The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 October 2019, 11:56 AM   #1
tesmith2112
"TRF" Member

Members Sales - Fraud

I've noticed every time I attempt to sell a watch, someone will message me, showing interest, but a little too anxious to buy, but very elusive as well (no full name, number, email has no online presence, etc.). Pretty obvious they're up to something, just not sure what their play is exactly.

Had a guy recently, say he was "ready to move forward", but wanted me to click a link to confirm it was my ad. I didn't click it obviously.

Of course I have people telling me they have a buyer for my watch, get that a lot.

Anyone else see this type of activity?
tesmith2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 01:33 PM   #2
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

Hi, First this should be moved the "Watch Out" section of this forum but yes all possible scam tactics.

Some Scammers would want you to send them the watch after they provide you fake paypal payment links or fake wire information etc.

Also, they want you to click a link which asks you to verify your password. This is a fake link/page, not part of TRF. Once you fill that in, it will send them your password. Then after they get your password they will sell watches on behalf of your good name.

Seems about 90% of the time,...most people who are scammed say that they probably could have protected themselves, had they just verified a little further. So its good your Spidey Senses are kicking in here. If something doesn't quite seem right...bail out!
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 01:47 PM   #3
TickTopia
2024 Pledge Member

Yep, I had the same thing happen to me a few days ago. Someone was very interested in buying my watch and asked me to verify my listing via their fake link. Here's the email they used: eelprofe13@gmail.com
TickTopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 02:01 PM   #4
tesmith2112
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTopia View Post
Yep, I had the same thing happen to me a few days ago. Someone was very interested in buying my watch and asked me to verify my listing via their fake link. Here's the email they used: eelprofe13@gmail.com
Yes, that's the same email I'm referring to.

Here's the email... (I cut off half of the URL BTW, in case someone tried to click it).

Hi,

Thanks for your email...

I am ready to proceed with payment and shipping.

Hope This is your advert on the forum before you send over payment info

https://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A...zone.com%2Find
Old 1 October 2019, 02:07 PM   #5
smak
Banned

if the responses to the other thread i posted are any indicator, from here on i would be incredibly careful buying or selling on this forum.
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 03:14 PM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Never had that issue but selling is always more nerve racking than buying. Thx for the heads up!
Old 2 October 2019, 12:47 PM   #7
tesmith2112
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Never had that issue but selling is always more nerve racking than buying. Thx for the heads up!
Old 2 October 2019, 01:45 PM   #8
flintsghost
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16600
Everytime I have tried to sell something or posted a want ad, I get deluged with emails or PM's from people who just joined the forum and want to buy asking for more pics etc etc, or telling me they have what I want. ONCE, a couple of weeks ago I had a newby with no posts contact me about my NOS M series seadweller. As it turned out he came all the way to Denver and stopped over on the way to California to see it and pay cash for it. I didn't blow him off on first contact but was tempted. I am sure glad I didn't. it benefited both of us. I had exactly what he wanted in the condition he was looking for. It was for a gift for his father who had had his old style 40mm seadweller stolen during a move. Anyway it all worked out. But normally, I am skeptical of people wanting to buy who have 0 posts and just joined in the last few days.
flintsghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 08:25 AM   #9
Liquid Snake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Oysterquartz
Yep, If it seems fishy, walk away. There are plenty of other deals out there.
Liquid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote