The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2015, 01:22 AM   #31
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Just flip it for another piece
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 01:23 AM   #32
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by johneh View Post
This makes no sense. There's no way it would be designed in a way that would allow for less water resistance at depths that 99% of the people wearing them are diving to. Rolex surely understands that nearly everyone wearing a DSSD is not going to hit 30m, let alone 200m. OP probably just got a dud.
Read post #3 again; it's not just the OP.

Sorry to hear about this, OP. I'm actively searching for a Deepsea D-Blue but I'm having second thoughts now. Mine won't ever go deeper than 30 metres, but........

Good luck and I hope Rolex RSC do the decent thing. If not, try writing directly to Geneva. Worse thing that can happen is you lose half hour of your life and £1 for a stamp. On the plus side, they might even sort it or replace it. I wrote to them about the magnification on my Submariner and they organised a replacement crystal. Slightly less troublesome than your issue but going straight to the organ grinder and bypassing the monkey might help.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 01:34 AM   #33
Cdn328is
Banned

Watch: 114060
Getting fed up with my DSSD.....

Quote:
This makes no sense. There's no way it would be designed in a way that would allow for less water resistance at depths that 99% of the people wearing them are diving to. Rolex surely understands that nearly everyone wearing a DSSD is not going to hit 30m, let alone 200m. OP probably just got a dud.

Well if you read the Rolex DSSD material Rolex claim that "(...) the water pressure itself forces the three core components of the ringlock system, including the case back, tighter and tighter together as depth increases, naturally reinforcing the hermetic seal of the case."

The company itself claims that the water resistance increases with depth.

And you can't really argue with the fact that when you increase the number of components joined together, you increase the number of entry points for water and moisture. Whether this more complex design is the cause of the reported issues or not, I do not know, but I think that it's a valid hypothesis.
Cdn328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 01:46 AM   #34
johneh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn328is View Post
Well if you read the Rolex DSSD material Rolex claim that "(...) the water pressure itself forces the three core components of the ringlock system, including the case back, tighter and tighter together as depth increases, naturally reinforcing the hermetic seal of the case."

The company itself claims that the water resistance increases with depth.

And you can't really argue with the fact that when you increase the number of components joined together, you increase the number of entry points for water and moisture. Whether this more complex design is the cause of the reported issues or not, I do not know, but I think that it's a valid hypothesis.
I know that they claim that. I just have a very hard time thinking they'd design something that could handle depths that no one will ever go to while ignoring the shallow depths that people will go to.
johneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 01:46 AM   #35
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanaut View Post
Yes, never had a problem with it <the 16600>. Wear that when home from offshore now
It sounds like the DSSD is over-engineered for looks, but it isn't really built for actual professional use like the 16600 was.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 01:48 AM   #36
johneh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Read post #3 again; it's not just the OP
Post #3 just said other divers are reporting fog, it doesn't specify that they're also using a DSSD. We probably understood it differently.
Old 24 June 2015, 02:03 AM   #37
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Post #3 just said other divers are reporting fog, it doesn't specify that they're also using a DSSD. We probably understood it differently.
Fair point and one that certainly needs clarification However, if it was other pieces and/or brands, I think it more likely the OP would've said so, purely on the basis that he previously said his Omega went tits up after a service. Just my 2p/3c but hopefully OP will let us know.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 24 June 2015, 02:15 AM   #38
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
I love my SD4000 but if I were an actual saturation diver I'd be wearing my SBBN013 and not look back

Remember, Seiko once spoke to a pissed-off saturation diver nearly 50 years ago and they worked for years to solve his case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaMJxOfouF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmqoq3LIDmM

If I were Rolex and just got off the phone with an actual sat diver using my product and not happy, I'd be sending another for free. You're like a real life brand ambassador!
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 02:28 AM   #39
johneh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Fair point and one that certainly needs clarification However, if it was other pieces and/or brands, I think it more likely the OP would've said so, purely on the basis that he previously said his Omega went tits up after a service. Just my 2p/3c but hopefully OP will let us know.
Old 24 June 2015, 02:32 AM   #40
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
My DSSD will likely never see depths like this unless it falls off of a cruise ship, but I would be pretty upset if I bought an over engineered watch and it failed on a regular basis in its intended environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 02:34 AM   #41
trackntrail
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
This is very surprising to hear and really bad for such a sat diver specific watch from Rolex. I'd definitely contact them in Geneva about getting this sorted out/replaced.
trackntrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 02:42 AM   #42
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra11b View Post
If I were Rolex and just got off the phone with an actual sat diver using my product and not happy, I'd be sending another for free. You're like a real life brand ambassador!
Yeah, I would definitely try talking to Rolex and writing a letter to them letting them know that you are a saturation diver using the DSSD and making them away of all the issues you have been having.
Old 24 June 2015, 03:15 AM   #43
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
One would assume that the watch was assembled in a (relatively) high humidity environment. (Switzerland of course)

I had the same problem with an expensive GShock and it turns out that they are assembled in a jungle type environment somewhere in the Far East.

There is no way for that H2O to escape in a DSSD once it's sealed. However, misting of the crystal is just that. It certainly is no indication of a leak of any type.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 03:56 AM   #44
Cdn328is
Banned

Watch: 114060
Getting fed up with my DSSD.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
One would assume that the watch was assembled in a (relatively) high humidity environment. (Switzerland of course)

I had the same problem with an expensive GShock and it turns out that they are assembled in a jungle type environment somewhere in the Far East.

There is no way for that H2O to escape in a DSSD once it's sealed. However, misting of the crystal is just that. It certainly is no indication of a leak of any type.

I think that it's a safe assumption that Rolex has air conditioning to control the level of humidity in their assembly plant, especially where they assemble a $12,000.00 saturation diving watch. We're pretty far from a $75 GShock, as much as I love them...

Rolex also tests for misting in one of their many water resistance and QC test. I would propose that it's much more likely that humidity got in the watch after it left he RSC, especially since the OP stated that the misting only appeared after the last few dives.
Cdn328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 08:20 AM   #45
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
The OP isn't reporting a flood, which would indicate an in water leak, he's reporting a fog.

Everyone is assuming that the moisture entered the watch while in the water. It could also have entered the watch while in the saturation chamber on the vessel between dives. In the chamber the watch equalizes to bottom pressures (hence the need for the helium escape valve). Gas is entering the watch.

If the DSSD has a design flaw that allows even very small amounts of moisture to penetrate the envelope during saturation, the moisture will appear as a fog. It shouldn't take very much moisture to be noticeable. He states other divers have the same problem.

The typical DSSD owner would never be in saturation and might never experience the issue, which would lead to an impression that the watch doesn't have any issues. But that impression is flawed in context of the design purpose of this watch to be used for saturation diving.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 08:21 AM   #46
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Sad to hear, I wonder how much real world testing these watches get. Because of there price I would bet very few people use them for what there intended for. Testing in a machine is different then testing real world. If I were Rolex I would want his watch to study and figure out what's going on. I hope this works out for u and u can continue using the watch for its intended purpose. id love to see your watch!
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 09:40 AM   #47
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Not to sound facetious; I would flip it for a GS diver...
Old 24 June 2015, 10:09 AM   #48
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I think Abdullah71601 above is on to something. First extremely rare for owner of this watch to be in hyperbaric chamber after dive so this issue is not going to come up. Interesting the OP says other divers experience the fogging as if it may be normal. I think the OP's main concern is timekeeping is terrible-I think he said 2 minutes per day off after regulation at RSC. This may have nothing to do with fogging but I am curious about it. He notes fogging between 2-4 o'clock from center. Directly opposite HEV flaring out from center. Normal? Would like to hear back from OP. Great thread.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 11:31 AM   #49
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Reminds me of the Zenith Respirator design. Could withstand depth pressures far beyond what it looked like it could handle, but leaked like an old rusty boat until it got to a depth to compress the case.
Old 24 June 2015, 11:41 AM   #50
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Reminds me of the Zenith Respirator design. Could withstand depth pressures far beyond what it looked like it could handle, but leaked like an old rusty boat until it got to a depth to compress the case.
You would think that so many components have to compress to make it WR to 3.9k metres, there's likely to be the potential for some give at lower depths, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ringlock.jpg (185.1 KB, 1194 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 11:43 AM   #51
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Very disappointing...
Old 24 June 2015, 12:34 PM   #52
Suboc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanaut View Post
183m is the deepest. Been diving now at 120m but decompressing now. Other divers have also reported fogging in the lens
Can you clarify. Are other divers working with you reporting that they are having the exact same problem with their DSSD as well?
Suboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 01:11 PM   #53
gyro
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex
I don't think it is the water
I think it is the decompression
the air in there isn't topside air its a mixture of gasses
I think the watch is leaking air from the gasses in the decompression on the rubber seals
Rolex and others test in submersion under water --- they don't test in pressurized gas
AND he will spend 1 hr in water 10 in pressurization making the ratio of wet to dry under pressure point to a gas problem not a water problem
that's my guess :)

Last edited by gyro; 24 June 2015 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: spelling
gyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 03:36 PM   #54
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
The OP isn't reporting a flood, which would indicate an in water leak, he's reporting a fog.

Everyone is assuming that the moisture entered the watch while in the water. It could also have entered the watch while in the saturation chamber on the vessel between dives. In the chamber the watch equalizes to bottom pressures (hence the need for the helium escape valve). Gas is entering the watch.

If the DSSD has a design flaw that allows even very small amounts of moisture to penetrate the envelope during saturation, the moisture will appear as a fog. It shouldn't take very much moisture to be noticeable. He states other divers have the same problem.

The typical DSSD owner would never be in saturation and might never experience the issue, which would lead to an impression that the watch doesn't have any issues. But that impression is flawed in context of the design purpose of this watch to be used for saturation diving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyro View Post
I don't think it is the water
I think it is the decompression
the air in there isn't topside air its a mixture of gasses
I think the watch is leaking air from the gasses in the decompression on the rubber seals
Rolex and others test in submersion under water --- they don't test in pressurized gas
AND he will spend 1 hr in water 10 in pressurization making the ratio of wet to dry under pressure point to a gas problem not a water problem
This seems to make the most sense....

Very disappointing in the least...

and the time keeping????

So sorry to hear these troubles...if I'm this disappointed without spending $12k I can't imagine how you feel.

Hope they bend over backwards for you to re-establish their image.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 06:26 PM   #55
steptoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyro View Post

I know a diver that spends many days continously living in a chamber while working/diving professionally.
Pointless spending hours decompressing after a deep dive and then going back down the next day and doing it all over again.

He wears an old 16660.
Old 24 June 2015, 07:37 PM   #56
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra11b View Post
I love my SD4000 but if I were an actual saturation diver I'd be wearing my SBBN013 and not look back

Remember, Seiko once spoke to a pissed-off saturation diver nearly 50 years ago and they worked for years to solve his case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaMJxOfouF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmqoq3LIDmM

All will certainly be good with the Seiko until it falls off the wrist unexpectedly because the rubber strap suddenly broke.
At that point I should imagine it will go to the bottom and never be seen again.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 08:09 PM   #57
artschool
"TRF" Member

op. would love to see some pics of your diving!
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 10:03 PM   #58
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post

I'm not convinced it's a leak either. I'm beginning to think that the watch was reassembled after service in an environment of relatively high humidity and air is trapped inside the watch.

When a parcel of air is cooled below the dew-point, the moisture in that parcel will condense on a surface. I only know this happens at constant barometric pressure, so what happens at those depths and that pressure I'm not sure.

Old 24 June 2015, 11:21 PM   #59
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
IMO, it's got a leak.

If this fog is outside the watch, not a big deal as rapid temp changes can cause condensation. If the 'fog' is present INSIDE the watch, that means there is water present. Water present inside the watch indicates a leak. As far as humidity being the cause (when it was cased)...Rolex has the only machine capable of pressure testing the DSSD. Unless the OP sent his watch to someone else to have it pressure tested....I am certain the humidity level in a Rolex shop environment is controlled, so I'd say we can rule that out.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2015, 02:02 AM   #60
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
IMO, it's got a leak.

If this fog is outside the watch, not a big deal as rapid temp changes can cause condensation. If the 'fog' is present INSIDE the watch, that means there is water present. Water present inside the watch indicates a leak. As far as humidity being the cause (when it was cased)...Rolex has the only machine capable of pressure testing the DSSD. Unless the OP sent his watch to someone else to have it pressure tested....I am certain the humidity level in a Rolex shop environment is controlled, so I'd say we can rule that out.
If it was outside, he'd wipe it off and there would be no issue. It's inside which indicates moisture, not necessarily 'water'.

If there was a leak, I'd have thought enough water would have got inside at those sort of depths to be visible inside the watch, not just an indicative presence in the form of condensation. You ever got inside your car on a cold morning and your windows misted up? Was your car full of water? Probably not.

The humidity in a service centre should be controlled, yes, but was it? How can it be ruled out without proof?

I'm not trying to blow you out of the water here (boom boom ) but without a little more information, nothing is conclusive and nothing can be ruled out.