The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 October 2019, 08:28 AM   #1
HTXdev14
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue DJ41
Blue 15500 Waitlist

Good Afternoon All!

I was wondering about how long people are waiting for the new blue 15500 RO? When I called the boutique in Miami (closest to me) the SA mentioned that since it was a new model and the summertime that they have no idea when they would expect them (blah blah blah). I went through the same thing with Rolex but was able to get what I needed through my local AD without a ridiculous wait.

I’m sure this might be a stupid question but this is my first foray into AP so I didn’t know if they do things any different that Rolex.

Appreciate the insight!
HTXdev14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 08:38 AM   #2
nsguy
"TRF" Member

Did they add you to the waitlist and/or take a deposit?
nsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 08:54 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Similar to getting a Rolex BLRO except far less points of sale. Generally with AP it’s much easier to get black or grey dials.
Old 7 October 2019, 09:17 AM   #4
HTXdev14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post
Did they add you to the waitlist and/or take a deposit?
He said he would put me on a list but didn’t take a deposit.
Old 7 October 2019, 09:18 AM   #5
HTXdev14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Similar to getting a Rolex BLRO except far less points of sale. Generally with AP it’s much easier to get black or grey dials.
Yeah, he tried to sell me in a grey but I really prefer the blue. Looks like I’m in for a wait haha
Old 7 October 2019, 09:27 AM   #6
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
The waitlist is not sequential and your name may never be called as big spending and VIP will get called before you even if you’re nextnon the list. Just a fact of life. It’s best if you goto a boutique notnin a high market area...the new one just opened in Atlanta and would likely be easier than Miami.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 09:37 AM   #7
HTXdev14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
The waitlist is not sequential and your name may never be called as big spending and VIP will get called before you even if you’re nextnon the list. Just a fact of life. It’s best if you goto a boutique notnin a high market area...the new one just opened in Atlanta and would likely be easier than Miami.
I figured that would probably be the case. Good point on Atlanta! I did pretty much the same thing with Rolex and it worked out. How do you like your blue dial? I buddy of mine already has one and it looks immaculate!
Old 7 October 2019, 09:49 AM   #8
jag32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTXdev14 View Post
I figured that would probably be the case. Good point on Atlanta! I did pretty much the same thing with Rolex and it worked out. How do you like your blue dial? I buddy of mine already has one and it looks immaculate!
I love my blue dial, my favorite watch.

You can’t compare the Rolex situation with that of AP. Rolex has hundreds of not a thousand plus dealers in the US. AP has something like 7. And the number of heavy hitters at those boutiques are high and competition to get pieces like the RO blue dial is stiff. Vegas, NY and Beverly Hills Will straight up tell you that you’re not getting on the list unless you buy an offshore, Code 1159, or some less desirable piece. Miami is similar but they rarely entertain clients who aren’t local. The boutiques are very careful to not use the term waitlist, in my experience they refer to it as an “interest list” and then he boutique manager, based on who you are, your AP purchase history, and relationship with ONLY that boutique will determine who gets an allocation.
Old 7 October 2019, 10:10 AM   #9
HTXdev14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love my blue dial, my favorite watch.

You can’t compare the Rolex situation with that of AP. Rolex has hundreds of not a thousand plus dealers in the US. AP has something like 7. And the number of heavy hitters at those boutiques are high and competition to get pieces like the RO blue dial is stiff. Vegas, NY and Beverly Hills Will straight up tell you that you’re not getting on the list unless you buy an offshore, Code 1159, or some less desirable piece. Miami is similar but they rarely entertain clients who aren’t local. The boutiques are very careful to not use the term waitlist, in my experience they refer to it as an “interest list” and then he boutique manager, based on who you are, your AP purchase history, and relationship with ONLY that boutique will determine who gets an allocation.
I gotcha. Yikes. So given I’m not in Atlanta and this would be my first AP, odds are slim to none?
Old 7 October 2019, 10:32 AM   #10
jag32
Banned

Quote:
I gotcha. Yikes. So given I’m not in Atlanta and this would be my first AP, odds are slim to none?
All you can do is call and try brother. There are some weird policies... like the Vegas boutique has a new policy where they will not accept any payment for a 15500 of any dial color unless you goto the boutique to pay in person... to prevent non locals and flippers from gaining easy access to 15500. Not all boutiques are like this, but it’s just a tough environment to buy an in demand AP overall.
Old 7 October 2019, 01:42 PM   #11
HTXdev14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All you can do is call and try brother. There are some weird policies... like the Vegas boutique has a new policy where they will not accept any payment for a 15500 of any dial color unless you goto the boutique to pay in person... to prevent non locals and flippers from gaining easy access to 15500. Not all boutiques are like this, but it’s just a tough environment to buy an in demand AP overall.
Wow! I have never heard of that. I get wanting to limit it from going to the greys but damn haha. The bad news is, I just got back from Atlanta and didn’t realize they had one there. Kicking myself for not looking while I was there.
Old 7 October 2019, 01:44 PM   #12
jag32
Banned

Quote:
Wow! I have never heard of that. I get wanting to limit it from going to the greys but damn haha. The bad news is, I just got back from Atlanta and didn’t realize they had one there. Kicking myself for not looking while I was there.
And this was for a gray dial in Vegas, not even a blue dial. Policy is for ANY 15500 to be paid for in person no exceptions. They also told me you are limited to one 15500 purchase per year and that purchase of a black or gray dial 15500 does nothing to help you in eventually getting a 15500 blue dial because they know you would flip one of them.
Old 7 October 2019, 09:51 PM   #13
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Yeah, he tried to sell me in a grey but I really prefer the blue. Looks like I’m in for a wait haha
Did you see the grey dial one? Only asking because it is actually very nice.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 10:39 PM   #14
HTXdev14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And this was for a gray dial in Vegas, not even a blue dial. Policy is for ANY 15500 to be paid for in person no exceptions. They also told me you are limited to one 15500 purchase per year and that purchase of a black or gray dial 15500 does nothing to help you in eventually getting a 15500 blue dial because they know you would flip one of them.
That’s incredible. I guess I understand it though. I wish some of the other brands would start to address the flipping.
Old 7 October 2019, 10:43 PM   #15
HTXdev14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Did you see the grey dial one? Only asking because it is actually very nice.
I’ll be honest, I really haven’t taken a hard look at it. I was more fixated on the blue haha. You like the grey?
Old 8 October 2019, 12:53 AM   #16
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
I’ll be honest, I really haven’t taken a hard look at it. I was more fixated on the blue haha. You like the grey?
The grey is gorgeous - 100% the one I would get if I was shopping for a 15500.
Old 8 October 2019, 04:21 AM   #17
HTXdev14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
The grey is gorgeous - 100% the one I would get if I was shopping for a 15500.
Hmm.. I might have to take another look then. Any thoughts on the white 15400?
Old 8 October 2019, 05:14 AM   #18
jag32
Banned

Quote:
Hmm.. I might have to take another look then. Any thoughts on the white 15400?
The white isn’t my taste, but it’s usually the only Royal Oak you can still get at or slightly below the current MSRP.
Old 8 October 2019, 05:14 AM   #19
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

deal with AP owned boutiques, yes they have to please their VIPs but mostly they are interested in finding good homes for their specialty pieces.
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 10:31 PM   #20
HTXdev14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The white isn’t my taste, but it’s usually the only Royal Oak you can still get at or slightly below the current MSRP.
Oh wow. I didn’t think that. Any reason they would be below current MSRP? Just not as popular as the other models?
Old 8 October 2019, 10:38 PM   #21
jag32
Banned

Quote:
Oh wow. I didn’t think that. Any reason they would be below current MSRP? Just not as popular as the other models?
Not as popular.
Old 8 October 2019, 11:13 PM   #22
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Hmm I don’t think this is the case anymore. MSRP is 17.8 and they’re selling on Chrono24 for around 23-26 depending on condition.
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 04:17 AM   #23
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Where? I only see this piece way above MSRP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 05:37 AM   #24
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:

Both grey and blue are stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 05:50 AM   #25
jag32
Banned

I love the gray. It’s a bit too monochromatic for me, but is a lovely choice. I think I’d prefer black over gray.
Old 9 October 2019, 05:51 AM   #26
jag32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Where? I only see this piece way above MSRP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There were 2 of chrono24 in the 18k range. If they’re not there then they sold.
Old 9 October 2019, 05:52 AM   #27
jag32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfChris View Post
Hmm I don’t think this is the case anymore. MSRP is 17.8 and they’re selling on Chrono24 for around 23-26 depending on condition.
17.8 MSRP isn’t really a valid number to go by as current MSRP is 19.2 for 15500 and 15400 is unattainable at retail replacement for 17.8. No one is going based off the old MSRP. Differences btwn 15400 and 15500 are too subtle to justify and marked differences in price other than rare its of the newer 15500 (that is being produced in higher numbers than the 15400.)