The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 14 October 2019, 01:50 AM   #31
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

It probably has to do with how animals are treated in the harvesting of their bodies for our use not if it's a personal preference.

If you are a dog or cat owner how do you feel if dogs are eaten as food as they are in other countries. How about using dogs for testing of say cosmetics or other products.

Do you think pets left at the pound should be used for medical research.

It's not as simple as you think.
I am a dog owner. However if you lived in South Korea you might think a lot differently and realize it has less to do with how I feel and what was actually available to be eaten.

Different societies, different cultures, different religions, and different situations which all result in different realities.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 14 October 2019, 01:52 AM   #32
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I am a dog owner. However if you lived in South Korea you might think a lot differently and realize it has less to do with how I feel and what was actually available to be eaten.

Different societies, different cultures, different religions, and different situations which all result in different realities.
Agreed. But I don't live in South Korea. And where I live I don't want animals tortured.

I'm no vegan. I just want animals treated humanely.
Old 14 October 2019, 01:55 AM   #33
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

It probably has to do with how animals are treated in the harvesting of their bodies for our use not if it's a personal preference.

If you are a dog or cat owner how do you feel if dogs are eaten as food as they are in other countries. How about using dogs for testing of say cosmetics or other products.

Do you think pets left at the pound should be used for medical research. Dogs (not pets) are used for medical research now in labs for drug companies and medical device companies. These are animals that have been bred for hundreds and thousands of years to be our best companion who would live and die for our pleasure and safety.

It's not as simple as you think.
NO it's not complicated...no one is talking about cats and dogs, way off-base and off-topic. This is about alligators or crocodiles, hardly household pets. Where in some parts are being hunted because of their rising population and threat to humans. That being said, of course no one is in favor of torturing or cruelty.

The question remains, are you allowed to wear croc straps on your watches in California?
Old 14 October 2019, 01:58 AM   #34
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
NO it's not complicated...no one is talking about cats and dogs, way off-base and off-topic. This is about alligators or crocodiles, hardly household pets. Where in some parts are being hunted because of their rising population and threat to humans. That being said, of course no one is in favor of torturing or cruelty.

The question remains, are you allowed to wear croc straps on your watches in California?
If you don't live in California why do you care?

Not being a smart ass, just wondering.

And I have no issues with harvesting alligator hides, as long as they are treated humanely.
Old 14 October 2019, 02:01 AM   #35
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed. But I don't live in South Korea. And where I live I don't want animals tortured.

I'm no vegan. I just want animals treated humanely.
Well, so far I think only one poster claimed without any proof whatsoever that they weren't being treated humanely.

I'm still having a hard time believing animals are being skinned alive on a wholesale basis.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 14 October 2019, 02:02 AM   #36
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well, so far I think only one poster claimed without any proof whatsoever that they weren't being treated humanely.

I'm still having a hard time believing animals are being skinned alive on a wholesale basis.
Not sure either.
Old 14 October 2019, 02:03 AM   #37
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you don't live in California why do you care?

Not being a smart ass, just wondering.
Because just like with cars (think emissions), California seems to set precedent that other states end up following. It could be the beginning.
Old 14 October 2019, 02:05 AM   #38
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

The law appears to be aimed at commerce, not personal use.

When I lived in the Midwest, I had venison sausage for the first time. Absolutely delicious. I got it from my boss who had hunted it. He told me that it was illegal to commercially process it. It sounds like similarly, you can have alligator and crocodile products here, just not buy, sell, or process it here.
Old 14 October 2019, 02:07 AM   #39
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Because just like with cars (think emissions), California seems to set precedent that other states end up following. It could be the beginning.
True. But the smog in LA in the 70s and 80s was almost like China today because it was in a basin that allowed it to sit and settle and not be blown out to sea.

So they enacted laws to restrict emissions. Not because it was filled with new age hippies looking for something to do.

So I don't know if other places will follow suit on the croc ban, but I have no idea if my watch straps are even now croc or fake croc.
Old 14 October 2019, 02:09 AM   #40
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davisbr.../#79f8e4c28173
Old 14 October 2019, 02:09 AM   #41
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Not surprised this is coming from California politicians. Yet, while they create more laws, they choose to ignore some extremely important ones already on the books.
Old 14 October 2019, 02:20 AM   #42
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Not surprised this is coming from California politicians. Yet, while they create more laws, they choose to ignore some extremely important ones already on the books.
I have no idea what the motivation was for the law but all you have to do is look on the internet and see the carnage and torture on fur farms, animal testing labs from a few years ago and today, foie gras farms, veal farms and see what we do to animals.

It's pretty sickening and barbaric.
Old 14 October 2019, 02:22 AM   #43
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Okay, so in an overall scheme of things who besides this one example of a third world country practices this?

Because if I were to ask about almost any heinous act of inhumanity I could probably find an example being perpetuated somewhere.

Because I have to tell you just because some one somewhere treats cows badly it's not going to stop me from eating the beef I have eaten my entire life. Because I could probably chose almost any thing I do or enjoy the results of and find someone doing it in a way that is extremely objectionable. People just are capable of being extremely bad things, but I have to continue to live regardless.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 14 October 2019, 02:26 AM   #44
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Okay, so in an overall scheme of things who besides this one example of a third world country practices this?

Because if I were to ask about almost any heinous act of inhumanity I could probably find an example being perpetuated somewhere.

Because I have to tell you just because some one somewhere treats cows badly it's not going to stop me from eating the beef I have eaten my entire life. Because I could probably chose almost any thing I do or enjoy the results of and find someone doing it in a way that is extremely objectionable. People just are capable of being extremely bad things, but I have to continue to live regardless.
I agree. But I think whenever we see barbarity we should try and stop it.

I think we still boil lobsters alive.
Old 14 October 2019, 02:27 AM   #45
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Most gator skins comes from Louisiana and Florida. My guess is skins from those states would be a lot more regulated than croc farms in Vietnam. Also, it doesn’t make much sense to skin animals alive. It’s much easier and quicker to skin animals that are still and the fastest way to do that is quickly killing the animal.

If you ever tried giving a cat a bath, I’d imagine skinning an animal alive would be way more dangerous.
Old 14 October 2019, 02:31 AM   #46
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
You may be right but change in societal mores has been a slow march forward since the beginning of human societies. In one hundred years I suspect we will no longer eat meat or harvest skins for leather. And the death penalty will not exist. This is my prediction.

Quote:

Old 14 October 2019, 02:33 AM   #47
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't disagree, and in fact I strongly agree. As flawed as even that effort maybe I think it's worth giving it a go.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Closed Thread