The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 August 2018, 10:22 PM   #1
Jonford
"TRF" Member

Buying overseas on Chrono24

I have been looking on chrono24 and i am interested in perhaps buying from abroad. I am in the UK and countries like Germany and Italy have loads listed and there seem to be some good deals. Is it worth trying to buy from overseas? Are any countries better to buy from than others in terms of quality and reliability? Why do Germany and Italy have so many Rolexes for sale compared to somewhere like Spain? Can anyone recommend any sellers? (This would be useful for the UK as well).
(This had been posted on the open discussion forum for some reason).
Jonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 10:46 PM   #2
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Bought from Italy and US without problems, Germany and other EU countries should be no problem. From US there is duties and VAT to pay.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 11:02 PM   #3
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Sorry but to me this just sounds like a great recipe for future threads on the how something went horribly wrong.
Me personally would never buy something like a Rolex online from a third party seller from another country to be shipped in the mail.
I would however consider(maybe, but probably not) meeting someone at a neutral location and doing a f2f deal.

edit: this is considering an american buying abroad, this may be normal for you guys overseas. But not for me.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 11:14 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

there is no problem from the point of view of import tax (unless the country is out of EU), but, do your due diligence on the companies. Very often, pieces can be bought just as well here in the UK if you avoid the big names. Happy to help if I can
Old 11 August 2018, 03:18 AM   #5
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I bought online in the UK, Netherlands and Germany.
Buying in Germany has my preference, found it to be very reliable but stubborn when haggling
Old 11 August 2018, 03:36 AM   #6
emtee
"TRF" Member

Bought a VC from a German dealer via Chrono24. All was great but as always research your seller as Chrono24 is just a marketplace.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 05:14 AM   #7
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
hi Jonford, I was looking on chrono24 for an Explorer and the prices from the London dealers was around £4,100, after looking into the watches on offer one was originally from France the other was Japan, both had issues with condition and previous owner history.... I held back and found a private seller and saved £700 for a 2005 model that came as a full set that was originally sold the uk (one previous owner,) I'd keep an eye on TRF and consider buying here first. all the very best "H"
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 05:20 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If the price is much better in Ita or Ger then I'd correspond with the seller and then I'd fly over and pick it up, otherwise too much hassle if the watch doesn't turn out to be right.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 05:45 AM   #9
Jonford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If the price is much better in Ita or Ger then I'd correspond with the seller and then I'd fly over and pick it up, otherwise too much hassle if the watch doesn't turn out to be right.
Tht would be my concern
Old 11 August 2018, 05:46 AM   #10
Jonford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
hi Jonford, I was looking on chrono24 for an Explorer and the prices from the London dealers was around £4,100, after looking into the watches on offer one was originally from France the other was Japan, both had issues with condition and previous owner history.... I held back and found a private seller and saved £700 for a 2005 model that came as a full set that was originally sold the uk (one previous owner,) I'd keep an eye on TRF and consider buying here first. all the very best "H"
I have looked but so many are in the US.
Old 11 August 2018, 08:55 PM   #11
Jonford
"TRF" Member

What about Japan?
Old 11 August 2018, 09:13 PM   #12
YMII
"TRF" Member

If it is a commercial seller and you buy via "Trusted Checkout" the risk is very low.
YMII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 09:23 PM   #13
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting to see some of the values from foreign countries but I would never and I mean never buy from there. There are very legitimate sources that will stand behind the watches they sell in your country or other EU nations but you will pay. I would find the best deal from one of those sources and pay. In the long run it is worth it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 09:27 PM   #14
YMII
"TRF" Member

When buying outside the EU, however, you must add up the import turnover tax (VAT). Not within the EU. Do you have a particular dealer in mind, if so I can give you a non-binding estimate.
Old 11 August 2018, 09:31 PM   #15
YMII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Interesting to see some of the values from foreign countries but I would never and I mean never buy from there. There are very legitimate sources that will stand behind the watches they sell in your country or other EU nations but you will pay. I would find the best deal from one of those sources and pay. In the long run it is worth it.
And what if the desired watch is not available for a long time? If the price difference is not extreme and the watch is available, I would always buy from the local concessionaire. But sometimes that does not work.
Old 11 August 2018, 10:16 PM   #16
Jonford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMII View Post
When buying outside the EU, however, you must add up the import turnover tax (VAT). Not within the EU. Do you have a particular dealer in mind, if so I can give you a non-binding estimate.
We arent going to be part of the EU much longer! I havent really got a dealer in mind, just enquiring about trust and legitimacy buying from abroad.
Old 12 August 2018, 02:08 AM   #17
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Bought from them from Portugal and London so far and no problems but they were from stores. Not sure I'd buy from individuals from other countries but I guess it depends on how much risk you are willing to take on something you can't find in your own country.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 03:44 AM   #18
YMII
"TRF" Member

At the moment you are still part of the EU ....
Most gray traders in Germany are serious. From private I would generally buy at most with a personal meeting.
Old 12 August 2018, 07:52 PM   #19
Jonford
"TRF" Member

I would definately only buy from a seller that had a store. That is why i would question buying from an overseas seller. Trust their websites?
Old 12 August 2018, 08:29 PM   #20
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
I agree....and have bought in Italy a number of times.

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 08:58 PM   #21
Jonford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Flying to other countries isnt really an option at the minute, but i understand that would be the preferred way of doing things.
Old 12 August 2018, 09:36 PM   #22
YMII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonford View Post
I would definately only buy from a seller that had a store. That is why i would question buying from an overseas seller. Trust their websites?
Gray traders very rarely have a shop, the trade takes place on Chrono 24 or forums. Gray traders who have a shop are priced mostly not interesting.

Without enough references, I would not buy from any website, but consider Chrono24 Trusted Checkout to be safe.

I also consider watch shops like Jomashop serious. However, it should be considered that there is no manufacturer's warranty, but only the guarantee of Jomashop. For me, that comes only in very lucrative offers in question.
Old 12 August 2018, 11:24 PM   #23
Jonford
"TRF" Member

Looking used, a lot in the UK have shops.
Old 14 October 2019, 01:39 AM   #24
donald83
"TRF" Member

Looking to buy one from Germany and I'm based in Singapore. Anyone can recommend a trusted German dealer?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
donald83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 01:56 AM   #25
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Sorry but to me this just sounds like a great recipe for future threads on the how something went horribly wrong.
lol
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 07:36 AM   #26
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
This does not sound like a good idea. There have to be dozens of local chrono24 sellers for you. Stick to them.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 03:32 PM   #27
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Holy thread bump.
Old 15 October 2019, 11:36 PM   #28
yons78
Banned

True it's best to stick with local chrono24 sellers.
yons78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 12:38 AM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald83 View Post
Looking to buy one from Germany and I'm based in Singapore. Anyone can recommend a trusted German dealer?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Won't you have import tax to pay? The UK OP is buying from within EU so no taxes thus it is worth it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 01:00 AM   #30
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

It's a bit of a crap shoot unless you buy new from an AD or at least a proven grey with a track record.

I've bought perhaps 20 used watches from various places like ebay, Chrono24, WatchUseek classified, etc an it all depends on how much risk you're willing to take and I guess how much money is at stake.

The higher the price the more I stay away from individuals and stick with stores that sell used or places like Chrono and Watchbox which have a middleman and screen their customers to some extent.

I've bought around 5 watches from Chrono24 with overseas sellers with no problems. But I check out their track record, and naturally if they advertise "a trusted seller since 2019" I'd probably stay away.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote