The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 March 2022, 05:42 PM   #1
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

37mm RO - What are my chances really?

I'd generally dismissed being able to get a RO as being 'unobtanium' however I decided to take a visit to a boutique over the weekend. The attitude of the SA was honestly very refreshing - certainly compared to certain other big brands where you just get greeted by a flat no.

I explained that I have a big birthday coming up and that it would be a dream to add an AP. The birthday is still 2 years away yet.

The SA explained everything and how difficult it can be but she suggested I add my name now and that "you never know". So i've asked for the white dial 37mm RO in steel (both the 15450 and 15550 - whichever lands is fine).

In reality, what are my chances of one landing? Timing isn't an issue. I'm more than happy to wait. But I don't want to just live in blind hope either.

She did seem quite positive and just said that if I don't get the 50th anniversary this year there's a chance next year. I don't know how much of this was just sales speak though.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 05:52 PM   #2
AG_Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26331ST/116710BLNR
Imo it is unlikely you get either in 2022 unless you already have an established relationship with purchase history. I’ve spoken with 3 SA’s and they’ve already selected who is getting all of their expected allocations for the year and did not allocate anything to new customers. Next year is another story, but for 2022 they are trying to put the anniversary rotors with existing clientele from what Ive gathered.

To be fair it is not unusual to wait 18+ months for a 15500 in any color and that goes for the last several years. The 37mm was easier to get but due to demand its in a similar situation as the 15500.

I waited 22 months for my 15500, and never got offered the 15500. They offered the 26331st and I accepted. I am now 20 months waiting for my 15500 the second time around, but she did say I should expect an allocation this year.

Don’t get discouraged just a tough time to get into the brand. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AG_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 06:33 PM   #3
DonLee
"TRF" Member

i think you being honest and genuine, they might be able to arrange it for your special day, 2 years from now. They do want watches to be loved and treasured and special life moments are a good match.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 07:02 PM   #4
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
i think you being honest and genuine, they might be able to arrange it for your special day, 2 years from now. They do want watches to be loved and treasured and special life moments are a good match.
Have to agree with this.

I believe AP boutiques are a lot 'less transactional' than the ADs, where they have to (it's their business model basically) judge you based on your previous spend.

With AP, I've seen examples of folks that come across as presentable, and generally good potential representatives of the brand, getting their first ROs eventually. AP boutique sales reps seem to actually appreciate that their customers don't flaunt and are lower profile - reason I say this is because I've seen AP reps appreciate their customers for not bragging about their allocations, as bragging would result in the rep's other customers hounding them about not getting the allocation! AP is generally looks beneath the surface, as evident in them selling the 50 anni Royal Oaks to long term low profile customers, versus Vacheron where they are adopting an Instagram blitz marketing strategy and allocating the Everest watch to only high profile celebs/influencers; I get that both situations 100% comparable, but the difference in approach is evident.

Long winded way of saying, if you come across as a good genuine dude, and time is no issue, I strongly believe you'll eventually get one. I get that this is one comment that could make you roll your eyes, but I honestly feel that AP tries to do things differently.
Obviously things can change and no one's got a crystal ball.
crispyness87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 07:19 PM   #5
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. I think these replies offer me that glimmer of hope I was looking for and they're really helpful.

It was a strange experience - in a really good way. She asked if I had a profile and obviously I said no. I literally hadn't even walked into any AP store before. But when I explained the birthday she was genuinely very receptive and helpful. She talked me through all the watches and set me up with a profile. She then also said she would get me an invite to the golf tournament later in the year. She actually asked my handicap and t-shirt size.

One thing I've noticed is that the local dealers are now 'Boutiques' and no longer seem to be under the ownership of the local partnership Seddiqi. I think this really helps as allocations are now dealt with by the brand themself.
Old 1 March 2022, 08:31 PM   #6
DuskRouter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
I'd generally dismissed being able to get a RO as being 'unobtanium' however I decided to take a visit to a boutique over the weekend. The attitude of the SA was honestly very refreshing - certainly compared to certain other big brands where you just get greeted by a flat no.

I explained that I have a big birthday coming up and that it would be a dream to add an AP. The birthday is still 2 years away yet.

The SA explained everything and how difficult it can be but she suggested I add my name now and that "you never know". So i've asked for the white dial 37mm RO in steel (both the 15450 and 15550 - whichever lands is fine).

In reality, what are my chances of one landing? Timing isn't an issue. I'm more than happy to wait. But I don't want to just live in blind hope either.

She did seem quite positive and just said that if I don't get the 50th anniversary this year there's a chance next year. I don't know how much of this was just sales speak though.
Isn't the 15450 discontinued? I'm also looking to get a 37mm RO (I'm fine with white, grey or blue) for my upcoming wedding in like 2 years. I don't mind getting the 15450 too if they're still going to allocate those haha
DuskRouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 08:41 PM   #7
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskRouter View Post
Isn't the 15450 discontinued? I'm also looking to get a 37mm RO (I'm fine with white, grey or blue) for my upcoming wedding in like 2 years. I don't mind getting the 15450 too if they're still going to allocate those haha
They said they did't yet know, but it is still shown on the website.

In all likelihood I think yes it is probably discontinued. The real chance we both stand is for the non-50 year models next year.

I actually don't find the 50th anniversary rotor particularly good looking, but I wouldn't say no
Old 1 March 2022, 09:11 PM   #8
DuskRouter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They said they did't yet know, but it is still shown on the website.

In all likelihood I think yes it is probably discontinued. The real chance we both stand is for the non-50 year models next year.

I actually don't find the 50th anniversary rotor particularly good looking, but I wouldn't say no
Same, I prefer the gold rotor in the 15450. The 50th anniversary would definitely fetch a higher resale value but I'd still prefer to wear one with a gold rotor lol, hope they bring it back next year :)
Old 1 March 2022, 09:26 PM   #9
mattidk
"TRF" Member

Awaiting for my 37mm RO too since 2020, too bad i found one in white in 2019 but did not decide to take it.
mattidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 10:37 PM   #10
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

it's possible within your 2 year window. it's just up to you on whether or not you're willing to take the gamble and possibly have to wait longer while grey prices potentially keep rising, but on the other hand they could also cool off. it's a gamble on every side here imo but i don't see it happening this year

also i feel like the 37mm is lagging in the grey market. i get that it's a smaller size but the non blue 15500s are going for almost 2x the price of non blue 15450s currently
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 11:15 PM   #11
DuskRouter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
it's possible within your 2 year window. it's just up to you on whether or not you're willing to take the gamble and possibly have to wait longer while grey prices potentially keep rising, but on the other hand they could also cool off. it's a gamble on every side here imo but i don't see it happening this year

also i feel like the 37mm is lagging in the grey market. i get that it's a smaller size but the non blue 15500s are going for almost 2x the price of non blue 15450s currently
The demand for 37mm is way lesser as it's considered too small for most people, so I think it's always going to lag behind
Old 1 March 2022, 11:16 PM   #12
aldyrifqi
"TRF" Member

i got 15450 in august for 2 months waiting, my SA is very nice. she's quiet didn't talk a lot so I assumed that I'm not gonna get what i want. buy she surprised me, and 2 months after that my wife got 15451 the 3 months after that i got my 38 chrono. we will never now, just be honest maintain your communication
aldyrifqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 12:50 AM   #13
Jsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, AP, DD,
AP folks consider themselves in the business of judgment vs sales right now. They are extremely selective with 50th anniversary allocations and all names and profiles have to be approved by corporate. So far I've not seen much for resale so they are doing a good job of sniff testing for flippers. They told me that every watch they sell is the equivalent of giving away $30-50k+ in equity given the market. What they value is authenticity and passion and are excited to bring more people into the brand. I think you have a solid change of landing one with continued relationship building!

Old 2 March 2022, 01:27 AM   #14
DuskRouter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsol View Post
AP folks consider themselves in the business of judgment vs sales right now. They are extremely selective with 50th anniversary allocations and all names and profiles have to be approved by corporate. So far I've not seen much for resale so they are doing a good job of sniff testing for flippers. They told me that every watch they sell is the equivalent of giving away $30-50k+ in equity given the market. What they value is authenticity and passion and are excited to bring more people into the brand. I think you have a solid change of landing one with continued relationship building!

I just made my first appointment with them on the 14th and hope they like me enough lol. Would be a dream come true to put on the 15550 for my wedding in about 2 years from now. I've actually been looking at the Royal Oaks since 2014-2015 and I'm finally in a good position to purchase one but it's just bad timing given the current situation
Old 2 March 2022, 01:56 AM   #15
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The demand for 37mm is way lesser as it's considered too small for most people, so I think it's always going to lag behind
yeah i get that, i don't think it'll ever be the same premiums as the 41s but half the price is a bit odd
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 01:56 AM   #16
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you for this. On the relationship building front, obviously there’s not really anything I could buy but is it worth just saying hello every so often?

I also forgot to add that she has told me she would invite me in to try on the next 37mm that lands in store (obviously for another customer) so that I can try one on.
Old 2 March 2022, 02:21 AM   #17
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Oh, that's a very interesting way of phrasing it! Judgement vs sales.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 06:52 AM   #18
szlive
"TRF" Member

What are the chances of getting the 37mm ROs but in precious metals / with diamonds? Model numbers 15551ST or 15551OR.

I don't mind having some bling on the watch, and previously I've heard these models are not impossible to get in a short time frame. However, maybe with the 50th Anniversary rotors, even these models are completely allocated for 2022.
szlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 08:19 AM   #19
Jsol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Oh, that's a very interesting way of phrasing it! Judgement vs sales.

Literal quote from them. They feel they have a lot of responsibly right now. Tough place for them.

Old 2 March 2022, 01:05 PM   #20
poliwog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just made my first appointment with them on the 14th and hope they like me enough lol. Would be a dream come true to put on the 15550 for my wedding in about 2 years from now. I've actually been looking at the Royal Oaks since 2014-2015 and I'm finally in a good position to purchase one but it's just bad timing given the current situation
sorry to burst your bubble, but honestly don't get your hopes high. in SG it's way too competitive, probably tons of people before you have already made the request. they don't even have enough stocks for their existing customers with purchase history.

early 2021 was probably the last period that the 37mm was still obtainable without buying anything else. 2H 2021 onwards.. i think you have better chances of striking 4D. Haha
poliwog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 05:20 PM   #21
DuskRouter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poliwog View Post
sorry to burst your bubble, but honestly don't get your hopes high. in SG it's way too competitive, probably tons of people before you have already made the request. they don't even have enough stocks for their existing customers with purchase history.

early 2021 was probably the last period that the 37mm was still obtainable without buying anything else. 2H 2021 onwards.. i think you have better chances of striking 4D. Haha
Yeah I know it's really tough right now.. but it seems like if they're moving towards welcoming more people to the brand, then purchase history would not matter as much as before? Btw, are you from SG or do you have any friends living here who can't get their hands on one?
Old 2 March 2022, 05:39 PM   #22
poliwog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I know it's really tough right now.. but it seems like if they're moving towards welcoming more people to the brand, then purchase history would not matter as much as before? Btw, are you from SG or do you have any friends living here who can't get their hands on one?
they are. but let's put things into some context.. if one year ago you had requested for one, your odds of getting it is probably 1 in 10. because there are probably 9 others asking for the same watch during that same period.

right now it's probably a few hundred people before you. so effectively, your odds has become something like 1 in 300-500. supply has not increased at all, but demand has absolutely gone bonkers.

they are effectively "giving" you $30k SGD by selling you a 37mm royal oak, so you really need to find a strong enough reason for them to do it. the typical "milestone" like birthday/wedding/huge work promotion etc, is probably used by almost everyone else stepping through that door
Old 2 March 2022, 05:51 PM   #23
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All I can tell you from my brief encounter at the weekend was that there were certain models which the sales lady said were basically off limits as they go to existing clients.

She directed me toward the 37mm and also advised I put my name against the 38mm chronograph too.

That wasn't me pushing for those, it was her suggesting I register my interest. On colour, she also said blue is the most popular and so we agreed on white dial.

I honestly feel that if there was no chance she would have told me as such. She didn't promise anything either way, but it felt sincere and the fact I was a new customer seemed a non-issue.
Old 2 March 2022, 06:06 PM   #24
poliwog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All I can tell you from my brief encounter at the weekend was that there were certain models which the sales lady said were basically off limits as they go to existing clients.

She directed me toward the 37mm and also advised I put my name against the 38mm chronograph too.

That wasn't me pushing for those, it was her suggesting I register my interest. On colour, she also said blue is the most popular and so we agreed on white dial.

I honestly feel that if there was no chance she would have told me as such. She didn't promise anything either way, but it felt sincere and the fact I was a new customer seemed a non-issue.
of course they aren't going to say to your face that there's no chance to obtain ANY model. that would spoil the brand experience totally, wouldnt it? :)
Old 2 March 2022, 07:17 PM   #25
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
of course they aren't going to say to your face that there's no chance to obtain ANY model. that would spoil the brand experience totally, wouldnt it? :)
They can be pretty blunt here. You would expect they would push me toward two tone or a Code - but that was not the case. Rolex staff here have no problems openly stating there is no chance for most models.

Anyways, lets see. No rush from my part and I'm happy to sit and wait.
Old 2 March 2022, 10:13 PM   #26
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
OP, based on your experience, and my own, I’d say you have a decent chance of getting this watch. I had a very similar experience with the brand last August, and was allocated a 15450 white dial within two months. The fact that I was clearly an enthusiast and was actively learning about AP from the sales associate (I was totally new to the brand, though had other watches) made all the difference in the world. They were teaching me about the brand, and I was actively learning, and it was obvious I was not a flipper. Subsequently, my sales associate offered me another RO reference, which I politely refused because I had no interest in it. We both laughed about how refreshing it was to be behaving normally (not buying things solely on ability to sell for profit). So I’ve been offered two RO within 5 months with zero history with the brand, bought one, passed on the other.

Stay optimistic, and post photos to the thread when you get the call!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 12:59 AM   #27
poliwog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
OP, based on your experience, and my own, I’d say you have a decent chance of getting this watch. I had a very similar experience with the brand last August, and was allocated a 15450 white dial within two months. The fact that I was clearly an enthusiast and was actively learning about AP from the sales associate (I was totally new to the brand, though had other watches) made all the difference in the world. They were teaching me about the brand, and I was actively learning, and it was obvious I was not a flipper. Subsequently, my sales associate offered me another RO reference, which I politely refused because I had no interest in it. We both laughed about how refreshing it was to be behaving normally (not buying things solely on ability to sell for profit). So I’ve been offered two RO within 5 months with zero history with the brand, bought one, passed on the other.

Stay optimistic, and post photos to the thread when you get the call!
yes, because you are in the US. in singapore it's entirely different. it's all about purchase history in SG. the number of wealthy individuals considering how small the country is is insane.
Old 3 March 2022, 01:34 AM   #28
Mr.GL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yes, because you are in the US. in singapore it's entirely different. it's all about purchase history in SG. the number of wealthy individuals considering how small the country is is insane.
Indeed, it's extremely challenging in SG. There are many wealthy South East Asians and Chineses . Having said that , it's still depends all the SA and luck. If one can't wait, go grey, else have faith , trust the process and pray hard. . Lastly , AP SAs are very professional.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Mr.GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2022, 12:05 PM   #29
Jsol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for this. On the relationship building front, obviously there’s not really anything I could buy but is it worth just saying hello every so often?

I also forgot to add that she has told me she would invite me in to try on the next 37mm that lands in store (obviously for another customer) so that I can try one on.

Oh yes I always keep in touch! Also, they are getting pummeled with texts, emails etc so mail a card. It's more likely to break through the noise.