The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 3 June 2022, 06:44 AM   #1
DMinor
"TRF" Member

Should I purchase the Breitling Mint Navitimer?

Hello all,

I'm new to watches and have the bug. I've been reading up so I have an appreciation of the market.

The reason I got into watches initially was because I'm a younger lawyer with my own office. When I go up against older lawyers at bigger firms, it's good to flaunt a little bit of status and wealth so they don't throw chump change offers my way. As a result, I began investigating watches and that's why I'm here now.

I appreciate the holy trinity and am working on getting a Rolex from one of my local dealers. I appreciate that that is a long game and I'm willing to wait.

In the meanwhile, I've discovered the Breitling Mint Navitimer (41). I think the watch is gorgeous, but I'm aware that it does not carry the same status as other brands, such as Rolex. I find this to be true, not just with watch snobs, but even the snobby professionals I deal with here in Los Angeles. As much as I think it's beautiful, purchasing this watch may defeat the whole purpose of buying one in the first place.

My local dealer is giving me 15% off the bat and I believe I can get him down to around 7000 for the watch. That said, I understand most Navitimers will depreciate like water goes down Niagara Falls, so I have a dilemma.

Do you think I should buy this watch while I wait for a Rolex?

Here are some considerations:

1. Do you think the Mint 41 will show up on the after market?
2. If it shows up on the aftermarket, do you think it will be substantially cheaper than 7000?

Let me know what you think!
DMinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2022, 11:52 AM   #2
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
1. Do you think the Mint 41 will show up on the after market?
2. If it shows up on the aftermarket, do you think it will be substantially cheaper than 7000?

Let me know what you think!
I think the watch resale value bubble is bursting. Buying a watch just to flip it may not be a good "investment". Buy a watch because you are going to keep it for a long time.

I would consider a Grand Seiko, real watch guys will know you know watches. It also is a back hand snub of the watch just to show off. BTW Rolex is not one of the holy trinity.
Isochronous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2022, 07:39 AM   #3
greeneyedguy
Banned

That green navi is beautiful. I've tried it on. I wanted it but already have too many watches. AP, Vacheron, and Patek are the holy trinity. I picked this up last fall and when I'm wearing long sleeves which I'm guessing you do because of your profession I always wear this. GS Omiwatari.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4309 copy.jpg (235.1 KB, 390 views)
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2022, 07:51 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Should I purchase the Breitling Mint Navitimer?

I’d buy a Calatrava to avoid concerns about depreciation. Rainmakers know more about you than your watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2022, 11:20 PM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Call me crazy but buying and owning a watch at the risk of depreciation is a more clear indicator of having money and taste than any SS Rolex that can be viewed as a damn money market account.
Old 6 June 2022, 01:09 AM   #6
B01fan
"TRF" Member

15% off for one of the new Navitimers strikes me as a reasonable discount. You might be able to get another 5%, but you have to take into account what your time is worth, whether this is intended to be a relationship-building piece, etc.
B01fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2022, 02:53 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
Do you think I should buy this watch while I wait for a Rolex?
No.

The Navitimer is a watch icon far more than most Rolex models.

It sounds like you do not really want this watch. Don't buy it
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2022, 11:47 AM   #8
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
No, unless you don't mind losing 50% right out of the gate. Call it depreciation or being way overpriced. That's Breitling today!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2022, 12:48 AM   #9
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedguy View Post
I always wear this. GS Omiwatari.
For what it's worth GS is rated just below the holy trinity along with Rolex. I have a spring drive and no spring powered watch comes close in accuracy. Of course we don't wear mechanical watches for their accuracy.
Old 9 June 2022, 09:03 AM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Call me crazy but buying and owning a watch at the risk of depreciation is a more clear indicator of having money and taste than any SS Rolex that can be viewed as a damn money market account.
Well said! I’ve always thought exactly the same.

OP: Buy the Navi. It’s a beautiful watch, and you love it, and that’s all that matters.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2022, 10:42 PM   #11
RolexUwe
"TRF" Member

Ignore the comments about depreciation and investment and instead focus on buying what makes you smile when you look at the time. Remember, cars are depreciating assets too! Breitling has been on a roll and is absolutely killing it. If you want to "flex your watch muscle" then this mint Navitimer is a classy, tasteful way of showing you are successful. Here's a chance to be yourself, differentiate yourself professionally and with your watch! You will love it for years. Go for the Breitling!
RolexUwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2022, 10:54 PM   #12
karwath
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 white
Buy the watch you want and do it for you.

In most instances I doubt you are going to really be in a position to "show off" your watch to opposing counsel and many will likely not know or care what brand of watch you are wearing.

A mint green or ice blue Navitimer might be eye catching enough to warrant attention that most other watches would not, but with Zoom hearings, mediations, and depositions becoming more of the norm in the post-Covid era, how often are you even interacting with others "in-person" so that they could possibly even see/notice your watch?
karwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 05:39 AM   #13
Argo98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Exactly ! 100% correct !
Argo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2022, 11:34 PM   #14
greeneyedguy
Banned

The mint green looks so good! If it sings to you then go for it!
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2022, 01:23 PM   #15
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

Get a 45mm+ Breitling chronometer. The white sub dials catch the eye. I noticed Senators wearing them on CSPAN.
Old 25 June 2022, 02:10 AM   #16
GCBC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15400
super hot watch, nobodys discounting the traditional colors. 9500$ for the bracelet 43mm 9400 for the 41 both with inhouse movement. Cheapest ive seen is 8200+tax. its new model of the icon not a watch going for 3-400% of its msrp based solely on speculation with no enthusiast base...
buy it. whats the worst that can happen? you end up with a piece that you like to help start your collection
GCBC is offline   Reply With Quote