The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2019, 05:05 AM   #1
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

Day Date 40 Platinum

Why is the Day Date 40 in Platinum only offered with the smooth bezel versus the usual fluted? Is it because it is too difficult to create a fluted bezel in platinum or some other reason?
DJTOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 05:27 AM   #2
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTOSUB View Post
Why is the Day Date 40 in Platinum only offered with the smooth bezel versus the usual fluted? Is it because it is too difficult to create a fluted bezel in platinum or some other reason?
I asked this question a while back on that the DD 36 in PT. I don't think I ever got an answer. I don't think it has anything to do with it being too difficult to create.
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 06:05 AM   #3
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
I asked this question a while back on that the DD 36 in PT. I don't think I ever got an answer. I don't think it has anything to do with it being too difficult to create.
So it's probably to create some exclusivity - OK.
Old 15 October 2019, 06:15 AM   #4
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
My understanding is that the fluted bezel is hard to do in platinum so that is the reason for the smooth bezel
Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 06:18 AM   #5
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
If they can do the YM bezels in Plat, they can most certainly do a fluted if they so wanted.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 07:40 AM   #6
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I was told point blank it was due to how hard it was to create a fluted bezel in Platinum at a Rolex road show by a Rolex rep. He seemed very sure of himself. But it never made much sense to me. I do love it just as it is though.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 08:05 AM   #7
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowatchman View Post
My understanding is that the fluted bezel is hard to do in platinum so that is the reason for the smooth bezel
This is what I've heard as well but you would think by now that Rolex would have figured it out.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 08:47 AM   #8
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
It’s weird to me that they can’t make a fluted bezel in platinum but have no problem creating the crown with all its ridges in platinum?
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 08:48 AM   #9
dkast85
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR 116710
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTOSUB View Post
So it's probably to create some exclusivity - OK.
Yeah this is likely it. Same reason why they have the Ice Blue dial. It’s another way to make it stand out that it’s platinum. Personally when I think day-date, I think fluted bezel but that’s just me. Honestly don’t understand WG or platinum. I cannot for the life of me tell the difference between WG, Platinum and SS. And as far as I can tell, Rolex knows this, which is why they have to create tweaks that make their PM pieces stand out. The only reason they can sell a WG submariner is because the bezel is blue. If there was a WG submariner and it had the standard black bezel, not a soul would buy it. I literally can’t imagine one person buying it.
dkast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 08:52 AM   #10
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkast85 View Post
Yeah this is likely it. Same reason why they have the Ice Blue dial. It’s another way to make it stand out that it’s platinum. Personally when I think day-date, I think fluted bezel but that’s just me. Honestly don’t understand WG or platinum. I cannot for the life of me tell the difference between WG, Platinum and SS. And as far as I can tell, Rolex knows this, which is why they have to create tweaks that make their PM pieces stand out. The only reason they can sell a WG submariner is because the bezel is blue. If there was a WG submariner and it had the standard black bezel, not a soul would buy it. I literally can’t imagine one person buying it.
its easy to tell the difference between wg, ss and plat if they're next to each other but other than that i agree. and to me a day date should be in colored gold (unless its not your first)
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 08:53 AM   #11
nationalrobert
Banned

The fluted bezel is no harder to do in platinum than it is to do in any other metal. These products are done by an automated machine, forget the thought that some expert is carving this out with a pocket knife.
They don't do it in platinum because they want the extra little bit of distinction between the products.
I'm sorry to sound so raw and abrupt but that is it.

Enjoy your first class watches everybody.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
nationalrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 09:31 AM   #12
dkast85
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR 116710
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
its easy to tell the difference between wg, ss and plat if they're next to each other but other than that i agree. and to me a day date should be in colored gold (unless its not your first)
someone should post a picture of a WG oyster bracelet, a SS oyster bracelet and a platinum oyster bracelet. Just the bracelet. Don't show anything else. Then see if people can pair all three
dkast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 09:41 AM   #13
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkast85 View Post
someone should post a picture of a WG oyster bracelet, a SS oyster bracelet and a platinum oyster bracelet. Just the bracelet. Don't show anything else. Then see if people can pair all three
ss vs platinum is probably hard, but wg vs plat/ss is easy to spot when together

huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 01:40 PM   #14
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Visual prompt to differentiate from “inferior” precious metals.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 03:02 PM   #15
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
because it’s badass.

it doesn’t need to call attention to itself. it’s simple. it’s cold. it’s platinum.

it’s absolutely perfect as is.

Old 15 October 2019, 07:08 PM   #16
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
ss vs platinum is probably hard, but wg vs plat/ss is easy to spot when together

Not in those pictures on an old iPad it ain't
Old 15 October 2019, 07:25 PM   #17
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
You can tell the difference on your wrist. Or I can anyway. And the dials they give some of these to differentiate them are spectacular.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD6.jpg (81.3 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg DD3.jpg (93.3 KB, 578 views)
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 08:19 PM   #18
RolexJoe
"TRF" Member

The notion that Rolex is unable to make a fluted platinum bezel doesn’t hold water. It simply isn’t logical. It’s not like it’s hard to machine inconel.

My thought is that it’s to differentiate it from the white gold models. I’m fine with that, I’ll have one eventually.
RolexJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 09:16 PM   #19
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Why would making a fluted platinum bezel be any more difficult than making a platinum crown?
Old 15 October 2019, 09:50 PM   #20
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

There are other posts on this. Yes, it's true that platinum is harder to work with than gold. We had a couple of members - smarter than me - chime in on reasoning.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 01:05 AM   #21
supacarrot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
I asked this question to my AD last month. The answer I got was this:

WG in a fluted bezel will hold up reasonably well to wear for a PM because it is 75% PM. The issue with platinum is that is is 95% PM. This is why the platinum watch weighs MUCH heavier and has a more expensive feel relative to the WG. The caveat is that more PM means it will scratch easier and sharp edges will squish easier. Thus the fluted bezel on a platinum model will not hold up as well relative to Rolex standards.

Side note: my AD also said platinum is more difficult to refinish than WG because of how soft 95% PM is. This makes it hard to refinish the fluted bezel without causing excess wear.
supacarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 01:10 AM   #22
Brew
"TRF" Member

It's bad enough when wg is mistaken for ss. If the pt. dd had a fluted bezel like pedestrian wg, or ss (heaven forbid), the world might stop spinning.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 01:18 AM   #23
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
It's bad enough when wg is mistaken for ss. If the pt. dd had a fluted bezel like pedestrian wg, or ss (heaven forbid), the world might stop spinning.
But someone could potentially mistake the platinum DD for an even more pedestrian smooth bezel DJ. This might cause the world to spin backwards.
Old 16 October 2019, 02:37 AM   #24
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supacarrot View Post
I asked this question to my AD last month. The answer I got was this:

WG in a fluted bezel will hold up reasonably well to wear for a PM because it is 75% PM. The issue with platinum is that is is 95% PM. This is why the platinum watch weighs MUCH heavier and has a more expensive feel relative to the WG. The caveat is that more PM means it will scratch easier and sharp edges will squish easier. Thus the fluted bezel on a platinum model will not hold up as well relative to Rolex standards.

Side note: my AD also said platinum is more difficult to refinish than WG because of how soft 95% PM is. This makes it hard to refinish the fluted bezel without causing excess wear.

Correct. When polishing platinum, the metal actually just moves around compared to gold or steel in which you actually remove the metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 02:38 AM   #25
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
If they can do the YM bezels in Plat, they can most certainly do a fluted if they so wanted.
Very good point. Throws the too hard reason out the door.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 05:39 AM   #26
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
This is what I've heard as well but you would think by now that Rolex would have figured it out.
I have to call BS on this, If they can make a crown out of PT (Which is basically fluted if you will) surely they could make the much less intricate bezel
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 07:33 AM   #27
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfChris View Post
It’s weird to me that they can’t make a fluted bezel in platinum but have no problem creating the crown with all its ridges in platinum?
And the underside of the Oyster case...
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote