The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2019, 03:18 PM   #1
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Buying a Rolex at a airport?

I’m flying to Houston,japan, Vietnam, Singapore and Las Vegas in the next week. I’ll be stopping by several Rolex stores im sure. What is your experience buying from an airport or another country. What about the VAT? Should I be expecting some discount if the AD keeps the VAT? I’m looking for a DJ41 rhodium diamond dial on jubilee. Might not be the most sought after Rolex out there so I’m kind of optimistic. Of course if I were to run across a skyD or SD43 I would buy those as well. Was thinking of paying on a debit card or cash? Is credit card better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 03:38 PM   #2
scheneider
"TRF" Member

u gonna buy it anyway if you stumble upon one, the rest of ur questions become irrelevant ,

safe travels
scheneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 03:45 PM   #3
Bluehase284
"TRF" Member

Dealers can't keep VAT, so they are either part of a tax refund scheme or if not you either walk away, or pay it and they pay it to government.

They don't make out of it so no discount should be expected.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Bluehase284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 03:53 PM   #4
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
There is normally no VAT if you buy at an airport. I would take a sturdy lockable briefcase and put an appropriate amount in major currencies. For your destinations US dollars and Japanese yen. At purchase carefully inspect the watch for any flaws. Bring a loupe. Also double check that you receive the full set, including both swing tags, etc. Arrive at the airport early and give yourself plenty of time to complete the purchase
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 04:00 PM   #5
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
Dealers can't keep VAT, so they are either part of a tax refund scheme or if not you either walk away, or pay it and they pay it to government.

I think I read on the forum that they got 15 percent off and the dealer kept the VAT. Might be mistaken. If out of the country would I be expected to pay sales tax?

Old 15 October 2019, 04:08 PM   #6
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

I prefer using credit card for all the benefits it has to offer, plus various forms of protection

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 04:18 PM   #7
BatmanFan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
I prefer using credit card for all the benefits it has to offer, plus various forms of protection

Agreed. I charge everything I can to my credit card and get a cash back bonus. Then pay the statement balance off in full each month to avoid any interest.
BatmanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 04:23 PM   #8
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheneider View Post
u gonna buy it anyway if you stumble upon one, the rest of ur questions become irrelevant ,

safe travels

This is not 100 percent true if I have to pay above retail because of the VAT. Not sure how all that works. But i do know the prices on all DJ41s have been creeping above retail on the grey and with the post about the warranty’s not being valid if it’s not your name has me thinking if I should just wait for my AD in the US.

Old 15 October 2019, 04:26 PM   #9
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
I think I read on the forum that they got 15 percent off and the dealer kept the VAT. Might be mistaken. If out of the country would I be expected to pay sales tax?

That is roughly happening when you are buying in Europe where VAT is included in the price (and is ~20%).
ADs don‘t „keep“ the VAT, the VAT is refunded when the item is taken out of country when new.

In Singapore and Japan, the VAT is much lower and I don‘t know about Vietnam.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 04:30 PM   #10
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Call as far in advance as you can and let them know of your plans and date and see it they can have something ready for you when you get there.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 04:46 PM   #11
GeoffS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
I too would pay on a credit card to get the protection, but don't forget to make sure you are well aware of the FX charge rates for your particular card. They do vary a fair amount.
Regarding the tax situation, that varies by country but the airport ADs price is what it is, and you may or may not be able to get a tax refund in that particular country so just ask.

But do make a calculaton of the total price you will be paying versus what you would pay at home on the grey market. It's easy to assume that because you are buying at retail price in that country that it will be cheaper. Not always the case. I walked into the large AD in Hong Kong airport just as they opened the gate at 7am and was the first cutsomer in (good strategy by the way) and there in the case was a TT Sub Bluesy. A watch I have been looking for. The SA was practically ringing up the watch as it was clear that I wanted it, but a quick calculation of the final price I would pay in my currency, and a quick check on my phone for UK grey prices, I would have been paying several hundred pounds more by buying the watch from the airport AD, so I passed.
GeoffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 04:48 PM   #12
Luther89
Banned

Quote:
I’m flying to Houston,japan, Vietnam, Singapore and Las Vegas in the next week. I’ll be stopping by several Rolex stores im sure. What is your experience buying from an airport or another country. What about the VAT? Should I be expecting some discount if the AD keeps the VAT? I’m looking for a DJ41 rhodium diamond dial on jubilee. Might not be the most sought after Rolex out there so I’m kind of optimistic. Of course if I were to run across a skyD or SD43 I would buy those as well. Was thinking of paying on a debit card or cash? Is credit card better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

17.8% off if you’re not foolish enough to declare it. Good luck! Best way on planet earth to buy a Rolex if you can find the one you want
Luther89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 04:48 PM   #13
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Call as far in advance as you can and let them know of your plans and date and see it they can have something ready for you when you get there.
^^^ Excellent advice, 5 stars, Sir.
Old 15 October 2019, 08:28 PM   #14
cleanupinaisle3
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR, DJ41, BB58
Quote:
This is not 100 percent true if I have to pay above retail because of the VAT. Not sure how all that works. But i do know the prices on all DJ41s have been creeping above retail on the grey and with the post about the warranty’s not being valid if it’s not your name has me thinking if I should just wait for my AD in the US.

Warranty goes with the watch as long as AD name and date is on the card. What’s in the name section doesn’t matter to Rolex. It could say “Flying spaghetti monster 420 blessed” for all they care.

Black Bay 58 Black
Speedmaster Professional
cleanupinaisle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 08:42 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
All things being equal, I pay using a credit card simply for the convenience. I’d never travel with large amounts of currency as suggested earlier.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 10:21 PM   #16
Vaks
"TRF" Member

Adjacent to Singapore, if you could go to Malaysia then for sure you will get the best price and quite a big collection at Kuala lumpur Int'l airport Rolex boutique.
Vaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 10:39 PM   #17
opaline460
"TRF" Member

buy at airports to flip here?
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 10:40 PM   #18
Cryten
"TRF" Member

I buy duty free fairly often. They're just like any other AD, just tax free. You can try to negotiate if you wish but in the current climate I wouldn't expect to get far. I've got 10% several times, but that was before the madness.

I wouldn't be travelling with large amounts of cash. Governments everywhere are trying to kill the cash economy and Customs are on the look out for cash. The general rule is confiscate first, ask questions later. I'd use the credit card.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:48 PM   #19
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372
Buying a Rolex at a airport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanupinaisle3 View Post
Warranty goes with the watch as long as AD name and date is on the card. What’s in the name section doesn’t matter to Rolex. It could say “Flying spaghetti monster 420 blessed” for all they care.

It gets swiped and digitally inputted nowadays; at least in the US.

OP, use your credit card. My Amex plat exchange rate was bid rate and without any international fee. Cheaper than exchanging currency and you get points.

Johndong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 12:02 AM   #20
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
No Rolex at Houston airport that I'm aware of, scratch that one.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 12:07 AM   #21
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
A buddy of mine who used to travel alot swore that the best deals on watches he experienced was in Singapore. Now this was years before the madness. He bought quite a few watches (IWC, VC, Omega, Rolex) at a pretty good discount. But again... this was at least 10 years ago if not more.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 01:21 AM   #22
RichardLehmann
"TRF" Member

I went to the Zurich airport Rolex AD today and nothing was available other than a few Day Dates. They had an Explorer II and some DJs in the window but they were for “exhibition only”, hopefully you have better luck!
RichardLehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 01:48 AM   #23
5pastfive
"TRF" Member

Singapore Changi Airport at terminal 3 open from 6am to 1am. But last time, they had not a lot on offer and exhibition purposes.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A405FN mit Tapatalk
5pastfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 01:53 AM   #24
5pastfive
"TRF" Member

Can not remember having seen a Rolex AD at the airport in Hanoi. There is an AD in the city

Gesendet von meinem SM-A405FN mit Tapatalk
5pastfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 03:17 AM   #25
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
I
I wouldn't be travelling with large amounts of cash. Governments everywhere are trying to kill the cash economy and Customs are on the look out for cash. The general rule is confiscate first, ask questions later. I'd use the credit card.
I was going to say this. Bringing a suitcase full of cash through international terminals seems like an especially bad idea with little if any potential benefit.
Old 16 October 2019, 05:22 AM   #26
Seibei
Banned

If you are using your credit card my advice is to advise the credit card company beforehand of the fact that you will be travelling to countries X, Y and Z and using your card there. Also make sure your limit is high enough to cover the cost of any desirable pieces you may find. Otherwise you risk having your card declined due to risk of fraud.

Travelling with large amounts of cash has never been any problem for me, just make sure to declare it when you cross any borders where this is required.
Old 16 October 2019, 06:11 AM   #27
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
If you are using your credit card my advice is to advise the credit card company beforehand of the fact that you will be travelling to countries X, Y and Z and using your card there. Also make sure your limit is high enough to cover the cost of any desirable pieces you may find. Otherwise you risk having your card declined due to risk of fraud.
Solid advice, but remember these ADs are in the secure part of the airport terminal. You don't get in there without proving you are who you say you are, and the AD is required to log your ticket or passport details into the system at the point of purchase so tracking any attempted fraud would child's play.

I've never told my CC company and it always goes through.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 06:14 AM   #28
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post

If you are in an airport flying out of EU to a non EU country, then you will not end up paying tax and most airport ADs will decrease the price accordingly. It might be the case in other countries as well.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 09:39 AM   #29
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
Ive been ripped off by the VAT scheme before. The only way that a retailer can "keep" the vat is if they dont issue you the VAT paperwork. Once the paperwork is filled out and in your hands, its as good as cash (less a fee) once you find the VAT counter and cash in. They will ask for your passport and they WILL ask to see the watch (in the box). Once this is done, you pay a flat rate per VAT receipt (maybe 20 dollars?) and they send you on your way with cash in they currency that you like most (you can get US dollars just about everywhere).

I was living in the middle east and I purchased an item of significant value. Not knowing how VAT worked (I was 15 years old) I walked out of the shop with my package in hand, but no VAT paperwork. I realized my mistake (I stupidly paid in cash) and I went back a few days later to get the coveted paperwork. They refused to give it to me on the basis that "it would cost them money".

Live and learn.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 09:52 AM   #30
skytick
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Exactly, that is the best thing to do. At least they will be ready for you upon arrival.
skytick is offline   Reply With Quote