The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 August 2017, 12:59 PM   #31
indy78
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233 Serti
Chubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyKoffee View Post
My wife's ring is about 30k and we insure it through Chubb. The rates at Chubb are higher than normal. We pay about $400 per year. The reason we chose Chubb is that if something happens to the ring, they don't mess around with replacement crap. They just cut you a check for the amount on the appraisal/policy amount.

For my newly acquired Rolex DJ41 I added a valuable personal property plan to my already existing USAA insurance. It's $118 per year with no deductible with my watch listed at a $7500 value. I figure the $118 per year is worth it even if I never make a claim. It's worth the piece of mind.

Also, pretty much every consumer expert in the country will tell you that you should never, ever make a homeowner's insurance claim unless you have a catastrophic loss. Insuring a watch through your homeowner's policy is a HORRIBLE idea. These days the homeowner's insurance will almost always cancel you for even one minor claim. Your Rolex should be insured separately.
I had a blanket jewelry policy through Chubb to cover my wife's wedding ring and my watches. I carried it for years and fortunately never had to make a claim. I did not renew it last year and probably should have knowing my luck.

The policy covered damage, theft, or even mysterious disappearance. They explained a situation surrounding mysterious disappearance would be my wife taking off the ring to wash her hands and simply losing the ring and not knowing exactly when or where.
Old 6 August 2017, 01:03 PM   #32
pillboy
"TRF" Member

One SS Rolex. Have insurance.
pillboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 01:15 PM   #33
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I have it and would recommend all do as well

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 01:30 PM   #34
kd_submariner
"TRF" Member

Right after I got my sub, I left the AD and went straight to my insurance agent. $90/yr for my watch. I hope to never use it, but at $7.50 per month, well worth it for the peace of mind
kd_submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 01:51 PM   #35
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

All insured with USAA.
Old 6 August 2017, 02:21 PM   #36
chessebj
Banned

I have my watches insured as a rider on my renter's insurance.
chessebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 02:30 PM   #37
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Yes. Specific rider on my home insurance policy and costs 1% per year of the insured amount with the proviso that the watches are either on my wrist or in a safe.

There is no option here like jewellers mutual, unfortunately
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 02:36 PM   #38
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I hate these threads. It's common sense.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 02:41 PM   #39
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoToronto View Post
Hello,

debating if i should get insurance on my two watches, the stories ive been hearing lately has me a little worried now a days lol. how many of you have insurance? and what company (canadian)

If you can easily replace your watches and it wouldn't make even a minor dent in your play money then don't bother. Odds are in your favor that you will never need it---that's how insurance companies make money. But, if it would make you sick to have to lay out money for the gone watches then get insurance.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 02:42 PM   #40
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
I have not however I will Monday
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 02:46 PM   #41
Boothroyd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I hate these threads. It's common sense.
I don't mind these sorts of questions coming up repeatedly. People are looking for opinions and information. Part of the function of TRF. Repeat questions are going to come up from time to time. Bound to happen.
Old 6 August 2017, 02:55 PM   #42
SubmarinerSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C date
Full replacement value all risks insurance. Not an option in South Africa in in my view.
Old 6 August 2017, 02:59 PM   #43
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy78 View Post
I had a blanket jewelry policy through Chubb to cover my wife's wedding ring and my watches. I carried it for years and fortunately never had to make a claim. I did not renew it last year and probably should have knowing my luck.

The policy covered damage, theft, or even mysterious disappearance. They explained a situation surrounding mysterious disappearance would be my wife taking off the ring to wash her hands and simply losing the ring and not knowing exactly when or where.

Yep. Chubb is awesome. Not cheap, but awesome when it comes claim time.

Had a friend whose longtime housekeeper stole $50,000 worth of jewelry from the jewelry box. Chubb never batted an eye, wrote the check.

Also as someone mentioned earlier if you can use Jewelers Mutual or a separate carrier from your HO insurance it is a good idea. In the HO world not weather related claims are not good. If you. An isolate the two risks then that would be my preferred method.

That said I have been too lazy to update my JM policy and have thrown a bunch on my HO policy. I will get a new JM policy soon and remove them from my HO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 06:01 PM   #44
wristmatic
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
been rob and shot before for my jewelry while paying for parking. get insurance and health insurance! Wearing or driving anything expensive thing makes you a target
wristmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 06:16 PM   #45
nick h
Banned

Watch: rolex 16200/116231
i have three Rolex's and all are covered all risk under a separate section of my home contents insurance

exactly the same situation with my art collection
nick h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 08:38 PM   #46
Trazor
"TRF" Member

Added as an extension to my contents insurance.
Trazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 09:02 PM   #47
Reglin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date & DJ
Ace Insurance Co.
Added to the valuable items rider on the homeowners policy
Coverage for Casualty and Theft (not damage from use)
Cover both my DJ and Sky Dweller-full appraised value (yes, you will need an appraisal which your dealer should provide at no charge.
Reglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 10:12 PM   #48
NinoToronto
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
thank you guys, i appreciate all the feed back monday i will be getting insurance :)
NinoToronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 12:50 PM   #49
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Every watch and all significant jewelry are scheduled
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 01:28 PM   #50
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
if you get insured for the watch with company A and your homeowner insurance is with company B.
You make a claim for the watch, do you still take a hit with the premiums on the homeowners insurance ?
Old 7 August 2017, 01:57 PM   #51
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillboy View Post
One SS Rolex. Have insurance.
Same here
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 02:18 PM   #52
Star Ferry
Banned

My watches are not insured. Would not have purchased if I couldn't afford to lose them *Flame shield up*
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 02:35 PM   #53
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I have 8 watches and only have my Smurf on insurance. I use State Farm personal article policy. It sits in the safe more time than not; I've been seriously debating taking it off the policy. I'm well aware that this is the most sure way to have something bad happen!!
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 04:49 PM   #54
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
My watches are not insured. Would not have purchased if I couldn't afford to lose them *Flame shield up*
If anyone can afford to "self-insure" they should do it. Over the long run you will come out ahead. Insurance companies sure do!
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 09:59 PM   #55
TG3N
"TRF" Member

As a wise man or woman once said: “sh*t happens”.

Self-insurance can work in certain circumstances, but usually not in a personal capacity. You’ll only ever ‘come out ahead’ if you never suffer a loss, or at least if your premiums withheld from the Insurance market outweigh your personal losses over the period in question.

If your multi-thousand dollar watch is stolen, lost in a fire, damaged in a car crash, lost whilst swimming etc. then good luck replacing it with the few hundred dollars you saved not paying insurance for the past 10 years (presuming you did of course diligently & separately save those funds untouched for a rainy day, and haven’t long since spent them on Pokemon cards & beer…).

Insurance companies are a business like any other – in existence to make money. They take the risk & pay for losses, but endeavour to still make a profit. They do so by spreading their risk & recouping premiums from the many to pay the claims of the few. As a self-insuring individual, the buck stops solely with you, and you cannot hope to hedge/spread your risk in the same fashion.

In terms of being wealthy enough to absorb a multi-thousand dollar loss without too much complaint, that’s great and may be a personally valid approach if insulated enough, but even at that, is it really the most fiscally prudent choice when there are cost-effect options to protect against loss? In most other areas of life we’re happy to accept a minimal cost or discomfort to protect a valued asset.

Separately to that, we’re all different of course in how risk averse we are, but there’s a certain peace of mind in being able to wear your watch 24/7/365 everywhere and doing anything, without worry.
TG3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 11:05 PM   #56
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
I've got insurance on my Rolex, worth the cost to have peace of mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Have it on all my watches with home owners insurance. Absolutely insure your watches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRP View Post
I'd say it's a no-brainer...get insurance!
This
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 11:32 PM   #57
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Yes Nino, I have for all watches and wife ring. Full replacement value, I have it through state farm, separate policy/rider for the jewelry than the home or cars.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 11:35 PM   #58
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
All of my wife's watches and jewelry is insured.

None of my watches are insured.

I move through them too fast. And I learned from Dr Tom. I'd prefer just to keep that money around for more watches.

I do however have a beefy safe that I have at home. Unlikely anyone is getting in there. On the streets if someone wants my watch, I'd just give it to them.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 11:52 PM   #59
Hands90
"TRF" Member

When I get a piece worth 8K such as a new Sub, then I would go for it.
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 06:05 AM   #60
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
Both my Rolex's are insured through my home insurance which was arranged before I left the AD.

Currently considering another purchase, again I won't leave the AD without insurance in place.

I like the peace of mind on never having to worry about it, if the worst happens and I get mugged I don't have anything to gain by resisting. You see reports such as recently in the UK of someone being killed for their Rolex, it's just not worth it.

As for what the threshold is for me to insure, I have a Tissot Visodate which Cost £395. I wouldn't dream of specific insurance for this watch although my insurance covers a certain amount anyway. Personally I think anything over £1000 and I'd consider it worthy of insurance, more so if a recognisable brand name.

I'm still a little shocked when people don't insure expensive items. I'm not in the position of being wealthy enough to be able to replace a Rolex without too much hardship so I struggle to understand why you'd want to take that risk.

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote