The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 June 2017, 06:17 AM   #31
whinetime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO1 View Post

The same question could be asked about Rolex from a Tag, Longines or Oris owner. I guess it is all about what we value and prefer.
Great point this, well said
whinetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 10:17 AM   #32
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
A WG sub is a great watch, and one I have thought about in the past. Nothing beats a Rolex for simple durability.

But if you ever get a chance, hold a SS Sub or any other Rolex and a SS Patek (if you can find one) Or a RO 15400 and honestly tell me you can't feel the difference. The level of finishing and overall feel are on another level.

Even my Rolex AD was admiring my Aquanaut the last time I was in his shop.
Yeah I've had some Rolex sales people even take pics of my Nautilus.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:38 AM   #33
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
It's just dependent on what's important to you. If you appreciate exceptional finishing then brands like AP, PP, ALS are worth trying. I enjoy them all. Frankly can't beat the value of a braceleted PM Rolex watch.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:40 AM   #34
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yeah I've had some Rolex sales people even take pics of my Nautilus.
I have never seen a more excited group than when I had my Lange 1815 in the omega boutique! They genuinely loved it.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 10:40 PM   #35
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I have never seen a more excited group than when I had my Lange 1815 in the omega boutique! They genuinely loved it.
Yes, not only are a lot of them actual WIS but they are also allowed to fully show their interest, which is really against the grain in ole demure England. The manager of one AD was so taken with my RG 5711 that I promised to wear it again when I went back in for a new strap and he even offered to open his long closed D500 list for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:46 PM   #36
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yes, not only are a lot of them actual WIS but they are also allowed to fully show their interest, which is really against the grain in ole demure England. The manager of one AD was so taken with my RG 5711 that I promised to wear it again when I went back in for a new strap and he even offered to open his long closed D500 list for me.
PPs are the golden ticket when shopping for watches
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 12:24 AM   #37
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Theoretically at least, gold is the more corrosion resistant metal...
More than 904L steel? Seems a bit dubious, and I think the gold is less scratch/ding resistant.

Quote:
Rolex uses 904L stainless steel for its steel watch cases. 904L is mainly used in the high technology, aerospace and chemical industries, where maximum resistance to corrosion is essential. A superalloy, 904L is extremely resistant and highly polishable. It maintains its beauty even in the harshest environments.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:45 AM   #38
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
More than 904L steel? Seems a bit dubious, and I think the gold is less scratch/ding resistant.
Nothing dubious about it. No doubt about the scratch affinity of gold, but it's hard to think of a more corrosion resistant material, 904L steel included. Wreck divers bring up Spanish doubloons that have lived underseas for hundreds of years still looking great. Unlikely that any stainless Submariner would fare as well, no disrespect intended.

My comment was intended as a lighthearted defense of gold, not an indictment on Rolex steel. I'm pretty sure the 904L will last longer than both of us.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 04:32 AM   #39
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
A lot of the fuss is about the high quality of movement finish in PP and AP watches not found on the Rolex. Really not comparable products in my view.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 04:42 AM   #40
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
For the past 20 years with owning most of the popular Rolex sports lineup, I find myself stuck with watches that are similar; the turning point comes from the inflated (IMHO) prices of the 116520 / 16710 /16610LV which seems ridiculous.

I find my first PP to be a finely crafted piece of art which does one thing, time keeping exceedingly well, the level of fit and finish is outstanding. Until I had one in my hand never had I thought artisanal watch making have an effect on me.

This journey is one that grows with interest and age, some may get it while there is no wrong going without. A similar experience to the appreciation of vintage pieces, you could get totally smitten.
Old 29 June 2017, 09:16 AM   #41
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
I have six watches in my collection and only one duplication of brands, Rolex GMT Master II, and a Rolex Ceramic Submariner. Of the other watches, I own a VC Patrimony, Patek Annual Calendar and the AP 15202 Jumbo. I love the Rolex sports watches in steel but can't see myself buying one in PM (although the white gold Smurf and Pepsi are really cool), because I feel that precious metal watches are more for wearing a suit and for that, I prefer more of a refined watch.

Once you have owned one of these haute horology watches (VC, PP, AP, Lange, JLC), you really develop an appreciation of the detail and craftsmanship that goes into each watch. I had a chance recently to take a tour of the AP manufacturer in Le Brassus in Switzerland and I was truly amazed at how each piece of the watch is so meticulously finished. they had a small petri dish that had what looked like dust. Upon looking at this with a loupe, we realized that they were little tiny screws. If you look at them under the microscope, you could also see that the head of each screw was black polished. They had a screwdriver that looked like a needle to put these tiny screws in. It was truly amazing. You can see and appreciate how much hand labor goes into creating these masterpieces. That's not the case with Rolex where they churn out over 1 million watches per year.

I look at it as the difference between mass production and creating great works of art. It is like gaining an appreciation for fine wines. Sure, there are a lot of much cheaper wines out there that taste very good (and they'll certainly serve the purpose of getting you drunk), but once you have learned to differentiate and appreciate the difference between a $7 bottle of wine and a $70 bottle of wine, it is hard to go back.

It is true that they are not generally as robust as a Rolex and more expensive to service (not surprising because all of the parts are polished and finished by hand), but if you can appreciate the craftsmanship and all of the work that goes into it, you will know they are truly special pieces.

And like others have said, if you walk into any watch shop wearing a Patek, you do get treated a lot differently than if you walk in wearing a Rolex.

But in the end, you have to go with what makes you happy and there is certainly nothing wrong with Rolex. Most of us who own Patek and AP's also likely have a number of Rolexes in our collections, so they are great watches to be sure.

Good luck with your journey.
Old 29 June 2017, 04:21 PM   #42
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
There are also a number of videos on the AP forum and YouTube describing the "making of" AP watches, I would encourage anyone to watch those as well.
Old 10 July 2017, 11:41 AM   #43
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Agree with what others have said. I love my Rolex watches and am VERY happy with my current SD4K and Daytona C. That being said, I have owned a 5712/1A in the past and it is a different level of watch making compared to Rolex. You really have to try on a Patek to appreciate the style, finish and complication (in many situations). I was recently at my local Patek dealer in Dallas (deBoulle) and they always have a great selection...better than any other Patek AD I have been to outside of the boutiques. While there I tried on a 5270R and it was absolutely AMAZING!! My Rolex watches are perfect for me and where I am currently in life, but I would love to own a 5270 at some point...it is simply a different timepiece ownership experience to have a complicated Patek.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 01:50 PM   #44
Benjamin Choi
"TRF" Member

I want one or more of each, but if only one for some stupid reason, the Rolex is the must have of the three.

I can't even think of anything above a pm nautilus at this time such as the 5980r. Anything above is YouTube video clips for me like the pagani zonda LH I want to steal from the man himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Benjamin Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 03:01 PM   #45
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyfsu21 View Post
What's the big deal w/ Patek & AP? Why are they so coveted? I guess I just don't get it. I would take my 116619LB any day of the week over anything either of those two brands puts out. Am I missing something? Neither is as functional as my submariner.... With that being said, someone please sell me on either brand because I'm open to expanding my collection but I just need to feel good about it. Nothing says "satisfaction" like a PM Rolex Sub IMHO.
You need to inspect one carefully instead of asking on the forum. If you do that and you still don't get it, then they're not for you!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 03:02 PM   #46
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
It's just dependent on what's important to you. If you appreciate exceptional finishing then brands like AP, PP, ALS are worth trying. I enjoy them all. Frankly can't beat the value of a braceleted PM Rolex watch.
I agree on this one, I love my YG GMT.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 04:17 AM   #47
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
You need to inspect one carefully instead of asking on the forum. If you do that and you still don't get it, then they're not for you!
Exactly, if seeing one in real and inspecting it doesn't make you fall for, then they are not for you, nothing wrong with that, me I'll take a SS
PP over any gold Rolex...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote