The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 March 2013, 01:26 AM   #1
dgguidry
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600, 16710
Opinions on 1680

Hi, My son wanted a vintage Rolex. I purchsed this 1680 for him. What are your thoughts? Did I make a mistake? What would you do to this watch? Bracelet or strap? As soon as I receive the watch, I will post additional pics. I know a lot of you will not approve, but he is graduating from Tulane in May, I was conidering having bezel replaced with green, since this is Tulane color.

Thanks

Darrell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC186039.jpg (53.9 KB, 458 views)
dgguidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2013, 04:34 AM   #2
dgguidry
"TRF" Member

Any advice/opinions? Two more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC186050.jpg (61.8 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg PC186051.jpg (52.7 KB, 437 views)
Old 8 March 2013, 04:43 AM   #3
kooltzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5512
I would first go to an Ad and check it for authenticity. I also looked at this ebay auction and I am not sure it is really ok. So I would check and then depending on the result resend it to the seller or just get a real nato strap or a very used daily rocker steel bracelet.
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2013, 04:55 AM   #4
danh1023
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, ExpII
One option (after having it checked by an AD or noted watch maker) since he's a Greenie is the green Everest strap. http://everestbands.com or a green NATO. Surely someone at Adler's or maybe Lee Michaels (depends on where in LA you are) can open it up for you if they have a guy on premises. My watch maker is in Baton Rouge, and he's been great.
I would leave the bezel as is. That's a great looking watch, and is one I'm on the lookout for as of late.
danh1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2013, 09:44 AM   #5
jbird
"TRF" Member

I like the idea of a green band rather than bezel. Just my .2 cents.
jbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2013, 09:44 AM   #6
dgguidry
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice, I plan on having it looked at as soon as I get it.
Old 8 March 2013, 10:07 AM   #7
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooltzar View Post
I would first go to an Ad and check it for authenticity. I also looked at this ebay auction and I am not sure it is really ok. So I would check and then depending on the result resend it to the seller or just get a real nato strap or a very used daily rocker steel bracelet.
What in specific is the concern about "not sure it is really ok"?
TimeToGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 02:35 PM   #8
skprd13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675-1680-16750
Why don't you get him the Hulk!
skprd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 03:34 PM   #9
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Great gift...looks like a very nice example to me, he's going to love it
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 04:31 PM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
What in specific is the concern about "not sure it is really ok"?
It looks "ok" to me. I didn't see anything indicating a problem.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 10:36 PM   #11
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Looks to be a nice example a 1680 white Submariner. The dial appears to be what some collectors would call a Mk 3 dial, which is a way to say that there were 2 other dial variants that preceded this one. The dial is in mint condition with attractive patina. Hands have a bit of corrosion which is very common on vintage watches. Bezel insert looks nice. I would find a nice condition 93150 oyster bracelet and put the watch on it. I am sure he will be pleased.
Old 27 June 2013, 12:01 AM   #12
Mark020
"TRF" Member

What is the serial?
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 01:02 AM   #13
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
IMO it's not appropriate for daily wear (if that's what is it intended for) with the high crystal that can get caught and or bump on everything and questionable waterproofness, at best. Plus, one good nudge and the hand could send loose particles all over the face.

just saying....
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 01:16 AM   #14
benoize
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 17000 OQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
I like the idea of a green band rather than bezel. Just my .2 cents.
Wow! Looks like advice is just getting cheaper and cheaper! .2 cents: that's one fifth of a cent!
(sorry, couldn't help myself!)
benoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 02:19 AM   #15
BaltimoreBrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: iZ
A few of the replies here are great ones regarding a vintage piece, like this 1680. I too have a vintage 1680 and this is a nice example of a great watch.

You posted in the VINTAGE watch section and that is going to get responses from vintage owners and lovers. I am sure if you were to post in the general ROLEX section, you would get responses from those who don't own or have as much passion for vintage.

The 1680 is comfortable for daily wear, the crystal is not sapphire. It can scratch and will get scratched, but can easily be polished out and if necessary replaced. Those with plexi crystals do appreciate them and like the ease of buffing them out.

Personally, i have a bracelet and straps for my 1680. I use both, and both are comfortable. If you were looking for a bracelet, i prefer the solid link 93150 rather than the folded link, that probably originally came with this watch. You can get green straps in nylon, leather, and suede. The NATO straps look great on these pieces.

I think this is a very nice graduation gift, and since your son was already wanting vintage, nothing better than a vintage Rolex sub!

I am not an expert, but i do also own the 50th anniversary LV watch with the green bezel insert. That watch is a different model (a 16610) than this 1680. I don't know that ROLEX makes a green insert that will fit the 1680. The insert that you have looks to be original, and certainly looks great with the watch.

The dial has an even patina to it and that helps give it that vintage look. I don't see any evidence of chipping of the lume or water damage. Looks good to go.

I think your son will like this!
BaltimoreBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 02:24 AM   #16
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Great gift and generous dad! Good pick

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 02:38 AM   #17
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBrian View Post
A few of the replies here are great ones regarding a vintage piece, like this 1680. I too have a vintage 1680 and this is a nice example of a great watch.

You posted in the VINTAGE watch section and that is going to get responses from vintage owners and lovers. I am sure if you were to post in the general ROLEX section, you would get responses from those who don't own or have as much passion for vintage.

The 1680 is comfortable for daily wear, the crystal is not sapphire. It can scratch and will get scratched, but can easily be polished out and if necessary replaced. Those with plexi crystals do appreciate them and like the ease of buffing them out.

Personally, i have a bracelet and straps for my 1680. I use both, and both are comfortable. If you were looking for a bracelet, i prefer the solid link 93150 rather than the folded link, that probably originally came with this watch. You can get green straps in nylon, leather, and suede. The NATO straps look great on these pieces.

I think this is a very nice graduation gift, and since your son was already wanting vintage, nothing better than a vintage Rolex sub!

I am not an expert, but i do also own the 50th anniversary LV watch with the green bezel insert. That watch is a different model (a 16610) than this 1680. I don't know that ROLEX makes a green insert that will fit the 1680. The insert that you have looks to be original, and certainly looks great with the watch.

The dial has an even patina to it and that helps give it that vintage look. I don't see any evidence of chipping of the lume or water damage. Looks good to go.

Spot on advice from Brian.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse spelling, punctuation, and brevity.
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 03:22 AM   #18
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
IMO it's not appropriate for daily wear (if that's what is it intended for) with the high crystal that can get caught and or bump on everything and questionable waterproofness, at best. Plus, one good nudge and the hand could send loose particles all over the face.

just saying....
I have to disagree, the 1680 is a tough b**tard of a watch and mine takes all the abuse I can throw at it while still looking amazing and keeping better than COSC specs...

just saying.... though you do have a point with the hands
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 01:19 PM   #19
sishac
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 5512
I'm going to buck tradition and say pick up an aftermarket (gasp!) green insert on ebay. The inserts are easy enough to swap out, and as long as you don't get rid of the original, it's an easy fix. Just make sure it is for a 1680. As it is a graduation gift, I would also get it engraved...his initials, love Dad or something like that. He will never get rid of it. I went to Loyola and I have considered getting an aftermarket green GMT insert for my 1675 for a while now.
sishac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 01:34 PM   #20
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBrian View Post

You are correct. Rolex does not make green bezel inserts for the 1680 acrylic crystal.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 07:21 PM   #21
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sishac View Post
I'm going to buck tradition and say pick up an aftermarket (gasp!) green insert on ebay. The inserts are easy enough to swap out, and as long as you don't get rid of the original, it's an easy fix. Just make sure it is for a 1680. As it is a graduation gift, I would also get it engraved...his initials, love Dad or something like that. He will never get rid of it. I went to Loyola and I have considered getting an aftermarket green GMT insert for my 1675 for a while now.

Hell... an aftermarket green insert on a classic vintage 1680...
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 11:20 PM   #22
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The OP hasn't updated this thread in more than three months. I wonder what ever happened?
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 09:27 AM   #23
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
The OP hasn't updated this thread in more than three months. I wonder what ever happened?
Doesn't sound too good
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 10:59 PM   #24
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Hi

1680 is beautiful watch and your son will love it! I have tried mine on a number of different NATOs but always end up going back to the steel oyster bracelet. Strikes me as the best combination though each to his own!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote