The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 30 September 2013, 03:53 AM   #31
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
On a side note, it continually amazes me how label conscience we are that we would willingly pay such a premium for ink. Do we buy these watches for the Patek name on the dial or the Patek quality of the product? I am reminded of this phenomenon every time I pass a clothing rack with supersized logos embossed on the shirt front. It screams "I'm buying this for the logo and will pay a premium just so you can see it across the room!"
In this case, the Tiffany & Co print is a rarer incarnation of each model, and value generally increases with Patek watches based on rarity.
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2013, 04:01 AM   #32
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Quote:
"On average, T&Co dials on popular Patek models (in my personal experience a 5712) sell at a 15-17% premium to the non-T&co dials. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't."

If you paid full price at Tiffany's then you may already have accounted for your 15% premium. (Assuming that your experience accurately reflects the true market value at large)

On a side note, it continually amazes me how label conscience we are that we would willingly pay such a premium for ink. Do we buy these watches for the Patek name on the dial or the Patek quality of the product? I am reminded of this phenomenon every time I pass a clothing rack with supersized logos embossed on the shirt front. It screams "I'm buying this for the logo and will pay a premium just so you can see it across the room!"
But in case of Rolex we pay a premium for simply different color font... IMO that's even a bit sillier.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2013, 07:13 AM   #33
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Icon14 True, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
In this case, the Tiffany & Co print is a rarer incarnation of each model, and value generally increases with Patek watches based on rarity.
... I typically buy a watch because I like it. If it so happens to be a rarer model then I guess I'd have to pay a premium. I'm just saying that I don't buy a watch just because it's rare. I'm sure there are collectors who feel differently but I don't consider myself a collector, I just buy and wear what I enjoy. Eliminates a lot of the obsessing over resale, investment potential, etc that gets a bit ridiculous at times.

In the case if the Nautilus, I think its a fine timepiece, I just don't see any added value (to me) in having superfluous inscriptions.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2013, 07:22 AM   #34
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
... I typically buy a watch because I like it. If it so happens to be a rarer model then I guess I'd have to pay a premium. I'm just saying that I don't buy a watch just because it's rare. I'm sure there are collectors who feel differently but I don't consider myself a collector, I just buy and wear what I enjoy. Eliminates a lot of the obsessing over resale, investment potential, etc that gets a bit ridiculous at times.

In the case if the Nautilus, I think its a fine timepiece, I just don't see any added value (to me) in having superfluous inscriptions.
You asked a question. I answered your question....
Old 30 September 2013, 08:36 AM   #35
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
i find it a travesty when I see the Tiffany & Co name on dials

why?
+1. Not interested.
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2013, 11:14 AM   #36
newbieincali

I had one of the best experiences at the Patek area in Tiffany in Beverly Hills. While I was not in position to buy my holy grail yet they had one there and I found that the label did not detract from the dial or the entire beauty of the watch. I had a better experiences here than I have at the actual Patek boutique just a few hundred feet away.
newbieincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2013, 03:08 PM   #37
PatekCollector
"TRF" Member

I think the Pateks comes with Tiffany stamp on dial is awesome. Love their latest 5396G Tiffany/Patek anniversary.

Instagram: @PatekCollector
PatekCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2013, 03:16 PM   #38
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
i find it a travesty when I see the Tiffany & Co name on dials

why?
Agreed… I can't understand why anyone would ever ever want tiffany and co on their dial… terrible imo
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2013, 09:29 PM   #39
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Just curious

Does anyone know if the watches allocated to Tiffany and Co are co-branded by Patek before distribution or is this done after the watch is received at Tiffany's?
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2013, 11:26 PM   #40
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
With all the questions about value retention and rarity, this crowd is obsessed with more that just the horological aspect of each timepiece we acquire. If value was not in question, we wouldn't all be buying Rolex, as they are simple mechanically, boring and redundant for the most part. Yet, we do concern ourselves with questions such as 'what will this be worth down the line' - and that's perfectly normal and explainable with the amount of initial investment. So I am not quite sure where the question of T&Co and PP co-branding even holds water. Ask any professional watch dealer - this combination is much more rare, sells for more, and retains better value (and even fetches a premium) due to its low production numbers. Simple as that. So let's all be consistent, shall we? If we didn't care about future value, we'd be buying Gerald Gentas and Girard Perregaux watches, as many of them are far more superior horologically to Rolex.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2013, 11:37 PM   #41
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
I agree 100% on this point. Tiffany & Co is an exclusive jeweler but to my knowledge had nothing whatsoever to do with the production of this watch. The addition of the extra print adds nothing of value to the timepiece IMHO and i feel it actually detracts from is purity. It might as well have "Tony's Watch" printed on the dial for that matter. Cheapens the brand- Patek doesn't need a co-signature for validation. Just my opinion, no disrespect intended or implied to those who feel differently.

Where can i get one with "Tony's Watch"
Old 30 September 2013, 11:49 PM   #42
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Does anyone know if the watches allocated to Tiffany and Co are co-branded by Patek before distribution or is this done after the watch is received at Tiffany's?
I believe there is a video on Hodinkee where their reporter is trying to stamp the dials in NYC.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2013, 12:10 AM   #43
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I believe there is a video on Hodinkee where their reporter is trying to stamp the dials in NYC.
IIRC, from on article like that, it is stamped at the Henri Stern Watch Agency in NYC.
Old 6 October 2015, 01:46 AM   #44
Pingparme
"TRF" Member

Sorry, I know that the last post dated Sept 2013, my question is, Tiffany, by stamping their logo on the watch, doesn't that technically nullify the warranty from Patek?
Pingparme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 01:53 AM   #45
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingparme View Post
Sorry, I know that the last post dated Sept 2013, my question is, Tiffany, by stamping their logo on the watch, doesn't that technically nullify the warranty from Patek?
No. It's a partnership between brands that goes back many decades and I'm pretty sure Patek does the stamping.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:34 AM   #46
Pingparme
"TRF" Member

Oh alright. Thanks for the clarification GB-man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pingparme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 03:23 PM   #47
oneplustwo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
With all the questions about value retention and rarity, this crowd is obsessed with more that just the horological aspect of each timepiece we acquire. If value was not in question, we wouldn't all be buying Rolex, as they are simple mechanically, boring and redundant for the most part. Yet, we do concern ourselves with questions such as 'what will this be worth down the line' - and that's perfectly normal and explainable with the amount of initial investment. So I am not quite sure where the question of T&Co and PP co-branding even holds water. Ask any professional watch dealer - this combination is much more rare, sells for more, and retains better value (and even fetches a premium) due to its low production numbers. Simple as that. So let's all be consistent, shall we? If we didn't care about future value, we'd be buying Gerald Gentas and Girard Perregaux watches, as many of them are far more superior horologically to Rolex.
+1

It is a FACT that Tiffany co-branded hot models sell with a premium on secondary market. The print never bothers me. It is small and positioned properly. Making these prints are painstaking. They were not pre-printed back in Geneva. It's done in NYC, meaning it will take all hassle to open the case, do all the printing hand job and recase it and test in a dust free room. This process along will cost money. So it is fair to pay more for Tiffany co branded PPs.
oneplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 07:12 PM   #48
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
No. It's a partnership between brands that goes back many decades and I'm pretty sure Patek does the stamping.
You're right Patek does the stamping. There was a great article on Hodinkee https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pr...patek-philippe
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 07:50 PM   #49
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
They are super rare to find since you can only get them second hand or form tiffany themselves and you pay full retail price of the standard watch for the tiffany stamped dials
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:01 PM   #50
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
+1

It is a FACT that Tiffany co-branded hot models sell with a premium on secondary market. The print never bothers me. It is small and positioned properly. Making these prints are painstaking. They were not pre-printed back in Geneva. It's done in NYC, meaning it will take all hassle to open the case, do all the printing hand job and recase it and test in a dust free room. This process along will cost money. So it is fair to pay more for Tiffany co branded PPs.
It is worth noting that the printing is done by Patek in NYC and not Tiffanys (if it hasn't been noted already), lest people assume the dial is being molested by a third party.
Old 7 October 2015, 01:00 PM   #51
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
I like the Tiffany and Co. branding on the dials. It's a reminder of the historical partnership begun in 1851 between the two companies. Sure, Patek can stand on its own. But where would it stand today without the T&Co. partnership?
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 03:28 AM   #52
Hurimana
"TRF" Member

Watch: The one on wrist
Tiffany and Co 5164

I would like to be able to have my dog's name on my watches. His name is Rocco.
That would be quite a rare watch. "Hey, do you have the PP 5164 with "Rocco"?"
Hurimana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 03:29 AM   #53
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurimana View Post
I would like to be able to have my dog's name on my watches. His name is Rocco.
That would be quite a rare watch. "Hey, do you have the PP 5164 with "Rocco"?"
Oh grief an old thread and a new trioll!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote