The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 August 2017, 01:29 AM   #151
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That's why it's fantasy

I'm terrible at watching because I keep saying crap like that and my wife is like shut up tom. Also the fact that the night king aced that one dragon from long range but couldn't get the shot off from seemingly right next to the landed dragon is strange but I digress.
Even less realistic and probably the only thing I didn't enjoy about this episode was when Jon's uncle saved him. Unless I am missing something, are we to believe that the uncle has been following them the whole time or just that they happened to cross paths at the same time? I think they could have written a better way to save Jon.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 01:31 AM   #152
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Even less realistic and probably the only thing I didn't enjoy about this episode was when Jon's uncle saved him. Unless I am missing something, are we to believe that the uncle has been following them the whole time or just that they happened to cross paths at the same time? I think they could have written a better way to save Jon.
even my wife was like wtf! Who is he and where did he come from?

I'm sure there is something I'm missing as I don't know the storyline as well as others.
Old 22 August 2017, 03:19 AM   #153
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

And now they have dragon. Not sure where they stashed all those big chains. Obvious plot holes.

Benjen is a Nights Watch ranger, an inspiration for Job to take the Black. He left one day and never came back. Helped Bran last year, Been roaming around, half wight, never really explained. Another plot hole.
MrTwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 03:26 AM   #154
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwi View Post
And now they have dragon. Not sure where they stashed all those big chains. Obvious plot holes.

Benjen is a Nights Watch ranger, an inspiration for Job to take the Black. He left one day and never came back. Helped Bran last year, Been roaming around, half wight, never really explained. Another plot hole.
Yeah, don't get that either, what is the point? Jon could have escaped with the rest of them on the Dragon, why the whole point of him being dragged in the water? The only thing I can think of is it made the queen realize she loved him
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 03:47 AM   #155
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
even my wife was like wtf! Who is he and where did he come from?

I'm sure there is something I'm missing as I don't know the storyline as well as others.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Yeah, don't get that either, what is the point? Jon could have escaped with the rest of them on the Dragon, why the whole point of him being dragged in the water? The only thing I can think of is it made the queen realize she loved him
There is a "good" White Walker in the books names Cold Hands. We do not know his identity or how much of a wight/White Walker/Other he really is. We do know that he is dressed like a Ranger from the Night's Watch. Some people believe he is Benjen Stark - Jon's Uncle. I think the book has just melted Benjen/Cold Hands into the same character to help condense the GOT universe. One major difference being that Cold Hands rides an elk, not a horse.

Regarding the chain, I say giant plot hole. Apparently, the battle actually took place in an old, frozen port and you can see a dock. The chain would have been present when ships were anchoring/docking. However, I did not notice a dock.
Old 22 August 2017, 03:50 AM   #156
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I was saying before how if Dany has nuclear weapons then there is no real drama or suspense and now the Scorpion has shown itself weak they needed a new weapon, the ice javelin, and its only fair they have a dragon too. I suspect it is Viserion so I doubt he can take down Drogon, and Rhaegal ought to be Jon's ride.

Benjen coming back to save Jon made sense, he was also used to draw Jon down to his first death, but he did the same with riding to save Sansa so it's a bit repetitive, as is both Jaime and Jon almost drowning while dragons are around but I suppose filming must take precedence over writing now so can't complain. Overall another cracking and enjoyable episode.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 04:00 AM   #157
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
This season has been great. I know it is TV, but why didn't the Dragons attack the knight king and his henchmen? I get it does not work for the way the story plays out, but logically, cut the head of the snake....If all three dragons attacked and killed the leaders all of the dead army would be toast.
Dany doesn't know who the Night King is, and she was still sceptical they exist at all even after the "cave of convenience" spelt it all out. It was right she protect Jon first. The NK also took out a flying firing dragon first over a sitting dragon so that made sense to me too.
Old 22 August 2017, 04:06 AM   #158
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Dany doesn't know who the Night King is, and she was still sceptical they exist at all even after the "cave of convenience" spelt it all out. It was right she protect Jon first. The NK also took out a flying firing dragon first over a sitting dragon so that made sense to me too.
I get it, but if I was Jon or any of the guys she was rescuing, I am yelling, torch those blued eyed ****** over there.....saves everyone and the dragons
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 04:13 AM   #159
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I get it, but if I was Jon or any of the guys she was rescuing, I am yelling, torch those blued eyed ****** over there.....saves everyone and the dragons
Wouldn't they just throw their ice spears when attacked? An all out attack could have gone wrong.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 05:07 AM   #160
encarter13
"TRF" Member

https://gfycat.com/ImpossibleBowedAustraliancattledog

Anyone notice anything hilarious? Poor extra got a little screen time and they forgot to add his CGI enemies!
Old 22 August 2017, 05:56 AM   #161
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
https://gfycat.com/ImpossibleBowedAustraliancattledog

Anyone notice anything hilarious? Poor extra got a little screen time and they forgot to add his CGI enemies!
LOL!
It's a small enough fault to be easily missed, I didn't see it while watching the show.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 06:08 AM   #162
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
This season seems too rushed and convenient. In season one the trip from Winterfell to Kings Landing was a month. Now everyone seems to travel across Westeros overnight (even without dragons).

Also, why didn't Jon bring any dragon glass with him behind the wall, maybe some arrow tips to kill the walkers.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 06:17 AM   #163
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Pretty sure Kit will not be getting that kind of direction for another year at least.
Old 22 August 2017, 06:19 AM   #164
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
This season seems too rushed and convenient. In season one the trip from Winterfell to Kings Landing was a month. Now everyone seems to travel across Westeros overnight (even without dragons).

Also, why didn't Jon bring any dragon glass with him behind the wall, maybe some arrow tips to kill the walkers.
Well their mission was not to engage the Wights but secretly capture an undead and take to Cersei and Dany as proof. But yes everything is moving at lightening speed, it's as if the author has given up and the show wraps in 7 epis.
Old 22 August 2017, 06:37 AM   #165
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think the ones that needed dragon glass had dragon glass....Thurmond axe was different and I assumed it was made out of dragon glass. Jorah used two dragon glass daggers and The Hound had some similar daggers. Jon did not need it because he had Valyrian Steel. Beric and Thoros had flaming swords so they did not need it either. I also think it was proven when The Hound smashes the wight with the hammer and it gets back up. He then throws the hammer down and gets the dragon glass dagger out. I do agree that they needed arrows....
Old 22 August 2017, 06:41 AM   #166
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:

Quote:
Well their mission was not to engage the Wights but secretly capture an undead and take to Cersei and Dany as proof. But yes everything is moving at lightening speed, it's as if the author has given up and the show wraps in 7 epis.
Yeah, I agree. While it is nice to have all the major characters and their storylines coming all together for the finale, it does have the feeling of being rushed and too convenient. What made this show different from every other was it was never so "tidy"
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 10:10 AM   #167
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

I just want to know how the White Walkers got those big-a&$ chains on Viserion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 10:34 AM   #168
AP8ESQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Agreed about the plot holes but it was still an exciting episode. The chains coming from nowhere, the wights being able to apparently deep dive to connect the chains to Viserion, Benjen's fortuitous return, Gendry's making it back to the wall in what a couple of hours, the fact that the night king was apparently a world champion javelin thrower (not to mention an ice spear killing a dragon - leaving aside any night king voodoo - it was not a large weapon... no bigger than the scorpion bolt that hit Drogon...), the failure to listen to Beric who apparently has solved the entire enigma of the white walkers (which by the way the wights were never attached to a white walker before and disintegrated at the walker's death - see hardhome - no wights fell when Jon took out that walker...).

Leaving that and more aside it was all in all pretty solid and the polar bear wrecked some extras and Thoros!
AP8ESQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 10:54 AM   #169
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP8ESQ View Post
Agreed about the plot holes but it was still an exciting episode. The chains coming from nowhere, the wights being able to apparently deep dive to connect the chains to Viserion, Benjen's fortuitous return, Gendry's making it back to the wall in what a couple of hours, the fact that the night king was apparently a world champion javelin thrower (not to mention an ice spear killing a dragon - leaving aside any night king voodoo - it was not a large weapon... no bigger than the scorpion bolt that hit Drogon...), the failure to listen to Beric who apparently has solved the entire enigma of the white walkers (which by the way the wights were never attached to a white walker before and disintegrated at the walker's death - see hardhome - no wights fell when Jon took out that walker...).

Leaving that and more aside it was all in all pretty solid and the polar bear wrecked some extras and Thoros!
Your last point about the wights under a WW's command dying was a major plot point and suggests that killing the NK will kill all the army. At Hardhome, Jon was in a moving duel with the WW and so his brigade may well have been further away so we didn't see them die.

Most of the gaps in the story could easily be set up with a small scene here or dialogue there but time and budget, and they have spent big this season, are now of the essence to get to the endgame so I understand them not bothering with these little things that are tangential to the main plotlines. Now that we don't have GRRM, GOT has taken on a more direct and cinematic vibe.
Old 22 August 2017, 11:07 AM   #170
AP8ESQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Your last point about the wights under a WW's command dying was a major plot point and suggests that killing the NK will kill all the army. At Hardhome, Jon was in a moving duel with the WW and so his brigade may well have been further away so we didn't see them die.

Most of the gaps in the story could easily be set up with a small scene here or dialogue there but time and budget, and they have spent big this season, are now of the essence to get to the endgame so I understand them not bothering with these little things that are tangential to the main plotlines. Now that we don't have GRRM, GOT has taken on a more direct and cinematic vibe.
Agreed- it's the setup to the eventual end but with a show that has otherwise been meticulous in its storylines and development, the rush to the finish being blamed on budget just doesn't sit well with me at least. This show has to be making hbo a killing, no? They could have at least given us the same 10 episode seasons and thrown in some of the clues to the keys we need to focus on...

Or maybe I am just distraught because the end is closing in on us and, between you and me, I still miss Ned. Cheers!
AP8ESQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 03:10 PM   #171
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Where'd the Army of the Dead get those chains to drag Viserion outta da water???

Hardhome Depot, of course!!!

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 10:53 PM   #172
Too Old
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Far too rushed, getting as daft as Twin Peaks new series.
Can't stop watching both though!!
Too Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 11:15 PM   #173
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP8ESQ View Post
Agreed- it's the setup to the eventual end but with a show that has otherwise been meticulous in its storylines and development, the rush to the finish being blamed on budget just doesn't sit well with me at least. This show has to be making hbo a killing, no? They could have at least given us the same 10 episode seasons and thrown in some of the clues to the keys we need to focus on...

Or maybe I am just distraught because the end is closing in on us and, between you and me, I still miss Ned. Cheers!
I was going to say I miss Gendry, but he's just rowed back into our lives and his storyline certainly wasn't rushed!

The first 5 seasons were really ASOIAF, the last two have been pure GOT. So what we have lacked in stronger characterisation and snappier dialogue has been made up for by more dramatic and cinematic scenes. I think Dan and Dave are worn out and want to bring this to an end, while HBO would happily make five more seasons! I can't blame them, this takes up so much of their time and they don't have GRRM as back up any more. At least there will probably be a few spin offs after this. I think a young Ned/Rhaegar/birth of Jon is one idea... They were seven, facing three...
Old 23 August 2017, 04:34 AM   #174
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
wait, the fantasy story about dragons, giant wolves, walking dead and has endless plot holes is all of the sudden being called rushed? and people are questioning how giant chains were found???

sorry folks. no matter how good HBO is, this is still an adaptation from a series that has taken nearly two decades and is not still complete.

for those that have read the books, it has always been rushed.

it is still an awesome show. lets just enjoy it.

well, that is my advice anyway.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 04:56 AM   #175
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
wait, the fantasy story about dragons, giant wolves, walking dead and has endless plot holes is all of the sudden being called rushed? and people are questioning how giant chains were found???

sorry folks. no matter how good HBO is, this is still an adaptation from a series that has taken nearly two decades and is not still complete.

for those that have read the books, it has always been rushed.

it is still an awesome show. lets just enjoy it.

well, that is my advice anyway.
I agree Seth. It's simply entertainment. I just sit back and enjoy the show without picking it apart.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 05:49 AM   #176
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
and people are questioning how giant chains were found.
Its not so much that they found giant chains,

rather, its what other stuff have they got stashed away "just in case"

must have a big warehouse. You never know when those evil men from the south are going to kidnap your children.

Its all POV
MrTwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 05:52 AM   #177
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Its not so much that they found giant chains,

rather, its what other stuff have they got stashed away "just in case"

must have a big warehouse. You never know when those evil men from the south are going to kidnap your children.

Its all POV

OK.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 06:42 AM   #178
Cobain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
I agree Seth. It's simply entertainment. I just sit back and enjoy the show without picking it apart.
I agree, and disagree.

They are made to immersed us in this world, where most of the enjoyment comes from. That immersion breaks when they pull stuff lik huge metal chains outofnowhere lol.

But i agree that sometimes gotta turn that brain off to enjoy a good show or series (like John Wick).
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 08:18 AM   #179
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Guys, they are near Eastwatch-by-the-SEA... little clue there as to how they got those dockside chains, we don't need every little thing spelt out now as that epi was already one of the longest ever, and next week's will be the longest.
Old 23 August 2017, 09:08 AM   #180
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Looking forward to the next episode. We have really enjoyed this series and especially this year. Do not know what will happen next, but I hope Cersei gets eaten or torched by a Dragon soon...or Arya can take her out.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote