that could be a deal breaker for smaller (less than 7") wrists like mine.

2. The skeletonized hands being darker seem to make it a little tough to read the time against the back drop of a matte blue dial. Granted the white tips help a lot, but if you're looking at the entire hands, it would seem to be a bit challenging. Or is that simply the lighting in this shot?
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 05:47 AM   #5
jumpmandk
"TRF" Member

Cool write up - My take would be the ceramic bezels of the ghost/vampire give it a slimmer look vs the TI or SS bezels.

I have noticed this on the SS royal oak bezel vs ceramic royal oaks - can only assume that it would be similar on the offshore.
jumpmandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 06:04 AM   #6
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Very nice looking piece - was a bit unsure about it until reading this and seeing the detailed pics. As ever, thanks for sharing !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 07:40 AM   #7
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac10000 View Post
Great review! I just subscribed to your magazine

Old 12 February 2019, 07:45 AM   #8
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
Fantastic review.

2 follow up questions:
1. If I understand you correctly, you're saying this watch wears a bit wider than other ROOC, such as the ghost/vampire? If that's the case, that could be a deal breaker for smaller (less than 7") wrists like mine.

2. The skeletonized hands being darker seem to make it a little tough to read the time against the back drop of a matte blue dial. Granted the white tips help a lot, but if you're looking at the entire hands, it would seem to be a bit challenging. Or is that simply the lighting in this shot?
It wears slightly bigger but it gets compensated by the thinner case construction. It's really barely noticeable. I think you'd still be fine because my wrist is 7.25-7.5" depending on the time of the year. I can even wear a 44 mm Offshore with no problem.

More of a lighting thing. Time can be read well but if you are totally at a straight angle from the watch you need to follow the white tips ideally.

Old 12 February 2019, 07:47 AM   #9
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Very nice looking piece - was a bit unsure about it until reading this and seeing the detailed pics. As ever, thanks for sharing !

Old 12 February 2019, 07:52 AM   #10
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
It wears slightly bigger but it gets compensated by the thinner case construction. It's really barely noticeable. I think you'd still be fine because my wrist is 7.25-7.5" depending on the time of the year. I can even wear a 44 mm Offshore with no problem.

More of a lighting thing. Time can be read well but if you are totally at a straight angle from the watch you need to follow the white tips ideally.
So on a 6.5" wrist, would you say this watch would look somewhat bigger than the ghost, rather than being markedly bigger?

I'm more concerned about the legibility of the dial with those hands, depending on the lighting.
Old 12 February 2019, 08:36 AM   #11
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
That’s a very insightful write up. Thank you.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 09:20 AM   #12
bigweep
"TRF" Member

I would have preferred existing 42 offshore with 44 pushers but no change on the dial. This looks a bit weird/too much mix to me (42 size, ROC dial, 44 pushers).
bigweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 10:14 AM   #13
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
i see this as the start of new line combining royal oak + offshore. not replacing either

the dial looks great and well proportioned
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 01:02 PM   #14
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
Another great article! I was hoping for a write up somewhere on this watch. I love the dial and the removal of the numerals. I’m hoping for more like this in titanium with the 4401 movement. Ah, perfection for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 01:44 PM   #15
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Just spoke to my boutique guy......

....and placed a deposit on this watch. Huge demand it looks like, but I was given one of the slots for the watch and hopefully will get it this summer. He said he's getting tons of calls for the watch daily.

Regarding fit, I don't think it will wear bigger than the ghost or other 42mm ROOC. Francois' wife was sporting it at SIHH, allegedly. And it looked good on her small wrist.

I'll post pics when I get, along with incoming 15202 (by this Sept, latest). Will be interesting to compare the blue dials....
Old 12 February 2019, 03:43 PM   #16
rotiprata
"TRF" Member

Great write up! Now what we need is more wrist shots :D
rotiprata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 04:28 PM   #17
rotiprata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
....and placed a deposit on this watch. Huge demand it looks like, but I was given one of the slots for the watch and hopefully will get it this summer. He said he's getting tons of calls for the watch daily.

Regarding fit, I don't think it will wear bigger than the ghost or other 42mm ROOC. Francois' wife was sporting it at SIHH, allegedly. And it looked good on her small wrist.

I'll post pics when I get, along with incoming 15202 (by this Sept, latest). Will be interesting to compare the blue dials....
What a great 2019 for you! congrats on the incoming 15202 . I'm always on the fence about buying a watch without trying it. Currently, am hunting for a diver, however this watch is telling me to consider my options since it's a 42mm as well. dear lord help me haha.
rotiprata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 05:23 PM   #18
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Love the way that watch looks, except for the main hands
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 10:34 PM   #19
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

They look really good. Thanks for the review and photos.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 10:44 PM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Very interesting, the slimmer size is good as are the pushers, but not so sure about the shrunken dial. Still looks a bit forced.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 01:26 AM   #21
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotiprata View Post
What a great 2019 for you! congrats on the incoming 15202 . I'm always on the fence about buying a watch without trying it. Currently, am hunting for a diver, however this watch is telling me to consider my options since it's a 42mm as well. dear lord help me haha.
Thanks!!

It was really crazy, actually. I saw this thread, posted on it, and coincidentally received a text later in the day from my AP boutique guy, who told me had some news he needed to discuss with me.

We spoke and he told me that he had two pieces of good news:
first, that I had been approved for the 15202, which was the piece I was waiting to hear about.............. I had figured that even if I was lucky, it may be another year. Instead, he told me September, and my experience with AP has been that they over deliver based on time lines, so I won't be surprised if I get it this summer.

Second, he knew about my interest in the new blue dial titanium and that's when he told me that I will get that piece as well, maybe by June? So again, I won't be surprised if I get it sooner.
I was debating between this piece and the ghost, but after reading this write up and seeing more pics, I think this is my watch. I love the dial, with only concern being the hands (legibility) and the bezel not being ceramic. However, I think I'm good with bezel issue only b/c it's titanium and not SS, and am hoping the scratches are less apparent, as I plan to really wear this watch a lot if I love it.
Old 13 February 2019, 03:21 AM   #22
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So on a 6.5" wrist, would you say this watch would look somewhat bigger than the ghost, rather than being markedly bigger?

I'm more concerned about the legibility of the dial with those hands, depending on the lighting.
A 42 mm on a 6.5" is big no matter what. It'll wear about the same.

Old 13 February 2019, 03:21 AM   #23
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eal15 View Post
Another great article! I was hoping for a write up somewhere on this watch. I love the dial and the removal of the numerals. I’m hoping for more like this in titanium with the 4401 movement. Ah, perfection for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 13 February 2019, 03:23 AM   #24
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Very interesting, the slimmer size is good as are the pushers, but not so sure about the shrunken dial. Still looks a bit forced.
It does look much smaller but the grey ring and flange seem to help and give it a little bit of a Diver Chrono look and feel to certain extent but better executed.