The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 February 2019, 07:48 AM   #61
TheMethod
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
I respect your opinions, but I don’t get the anger. If you are not won over by a watch, online or in person, don’t buy it. If you don’t think it’s worth the effort to see it in person, don’t make the effort.

Personally, I am not attracted enough to the chrono or time and date models to travel very far to see them (no Boutiques or AD in Atlanta), but that doesn’t anger me.

Somewhat similarly, I didn’t have to see the current Rolex Air King to know I wasn’t interested enough to visit an AD.

But since I am traveling to Singapore this weekend, I do plan to visit the AP Boutique and check out these watches.

BTW, I bought my 15202ST from a Boutique last year. I did not have to buy other watches to “get access”.
Which boutique was this? I went to Vegas, NYC, and Bal Harbour in Miami, all 3 said there were wait lists.
TheMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 07:56 AM   #62
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMethod View Post
Which boutique was this? I went to Vegas, NYC, and Bal Harbour in Miami, all 3 said there were wait lists.

Bal Harbour, and there was a waitlist. But they never suggested I had to buy something to get my watch. And I didn’t.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 08:02 AM   #63
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Bal Harbour, and there was a waitlist. But they never suggested I had to buy something to get my watch. And I didn’t.
Lucky man. Did you just happen to be in the area, stopped by and they had it there in the case? When was this??
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 08:11 AM   #64
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Lucky man. Did you just happen to be in the area, stopped by and they had it there in the case? When was this??

I did not buy it out of the case. I was on a waitlist for about 6 months.
Old 7 February 2019, 08:12 AM   #65
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I did not buy it out of the case. I was on a waitlist for about 6 months.
And imagine you had a history with them of some sort? Meaning you had bought other pieces prior? Was this recently?
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 08:15 AM   #66
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Jeez, we are seriously derailing this thread. I was a first time customer. Put on Waitlist in December 2017, I believe. Received watch in early July.

Any more questions about this, please PM me. But really, that’s it. No previous history, no referral from a VIP customer.
Old 7 February 2019, 10:23 AM   #67
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Thanks all for your compliments. Happy to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
this was great to read and fair and even generous i thought. well done and thanks for the photos especially. my favourite is the white dial too, it looks so fresh. it seems odd to me that they concentrate on watches on straps. nothing on a bracelet. i understand that is the RO line's turf but isn't that what people want these days? luxury stainless steel watches (or PM versions of same) with some water resistance that fit their travel lifestyle? i collect watches and besides making an exception for the big pilot, watches on straps don't work for me here in humid sydney.

i'm not saying it is a design that lends itself to a bracelet, but i would have imagined a bracelet is a requirement for many buyers.
I do not think the case design allow the addition of a bracelet. It's basically a very dressy watch but with a "sporty" appearance. The strap is quite comfortable though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Movements look a lot nicer in your latest set of pics. They don't look bad on your wrist either.

I can't wait to see IRL. I am not a buyer for that type of watch but I don't think they are the train wreck everybody makes them up to be.
Actually they wears very big due to the thin bezel. Not a train wreck but surely it can be improved esp dial-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Excellent report, Ben. I'm hoping to see them on Friday and if so will add my own view. Must admit I'm on the fence from pics at the moment. I'd never go for the time only one as I dislike the big plain dial, the chono is the only one I might be interested in. However I continue to have an irrational dislike for non-integrated case to strap, so I suspect with that big ugly (in my eyes) gap its a no go.

I will be interested to compare the dial 'pop' and sharpness to my Omega Seamaster PO.
The watches in person looks better, esp the white dial time/date version but legibility is a real issue. I suspect they may look better in natural lighting. As the boutique is inside a shooting mall, I couldn't actually shoot them in natural light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Many thanks Ben, the dials look too sterile for me, no warmth or character, and surprised to hear the chrono pushers are not smooth, my 44 ones are a joy, plus the movement is not as pretty as many chronos either, looks more industrial than artistic, which is another missed opp.
It's kind of stiff when pushed, more so then my ROC but about the same as my previous RG44 I have to say. I was kind of expecting a buttery smooth push action given how long they have spent the time to come up with the movement.
Old 7 February 2019, 10:49 AM   #68
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
However I continue to have an irrational dislike for non-integrated case to strap, so I suspect with that big ugly (in my eyes) gap its a no go.
I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one. This is one of my great bugbears and rules out most watches on a strap for me
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 11:46 AM   #69
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing the balanced and clear write up - i know the lighting wasn’t ideal but visibility of those darker dials does seem a bit challenging nonetheless.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 12:04 PM   #70
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
This watch could very well cause AP to fire its ceo and get bought out. It was a big risk and I dont think it is going to work out.

Might be extreme but when the economy cools and the result is left it could be. It may still be an AP but it certainly is so far removed from their success it is more like the bastard cousin.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 01:25 PM   #71
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Seems to me, after looking at the watches in the metal, you confirmed what everyone was saying based on the photos alone.

Yet, FHB says don't judge the watches based on the photos alone. Hahahaha
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 02:15 PM   #72
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
no way....i genuinely dislike it. i think if you're gonna part with 25,000 CHF on a 3 harder....you should just love the watch inherently........it should not have to "grow on you." would rather get a Millenary 4010 get a deep discount.
Old 7 February 2019, 02:16 PM   #73
jed11
"TRF" Member

Great write up. Thank you! I can’t imagine these flying of the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 02:34 PM   #74
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Looks great, thanks for the write up and pictures. AP has never been one to shy away from taking risks and controversial designs, it's not a brand for everyone. As far AP fans,the design will come around and people will get it. Leaps and bounds improvement over the Jules line and a great new in-house movement as well.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 04:56 PM   #75
JonnyBCisco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one. This is one of my great bugbears and rules out most watches on a strap for me
Yup. Me too.
JonnyBCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 07:51 PM   #76
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Ben, unless I missed it, I don't think I saw you mention anything about the concave outer and inner crystal surfaces and the effect that gives. Any thoughts first hand? Do you think the dial does really 'pop'?
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 07:53 PM   #77
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Ben, unless I missed it, I don't think I saw you mention anything about the concave outer and inner crystal surfaces and the effect that gives. Any thoughts first hand? Do you think the dial does really 'pop'?
Yes, I notice the curved crystal. At an angle, it has an interesting visual effect but I don't think it really enhance the *Pop-ness" by much, non am I much excited about this design.

Old 7 February 2019, 08:04 PM   #78
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
This watch could very well cause AP to fire its ceo and get bought out. It was a big risk and I dont think it is going to work out.

Highly unlikely.
11:59s will only account for 2k out of 45k pieces produced annually, over the next 3 years.
Pending revisions of the 3-hander dials during or after that period, the range may always be a bit-part player within the total output, along with increased production of the in-house chrono for the ROCs, there is probably no spare capacity to produce more without a corresponding drop in the RO lines, if demand wanes for the latter and increases for the Codes.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 09:10 PM   #79
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

Might be extreme but when the economy cools and the result is left it could be. It may still be an AP but it certainly is so far removed from their success it is more like the bastard cousin.

That’s a ridiculous suggestion regarding Francois Bennahmias - do you think he was the only one on the board who approved Code 11.59? No one yet knows what the success of the new model will ultimately be and virtually everyone who has seen the watch irl says that the case design is stunning. The tourbillon version shows that AP are on to something with the new watch.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:14 PM   #80
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
Well I also saw the same watches albeit in MBS boutique in Singapore on Monday this week...the staff put quite a show with the presentation, covered watches with a cloth so I could not see them all at once, and reveal one by one after giving a pretty protracted pitch on how unique these are, and that they should not be judged by the looks alone (at which point I almost fall off the chair from laughter).

I saw both black and while dial time-only and the blue dial chrono.

All are pretty horrendous in my view, as in the totality of the product; I said so to the staff (in gentler terms), and they seemed to be collecting the feedback from their regular customers as all listened attentively and asking more of leading questions about what i like or disliked, how would i compare these with other brands/watch models I like etc etc.

Overall, these leave much to be desired and definitely are not worth the price tags on them, by a long mile. Yes the are well executed, cases are sort of interesting, movements are looking good and my most favorite part of these watches remain to be the double-sided alligator straps, which are excellent.

The point is, these are ALL the things that anybody will take for granted from a brand of AP statue and reputation, and for the price they better be all of that, and MUCH MUCH more. However, they are NOT - the final product of this un-human effort (if you believe the CEO) is a very run-off-the-mill offering, compete with a silly case size (as in both diameter and thickness proportions), weird lugs and cut-outs in the midle case that will collect grime and dirt, and rather strange double-domed crystal that distorts the dial and hands and makes the the watch look sort of clownish and gimmicky, especially when viewed from the side at deeper angles.

These are just factual observations, and don't have anything to do with my taste etc; I therefore won't even mention the easily-forgotten, cheap looking dials and terrible fonts..ok I did mention it but for Christ's sake, this is what one would look at all day everyday, not the underside of the strap!!! and no amount of lacquering can make these better.

Anyways, I wish AP good luck with these - and if they sell them by truckload, so much is the better but it is definitely NOT a collector's line up and prob will have a short-lived run as many of AP's non RO attempts in the past.
korneevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:29 PM   #81
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think, like with the Nautilus's distinct design, a round sports watch was always going to struggle with AP buyers who are so conditioned to the famed Octagon. The PP Pilot 5522 also drew a lot of criticism and the inevitable comparisons to cheaper brands as well, like Zenith, but they priced it so competitively and frankly cheaply, like Rolex often do, and that created a scramble to get the watches despite the aesthetic criticism.

And I think AP should have done the same here, made it in SS first and offered Rolex and Omega buyers a chance to grab an AP at a great price. That seems to be the new magic formula, not putting the technical and detailing blood and sweat into your PM watches, but not making them distinctive, and then charging full whack for this un-unique privilege. Not savvy at all.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:33 PM   #82
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by korneevy View Post
and rather strange double-domed crystal that distorts the dial and hands and makes the the watch look sort of clownish and gimmicky, especially when viewed from the side at deeper angles.
Now that's a catch 22 shame when viewing it from the side gives the best vantage of the case and finishing which are it's best features for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:52 PM   #83
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Just like on their otherwise appealing RO chronos,

I can not get past the 4:30 date, It is deal breaker out of the gate.
Old 8 February 2019, 05:23 AM   #84
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Yes, I notice the curved crystal. At an angle, it has an interesting visual effect but I don't think it really enhance the *Pop-ness" by much, non am I much excited about this design.

Thanks Ben. What (in pics at least) looks very odd is that bulbous looking extremity on the far side of the dial at nine o’clock. If it appears like that in real life it will be a major turn off.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 06:03 AM   #85
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
That’s a ridiculous suggestion regarding Francois Bennahmias - do you think he was the only one on the board who approved Code 11.59? No one yet knows what the success of the new model will ultimately be and virtually everyone who has seen the watch irl says that the case design is stunning. The tourbillon version shows that AP are on to something with the new watch.

Agree - there has been a lot of positive gains for AP over the last few years and they seem more in demand than ever. Not quite Daytona or nautilus levels but gaining popularity. One can speculate if this is organic or produced, but a poorly received watch launch is just a small part of the overall picture. If they listen to feedback and work their aesthetic magic on them it has the potential to be a great collection.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 08:39 AM   #86
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

awesome review and I find this more credible than any other online source...

I get what AP is trying to do..but some of the design decisions are questionable...(size for one...material...pricing)...

good luck to them...
Old 8 February 2019, 08:40 AM   #87
JonnyBCisco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 White
Honestly, these watches get uglier every time I see them. All that time, work, and effort and this is what they can up with. It actually makes me angry how ugly they are when they could have put that effort into something beautiful. Nobody in the AP orbit wants leather straps. They want watches that are recognizable as APs from across the room. I hope they are horrible sellers and AP learns their lesson.
JonnyBCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 01:36 PM   #88
DasKptl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by korneevy View Post
. . . weird lugs and cut-outs in the midle case that will collect grime and dirt . . .

Yes, that was exactly my thought when I saw those weird lugs. A dirt collector! It will take real efforts to make those lugs clean.
DasKptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 01:12 AM   #89
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Even with Ben's great review and photos, these are just not for me. The one good thing I saw is the new movement of the date model, everything else are horrible IMHO. Maybe if they put a grand feu dial on date only model, and remove the date window, would've been much better.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 05:08 AM   #90
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I am seriously concerned about the lugs and how they are connected to the bezel only.

Imo only a matter of time that we see 11.59 where the lugs are bent upwards because they are only attached onto that tiny bezel.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote