The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 October 2019, 11:32 PM   #31
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
When the AD is overstocked with items and the gray dealer sells a watch at discount you didn't complain.
Because that’s pretty much the definition of a grey market. The grey market is based on buying outside of the official distribution network for less than MSRP. They are trusted resellers selling for above retail. Not grey market.

When they were selling for less there was a trade off of getting a better deal without the security of buying through the AD or paying more to buy from an AD to get the security and confidence you get from buying through a Rolex authorized dealer. Now you don’t have a choice you either pay considerably more for a second hand watch outside the dealer network or you don’t buy at all.

Of course people are going to complain there’s no options. Not really how the grey market works. Not to mention these greys built and made their business and reputation one way only to flip the practice later on. Before maybe one or two hot watches were sold high. Not everything.

Of course people didn’t complain then; of course people are going to complain now.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 12:13 AM   #32
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Envelope for the AD at the donut shop

Are people naive? Like it or not greasing someone up makes the world go round. I’ve done the greasing before. Envelopes with cash at Xmas time to vendors...donations to their kids little league team etc. If I’m the AD...I’m selling it for MSRP and getting an envelope...Win Win! The grey guys who I’ve done many transactions with get the good product and make money. The people here on TRF including me are most likely .000000001% of Rolex customers. Rolex wants to be a premium product. Shortages make it harder to attain a Rolex. When all AD’s had product in the case it could be discounted. Keep in mind...I’m sure the greys also take less desirable product. DD’s and what not. When I purchased some slow moving product, I got it at a great discount from a grey dealer. See it through the eyes of Rolex...the product is hard to get, it’s makes it more of a premium product, It builds value in the product. Like it or not, Rolex is a premium product; they aren’t for everyone. They have a very specific market they cater to. Its not meant to be common or achievable for for anyone. Think Hermès....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 12:30 AM   #33
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree this forum is getting more like facebook everyday.
Here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (7.6 KB, 99 views)
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 01:05 AM   #34
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Of course thats how it works, I'm surprised anyone thought differently. I don't blame the AD's and would do the same.

I know of an AD that will see at full price, but write a personal check out for the discount and put it in the box, when he ships the watch out. Yes, he ships.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 01:21 AM   #35
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Might be accurate but I have no doubt this is what happens. There is no other way to explain how the grays get such a large inventory of them. There are just not enough individual buyers out there who are flipping them to grays. And if that is what is happening and Rolex/PP/etc are supposedly so vigilant on sticking it to "flippers", then how does one explain that? There are that many individuals getting away with it? Or do we have to finally accept that Rolex/PP/etc really do not give a rats a$$?
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 01:24 AM   #36
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Some have the morals of a sewer rat, always have, always will, try to find an honest AD.....

....good luck with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 01:47 AM   #37
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
This is how its been for well over a decade.

What the REAL SHOCK is....is that there are long time members here that are in denial that it is indeed happening (let alone the standard at this point). The rolex ‘shortage’ talk thats been happening the past years is manufactured from this practice.

Good side: Eventually the greys will saturate their coffers and the prices will level off (possibly drop a little).
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 01:49 AM   #38
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I only believe what I see myself. Late 2018 I had a dealer offer me a Daytona C for over MSRP, I didn’t even ask for one. They lost their Rolex dealership in 2019, just sayin’.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 02:15 AM   #39
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Breaking news

Funnier yet, the non believers that this does take place regularly.
Old 15 October 2019, 02:37 AM   #40
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
This is a good point. Greys can now "cash in" and make some extra money. It's their turn. It just sucks that it's at our expense. Eventually, things will get back to a more normal allocation where we can buy at MSRP or below from ADs.
Not sure I understand your point. Grey’s are in the business to make money. They should ‘cash in’ on every transactions. So, if the grey is selling a watch at a discount to MSRP, it should tell us that they acquired the watch at an even steeper discount. Only if they have a severe business need to liquidate their inventory will they ever willingly take a loss on a sale.

Greys should be making business decisions. To be successful, they shouldn’t let their emotions get the best of them, unlike some collectors.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 02:38 AM   #41
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
First off, who cares? Second, duh..... Third, what's your point?
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 03:12 AM   #42
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
No padi56, you really have gone too far!

I have never even been on Facebook, a source of great pride for me.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 03:17 AM   #43
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
I will not name names but I must speak.

I had a little discussion with a grey dealer the other day and you know what he said?

What's wrong with him getting all the hot watches directly from the AD in return for an envelope?

His reasoning? All the clients who get at retail, except for me, come to him anyway, so why not cut out all these middlemen and let the AD and him split their share?

I said please go on the Rolex forum and start a thread with your views but he won't. So I am.

"I will not name names but I must speak."

That's going on a T shirt.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 04:04 AM   #44
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

I will expect an envelope with my royalties over donuts every month
Old 15 October 2019, 04:19 AM   #45
ian.thomas

I'm late, but still appropriate >>>>

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 04:31 AM   #46
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 04:37 AM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
The grey guys who I’ve done many transactions with get the good product and make money. The people here on TRF including me are most likely .000000001% of Rolex customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We are alot more, we have 2000 active members everyday so probably 10-20K regular members, many of whom have more than 1 Rolex, and since the hype I'm sure a ton of others have joined just to find out what is going on and how they can make money or get a watch. I'd say TRF has never been more influential in shaping this market.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 05:00 AM   #48
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.thomas View Post
Well, the thread got moved and the action has died down.

That happens when the thread gets sandwiched between

« Anyone else drunk » and « Cleaning a nato »
Old 15 October 2019, 05:15 AM   #49
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Well, I know of several people who regularly get new SS Rolex sport watches directly from ADs. There are no waiting lists, if you know the owner or someone high up enough at the AD you will be offered watches. They are free to sell to whoever they want and they do just that. Some seem to be flippers, some buy to keep. If you buy to keep, you might get a rebate. I talked to a guy who got his GMT like that recently.

I do not know or have any business with anyone like that so it is basically impossible for me to get anything I want, but from a grey dealer. I only service my watches at the AD now, I buy elsewhere, even stuff they have available. I personally think this is bad in the long run, ADs will miss out on building relationships with future clients by doing this.

There might be a situation where ADs also sell directly to grey dealers, but I actually think it is not that common over here. The stickered watches I see at grey dealers come from the opposite end of Europe and not just one place.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 05:48 AM   #50
ian.thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
That happens when the thread gets sandwiched between

« Anyone else drunk » and « Cleaning a nato »
lol

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote