The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 August 2017, 09:00 AM   #1
Bisquitlips
2017 Batman Pledge Member
 
Bisquitlips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Real Name: Richard
Location: USA
Watch: Rolex Deep Space
Posts: 11,906
Favorite ink bottles?

Another thread brought this up in my mind so I thought I would ask you guys.

The Akkerman ink bottles are my favorite style and also like the old MB shoe. The TWSBI refillable bottles are well engineered so they are on the list also.

What are your favorites?

Akkerman:



MB Shoe (old style):



TWSBI:

__________________
Rolex Yacht-Master 40mm (SS-YG / Deep Space MOP) 16623
Breitling Aerospace Titanium / 18K with UTC.
Omega Speedmaster 3510.50

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." -Churchill
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 08:46 PM   #2
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Real Name: James
Location: Great Britain
Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Posts: 389
I'm a big fan of the MB shoe. It reminds me of watching dad fill his pen when I was little then later adding one of my own when my wife gave me a MB as an engagement present.
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 05:06 PM   #3
Formulansx
"TRF" Member
 
Formulansx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ca
Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Posts: 1,366
I need to get in on that Akkerman bottle action! That looks like it might just well be the perfect ink bottle! I would be a pretty big fan of the Omas bottles if the facets where a little wider and stable. You have to tilt it once you get into the bottle a good amount and it's teetering on mass destruction if it falls over!
__________________
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, Seiko 5, A few Bulovas, Scotch, Bourbon, Cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 01:22 PM   #4
stratguy
2017 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Real Name: Steve
Location: Southwest
Watch: Explorer II
Posts: 129
These are my favorite:

stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 07:51 AM   #5
jar
2017 Pledge Member
 
jar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Real Name: jim
Location: Deep South Texas
Watch: 1943 Elgin
Posts: 415
I really dislike the Akkerman solution.

The Sheaffer bottle well, MB shoe are my favorites.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 08:40 AM   #6
Formulansx
"TRF" Member
 
Formulansx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ca
Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
I really dislike the Akkerman solution.

The Sheaffer bottle well, MB shoe are my favorites.
Why is that? Is there a mechanical reason I'm missing here?
__________________
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, Seiko 5, A few Bulovas, Scotch, Bourbon, Cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 09:58 PM   #7
jar
2017 Pledge Member
 
jar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Real Name: jim
Location: Deep South Texas
Watch: 1943 Elgin
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
Why is that? Is there a mechanical reason I'm missing here?
Yes. The Akkerman bottle actually over fills the small filling area which far too often results in overflow when you try to fill most anything other than a Sheaffer Snorkel.

Other designs leave enough room to allow the nib & section insertion into the ink without overflow.

The ideal is to create a well with enough ink to fill your pen but also wide enough to accommodate all pens, deep enough to fit even big nib/feed pens but with a lip designed so any spillage goes back in the bottle. Of all the designs over the decades the Skrip bottle simply works the best.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 07:37 PM   #8
Formulansx
"TRF" Member
 
Formulansx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ca
Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Yes. The Akkerman bottle actually over fills the small filling area which far too often results in overflow when you try to fill most anything other than a Sheaffer Snorkel.

Other designs leave enough room to allow the nib & section insertion into the ink without overflow.

The ideal is to create a well with enough ink to fill your pen but also wide enough to accommodate all pens, deep enough to fit even big nib/feed pens but with a lip designed so any spillage goes back in the bottle. Of all the designs over the decades the Skrip bottle simply works the best.
Interesting information. I have not made it that far into the inkwell/bottle world just yet. Still working on my iroshizuku bottles over here.
__________________
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, Seiko 5, A few Bulovas, Scotch, Bourbon, Cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 01:38 AM   #9
jar
2017 Pledge Member
 
jar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Real Name: jim
Location: Deep South Texas
Watch: 1943 Elgin
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
Interesting information. I have not made it that far into the inkwell/bottle world just yet. Still working on my iroshizuku bottles over here.
I do have the advantage of having screwed up about every way possible.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 04:58 AM   #10
Bisquitlips
2017 Batman Pledge Member
 
Bisquitlips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Real Name: Richard
Location: USA
Watch: Rolex Deep Space
Posts: 11,906
Yeah... The Akkerman can be a pain if you don't take it slow and only fill it's reservoir to exactly 5/8ths full prior to dipping your pen in it. There are a lot of things like that come to think of it!



__________________
Rolex Yacht-Master 40mm (SS-YG / Deep Space MOP) 16623
Breitling Aerospace Titanium / 18K with UTC.
Omega Speedmaster 3510.50

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." -Churchill
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 06:35 PM   #11
Formulansx
"TRF" Member
 
Formulansx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ca
Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Yeah... The Akkerman can be a pain if you don't take it slow and only fill it's reservoir to exactly 5/8ths full prior to dipping your pen in it. There are a lot of things like that come to think of it!



This is complicated! I think I'm going to have another drink and mull it over for a while
__________________
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, Seiko 5, A few Bulovas, Scotch, Bourbon, Cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to outstanding horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2017, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.