The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 29 June 2017, 05:21 PM   #61
Watch Admirer
Banned

Improviz, what is Hublot taking away from your plate?
These innovations as you describe them probably end up being in expensive pieces reserved for an elite of people willing to spend big sums of money to acquire them. Last innovation according to you was 10 years ago? What is happening now?
Different companies trying different things. Hublot is not a company out there to have a horological impact - they just ride on the wave that companies like AP have taken, which is being overly flashy and guess what, they are succeeding in their strategy. Proof is AP fans can't stand Hublot because of their popularity, being cheaper than AP but achieving the same effect to people not familiar with watches (which is more than 90% of the world population probably).
You belong to a niche and you are fortunate- enjoy the watches you buy for whatever reason you buy them, but please don't undermine or bash other people who also have their reasons to purchase watches.
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 07:10 PM   #62
RHJ
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 214270 Mk1
NEVER Hublot for AP!!
Old 29 June 2017, 07:44 PM   #63
RHJ
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 214270 Mk1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post
The very fact that you could make the trade should tell you all you need to know.
exactly!
Old 29 June 2017, 11:20 PM   #64
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Admirer View Post
Improviz, what is Hublot taking away from your plate?
These innovations as you describe them probably end up being in expensive pieces reserved for an elite of people willing to spend big sums of money to acquire them. Last innovation according to you was 10 years ago? What is happening now?
Different companies trying different things. Hublot is not a company out there to have a horological impact - they just ride on the wave that companies like AP have taken, which is being overly flashy and guess what, they are succeeding in their strategy. Proof is AP fans can't stand Hublot because of their popularity, being cheaper than AP but achieving the same effect to people not familiar with watches (which is more than 90% of the world population probably).
You belong to a niche and you are fortunate- enjoy the watches you buy for whatever reason you buy them, but please don't undermine or bash other people who also have their reasons to purchase watches.
I'm not undermining, and certainly not bashing, anyone. I *am* correcting factual errors about which manufacturer introduced things first and who "innovated" what. I'm sorry if my posting things like brochures and documentation supporting these facts bothers you, but facts are facts: Hublot simply did not introduce rubber straps to luxury watches, Rolex, Omega, Blancpain, Heuer, and others did so in the 1960s and all I did was to document this, along with other things like who did the first carbon watch case (AP), who introduced exotic metals, first, etc., *in response* to incorrect claims that Hublot had introduced certain things to the market first. You might try not getting all defensive when someone posts facts that you don't want to hear, and further, your critique of AP as "overly flashy" is far more "bashing" in nature than anything I've said here.

I actually like the looks of the BB, but it is waaaay overpriced for what you get imo and the appearance definitely looks like the ROO, Jean Claude Biver, the CEO of Hublot, admitted as much in an interview which you can find on youtube.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 01:53 AM   #65
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Thanks but no thanks.

The 44 steel is one of the nicest all around watches there is.
Old 30 June 2017, 04:29 AM   #66
speedfighter
"TRF" Member

Hublot may not not have been the very first to introduce the rubber strap to watches but they did it on a very wide scale (not a very specific time piece) and particularly on precious metal and stuck with it. Remember the outcry when they did that particular move amidst the criticism all those years ago?

How can you put rubber with gold? How gauche and what temerity!!!! Guess what they stuck with it despite the backlash and now so called 'Haute Horology' Houses have followed suit without needing the same justification as Hublot as if rubber coupled with gold was the next logical progression in watch making. Just saying.

PS There are a few very, very respected members on this board who also own or have owned Hublot timepieces so let's not be so quick to say they are both mutually exclusive in regard to owning watches from both brands.
speedfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 09:10 AM   #67
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfighter View Post
Hublot may not not have been the very first to introduce the rubber strap to watches but they did it on a very wide scale (not a very specific time piece) and particularly on precious metal and stuck with it. Remember the outcry when they did that particular move amidst the criticism all those years ago?

How can you put rubber with gold? How gauche and what temerity!!!! Guess what they stuck with it despite the backlash and now so called 'Haute Horology' Houses have followed suit without needing the same justification as Hublot as if rubber coupled with gold was the next logical progression in watch making. Just saying.

PS There are a few very, very respected members on this board who also own or have owned Hublot timepieces so let's not be so quick to say they are both mutually exclusive in regard to owning watches from both brands.
I was about to mention what you said in your first and second paragraph when he gave his "facts" about rubber straps and watches. The "fact" still remains none of those companies attached a rubber strap to a 50k+ watch like hublot did.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 09:23 AM   #68
speedfighter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
I was about to mention what you said in your first and second paragraph when he gave his "facts" about rubber straps and watches. The "fact" still remains none of those companies attached a rubber strap to a 50k+ watch like hublot did.

Good point they certainly put rubber straps on +50K watches now don't they as if that's the way it has always been.
speedfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 11:31 AM   #69
improviz
"TRF" Member

Let me re-state and add some helpful detail to what I already mentioned in post #54: Rolex produced solid gold Sub Dates, the model 1680, beginning in the 1960's, and also GMT models in 18K gold. Rubber Tropic straps were offered for these models. A solid gold Rolex is, and was, by any definition of the word, a luxury watch.

So no, Hublot was not first to put a rubber strap on a sports watch nor luxury watch. End of discussion.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 30 June 2017, 03:49 PM   #70
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
It never ceases to amaze me how these Hublot vs AP threads just grow legs and go on and on.

To the OP. I would definitely stick with the AP44 in this case. I can only tell you from own experience. I did an impulse purchase on a Hublot Unico RG a few years back. I am not a brand snob so I'm open to trying just about everything at least once. Nice watch with a good in house movement. Good finishing and very comfortable.

Having said that, when it came to sell it? Oh boy.. Even after buying it at 40% off retail new, still took a big beating on resale.

Nothing wrong with Hublot. It's a love it or hate it brand that appeals to the masses and definitely not to the WIS crowd. As far as who they copied or not? I'm not even going to get into that discussion. They have their place in the watch world and I'll leave it at that.

Is Hublot in the same tier as AP? NO.
Is the finishing and attention to detail on par with AP? NO.
Would I buy another Hublot in the future? NO.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 11:26 PM   #71
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Having said that, when it came to sell it? Oh boy.. Even after buying it at 40% off retail new, still took a big beating on resale.
You got the same deal on a new Hublot as a certain TRF member gets on new and hard to get APs.

Resale tells the story for Hublot.
Old 30 June 2017, 11:34 PM   #72
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You got the same deal on a new Hublot as a certain TRF member gets on new and hard to get APs.

tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 12:21 AM   #73
jem7v
Banned

Quote:

You are so obsessed with me, it's amazing. I never said I got 40% off an AP. But I know if you don't go one day without mentioning me you can't function properly .
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 10:27 AM   #74
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
11 barrels? Wow...it's probably a massive can of tuna, or one shaped like something out of transformer movies
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
Who made this solely about you?

There were many comments, not just yours.

As for innovation, name just one? Okay

"So Hublot shifted the parameters by introducing its HUB9005.H1.6 calibre endowed with the world’s highest autonomy for a wristwatch. Its 11 barrels keep it operating for a massive 50 days without being rewound. To ensure it runs as it should, this energy is regulated by a transverse tourbillon appearing on the front vertical face in accordance with a trademark Hublot construction style. Only 50 of these watches will be released."
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 12:31 PM   #75
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungo View Post
11 barrels? Wow...it's probably a massive can of tuna, or one shaped like something out of transformer movies

PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 03:14 PM   #76
Watch Admirer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
I'm not undermining, and certainly not bashing, anyone. I *am* correcting factual errors about which manufacturer introduced things first and who "innovated" what. I'm sorry if my posting things like brochures and documentation supporting these facts bothers you, but facts are facts: Hublot simply did not introduce rubber straps to luxury watches, Rolex, Omega, Blancpain, Heuer, and others did so in the 1960s and all I did was to document this, along with other things like who did the first carbon watch case (AP), who introduced exotic metals, first, etc., *in response* to incorrect claims that Hublot had introduced certain things to the market first. You might try not getting all defensive when someone posts facts that you don't want to hear, and further, your critique of AP as "overly flashy" is far more "bashing" in nature than anything I've said here.

I actually like the looks of the BB, but it is waaaay overpriced for what you get imo and the appearance definitely looks like the ROO, Jean Claude Biver, the CEO of Hublot, admitted as much in an interview which you can find on youtube.
Chill, have a pill my friend :D I did not make any of these watches and certainly don't belong to these companies so i could not really care less which one is better or not.
If you view watches as investments, it's your call! Some people see watches as enjoyment purely and want to keep them without thinking about resale or history of a brand or whatever.
To conclude, a real watch aficionado would not waste his time purchasing chronograph watches, date watches or other basic complication watches if he really wants to take part in the History of a brand. If you really value all these things that make AP amazing, i'd suggest you purchase a minute repeater or tourbillon or some higher degree complication than a mere chronograph. Just my two cents ;)
Old 1 July 2017, 09:07 PM   #77
improviz
"TRF" Member

@watch admirer, you would be much better served if you actually read the posts to which you are replying, as you're responding to opinions that I didn't write, nor believe.
Old 1 July 2017, 09:24 PM   #78
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

This has clearly devolved into a referendum on straps

Instead of Hublot bashing, lets celebrate the one thing everyone agrees is their speciality. Naming their products. This is one area where Hublot truly shines head and shoulders above the competition. These ideas are 100% Hublot and a better gauge of the brand as a whole than just talking about straps. Clearly, along with their cutting edge designs, these names add that special touch of class that so many brands are lacking.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Magic Gold- it could be a new gold alloy developed by Hublot, but it is equally likely that it’s the new marshmallow flavor in Lucky Charms cereal. Brilliant name choice. It looks great and makes me hungry at the same time
Ice Bang- Im not sure, but this could be a co-branding effort to coincide with the release of a new "adult" film based in Scandinavia. A bit obvious for a marketing tie in, but I like it.
Big Bang Broderie Sugar Skull Fluo Sunflower- No comment required, just read the name again… Brilliant, Simply Brilliant! Ill only buy it though if they haven’t already sold out of the Malachik Green color, thats my favorite.
Black magic- prefect for the purveyor of the dark arts who needs to know what time it is. Clearly an underserved market and an excellent marketing on Hublot’s part to recognize that. I bet the lume on this one is awesome.
King Power Cathedral Gong Tourbillion Minute Repeater- really? The excessively long name aside, do cathedrals even have gongs? I thought they just had bells. Oh well, sounds cool.
Big Bang One Click Chen Man- this doesn't make sense at all, to me anyway, without deciphering the meaning with my Hublot decoder ring, also included with purchase. Glad I have one, as now it totally makes sense.

I would probably like them even more if all new watches also included a free Thesaurus with purchase.

With choices like these how can I possibly choose? Ill take one of each.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 10:28 PM   #79
Watch Admirer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

Instead of Hublot bashing, lets celebrate the one thing everyone agrees is their speciality. Naming their products. This is one area where Hublot truly shines head and shoulders above the competition. These ideas are 100% Hublot and a better gauge of the brand as a whole than just talking about straps. Clearly, along with their cutting edge designs, these names add that special touch of class that so many brands are lacking.

Magic Gold- it could be a new gold alloy developed by Hublot, but it is equally likely that it’s the new marshmallow flavor in Lucky Charms cereal. Brilliant name choice. It looks great and makes me hungry at the same time
Ice Bang- Im not sure, but this could be a co-branding effort to coincide with the release of a new "adult" film based in Scandinavia. A bit obvious for a marketing tie in, but I like it.
Big Bang Broderie Sugar Skull Fluo Sunflower- No comment required, just read the name again… Brilliant, Simply Brilliant! Ill only buy it though if they haven’t already sold out of the Malachik Green color, thats my favorite.
Black magic- prefect for the purveyor of the dark arts who needs to know what time it is. Clearly an underserved market and an excellent marketing on Hublot’s part to recognize that. I bet the lume on this one is awesome.
King Power Cathedral Gong Tourbillion Minute Repeater- really? The excessively long name aside, do cathedrals even have gongs? I thought they just had bells. Oh well, sounds cool.
Big Bang One Click Chen Man- this doesn't make sense at all, to me anyway, without deciphering the meaning with my Hublot decoder ring, also included with purchase. Glad I have one, as now it totally makes sense.

I would probably like them even more if all new watches also included a free Thesaurus with purchase.

Old 1 July 2017, 10:44 PM   #80
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

Old 2 July 2017, 01:13 AM   #81
improviz
"TRF" Member

Old 2 July 2017, 12:01 PM   #82
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
I can see Optimus Prime wearing this fighting evils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post

fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 12:04 PM   #83
improviz
"TRF" Member

Laser comes out the front.