The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 October 2019, 08:48 AM   #31
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I think it better move in with me. Before someone puts it in landfill..
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 09:04 AM   #32
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
You’re showing a highly polished and refinished watch. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Nothing wrong with the crown guards, IMHO. I think the reason they look off to some observers is that it's rare nowadays to see the original shape because so many have been polished and rounded off.

I think the case on the OP's example might have been touched up, slightly polished, but the original squared look of the crown guards was mostly left intact. You want to see that ridge line at the crown guards because it usually indicates a watch that hasn't been polished, or minimally polished.

For comparison, here are some photos of my (former) 14060 Sub that had an unpolished case.
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 02:29 PM   #33
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060

Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 02:36 PM   #34
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Looks fine, mines the same and has not been polished
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 09:54 PM   #35
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

definitely not right. look carefully how its chopped off. it is supposed to be rounded out.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 10:37 PM   #36
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I am far from an expert on this reference but all it takes is a few clicks and plenty of them to be found looking the same as OP’s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5905AB71-15D0-4F6D-8E37-C7FE930BEDBD.jpeg (57.5 KB, 237 views)
Old 14 October 2019, 11:35 PM   #37
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I am far from an expert on this reference but all it takes is a few clicks and plenty of them to be found looking the same as OP’s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
Looks fine, mines the same and has not been polished
Have to agree a very good example but today once you mention polish the anti polish brigade steps in, but most would not tell a good or bad polish from there ars# or there elbow.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 11:41 PM   #38
Swede71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II, BB41,
Camera angles and camera lights can trick you big time in watch pictures - just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swede71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 03:33 AM   #39
Seibei
Banned

The watch the OP is asking about has what in my opinion are nasty origami style polished crown guards. (Some pictures of submariners look somewhat similar but it is probably just due to a reflection. The pictures I posted above show the original shape and it does not have the creases and flat surfaces that the watch the OP is asking about has). Thankfully for the owner of that watch there are many people who don't see it as an issue and don't see the difference between this and the original shape as intended by Rolex, so he might be able to sell it for a good price, even in that state. At they end of the day it is up to the buyer to decide.

Polishing to get rid of minor scratches is not a big deal as far as I am concerned but anything that fundamentally changes the shape of the case is a problem.

OP, what is that watch to you? Are you thinking of buying it?
Old 15 October 2019, 03:36 AM   #40
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
When in ANY doubt, pass along.
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 05:01 AM   #41
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I've honestly never taken much notice as to what models have it and possible years, serials etc. Features like that aren't just polished on by some schmuck. Some Subs obviously came with it from the factory. Do the naysayers honestly think some donkey did it trying to remove scratches?
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 05:08 AM   #42
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
There's some variation even straight from the factory, at least with the 16600 and 16610/16613.

Check this thread out.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=651394

Here you can see a 14060 with other guard thinner than the other. Not polished.

Old 15 October 2019, 06:29 AM   #43
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
I've honestly never taken much notice as to what models have it and possible years, serials etc. Features like that aren't just polished on by some schmuck. Some Subs obviously came with it from the factory. Do the naysayers honestly think some donkey did it trying to remove scratches?
Some donkey ground them down with his new Dremel moto tool he received from Santa Claus.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 06:37 PM   #44
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
As I mentioned earlier the 14060 is a very different animal than the 114060. Not only were the watches different but so were the manufacturing techniques. There was much more hand work done on the 14060s and much greater variation coming out of the factory. Personally I'd be happy with that example. For those who believe every variant in lug shape is caused by over polishing then my recommendation is to stay with the 114060s and modern Rolexes only.

Then again there are plenty without knowledge who find safety in calling every watch over polished and saying it very authoritatively. I wish the claims of knowledge came with their impeccably collected data to support their claims. They also seemingly find an ego boost out of being authorities. I'd say the better part of their credibility lies in the landfill.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 07:23 PM   #45
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
As I mentioned earlier the 14060 is a very different animal than the 114060. Not only were the watches different but so were the manufacturing techniques. There was much more hand work done on the 14060s and much greater variation coming out of the factory. Personally I'd be happy with that example. For those who believe every variant in lug shape is caused by over polishing then my recommendation is to stay with the 114060s and modern Rolexes only.

Then again there are plenty without knowledge who find safety in calling every watch over polished and saying it very authoritatively. I wish the claims of knowledge came with their impeccably collected data to support their claims. They also seemingly find an ego boost out of being authorities. I'd say the better part of their credibility lies in the landfill.
Have to agree with you 100% especially plenty without knowledge.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 October 2019, 08:12 PM   #46
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Ive never in 30 years seen uneven guards leave the factory that bad. Maybe it's the angle of the photo. If not my opinion is been polished at some point ! juho Now hand finished Pateks yes each case unique !!!
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 12:19 AM   #47
mihaib
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
The watch the OP is asking about has what in my opinion are nasty origami style polished crown guards. (Some pictures of submariners look somewhat similar but it is probably just due to a reflection. The pictures I posted above show the original shape and it does not have the creases and flat surfaces that the watch the OP is asking about has). Thankfully for the owner of that watch there are many people who don't see it as an issue and don't see the difference between this and the original shape as intended by Rolex, so he might be able to sell it for a good price, even in that state. At they end of the day it is up to the buyer to decide.

Polishing to get rid of minor scratches is not a big deal as far as I am concerned but anything that fundamentally changes the shape of the case is a problem.

OP, what is that watch to you? Are you thinking of buying it?
Just saw it on Chrono24, not interested in buying it since I already have an 14060m; I was just curious if it was an issue with it or not since my guards are different. Here is the link:

https://www.chrono24.com/ro/rolex/su...RO&SETCURR=EUR

Thanks to everyone for sharing your opinion, I guess the bottom line is we can’t know for sure and it’s safe to purchase a watch like this from a reputable dealer who knows its history.
mihaib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 12:56 AM   #48
Bigblu10
Banned

The watch has clearly been polished. First of all there is not a single scratch on any of the satin surfaces. Secondly looking at the chrono24 images the springbars are virtually sticking out of the lug holes which indicates the lugs have been thinned down. Spring bars do not poke out of the lug holes on an untouched case. There are better examples out there for sale besides this one.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 01:46 AM   #49
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

This thread proves that folks on TRF have trouble determining polished or not polished. I really got a kick out of reading the strong opinions from both sides

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 02:32 AM   #50
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
This thread proves that folks on TRF have trouble determining polished or not polished. I really got a kick out of reading the strong opinions from both sides
No the original post was whether the Submariner Crown Guards had a bad polish, yes the watch has been polished like I would expect most all watches of this age, is it bad I would say no.Some are stating the lugs are very thin with the spring-bars sticking out, I can see no evidence of that.Perhaps just a simple case of different non Rolex slightly longer spring-bars fitted.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 16 October 2019, 02:34 AM   #51
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihaib View Post
it’s safe to purchase a watch like this from a reputable dealer who knows its history.
Really? Some called "reputable dealers" make a habit of saying that polished watches are unpolished. I have seen it time and time again. I don't think it is safe at all. It is up to you to study the watch in question and decide what is what.

And what is to say that this dealer knows anything about the watches history? Chances are he knows nothing about it. He is just selling the watch as is, and of course he is going to present the watch in a positive light.
Old 16 October 2019, 02:40 AM   #52
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
All this polish, polish, polish talk sounds like Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.

So much to do about nothing.
Amazes me how some prefer a beat up watch over a professionally RSC restored one.
I truly believe that the latter is preferred overwhelmingly by the world’s Rolex owners. Not even close.
Old 16 October 2019, 04:39 AM   #53
Seibei
Banned

I would much rather buy a new old stock 14060m than a used one. Given the superior condition of a new old stock watch, the rarity, the fact that they almost always come with a full set, then the premium is very much worth it to me. In other words, used, polished examples that may lack documentation seem over priced while unused fully documented watches are under priced.

Furthermore, the fact that a used polished watch commands prices that are close to a brand new one supports my argument. I just can't fathom why anyone would pay the same for a watch that has a polish, unknown history and incomplete paperwork that they would for a brand new watch that comes with the full set. I know it may be hard to get a new one at MSRP, but I think the trouble and wait is very much worth it.

With respect to polished vs unpolished, I don't think there is anything wrong with a light skillful polish. I would prefer the watch in original condition but I don't see a light polish as being a big deal. I do however see problems when an unskilled polisher has taken off too much material, rounded of edges that are meant to be sharp, created exaggerated bevels and fundamentally altered the character of a case. I can't see how anyone can be happy with a watch that has received that kind of treatment.
Old 16 October 2019, 10:16 AM   #54
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
This is quite the thread. I didn't realize there are so many experts here on TRF. We are truly blessed. I guess I need to wander out of the Vintage section more often and broaden my horizons with some words of wisdom from all these "new experts."

My curiosity got the better of me after reading this thread, so I couldn't help but click on the link to the 14060 being "dissected" from Chrono 24. My initial observation was "this 14060 doesn't look too bad." But, as I continued viewing the other photos, it became apparent that the case is clearly over-polished. For those that can't see it - the spring bars are definitely protruding too far through the spring bar lug holes on the bottom lug holes. You can clearly see it in some of the photos, and if you can't, magnify the photos and you'll see it.

With that said, my best regards to all the "faux experts" friends and acquaintances here on TRF.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote