The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 November 2018, 06:04 AM   #1
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Accuracy: When would you send it in?

My two month old EXP II is running roughly 2.5 sec/day fast. I am not going to bother with it if it stays that way but I am wondering what the magic rate is for some people here to go off the deep end.
jlovda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 07:26 AM   #2
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

My SD 126600 was gaining like 15 secs per day when I first got it. It has settled down on its own and now has lost 1 second on the month (that’s pretty awesome)!

Question - are you wearing all the time or putting away at night? Are you winding in AM to make sure it’s full?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 07:37 AM   #3
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Personally i would likely draw the line at about +4 and -2 seconds per day when measured over a longer time frame(say a month).
I prefer them to run fast as i find it's easier/simpler to manage.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 09:05 AM   #4
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
My SD 126600 was gaining like 15 secs per day when I first got it. It has settled down on its own and now has lost 1 second on the month (that’s pretty awesome)!

Question - are you wearing all the time or putting away at night? Are you winding in AM to make sure it’s full?
I put it on at 7:00 am and take it off at 11:00 pm. It sits lying flat on my dresser at night. I have not wound it for well over a week. I try not to be a slave to my watch (although I love it dearly).
Old 2 November 2018, 09:46 AM   #5
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
I'm OK if it's within COSC at -4/+6 but would truly like it to meet the Rolex standard of -2/+2 "after casing" as is currently being marketed. Not sure how realistic that is however.
Old 2 November 2018, 09:50 AM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

To each her/his own, but if I had a brand new Rolex I would wait a year before considering sending it to the RSC for just a few seconds per day.

I would even accept up to 30 seconds either way in the early days. I’d let it operate continuously to see if the components just needed some time to settle and break-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 10:06 AM   #7
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
I put it on at 7:00 am and take it off at 11:00 pm. It sits lying flat on my dresser at night. I have not wound it for well over a week. I try not to be a slave to my watch (although I love it dearly).
To get an accurate read on rate, you would want to keep it wound and track it consistently. Given your wind and wear patterns, +2.5 could be within the margin of error, especially if the power reserve is getting low (lower power = lower balance amplitude = equals faster oscillation = faster time*).

As for where I would push the panic button, I don't know. I'm pretty picky with accuracy, although to what degree is informed by expectation. If I have a COSC certified watch (not Superlative Chronometer) that is running +4, that is within spec. I wouldn't like it, but I'd accept it, because it's "normal." If I had a green-tag Rolex that was running +4, it would annoy the hell out of me, because that's twice as fast as the maximum variance per spec. Same gain, different standard...different level of acceptance. At +2.5, I'd grit my teeth and deal. I know some people here find such pickiness foolish, but as I see it, Rolex developed the standard for those of us who care about such things. Those who don't care don't have to worry about it.

*My Sub actually does the opposite: it starts losing time when the power reserve gets low. The low reserve = greater gain is a theoretical norm, but in the real world may not always be the case.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 10:58 AM   #8
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
I'm OK if it's within COSC at -4/+6 but would truly like it to meet the Rolex standard of -2/+2 "after casing" as is currently being marketed. Not sure how realistic that is however.
In the main, evidence suggests it's quite realistic and certainly achievable
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 11:03 AM   #9
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
If mine is any indication at +1 out of the box, and still that way after two years, it's certainly achievable.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 11:29 AM   #10
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Quote:
At night sit it vertical on the crown to lose some time. Lying flat will gain time. This works on my Daytona.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 11:57 AM   #11
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
I wouldn’t worry. Be like my wife. Her watch only gets set when I see it laying around and notice that it’s off my weeks and hours.
Old 2 November 2018, 12:13 PM   #12
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
My two month old EXP II is running roughly 2.5 sec/day fast. I am not going to bother with it if it stays that way but I am wondering what the magic rate is for some people here to go off the deep end.

Don’t sweat it. If towards the end of warranty it’s not within specs, send it in for service under warranty.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 12:32 PM   #13
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post

Mine has settled in (with a morning wind after sitting all night) at “spot on” ... actually losing only 1 second over a 25 day span since “timing it” against the atomic clock app.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 12:53 PM   #14
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Mine has settled in (with a morning wind after sitting all night) at “spot on” ... actually losing only 1 second over a 25 day span since “timing it” against the atomic clock app.

Yea this is getting pretty normal with the new movement. Both my test with two differnt watches with the new movement have yielded +0.0 to +.50 seconds a week. They are so accurate I stopped checking. I have always been a accuracy fan of automatic movements as I enjoy watching their progress. Even my older Eolex movements could easily do + or - 2 seconds a day when properly regulated. What has changed is Rolex is putting more time in precise regulation at the factory lately.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 03:01 PM   #15
Zackwheat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgook View Post
At night sit it vertical on the crown to lose some time. Lying flat will gain time. This works on my Daytona.
This ☝🏼
Zackwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 03:39 PM   #16
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
If your day is planned within 2.5 seconds you need to chill out and relax a little.

10 and out
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 07:49 PM   #17
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXAPPP View Post
If your day is planned within 2.5 seconds you need to chill out and relax a little.

10 and out
I like, and agree with how you think.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 09:14 PM   #18
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not sure as each watch would be different. I had a Tudor Black Bay with the ETA movement that was 17 seconds fast a day. The AD offered to send it in to have it regulated but I passed. They would not do it as long as it was under warranty. Lived with it for several months and then traded it. Not because of the timing issues but because I wanted something else.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 11:53 PM   #19
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXAPPP View Post

10 and out
Quite frankly I was really interested in hearing the responses of the many Rolex wearers here. Some owners are very laid back. Others are fanatical to the point of needing a tutorial on screwdriver size before removing a link or how to approach the front counter of a RSC like buying soup from the Soup Nazi. I thought it would be fun and I also learned something as well regarding the orientation of the watch at night.
Old 2 November 2018, 11:57 PM   #20
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Yes it is and I've had three different models that were -2/+2 but not without regulation within the first year of ownership. Two of those three, both DJ41s were produced after Rolex announced their enhanced accuracy standard.
Old 3 November 2018, 12:55 AM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I sent one watch in at 11+. Cost $75 for shipping. The real question is whether the cost is worth it too you? Frankly I don't think the adjustment was worth the $75! In the future I'll use a local independent.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 01:03 AM   #22
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
I'm fine with anything within the limits of COSC. Outside that, I would have it regulated.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 05:43 AM   #23
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I never check it but if it's something like a minute or two per day than it becomes noticeable and I will have it serviced
Old 3 November 2018, 06:08 AM   #24
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

The explorer I typically wear runs around +2 which is great. If it was something like +6 or so, I probably would leave it alone. It would have to get beyond that for me to start worrying about it. I don't monitor my watches anymore. I check it on the time grapher when I buy them, then I wear it a bit and check it again. If everything seems reasonable, I don't think about it again. I reset the time maybe once every two months, whenever it seems a little out of whack.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 06:16 AM   #25
R!$
Banned

sell it and buy a g shock
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 06:20 AM   #26
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Plus minus 5 seconds.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 06:23 AM   #27
fewwords
Banned

I‘m still fine with +-15 sec/day
fewwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 07:17 AM   #28
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by fewwords View Post
I‘m still fine with +-15 sec/day
That is too much for me for a Rolex. I would send it in above +/- 8s. 2.5s is fine.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 07:27 AM   #29
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Just checked my Exp II today. Now +1.9 sec after 10 days.

I was not going to do anything at +2.5. As someone above mentioned, spending $75 for insured shipping would be a waste of money unless it went past +/- 10 or was erratic from day to day. For the last two nights I have let it sit on its crown. I will continue doing this and see what the trend is.

I enjoy reading all your comments and particular results.
Old 3 November 2018, 07:28 AM   #30
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:

It can still change. My GMT went from +2 to -3 sec daily in the first year and now rebounded back to -1.
I wear it all the time, don’t put away at night.

So I’d say just watch it’s rate by measuring the error once a week maybe. It’s fun to watch the rate development and nobody can (does) do it for you watch but yourself.
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote