The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 June 2017, 10:40 AM   #1
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
PP slow/poor? service. Do you just accept it? Is it overblown?

Every brand will have lemons and occasional bad service experiences. That said, even ignoring the Internet, the people I talk to have universally slow experiences with PP service, and a higher rate of problems than I hear about other brands.

I know probably 100 Rolex/AP/ALS/JLC owners in real life. Very few complaints overall. I know 10-12 Patek owners in real life, and nearly 100% complain about 8 months or longer for a standard service, watches going back 2-3 times before they give up and just sell them. I know one 9 figure net worth collector who sold all his PP and has completely sworn off the brand entirely.

Am I living in some bizarro world with crazy bad luck, or is this the norm and TRF Patek owners just learn to live with it? Are people flipping watches so often they never have to deal with service?

There are a number of Pateks I really like, but I'm not looking to spend 6 figures on watches to voluntarily sign up for frustration. Put me at ease or talk me out of PP, please.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 10:59 AM   #2
martinr
"TRF" Member

This has been talked about enough already hasn't it?
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:03 AM   #3
KarlS
Banned

I have waited 8 months for a Vacheron to come back from service and 10 weeks is pretty standard for a Rolex in my neck in the woods. But this has been covered ad nauseum...
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:06 AM   #4
bobernet
"TRF" Member

I'll do some more searching, but are you saying "yes, that's reality, deal with it" or "no, a few whiners exaggerate."
Old 26 June 2017, 11:11 AM   #5
martinr
"TRF" Member

When you have a problem with a new watch and it takes twelve weeks to get it back from warranty repair it seems like a long time. And problems can happen. Sometimes it seems like service is an afterthought with them but then again I've had good service and repair experiences also so you have to take the good with the bad.
Old 26 June 2017, 11:15 AM   #6
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
On any forum (like Porsche, etc.) the people with complaints make the most noise. People happy with their choice tend to not post quite as much as people with bad experiences.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:31 AM   #7
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I chose not to complain... I guess I just did though.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:38 AM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I can only speak from experience.

I sent a 5711 back for a what I deemed a misaligned 12 o'clock marker. They had my watch back in 1 month, unfortunately missing a minute marker.

I sent it back right away and they apologized and returned my 5711 perfect in 4 more weeks.

Unfortunate and unacceptable but they did make it right and restarted my warranty to cover lost time.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:57 AM   #9
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Wow. So after taking Martin's comment to heart, I've read more than enough to ensure Patek isn't getting my money until and unless things change. Where there's smoke there's fire, and boy oh boy is there a lot of smoke.
Old 26 June 2017, 12:10 PM   #10
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
I'll do some more searching, but are you saying "yes, that's reality, deal with it" or "no, a few whiners exaggerate."
A combination, but more of the former than the latter, although not necessarily exaggerating, just venting their frustrations/disappointment.
Some people take various things in their stride, others are more easily annoyed/dissatisfied when their expectations aren’t met.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 12:44 PM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow. So after taking Martin's comment to heart, I've read more than enough to ensure Patek isn't getting my money until and unless things change. Where there's smoke there's fire, and boy oh boy is there a lot of smoke.
You can break an AP as well. I assure you Martin still has some Pateks.
Old 26 June 2017, 01:38 PM   #12
bobernet
"TRF" Member

PP slow/poor? service. Do you just accept it? Is it overblown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You can break an AP as well. I assure you Martin still has some Pateks.

It's not whether you can break one. They all break, and more importantly, they all need regular service. I'm not willing to send a watch away for a year every time it needs non-warranty service.

The 5726 I was going to buy could only be serviced in Geneva where most of the problems seem to be magnified.

Finally, Martin didn't talk me out of anything. Everything I just read in the forums confirms the poor quality control, poor service experience, and ridiculous wait times I'd heard from people in the real world.

I'm somewhat shocked so many are still willing to hand them $50k+ for that kind of ownership experience.

Old 26 June 2017, 02:06 PM   #13
Socal to az
Banned

I just got rid of all my APs. too many issues. Im all Patek!
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 03:24 PM   #14
sulttaani
"TRF" Member

I took my 5170 to the Geneva salon on Feb 11 and 40 days later got a message it's ready for pick up. The watch was under warranty and they told me they are doing their best to improve their service time and especially prioritizing watches under warranty. That's my only experience with Patek service and a smooth one.
sulttaani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 03:38 PM   #15
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Only have positive experiences of servicing from PP, was given 12 week service quote but came back in 6 and perfect.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 08:08 PM   #16
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
They will be sorry!!
Old 26 June 2017, 08:15 PM   #17
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
They will be sorry!!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 09:02 PM   #18
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like PP for the history and the styling of some of the watches. With that said I have never owned one for what I believe is a combination of factors. The watches that I really like are at the high end of my budget or beyond. The ablity to find one or buy one is limited without a primium. The watches, in my opinion, do not appear as robust as my beloved Rolexes. I know that many were not designed to be robust but service times are unacceptable. I also don't like the attitude of the company and many of the fans. I think many feel superior for no reason other than they can afford a watch from the brand. All things considered, PP does not work for me. For those that the brand does work for, great. For me Rolex is a brand that mixes design, wear and value the beat. But this is just my opinion.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 09:33 PM   #19
KarlS
Banned

@1William comparing a Rolex and a PP is like???? I own both for different reasons...one is haute horology and 1 is not!! I can't think of a decent Rolex dress watch whereas with PP I can. As for took watches I think Rolex has the edge...It's not a case of superiority...probably more threads here in..."should I wear a Rolex to work"...."would you trust a salesman with a rokex@..."do you think yellow Gold Rolex is trashy" than you would on the PP forum...PP have a QC failure rate of 3%... so if you one of the 1800 pa....you in trouble!!
Old 26 June 2017, 09:41 PM   #20
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 Fluted/Jub
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I like PP for the history and the styling of some of the watches. With that said I have never owned one for what I believe is a combination of factors. The watches that I really like are at the high end of my budget or beyond. The ablity to find one or buy one is limited without a primium. The watches, in my opinion, do not appear as robust as my beloved Rolexes. I know that many were not designed to be robust but service times are unacceptable. I also don't like the attitude of the company and many of the fans. I think many feel superior for no reason other than they can afford a watch from the brand. All things considered, PP does not work for me. For those that the brand does work for, great. For me Rolex is a brand that mixes design, wear and value the beat. But this is just my opinion.
Well, that's also one of the pluses because you don't see many Patek in the wild and and it's a nicer much less common and cliche watch than Rolex. It's more for those who know. It's also an intensely classy watch and brand with a special feeling of craftsmanship.

Now having said that, yes they are very expensive and you are not wrong to scratch your head when contemplating the dive into the Patek brand.

Personally I have a two gorgeous but "lower end" pateks that I feel are not out of reasonable range. I sent my aquanaut in for service last fall. Got it back last spring. Perfect condition but yeah, a long wait and very very $$$.

It's more boutique and personal "in a small club of wis" experience. And you pay in $$ and service time.

Love my Patek. Can't help it.
Mitch105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:44 PM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's not whether you can break one. They all break, and more importantly, they all need regular service. I'm not willing to send a watch away for a year every time it needs non-warranty service.

The 5726 I was going to buy could only be serviced in Geneva where most of the problems seem to be magnified.

Finally, Martin didn't talk me out of anything. Everything I just read in the forums confirms the poor quality control, poor service experience, and ridiculous wait times I'd heard from people in the real world.

I'm somewhat shocked so many are still willing to hand them $50k+ for that kind of ownership experience.

First off a 5726 is not a complex movement by pp standards and can be serviced in New York. Maybe if you have a level 4 comp like a tourb or double split PC.

Second, you literally said, "after taking martins comments to heart" but I digress.

Third, Patek is certainly far from perfect and that's unfortunately something that you need to accept if you want one. I would suggest a Lange but buy to keep.
Old 26 June 2017, 11:57 PM   #22
martinr
"TRF" Member

I looked at my old pictures last night, I've owned eleven Pateks and one had a cosmetic problem when new (not saying which one because I sold it) and one (a 5980) had a mechanical issue when new. Another, my 5905P, had a pusher come loose and repaired under warranty but it might have been my fault (got whacked by a woman's purse). Service time is long, 12 weeks. The worst part about service is wondering if your watch will come back with additional scratches and marks!
Old 27 June 2017, 02:00 AM   #23
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
First off a 5726 is not a complex movement by pp standards and can be serviced in New York. Maybe if you have a level 4 comp like a tourb or double split PC.
I apologize if I was mistaken. From what I've read, annual calendars must go back to Geneva. If not, that certainly potentially improves the situation, as the NY service center seems to get much better reviews than the mothership.

Quote:
Second, you literally said, "after taking martins comments to heart" but I digress.
Martin's comment that this had been discussed to death. He didn't weigh in with an opinion one way or the other. I took that as a motivator to go do more extensive searches and reading of what had already been discussed on this topic. It was those historical discussions (going back at least a couple years) that reinforced the bad news I had already heard from friends and acquaintances in real life.

Quote:
Third, Patek is certainly far from perfect and that's unfortunately something that you need to accept if you want one. I would suggest a Lange but buy to keep.
Lange is certainly an option for dress-style watches. Unfortunately, I was most interested in PM and complicated Nautilus models. So, on that front, it's probably PP or skip it.

My intent with this thread wasn't to start a brand war. I have no personal axe to grind. I heard some concerning comments and was hoping to actually get reassured here that they were overblown. The reality, however, seems to be at least as bad as I had heard if not worse.

I know my personality, and a 6-18 month wait (battle?) when I need service would cause me way more aggravation than the joy I'd get from owning the watches.

Thanks to all who weighed in. I'm not on a religious crusade, and I have what info I was looking for, so I'll bow out of the discussion now.
Old 27 June 2017, 02:16 AM   #24
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The current PP service times would give me pause to buy a really complex complication such as a split seconds chronograph. Just think that watch probably needs service every 4 years if your lucky and they keep it a year. If you own it 40 years they have for TEN years of that time. That is hard to fathom.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 02:40 AM   #25
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Lange is certainly an option for dress-style watches. Unfortunately, I was most interested in PM and complicated Nautilus models. So, on that front, it's probably PP or skip it.
What about the Zeitwerk?
It’s not exactly complicated (as in moonphase, annual calendar, etc), but it’s not your typical dressy AL&S.

Or perhaps a RG Vacheron Constantin Overseas PC Chronograph, which gives you the option to play about with straps and the bracelet?
Old 27 June 2017, 02:58 AM   #26
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
What about the Zeitwerk?
It’s not exactly complicated (as in moonphase, annual calendar, etc), but it’s not your typical dressy AL&S.

Or perhaps a RG Vacheron Constantion Overseas PC Chronograph, which gives you the option to play about with straps and the bracelet?

Good choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 June 2017, 03:35 AM   #27
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Great suggestion on the VC Overseas Ultra-thin Perpetual. I hadn't seen that before. Thanks!
Old 27 June 2017, 03:52 AM   #28
PJ S
Banned

^
That’s the previous generation model, not the current one with quick strap-change mechanism and without the chronograph functionality.
The new 4300v is only available in WG, in case that’s an issue.
Old 27 June 2017, 07:45 AM   #29
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Shit happens, but on the 5 I owned, still have 3, not a glitch, I think your friends are super unlucky if your numbers are close to the truth, I would try not to see them too much, in case their bad luck goes on you.
Oh and PJ's choices are quite good
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 09:02 AM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I feel like we haven't seen as much complaining on wait times as before and seen a few threads where the work was done quicker than anticipated, so hopefully turnaround really is improving, PP certainly knew it was an issue. While it is a negative it is not fatal for most people who admire and like the watches and the brand.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote