The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 December 2022, 12:22 AM   #1
4rnold
"TRF" Member

Thougt-experiment about Rolex in the pre-internet era vs actual times

A question for those who love (vintage) Rolex (or other watches)

I was in general thinking about the idea of buying and owning (vintage) Rolex watches, and then it struck me that the whole idea is very much influenced by the internet and trough its ways of communicating.
As we all know, the internet made certain aspects of communicating like this forum possible.

I bought my first Rolex before the internet was so available, and I can't unsee the idea that I there was a total shift in the way watches were approached, and maybe especially vintage watches during the internet era.

And this in some aspects: (for example)

-You share you watch, like on this forum, since it gets (positive or negative) criticised, you are prone buy more according to some standards, than maybe your taste. By that I mean, some things will be much more important for example, originality, wear (polishing,...),... Of course I know some will say: internet changed nothing, originality allways matters to me. But I mean; maybe people tend to buy the seller or buy on what they actually see in the flesh, and not on micro pictures,etc...

-Maybe, since there were less possible ways to show your watch (forum, instagram, facebook,...) you would be less tempted to buy a watch att all or more watches the one or two, since chances were big that no knows notices your new 'vintage' watch. And hence, vintage was not so overrated as it is now.

-Some under the radar models were hard to sell (not for their price), as they were only for people who were real aficionados. Like the Steve mcQueen explorer 1655. Maybe it was not popular because there was no (less) community, or maybe better put, online community.

-some models got hot because, pictures became widespread, like the Submariner, Daytona. They were allways recognisable, but maybe by much less people as nowadays.

I'm interested in your ideas, especialy from people who owned watches pre-internet, and also from new buyers, what the incentive is to buy (vintage) watches nowadays. Would this incentive change if we would go back to this pre-internet era.

So it's kind of a thought-experiment
Old 21 December 2022, 06:57 AM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rnold View Post
A question for those who love (vintage) Rolex (or other watches)

I was in general thinking about the idea of buying and owning (vintage) Rolex watches, and then it struck me that the whole idea is very much influenced by the internet and trough its ways of communicating.
As we all know, the internet made certain aspects of communicating like this forum possible.

I bought my first Rolex before the internet was so available, and I can't unsee the idea that I there was a total shift in the way watches were approached, and maybe especially vintage watches during the internet era.

And this in some aspects: (for example)

-You share you watch, like on this forum, since it gets (positive or negative) criticised, you are prone buy more according to some standards, than maybe your taste. By that I mean, some things will be much more important for example, originality, wear (polishing,...),... Of course I know some will say: internet changed nothing, originality allways matters to me. But I mean; maybe people tend to buy the seller or buy on what they actually see in the flesh, and not on micro pictures,etc...

-Maybe, since there were less possible ways to show your watch (forum, instagram, facebook,...) you would be less tempted to buy a watch att all or more watches the one or two, since chances were big that no knows notices your new 'vintage' watch. And hence, vintage was not so overrated as it is now.

-Some under the radar models were hard to sell (not for their price), as they were only for people who were real aficionados. Like the Steve mcQueen explorer 1655. Maybe it was not popular because there was no (less) community, or maybe better put, online community.

-some models got hot because, pictures became widespread, like the Submariner, Daytona. They were allways recognisable, but maybe by much less people as nowadays.

I'm interested in your ideas, especialy from people who owned watches pre-internet, and also from new buyers, what the incentive is to buy (vintage) watches nowadays. Would this incentive change if we would go back to this pre-internet era.

So it's kind of a thought-experiment
The Daytonas and Subs were not huge sellers either back in the day. The Daytonas more so than the Subs.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2022, 03:17 AM   #3
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
The internet changed a lot of things by making information readily available to anyone.

When I was younger and really in to music, it involved reading magazines, smaller publications often put together by fans, and actually getting out there and talking to people.

You went to record stores and conventions, went to shows, listened to the radio.

Sometimes if you heard a good song, you might spend days or weeks figuring out the artist and tracking down a tape or record of it. It was work!

Now, anything you care to know about almost any artist, and a plethora of their materiel is in your pocket to be accessed at a whim.

The same thing goes for any subject out there. Knowledge is easy to access but has lost some if it’s prestige and value. You don’t have to go to an expert, or even someone with a little more knowledge than you have, to learn what you need to know.

This has the effect of making the cost of entry, in time and effort, much lower for any niche hobby. If you want to become reasonably knowledgeable about watches, you could do it in a weekend on your couch with no problem. Pre-internet this base of knowledge could take years to accumulate, and be expensive in regards to buying books and publications.

It’s no wonder their are so many more watch aficionados and enthusiasts.

It’s so much easier to do now, and it’s only getting easier with the flood of blogs, websites, podcasts, and articles that add up day after day.

It’s good in many ways that these things are readily and easily available.
But the satisfaction of finding that rare single of a song you heard once late at night on the radio, or of buying an old Omega at an antique mall, are gone for the most part. The rewards of earned, rather than googled, knowledge are fading fast.

And everyone knows that things that come easily, with no sacrifice, aren’t all that important to people.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2022, 03:20 AM   #4
MrBlobby
"TRF" Member

100% agree.
MrBlobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 06:14 AM   #5
4rnold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
And everyone knows that things that come easily, with no sacrifice, aren’t all that important to people.
I feel the same way, it may be nostalgic. My first Rolex was a Sub. Wich I bought second hand. I knew the Submariner from watch magazines. Internet was available but not at all the way it is now. I'ts more than 20 years ago. Internet was not on the phone, only on the desktop. In the hotels, you had to pay for one hour of internet on a pc next to the reception. Remember that?

I bought it on a holiday, a fullset. How crazy this was compared to now. I didn't know the seller at all (It was Pierre Ardizzoia, who is now working for Collection Heure, but had an independent shop in those days). I just saw this watch and fell in love with it. I walked around town with it in a bag. I couldn't believe I had this (to me) legendary watch. A real Rolex. In the hotel room, I studied in every way. Also the box and papers. Man it was so beautifull. The whole experience.

But what strikes me now, and that's why I posted this thread, is that I had no intereaction with anyone about this watch. I was not on this forum, I had no friens who were interested in watches at all. I just bought it for myself. I think this is something completely different now. I know some friends sporting modern Rolex nowedays because its popular, back then they wouldn't have recognised it , unless they saw the name.
I really think internet and modern ways of recieving information as you point out changed this, the experience is different nowadays, even for me I think.
Old 26 December 2022, 06:19 AM   #6
4rnold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The Daytonas and Subs were not huge sellers either back in the day. The Daytonas more so than the Subs.
So I assume the hype is created by modern ways communicating?
Maybe even more than people seeing it as an investment object?
The idea of making money from these watches when flipping them was only a result of the hype created by the rising popularity. not the other way around, imho.
Old 26 December 2022, 06:33 AM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rnold View Post
I have a thought - without the current internet community of 1655 admirers would Tudor have designed the BB Pro to resemble it so much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 07:10 AM   #8
4rnold
"TRF" Member

Indirectly yes I think, the vintage revival is fueled by it, if it wasnt Tudor would not make it I think. So yeah, for me it is.
Old 27 December 2022, 04:30 AM   #9
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Personally I think the internet has affected the current production and recently discontinued models hype/demand more than vintage.

Having said that, as all ships go up on a rising tide, vintage has been indirectly affected and has fuelled a 'substitution purchase' community for older models as and when they can't get the contemporary piece or have bought one and find it too chunky !

The internet reach has raised quite a few hitherto unloved models even in the last 5 years, but are still some models that are bargains and the internet/collector community just haven't got to grips with yet.

5 yrs ago I'd say it was the 16570, 36mm Tudor subs, big block, Rolex 14270, but they've flown the nest in terms of prices.... So now it's just Rolex oyster 34mm eg 6694/6426, Basic Baton dial Datejust 36mm, Tudor 38mm Jumbos and 2 step dial/ Integrated models, 89190 and some 79260/70/80 Arabic small blocks.

SHE'S A BAD MAMA JAMA - Carl Carlton
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote