The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 October 2019, 01:41 AM   #1
Catphish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mstr ii pepsi GMT
Icon5 Watch Gift to Son Question

I bought a new explorer mkII last year (2018) to commemorate the birth of my son. It was my first new Rolex and I wanted it to be from the year he was born with my name on the card. In retrospect, I wish I'd put his name on the card.

If you got the above watch, purchased to commemorate your birth, from you father on your 18th or 21st birthday. Would you be more happy with one that he wore frequently and showed it's miles, or one that was tucked away and in nearly new condition? I say nearly new because I've been wearing it on special occasions; it's still near mint.

I bought it with the intention of having it be my weekend watch that would be what I wore for all our family adventures, and his life's big moments. But before I fully commit it to the tool watch life it is intended for. I am second guessing myself because the idea that buying a watch and then squirreling it away for 18 (or 21) years is pretty cool too.

possible solution would have been to buy two, but that ship has sailed since it's a year later, and not nearly as cool.

Thanks for your opinions.
Catphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 02:11 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You have good intentions.
Old 13 October 2019, 02:26 AM   #3
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
I would say wear it, bought my SD the month before my son was born in 2006 and have worn it since until this year. Hadn't really thought of it being his birth year and then it kind of dawned on me.

Put it away earlier this year in storage for his 18th or 21st, not too sure which.

He knows and loves the watch, used to call it my big silver watch. Esp if i wore my TT DJ which he thinks is a girls watch. He thinks the SD is a Mans watch ha.

Been on lots of adventures with him wearing that watch creating special memories.

Dad and William SD.jpg

Wear it and make your own special memories together.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 02:56 AM   #4
OQDJ
"TRF" Member

Great minds think alike. I did the exact same thing when my son was born (same watch, same year). My solution was to take the bracelet off and wear on leather / rubber. I love the watch so much it’s hard not to wear.
OQDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 02:58 AM   #5
hmss007

I would wear it especially when you two are together. Then when you give it to him it’s full of shared memories.
hmss007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:02 AM   #6
BigMac53
"TRF" Member

Definitely wear it - if I were the son I think I would appreciate it more knowing that we did all these things together for 18/21 years while that watch was on your wrist. It will hold a lot more sentimental value knowing it was worn rather than collecting dust in a closet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigMac53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:04 AM   #7
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

I'd wear it. It will have more personal meaning that way. Seeing it on you during important and fun family times will build a connection.
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:05 AM   #8
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
Definitely wear it and make sure your wearing it in photos over the years, especially photos with your son. I think he’ll appreciate the well worn watch and the documentation of you wearing it.
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:06 AM   #9
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch Gift to Son Question

I picked up the SubC Date over the summer from my fantastic AD. Put my son’s name on the warranty card (as 2019 is also his birth year).

I’ve been wearing it and will continue to do so until I pass it to him when he’s 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:14 AM   #10
GeoffS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
Tricky one. Can see the value in both wearing it and laying it down. Such a great idea. Wish I had read a post like this 12 years ago when my son was born

I'd probably go for wearing it, and for creating memories with him around the watch. That will only work if you don't have a bunch of watches on rotation mind you!

Laying it down - you gift him a Rolex. Wearing it and creating memories along the way - you give him your treasured Rolex. The latter just sounds better.
GeoffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:22 AM   #11
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I had the same question for myself as my son, now 15 is fascinated with my Pepsi, I had the opportunity of buying him another Pepsi and tucking it away but chose to give him my own Pepsi when he turns 21. I think it will mean more for him, it wouldn’t be just an expensive watch but would give him the memories of every occasion we had with the watch on my wrist!.......... or so I hope!
Old 13 October 2019, 03:24 AM   #12
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Lucky you guys. When I had my sons at age 28 & 30, all I could afford at that time was Tag Heuer.

Bought my first Rolex at 40 so my plan is to hand it to them at certain milestone, like university graduation or wedding.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:40 AM   #13
5nit
Banned

Watch: DJ41
I’d rather have a watch with my dads name on the card because that means something.

In 20 years from now I’d rather have a new Rolex than one 20 years old living in a safe. Wear your watch and care for it and pass it down. This is what a nice gift is to me. A watch with dads name on it and a few miles of wear and tear.

A brand new 20 year old watch with his name on the card doesn’t seem special. Why not just buy him a new one when he’s 21 if that’s the case.
5nit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:59 AM   #14
Catphish
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.

I can’t take credit for the idea; a friend did it a few years back and I thought it was really cool.
Old 13 October 2019, 04:20 AM   #15
kpinthebay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610 or dads
Definitely wear it as much as you can. Be in pictures with it.

My dad recently passed and I inherited his DD that has more character marks than anything I've seen. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 13 October 2019, 04:21 AM   #16
nationalrobert
Banned

Wear that watch frequently for family time then give it to your son on his 18th so he is delighted to have Dads watch that he always saw and wanted.

That's how I see it, and it's great to hear your thinking about your family.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
nationalrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 04:31 AM   #17
Wes911
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Wear the watch and enjoy it.

Doesn't seem many 18-21 year olds now even care about watches. Cant imagine what it will be like in another 18-21.

I inherited my dads rolex when he passed. Honestly it just wasn't one I would ever wear and I ended up selling it because nobody in my family had any interest in it either. I have plenty of other highly sentimental items from my dad that I would never part with but even being the watch guy the Rolex was not one of them.

It is hard to define at this point what will be special between you and your son as he becomes an adult. Saving the watch in pristine condition may seem to be a good idea to you at the present time but it may not turn out that way.
Wes911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 05:16 AM   #18
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
That sounds like a fantastic idea! After reading through everyone's posts I'd have to agree with the majority in that you should wear the watch yourself. I also like the idea of taking milestone (birthdays, Christmases, family vacations, etc.) pictures with you and your son and making sure the watch is visible in the pictures. Maybe make a photo album with some of the pictures and package the photo album with the watch when you give it to him so he knows it was your intent to give him the watch all along.

That's such a fantastic idea I think I'll do the same myself whenever I have a son.
nworbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 05:26 AM   #19
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
100% wear it. The sentimental value comes from getting dads watch bought on the kids birth year, not getting a shiny trinket from birth year.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 05:48 AM   #20
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
If you want him to have some connection to the watch, and think of you when he wears it, he's gotta grow up seeing it on you and a part of your life.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 05:48 AM   #21
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Posted this photo before, but its me with my Dad and his Rolex i think 44 years ago. Used to love that watch as a kid, posing in the mirror with it on. So many great memories. Keep your safe queens, its all about the memories.

Dad and Me.jpg
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 06:09 AM   #22
Armaniwatches
Banned

Wearing it and creating fun memories with your son will make him value it more when it is passed on to him...
Armaniwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 06:58 AM   #23
Catphish
"TRF" Member

I think you’ve all confirmed my original intention is the right path.

Id post a pic of the son and watch but I guess I need to get a few more forum contributions first. :)
Old 13 October 2019, 06:59 AM   #24
Catphish
"TRF" Member

And great pics from you guys! Thanks for sharing.
Old 13 October 2019, 07:07 AM   #25
soicanbefree
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catphish View Post
I bought a new explorer mkII last year (2018) to commemorate the birth of my son. It was my first new Rolex and I wanted it to be from the year he was born with my name on the card. In retrospect, I wish I'd put his name on the card.

If you got the above watch, purchased to commemorate your birth, from you father on your 18th or 21st birthday. Would you be more happy with one that he wore frequently and showed it's miles, or one that was tucked away and in nearly new condition? I say nearly new because I've been wearing it on special occasions; it's still near mint.

I bought it with the intention of having it be my weekend watch that would be what I wore for all our family adventures, and his life's big moments. But before I fully commit it to the tool watch life it is intended for. I am second guessing myself because the idea that buying a watch and then squirreling it away for 18 (or 21) years is pretty cool too.

possible solution would have been to buy two, but that ship has sailed since it's a year later, and not nearly as cool.

Thanks for your opinions.

I did the same thing last year and bought a 2018 Hulk for my son. His names not on the warranty (I had to go Grey).

I have since had it engraved with his name and DOB and my wife wears it frequently.

I would suggest that 20 years from now they will not care about the warranty card or that it has been worn. In fact it will build more character, treasured memories of them seeing it on you, etc.

So my 2 cents is you didn't mess up and enjoy it :).
Old 14 October 2019, 11:35 PM   #26
latchford9
"TRF" Member

I love this thread. This is what my Rolex journey is for me. I have three sons and I would love to make it my goal to furnish them with Rolex watches as a legacy purchase. People buy Rolex for many reasons I feel a certain sense of personal achievement along with the pride of giving with that thought to my children. I am not personally interested in flipping , selling or storing in a safe brand new. this is what floats my boat . It takes all sorts I guess. The only problem I have is I have boys 25 and 22 and i'm thinking its close to making that happen.
latchford9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 11:49 PM   #27
Maiden
"TRF" Member

A true heirloom watch is a watch that will remind your son of YOU, whether it be a Rolex or a Timex. Wear it in good health.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 11:52 PM   #28
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Wear it, he probably won't want it in 18/21 years anyway. He will want an Apple watch to look cool.
BillA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 12:16 AM   #29
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
Wear it. I’ve bought a Rolex for each of my grandsons but I’m wearing them in rotation until they are old enough to have them. (My daughter is talking about number 4 so I’ll have to go shopping again!).
Oldwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 12:20 AM   #30
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
I agree with most of the comments about wearing it, then passing it on to him. The memories will be cememented of him seeing you wear it day in and day out. I think the Explorer is a perfect watch to pass on to your son. I wasn't into watches when my son was born - he's nearly 15 now - so it's getting amazingly close. He's always loved the Explorer. I think I'll get him one when he graduates from college.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote