The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 August 2017, 07:06 PM   #1
Wildy
"TRF" Member

Electric cars and your watch

Was thinking about this recently. With more and more car manufacturers going electric and cars having more powerful batteries, could this have an effect on your watch ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 August 2017, 09:44 PM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Why?

And if so, imagine what this would do to the human body.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 02:20 AM   #3
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've spent a fair amount of time around electric cars with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 03:19 AM   #4
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
emf fields. i sold my prius and i feel a lot better now. it was affecting my body. unfortunately i have had poor luck with cars. teslas are shielded in the front. i think us regs should definately specify that the whole passenger compartment be emf shielded as we move towards an electrifying future.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 03:27 AM   #5
Dumas1012
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
What symptoms did you have? I was looking at the Prius Prime and have a 9 and 2 year old girl. I definitely will not purchase the Prime if it's going to affect my kids.
Dumas1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 05:06 AM   #6
swils8610

Wow. I've been running a Toyota dealership for 12 years. We sell every Prius we can get. I've never heard of anyone having health issues because of the car. What kind of symptoms did you have?

Old 23 August 2017, 05:13 AM   #7
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Uhm.....
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 08:40 AM   #8
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
emf fields. i sold my prius and i feel a lot better now. it was affecting my body. unfortunately i have had poor luck with cars. teslas are shielded in the front. i think us regs should definately specify that the whole passenger compartment be emf shielded as we move towards an electrifying future.
I've had a Prius for years. A friend has put 300,000 miles on his. I've never heard of any health issues that could be remotely attributed to emf from a Prius.

Are you certain something else in your lifestyle wasn't causing your problems? What evidence do you have that the car caused you problems?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 08:58 AM   #9
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Interesting regarding the emf fields. My wife drove a Prius for years. She loved that car. She would still be driving it but she totalled it in 2015. She drives a Rav4 hybrid now. I talked her into something a little bigger for safety.

Curious to the potential health risks? Do you have a study or something you can share with us?
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 10:49 AM   #10
breitlings
Banned

"The International Agency for Research on Cancer has already categorized low frequency EMF radiation a class 2B possible carcinogen (source). However, harmful effects of EMF radiation are not limited to cancer.Jul 27, 2017" -- google rich snippet when searching emf health risks.

first. i should note i put tons of miles on my prius and it was always pretty reliable. i did have a few times where she didnt want to start in las vegas in the middle of summer when she had about 80k miles. i do know techies, green guys and people who are economical love the prius and i am sure they will sell all of them. i also know there are countries that regulate emf in passenger areas and the prius in those regions is delivered with emf shielding.

i used to frequent priuschat often during my ownership and there were at least five members (iirc 10 or more) who reported getting cancer. a few of them actually said they sued toyota. im not sure if they won or what have you. apparently emf affects children more than grown ups and the rear left seat in a gen 2 had pretty high readings with of a very erratic nature. emf occurs whenever a charge is put thru a wire, the field changes depending on the wave/signal of the electricity. the gen 2 prius sends quite a bit thru wires on the left hand side near the door. inside the cabin. the steering (electronic motor) is also fairly close to the driver and finally under braking there is even higher readings. im not an EE but did tale major track physics classes which did delve into this matter. also i am not a doctor. i do know the state of florida buried high tension power lines partly because of fears of causing cancer in children and thar there are some studies that suggest emf causes cancer especially in children.

on pc there are several people who conducted research of the readings. no one said there wasnt any emf. even the biggest prius supporters claimed it was no different than using a hairdryer while standing infront of a microwave. that however just examines emf as a vector and not a wave form, which the peius emf is different than what you normally find such as background earth emf. no one who has measured it has ever claimed there is no emf measured or less than conventional cars. just that emf hasn't been officially shown to cause health issues or that it isnt a significant number.

now for me. i would drive across country in it several times. i almost dont want to mention it but symptoms were my knees hurt and a mild ED. after i sold the prius both went away and in general had much more energy. my quality of life increased dramatically. i felt like i was 19.

everything imho is a cost benefit and i think hybrids and ev has a place but shielding should be insralled and i wouldnt get another unless it had its cabin emf shielded. as for evidence i just have pragmatic experience but its likely not enough to convinxe anyone of causation but i wouls suggest people consider as much research as possible before putting their kids in an unshielded ev or hybrid.

i write almost all posts on an iphone woth spellcheck off.
Old 23 August 2017, 10:51 AM   #11
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Uhm.....
Mmhmm.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 11:02 AM   #12
tamiya
"TRF" Member

If anybody's concerned about EMF then I'd assume you won't be using a cellular phone, living within 30km of a cellular tower nor high voltage lines...?
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 11:11 AM   #13
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
If anybody's concerned about EMF then I'd assume you won't be using a cellular phone, living within 30km of a cellular tower nor high voltage lines...?
look up the emf readings of a prius. also consider the waveform not just the vector but your point is talen there is quite a few sources of emf including the earth itself. if you like your hybrid or ev. keep it. if you want to ignore my post fine. but i can tell you i feel 100% better not driving a hybrid. i also likely wouldnt live under a cell tower or radio tower or high tension power lines.
Old 23 August 2017, 01:00 PM   #14
swils8610

It's very interesting info. I don't doubt any of the issues you have experienced. It's the first time I've heard of health issues related to a Prius or any hybrid/electric car. It's interesting being that the industry is headed towards hybrid/electric vehicles.

Old 23 August 2017, 03:01 PM   #15
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Pacemakers are fine.
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 03:30 PM   #16
Demosthene
"TRF" Member

Electromagnetic hypersensitivity is essentially a psychogenic effect and not something that any Electric car owner or potential buyer or manufacturer should be worried about.

It's a nocebo effect which is why individuals feel better once they get rid of their hybrid cars for example.
Demosthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 06:19 PM   #17
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
if you like your hybrid or ev. keep it. if you want to ignore my post fine. but i can tell you i feel 100% better not driving a hybrid.
I'm with Ye, I too feel better not driving a hybrid

my weekend toy predates any hybrid... and the silicon chip by a decade totally raw mechanical experience, it's all levers & hydraulics only back then. Don't even have electronic ignition, got contact breaker points in both dizzy and the fuel pump.

If a neutron bomb gets dropped nuking every electronic device, this will still run

Quote:
i also likely wouldnt live under a cell tower or radio tower or high tension power lines.
all those it's pretty obvious as you can easily see them

But you don't want to be inline between 2 cell towers either where they've got microwave relay link (they're parabolic dishes with front cover that look like white drum kit)... these things are like 1/2/3kW and if you're a bird that gets in their beam that's the same as sitting inside your microwave oven!!
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 09:16 PM   #18
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
From this NIH article https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...lds-fact-sheet

No mechanism by which ELF-EMFs or radiofrequency radiation could cause cancer has been identified. Unlike high-energy (ionizing) radiation, EMFs in the non-ionizing part of the electromagnetic spectrum cannot damage DNA or cells directly.

and

Numerous epidemiologic studies and comprehensive reviews of the scientific literature have evaluated possible associations between exposure to non-ionizing EMFs and risk of cancer in children (12–14). (Magnetic fields are the component of non-ionizing EMFs that are usually studied in relation to their possible health effects.) Most of the research has focused on leukemia and brain tumors, the two most common cancers in children. Studies have examined associations of these cancers with living near power lines, with magnetic fields in the home, and with exposure of parents to high levels of magnetic fields in the workplace. No consistent evidence for an association between any source of non-ionizing EMF and cancer has been found.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 09:30 PM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great, just great! I just bought a new PHEV and this tear added a Panerai and a SD43 to the collection ... Now I have to worry about my health! I guess I'm screwed
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 10:25 PM   #20
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I don't ever see myself owning a hybrid or electric car so I'm safe.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 10:50 PM   #21
TSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660/16710
My daily has been this eGolf for almost the last three years. It's a full BEV like a mini-Tesla, and way too much fun to turn back now. Guess I'm a goner for sure.

TSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 01:44 AM   #22
TheVTCGuy
Banned

I have owned hybrids for the last ten years... I haven't noticed any ill effects

Ill effects

Ill effects

Ill effects

Old 24 August 2017, 06:29 AM   #23
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

Electric cars and your watch

Clicked on this thread expecting pictures and came out disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 06:34 AM   #24
dmash
"TRF" Member

this thread reminds me of the guy's brother in 'Better Call Saul'.

dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 07:07 AM   #25
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I have been driving a Fiat 500e as daily for 2.5 yrs now.

So far it affected my watches in a way that ... I need to use my watch to time my charge sometimes which I have never done before I own an EV.

They are a lot of fun to drive. I like the instant response and single forward speed (no need to wait for shifting)

And having the sticker for carpool lane does help a lot of time. I will probably look for another plug-in hybrid / EV after handing the 500e back.

stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 07:38 AM   #26
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Nice stock I would have loved to buy an electric, like a volt, or bolt, but living in a condo I have nowhere to charge it I hope that changes soon and gives us condo dwellers an option to purchase all EVs.
Old 24 August 2017, 07:48 AM   #27
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Nice stock I would have loved to buy an electric, like a volt, or bolt, but living in a condo I have nowhere to charge it I hope that changes soon and gives us condo dwellers an option to purchase all EVs.
The Volt is going to be discontinued. Maybe they will be available for a good price. Here on the east coast with 2 dollar/gallon gas, I have no desire to give up my gas powered vehicles. I know fuel costs in California are onerous. Lived out there for a year.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 08:32 AM   #28
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
While I am not doubting that some people may be sensitive to EMF, if there were a larger problem regarding people and watches the entire planet would know about it by now.

Quote:
Tesla’s global fleet reaches 4 billion electric miles driven ahead of Model 3 launch
https://electrek.co/2017/03/20/tesla...ahead-model-3/
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 08:42 AM   #29
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
The Volt is going to be discontinued. Maybe they will be available for a good price. Here on the east coast with 2 dollar/gallon gas, I have no desire to give up my gas powered vehicles. I know fuel costs in California are onerous. Lived out there for a year.
GM *may* discontinue Volt in 2020. The thing is EV technology will change a lot in 3 years. Tesla 3 will be out for at least 2 years (hopefully), Bolt may be due for an update, Fiat 500e may already goes belly up judging by how bad Fiat is sell here (LOL), Nissan Leaf will probably has update as well cause its long in the tooth even by now, then Hyundai and Kia? Even BMW e plug-in hybrid is getting popular now ...

So 3 yrs is a long time for EV technology development.
Old 24 August 2017, 08:43 AM   #30
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
While I am not doubting that some people may be sensitive to EMF, if there were a larger problem regarding people and watches the entire planet would know about it by now.

https://electrek.co/2017/03/20/tesla...ahead-model-3/
I think another problem is how the utility infrastructure is going to support this growth in electricity demand to charge cars, Apple watch, Garmin Fenix, fitness tracker, etc :)